U-turn (Peaked #9)

Peaked #9

Hi, This is my first post so, feel free to not only evaluate my team, but also my post.

Basicaly, this team, I name it UUturn. Not that I use a lot of u-turn but the concept that I take when building this team is to keep momentum with u-turn and volt switch. This team manage to give me 20 wins out of 21 match (before I went sundowning :( ) So without further ado, I'll introduce you to my team.

Uxie

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

I still don't understand why people use uxie only for its bulk. Yes, it's bulky as hell. Till now, the only thing that manage to OHKO my uxie are Heracross's Megahorn, Yanmega's Bug buzz, and Chandelure's Shadow ball. But then, uxie has 1 more great asset, its speed. By putting it as a lead, not only I can incapacitate 1 pokemon with trick to screw my opponent's momentum, I can also guarantee stealth rock on the opponent field. Uxie screw a lot of bulky lead such as empoleon and bronzong. But even against attacking lead such as azelf, mew, raikou, or rhyperior, the underrated trick (pun not intended) is actually as reliable as hell. Locking them into subs, sr, taunt, magic coat, or boosting move is always nice. Sometimes even locking them into attacking move except u-turn/volt switch gives me a free turn. I usually let uxie die in the middle of the game though, by spamming u-turn for switching in others. Uxie is a great u-turn spammer for 2 reason, her speed let her bypass most defensive pokemon while her bulk let it take hits from faster opponent, including opponent weak u-turns. Overall, despite the lack of offensive presence, uxie fares well against myriad type of lead and deserve the spot to be #1 favorite UU lead (well, uxie should be one).
(PS: it screw a lot of xatu switch in, hoping that magic bounce will bounce SR; which is always super nice)

Yanmega (F)

@ Choice Specs
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Giga Drain

Ahhh, the ancient dragonfly. Despite its bad typing (come on, 50% stripped by 1 entry hazard); its special attack is one point above Raikou. Slap choice specs, modest nature, and speed boost; voila, you got yourself a powerful force. Bug buzz and air slash is STAB, with great secondary effect if u're lucky. u-turn is to keep the momentum, although I usually just spam bug buzz since with specs, it deals a ton of damage. Giga drain is nice to kill of Swampert and heal that annoying sr damage of, if u ever have to switch in while it's on the field (This yanmega is ready to switch in on any scarfed fighting attack even with sr on if needed, thanks to its pathetic yet useful bug/flying typing granting it x4 resist). While tinted lens is awesome, Speed boost allow me to use modest as with more than 1 speed boost, more often than not, Yanmega is ready to sweep weakened team and buzz its way to victory.

Hitmontop (M)

@ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat

If you use yanmega without a spinner, you are a douche. For this noble task, I choose Hitmontop. Resist SR coupled with intimidate and a simple tanking ev spread, hitmontop keeps the offensive momentum alive while tanking hits like champ. I used techTop once with bullet punch replacing sucker punch but with that, Hitmontop can't reliably counter Cinccino nor Ambipom without intimidate softening the hit(s) (miss its ability to effectively revenge kill mismagius and froslass though.) Too bad I can't use HJK with mach punch; in the end, mach punch is the only reliable priority in this team and it's too good to be passed. But close combat do some justice. Only 10 point behind and protect-proof, it's only downfall is spdef-def reducing nature, which is quite ok considering hitmontop is not my primary wall.
(PS: Hitmontop's defenses is actually so good, it survives life orbed kingdra's Draco Meteor, one of the most powerful special attack in UU and has 50% chance to survive flygon's banded outrage without factoring intimidate)

Suicune

@ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Roar

The legendary pokemon that used to be the only legendary dog to roam OU. In UU, suicune is the king of physical tank. Maximizing its defense, tanking earthquake from Rhyperior or Close combat from Heracross is not that hard. Added with the fact that rest is used, only a handful of physical attack can break it's defense. Scald is as good as ever on a bulky water while roar is because calm mind Slowbro, substitute Azumarill and sword dancing stuff is everywhere. Kinda thinking about using toxic but 4 move slot syndrome really hurts sometimes and it's counterproductive with scald. In the end, Suicune gives me the ability to check a myriad number of physical threat.

