Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think using Dragon Stab on Tyrantrum is worthy anyway, maybe only on a scarf set.

Head Smash + EQ are the core, then u can put Rock Slide to have a most safe Rock Stab on danger moments, Iron Head is considerable to hit fairies (not all this good tbh), Zen Headbutt is excellent to OHKO Fighting types, and of course we have the 3 classic fangs that can give a lot of help on the coverage.

Even Stealth Rock is a viable choice, but i don't see any real reason to waste a slot w/ a dragon stab.

Head smash does more than iron head btw on fairies
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 265-313 (67.2 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
So no, iron head shouldn't be used, and the rocks get hit by EQ anyways

I don't think Stealth Rock would be that good on Trum either. He's a wallbreaker, and he can't really afford running it in place of another move.

For a coverage option to be worth it, it has to be able to hit the target for decently more than Head Smash. That in turn requires the move to have a decently high BP already

2x Resisted Head Smash has a BP of 112.5
4x has 56.25

So usually, Head Smash has to be a 4x resist, or a 2x resist and the coverage option super-effective with enough of a BP difference
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 134-158 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 119-141 (28.3 - 33.5%) -- 95.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

The fang moves aren't really worthwhile coverage unless they strike a target for 4x damage given their low BP, and many Fang targets are probably neutral anyway and have to be caught on the switch
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 214-253 (50.9 - 60.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 199-235 (52 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 274-324 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Mega Scizor: 262-309 (76.3 - 90%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As far as Dragon STAB, I could see some merit in it, mostly because it's Tyrantrum's second strongest move in terms of BP. On top of still being hard neutrally to switch into barring Fairies and Steels, Outrage's power is usually enough to beat the few targets that the fangs might've earned their keep against
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 193-228 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 458-540 (109 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As far as his own coverage, Tyrantrum's concern isn't "coverage that can KO" as often as it is "coverage that will put them in Head Smash range", or coverage that beats something he can't get in that range. For a Band set, I foresee something like this being his best option

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Superpower/Earthquake
- Toxic/Superpower/Earthquake

Outrage bops most targets with a Base 120 STAB move, while also having a coverage move for one or two bulky Steels/Rock Resists (whatever they might be). Either run both, or Toxic to just deal with the most persistent ones or soften them up for a teammate without worrying about prediction.

Head Smash's obscene power leaves very few cases where Tyrantrum's concern is "Should I Head Smash?" as opposed to "How do I get off a Head Smash?"

I really recomend you guys try out this set

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws
- Rock Polish

I do really think Tyty is bulky enough to setup 2x, and more easier using the fact that tyrantrum forces switch
100% acc head smash with hone claws and with rock polish makes him faster than 110 scarf users latios, keldeo ( 108 speed), charizard +1 dd (100 speed)
This set is in case you want to use him in OU tier, if you want to play in UU or in his current tier, RU, the need of max speed is not that necessary, the fastest treats in UU are mega aerodactyl, +1 jolly Mega sharpedo and DD salamence.
You can use:
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature

And finally in RU tier, the fastest treats are ambipom and cincinno with 115 speed (do you really fear them ?) you can use:

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws
- Rock Polish

or

Tyrantrum @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws
- Dragon Dance

TL;DR put hone claws in your builds, you really cant afford to lose because of 80 acc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)