Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having played with Tyrantrum a bit I can safely say Dragon STAB on this thing is a fools errand it serves absolutely no purpose other then making it a inferior Haxorus.

Strong Jaw is absolutely fantastic turning the normally useless elemental fang's into potent physical attacks, Tyrantrum has a massive case of 4MSS. Especially with a DD set, Rock STAB is required leaving only two move slots where Crunch, EQ or any of the 3 elements are all equally viable, Tyrantrum is basically what Electivire always wanted to be but never could achieve.
Dragon Claw may not be the best STAB move on him but I wouldn't say it serves no purpose atleast when using the Rock Head set. It provides a safe reliable STAB option when you do not want to risk a Head Smash miss and it also OHKO Garchomp's that hold Yache Berry which Ice Fang fails to do without Strong Jaw. It may be of small use on him but then again so is running Thunder Fang just to beat out Keldeo, who is not guaranteed to be KO'ed from a LO Rock Polish set with Strong Jaw(68%), meaning he needs to run DD to secure the KO which risks him being outsped by Keldeo's with a scarf. Both moves have their pro's and con's and both have small niches where they work giving them some usage in certain situations which is enough for some players to run them. Lets just hope with the next game Tyrantrum can learn Outrage because that will definitely be worth running.

Okay just think of Tyrantrum the same way people think of Malamar being Spinda 2.0 it is Rampardos 2.0. It has better bulk, better HeadSmash abusing (assuming Rock Head is true), and slightly better typing. However, yes they are virtually the same and if you have used Rampardos in NU before then you can judge what set you'd want to use Tyrantrum with. What SheerForcepardos does, StrongJawtrum does (albiet better); Moldbreakerpardos, and Rockheadtrum. So just go from there...thats how ill do it at least
Yes I know that is how I was thinking about him, I was replying to the suggestion that Banded Rampardos with Head Smash outclasses Banded Tyrantrum with Head Smash which I believe to be false. I am confused as what you are trying to tell me as you post is agreeing with me but comes off as if you are trying to counter my statement.

Last edited:
Aggron is not better with Sturdy, it's useless with Sturdy (in OU it's useless with any ability, but this is besides the point). In the tier where Aggron is actually a significant threat, RU, Rock Head is always the ability of choice. STAB Rock Head Head Smash is just too good to pass up, it's just as nikovan said.
I guess it depends on which role your aggron is fufilling.

Dragon Claw may not be the best STAB move on him but I wouldn't say it serves no purpose atleast when using the Rock Head set. I
Until there is a remote confirmation of a obtainable Rock Head Tyrantrum I refuse to entertain theorymon on it.
Strong Jaw is really not that useful on a Pokemon that gets STAB recoil-free Head Smash.
And this statement completely breaks down here because it doesn't and until it does you may as well sing praises of Shadow Tag Chandelure and how it dumped the the entity of the community at the altar on the day of the wedding. Till then Strong Jaw has a place as reliable backup coverage moves for various occasions since it's going to be there by default, I wouldn't stop you using a recoil Head Smash (hell I use it) but I sure as hell aren't going to waste my HP on something I could kill with a coverage move and save HP for the big spongy stuff.

Seb125 i was expanding on your correlation of both T-rexs though I didnt notice your comment was based on a Bandedpardos comment. On paper i think Banded Rampardos does more with Head Smash but its just as damaging as using Archeops with Head Smash

I thought that Rock Head on Tyrantrum was confirmed. If not, then we'll have to wait and see.
The hidden ability was only spotted through the Battle Maison as a NPC Pokemon, but nobody has seen a playable one at all not even in the Safari's even Serebii retracted the statement of it getting Rock Head because of this so yeah it's a wait and see.

I think I'm with Forsety on this one, Dragon STAB doesn't feel particularly fulfilling for Tyrantrum. Hell, even Earthquake's sheer power might be better forsaken in favor of the Fire/Thunder/Ice Fang's coverage, since they're nearly as powerful as Flamethrower/Tbolt/Ibeam were up until now after Strong Jaw. I'm thinkin' Rock Polish/Head Smash/Fire Fang/Ice Fang sounds a tad more appealing to me than the RP set listed in the OP.

