Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not Rock Polish and Wide Lens to boost Head Smash accuracy?
Wide Lens isn't that good, as it only raises the accuracy of Stone Edge by 8. (As w/ Head Smash)
Plus, you'd have to predict a switch to set up, while your opponent gains more momentum.
Head Smash kills your precious dinosaur, and the added power isn't that worth it unless you don't plan to use your dino that much.
I've been able to pull off a couple sweeps with D-Claw & Scarf.
Besides, the added speed at the start is MUCH better for Revenge Killing.

The capsule doesn't work for or against HAs. Rock Head Dinos will likely come from an event, or some kind of hidden thing in the next game.

Right now I am using this moveset.

Tyrantrum@ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

He has strong defence, if your opponent doesn't have special attacks or strong physical attacks he can survive well after a dragon dance and eat his berry to gain hp. It works well in my team, and helps a lot agaist Talonflame. :D

The reason why I don't use dragon claw is that dragon type attacks are super effective only agaist dragon type pokemon and thats why ice fang looks to me much more usefull than a stab dragon claw. Tyrantrum's ability gives the same neary (I know there is 22.5 power difference between them) stab power to ice fang so I don't think there is a reason to have a dragon type attack in the moveset. But if he have had access to outrage and rock head (may be in pokemon z? :D) I would have definitely used this moveset here.

Tyrantrum@ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- Outrage

Last edited:
If I'm using a dragon dancer + strong jaw, am I better off with all three elemental fangs for coverage or using EdgeQuake + fang?

Hrothgar
Lol :D That second moveset is for rock head ability (And outrage, a possible movetutor in pokemon Z or in ruby&sapphire remake), I miswrite the ability.

Gabe
I am using dragondance, stone edge, earthquake, fang (ice). It works better.

Bumping because Serebii confirmed Rock Head Tyrunt via Battle of Hoenn Competition!
http://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/battlecompetitions.shtml

Rock Head Head Smash alongside Dragon Dance feels like the scariest things ever. I highly doubt non-resistant Pokemon can even avoid a 2HKO unless Intimidated or EVed heavily in Defense.

Is it alright if somebody can do Calcs on the top OU threats? I am on my phone right now in the middle of class.

+1 252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 219-258 (65.5 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 237-279 (77.9 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 198-234 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 319-376 (60.3 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm gonna puke

any thing that needs a counter to talon flame it can come in and boost.
there isn't much that it can't 2Hko at plus one and if it can reach plus two the only thing that can wall it is named quagsire or mega aggron

I'm on phone but am pretty sure Banded Head Smash has a chance to 2HKO Mega Slowbro too... Its typing is ass defensively for the most part but I can see it breaking walls (bar Hippo/Ferro) very well. Won't take OU by storm but i imagine it will be usable at least. Reminds me of Dragalge except faster and its STAB can be spammed easier because no type immunities or stat drops. Though the accuracy sucks of course.

so what teams does this realistically fit into again? I'm struggling to find a way in which it isn't outclassed
I admit it's probably outclassed, but I do think it is worth considering how it got better or affected the viability rankings.

For these comparisons, I'll be looking at him without an item boost, so a lot of the +1 KOs will hold true for a Choice Band set, though they will more likely be on the switch without the boosted speed.

Most immediately, this thing might put Mega Tyranitar out of whatever job it still had. It hits the exact same speed tier (outspeeding Greninja at +1 Max Speed), while having the utility of an item for power, status buffer, or minor recovery in Leftovers. Doesn't have nearly the same bulk, but T-Tar's typing ultimately negated most of that in practice.
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 291-343 (85.3 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 348-411 (102 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even with no item, Tyrantrum achieves better damage output, and that damage is almost ridiculous enough to forego coverage besides EQ and maybe FF for specific steels like Ferro.
+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 117-138 (33.2 - 39.2%) -- 10.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 272-324 (77.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With SR, there's a good chance at +1 to 2HKO Mega Slowbro, the single bulkiest Physical mon in OU.
+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 163-193 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The thing that makes Tyrantrum a notable DD Wallbreaker, to me, is that Head Smash's ridiculous power almost means he never needs to predict once he boosts. Head Smash might not 2HKO all the resists, but it can knock off enough health that a coverage move will. Tyrantrum doesn't match up the best against offense, but against Stall, or balance, that one boost gives him what he needs to make them cry.

Obviously, his Special bulk and typing don't do him too many favors, but his physical defense is usable enough. His typing and Physical Defense at least mean that mons like Talonflame, Azumarill, Pinsir, or Mamoswine can't revenge him at +1 with their priority without some notable damage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 102-120 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 103-123 (33.6 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 42-50 (13.7 - 16.3%) -- possible 7HKO
240 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 148-174 (48.3 - 56.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Dread Plate Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 144-171 (47 - 55.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO

Again, he's nowhere near levels like Mega Altaria or Metagross, but it's something at least.

I see Tyrantrum (should he be ranked) ending up around Mega T-tar's rank, maybe one rank above because he saves the Mega Slot.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
A DD set will have to run Jolly, otherwise it'll get outsped by Mega Manectric/Lopunny.

Band seems like an okay Wallbreaker on paper. Head Smash does like 40% to Ferrothorn and Fire Fang can OHKO without Strong Jaw, bulky Lando-T only survives the 2HKO from Head Smash like 5% of the time, Mega Sableye takes like 80%, and Mega Bro is guaranteed to get 2HKO'd after Rocks.

A DD set will have to run Jolly, otherwise it'll get outsped by Mega Manectric/Lopunny.