I think I'm with Forsety on this one, Dragon STAB doesn't feel particularly fulfilling for Tyrantrum. Hell, even Earthquake's sheer power might be better forsaken in favor of the Fire/Thunder/Ice Fang's coverage, since they're nearly as powerful as Flamethrower/Tbolt/Ibeam were up until now after Strong Jaw. I'm thinkin' Rock Polish/Head Smash/Fire Fang/Ice Fang sounds a tad more appealing to me than the RP set listed in the OP.
If you decide on StrongJaw use the Fang moves over EQ. If you use RockHead i say use EQ and one other fangmove

A great partner I discovered for this guy would be Moltres. 90/90/90 with access to Roost is decent, and Flare Body/WoW help with the physical side. Moltres is resistant to most of Tyrantum's weaknesses. x2 resistances for Steel, Fairy, and Fighting, and immunity to Ground, and a good 4x resistance to otherwise neutral Grass moves. Scizor won't appreciate a body burn from his Bullet Punch. Yeah yeah Stealth Rock, but Defog can help you there. Sunny Day can further diminish Water moves and give him a powerful Fire Fang to use on Head Smash resistant Steels. Alternatively it could throw up a Sandstorm to help with the SpD for a little, and trap would be counters with Fire Spin allowing Tyrantrum a turn to set up. Throw a Gardevoir in the third slot to eat those initial Dragon moves and ya got yerself a decent core if you're dead set on this guy sweeping. Gardevoir's amazing special bulk and offensively threatening Fairy type with a terrific support movepool only help further as you either help Moltres burn the Physical threats and throw up a Light Screen or slow 'em down with Thunder Wave.

...could work.

A great partner I discovered for this guy would be Moltres. 90/90/90 with access to Roost is decent, and Flare Body/WoW help with the physical side. Moltres is resistant to most of Tyrantum's weaknesses. x2 resistances for Steel, Fairy, and Fighting, and immunity to Ground, and a good 4x resistance to otherwise neutral Grass moves. Scizor won't appreciate a body burn from his Bullet Punch. Yeah yeah Stealth Rock, but Defog can help you there. Sunny Day can further diminish Water moves and give him a powerful Fire Fang to use on Head Smash resistant Steels. Alternatively it could throw up a Sandstorm to help with the SpD for a little, and trap would be counters with Fire Spin allowing Tyrantrum a turn to set up. Throw a Gardevoir in the third slot to eat those initial Dragon moves and ya got yerself a decent core if you're dead set on this guy sweeping. Gardevoir's amazing special bulk and offensively threatening Fairy type with a terrific support movepool only help further as you either help Moltres burn the Physical threats and throw up a Light Screen or slow 'em down with Thunder Wave.

...could work.
Or you could use MegaZardY instead of Moltres since he is better in almost every possible way. 78/78/115 with access to roost, 29 more SpA, 10 more speed, resistant to the same things, and free sunny day. The only thing it won't do is burn scizor 30% of the time, which is a very niche reason to pick moltres in the first place (Heatran would be better, especially with Assault Vest). And then simply use a Sylveon or something for a more defensive Gardevoir.

Last edited:
I still say thing at least supporters in UU. I dont see this Rex going to OU (most gen vi i see in UU or RU)
Yeah, I can definitely see Tyrantrum as a major threat in UU as he needs a good deal of support to successfully sweep in OU(unless you are using a Choice Band/Scarf). However I think he will do perfectly fine in OU with the right team built around him as he does occupy a niche of being one of the only physically based dragon that can simultaneously beat both Togekiss and Skarmory. Most other dragons that rely on their physical attacks(Garchomp, Dragonite,Haxorus) have to choose to beat one and be walled by the other. I guess Kyurem-B with Fusion Bolts can also accomplish this but unlike Kyurem, Tyrantrum has set up moves outside of HoneClaws which make it harder to revenge kill outside of priority moves.

This is my current set guys:

Tyrantrum @ Weakness Policy
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Fang
- Rock Polish
- EQ/Crunch
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge

Ice Fang > Dragon Claw bc of Strong Jaw obv

Great I just assumed Tyrunt learned the fangs himself, and didn't bother trying to get a female, just one with a good nature :( I guess I need to hunt for a female now.

My planned Moveset was:

Poison Fang
Ice Fang/Dragons Claw
EQ/Fire Fang/Crunch
Rock Slide/Stone Edge

I was only set on Poison Fang to deal with Fairy's(whats the power after Strong Jaw? 75 BP? Not bad coming from that Monster Attack) I wanted to use as many Biting moves as Possible, but my Team needs and EQer, Seriously I think I overlooked that accidentally, mainly because no good Ground type pokemon appeared this Gen... so that may Replace Fire Fang or Crunch. While I would get stab on Dragon's claw, you have the fact that Fairy's are immune to it, so Ice Fang would be better when dealing with Dragons. As for Rock Slide or Stone edge, I want 1 stab move.

Females pass down egg moves now too, go find a female arbok.
Well... I still need a female Tyrunt to get a baby Tyrunt now do I? Plus, wouldn't be easier to use Seviper?

female arbok wont help for anything since the baby will be of the females pokemon species. he'd just breed more ekans with it.
Responding as I was typing. Nice :)

But seriously, with an ability called Strong Jaw, you would THINK it would learn all the fangs naturally wouldn't you?!

I was only set on Poison Fang to deal with Fairy's(whats the power after Strong Jaw? 75 BP? Not bad coming from that Monster Attack) I wanted to use as many Biting moves as Possible, but my Team needs and EQer, Seriously I think I overlooked that accidentally, mainly because no good Ground type pokemon appeared this Gen... so that may Replace Fire Fang or Crunch. While I would get stab on Dragon's claw, you have the fact that Fairy's are immune to it, so Ice Fang would be better when dealing with Dragons. As for Rock Slide or Stone edge, I want 1 stab move.
Strong Jaw is a 50% increase and Poison Fang has 50 power, so yeah, 75. The thing that sucks about it, though, is that it only works on fairies. But that may just make it worth it since Tyrantrum is weak to them.

It makes it rather difficult to choose between the four fangs and Crunch. You'd have to round it around what your team needs. You may even want to forgo a Rock-type move completely, since you can get Boltbeam coverage from Thunder and Ice Fangs and then hit fairies super effectively with Poison Fang. That kinda leaves you stranded against most Steel types, though.

We need Fist Fang!

what exactly would you use crunch on that can't be head-smashed to death anyway? the stuff that does resist rock is better hit with another coverage move

So I take that to mean you are against having physical boltbeamthrower coverage stronger then the actual moves themselves? To each their own, I suppose.
I, for one, will enjoy having good Physical BoltBeam on something. It's almost unique, I can't think out of the top of my head any other physical BoltBeam abuser. It deffinitely has to give him a niche.

Strong Jaw is a 50% increase and Poison Fang has 50 power, so yeah, 75. The thing that sucks about it, though, is that it only works on fairies. But that may just make it worth it since Tyrantrum is weak to them.

It makes it rather difficult to choose between the four fangs and Crunch. You'd have to round it around what your team needs. You may even want to forgo a Rock-type move completely, since you can get Boltbeam coverage from Thunder and Ice Fangs and then hit fairies super effectively with Poison Fang. That kinda leaves you stranded against most Steel types, though.

We need Fist Fang!
Just Fairy's, but getting in a SE attack is nice. Plus, that Badly poison chance is not bad.

Actually, I just thought of a Good Set.

Poison Fang
Ice Fang
Thunder/Fire Fang
Earthquake

With this set, you hit everything Neutrally. With Fire Fang you actually hit Everything in the game, while with Thunder fang you can hit Shedinja (lol Shedinja) Sure, you iss out on that powerful Crunch, and a STAB attack, but I think the coverage with an Adament nature and Choice bang, will make up for it. Give is 252 Attack and split the rest in HP and Defense and you got a VERY hard hitting Bulky Wall.

We need Fist Fang!
I would stay away from Poison Fang and give a Strong Jaw Tyrantrum either Boltbeam or Ice/Fire. PoisonFang just lets you hit fairies which would take a harder hit (i believe) from a STAB Head Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)