Band seems like an okay Wallbreaker on paper. Head Smash does like 40% to Ferrothorn and Fire Fang can OHKO without Strong Jaw, bulky Lando-T only survives the 2HKO from Head Smash like 5% of the time, Mega Sableye takes like 80%, and Mega Bro is guaranteed to get 2HKO'd after Rocks.
+1 252+ Tyrantrum is outsped by Lopectric anyway -- Tyrant reaches 397, Lopectric reaches 405. Incidentally, this speed ties with +1 252+ Mega T-tar and is outsped by Adamant/Modest Aero/Zam. It can't afford to run Adamant, as you said, because if so it's an extremely slow dancer.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
+1 252+ Tyrantrum is outsped by Lopectric anyway -- Tyrant reaches 397, Lopectric reaches 405. Incidentally, this speed ties with +1 252+ Mega T-tar and is outsped by Adamant/Modest Aero/Zam. It can't afford to run Adamant, as you said, because if so it's an extremely slow dancer.
Probably screwed up the calc somewhere, but yeah Adamant is a no-go.

I'm on phone but am pretty sure Banded Head Smash has a chance to 2HKO Mega Slowbro too... Its typing is ass defensively for the most part but I can see it breaking walls (bar Hippo/Ferro) very well. Won't take OU by storm but i imagine it will be usable at least. Reminds me of Dragalge except faster and its STAB can be spammed easier because no type immunities or stat drops. Though the accuracy sucks of course.
Funny you'd mention Dragalge, because coincidentally, their spammable STABs have almost the exact same power.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 382-450 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 384-453 (112.6 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And that's all with literally no drawbacks bar the less-than-perfect accuracy. This guy seems pretty cool, actually. I might need to build a team around it when I get some free time this weekend.

EDIT @ Below: Yeah, I meant that just Head Smash had no drawbacks rather than both it and Draco Meteor. Bad wording on my part.

Last edited:

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Funny you'd mention Dragalge, because coincidentally, their spammable STABs have almost the exact same power.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 382-450 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 384-453 (112.6 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And that's all with literally no drawbacks bar the less-than-perfect accuracy. This guy seems pretty cool, actually. I might need to build a team around it when I get some free time this weekend.
Draco Meteor has the drawback of lowering Special Attack, almost forcing a switch.
Tyrantrum can spam Head Smash all it wants.

Draco Meteor has the drawback of lowering Special Attack, almost forcing a switch.
Tyrantrum can spam Head Smash all it wants.
I think that's what he meant. Tyrantrum achieves a similar level of power to Drag without any real drawback to his move.
Tyrantrum can either play the part of a niche DDer, or a pretty terrifying physical wallbreaker. Crawdaunt pulls it off decently well, and Tyrant trades priority for a bit of actual bulk, and a main STAB with arguably more spammable typing.

252+ Atk Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 226-268 (66.2 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 256-303 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I think that's what he meant. Tyrantrum achieves a similar level of power to Drag without any real drawback to his move.
Tyrantrum can either play the part of a niche DDer, or a pretty terrifying physical wallbreaker. Crawdaunt pulls it off decently well, and Tyrant trades priority for a bit of actual bulk, and a main STAB with arguably more spammable typing.

252+ Atk Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 226-268 (66.2 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 256-303 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Wow. Considering Crawdaunt is BL, then Tyrantrum may be a solid BL or LowU Pokemon.

Bumping because Serebii confirmed Rock Head Tyrunt via Battle of Hoenn Competition!
http://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/battlecompetitions.shtml

Rock Head Head Smash alongside Dragon Dance feels like the scariest things ever. I highly doubt non-resistant Pokemon can even avoid a 2HKO unless Intimidated or EVed heavily in Defense.

Is it alright if somebody can do Calcs on the top OU threats? I am on my phone right now in the middle of class.
FINALLY!!!

I've been waiting for this for so long. Granted, the oras metagame is a bit different from the xy one but I'm still confident tyrantrum is about to tear ou a new one!

i think that it is probably better off running fighting coverage over fire for the sake of power you can only realy hit 3 things with fire coverage only two are any good( fero thorn and scizor) Scizor eats tyrantrum for breakfast as is with either a choice band (252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 278-330 (91.1 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO)or a mega stone
(252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 206-246 (67.5 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock)
considering tyrantrum to be set up at that point it probably took a hit and is dead. while it fails to ko with firefang if it hasn't boosted yet. and it can't 1hko ferrothorn after a boost and stealth rock with fire fang
(+1 252 Atk Tyrantrum Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 272-324 (77.2 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery)
those are two of the best checks but don't like switching in much
the only thin that can switch into it's attacks relably is unaware quagsire
(0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 164-194 (53.7 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)(252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 93-110 (23.6 - 27.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery)
the shear power behind this thing can really leave a dent in any team it has the added benefit of resisting flying and normal priority so it checks talon flame nicely and can't be revenged by mega pinsir
it is how ever weak to both fighting and steel
conkeldor makes for a great check as it can tank any non crit heal with drain punch then mach punch it to death
the main diference between tyrantrum and mega tyranitar is there diversity
tyrantrum has a much more spamble stab do to increased power
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 195-229 (48.2 - 56.6%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
while tyranitar gets more bang for his buck on coverage
252 Atk Tyrantrum Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (normal)Celebi: 104-123 (25.7 - 30.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (normal)Celebi: 130-153 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
i think the main advantage mega tyranitar has over tyrantrum is bulk, coverage and chip damage from sand storm (if it got sucker punch it would out class tyrantrum all together)
well tyrantrum has more power and doesn't take a mega slot
they are really similar in what they actually can accomplish even if tyranitar does a better job in general the lower opertunity cost of tyrantrum is enough to give it some viability.

Last edited:
Earlier in the thread, someone posted calcs showing that, especially DDance set, doesn't need to run max attack to destroy things with head smash. A little hp investment goes a long way to avoid the OHKO at the hands of bullet punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)