Snorlax (F)

@ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Return
- Earthquake

I used to have scarf Zoroark with all the u turn, flamethrower, night daze and focus blast. But as I was laddering in PO using the same team, I realized that it doesn't have that great of power (shaymin is not ko-ed with flamethrower) and good player catch up on illusion very quickly. So, I throw him aside and introduce the long awaited special tank to my beloved team. It has held a choice band once and it has been rest talk phazing snorlax once, but this is the best choice. Even without recovery move, leftovers provides a way to prolong its life and being able to change move every turn is great. It took around 38% from shaymin life orbed seed flare, the most powerful special based attack in the entire UU I think, and it doesn't even resist it. Specs HP fighting from chandelure won't even 2HKO this behemoth. And not like its pathetic pink blob sister, Snorlax is ready to pound non rock/steel/ghost typed monster with 102 based return, before STAB. While pursuit is weak, it usually does around more than 75% to a fleeing chandelure, stopping it from coming back the 2nd time around, assuming sr is on. Fire punch and earthquake is mainly for empoleon, bronzong, registeel, regirock, and ferroseed; covering steel or rock typed pokemon that can't be touched by return.

Rotom-Mow

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Trick

Rotom-Mow is underrated. It gives me answer to my sole problem, bulky water and bulky flying. While shaymin or raikou seems like a good idea for this slot, Rotom Mow is more reliable. While nasty plot Togekiss laugh at leaf storm, it suffers under volt switch. Swampert cannot just recklessly switch hoping for volt switch as 1 wrong move and leaf storm will kiss it goodbye. With levitate, good typing (resist water while neutral to SR, unlike zapdos) trick, and pain split, it's one of the best pokemon to screw up bulky water, especially when they forgot to pack ice beam. And for additional value, it x4 resist electric means that even with no investment in spdef nor speed, modest specs Raikou's thunder will have very little chance for 3HKO (either 3 times max damage enrollment or 1 crit is needed). This little guy makes it ok for me to not having ground type. Overall, Rotom Mow is a lovely cute volt switcher that's ready to wreck my opponent's team.

Well, that's all my team. I hope you can review it and tell me where to tweak it. Thank you for reading ^^.

Past Member:
Zoroark (M)

@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Illusion
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Night Daze
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

I usually used it as a lead, faking it as uxie. Since a lot of people taunt uxie, trick it, attacking it with dark ghost or whatever it is, it's nice when they do all those things only to find out zoroark doesn't care for all of that. But then, I realize that to keep my illusion working, I need to constantly clear the field, keep uxie at the back of my team, which is suck, and sometime wreck my gameplay because I need to consider decepting my opponent later with illusion. Night daze is nice and flamethrower + focus blast complement it nicely. But the lack of flame power (shaymin only 2HKO while seed flare close the curtain), focus blast's terrible accuracy, and night daze kinda shaky acc with not so much power (togekiss will win against this zoroark) give zoroark another minus point. Eventually, rather than trying to keep u-turning back from my problem (pun intended), I decide to employ a special defense tank. Since then, I have never turned back.

PS: This team peak 2nd place in PO ^^

ss234

bop.
Hey there. This looks like a pretty solid team, with not a lot of weaknesses, so well done on that.

However, Suicune and Hitmontop really don't fit in with the offensive nature of the team. Suicune is a wall, and completely loses your momentum. That Hitmontop set is really quite poor, as it has to rely on Sucker Punch for damaging ghosts, which is not good. This won't even scratch Cofagrigus or Dusclops, so you won't actually be able to spin. Mismagius often carries Substitute as well-and if not, carries Will-O-Wisp. If you use Blastoise over Suicune, and then Mienshao over Hitmontop, then your team is much more offensive. Blastoise is a much more reliable spinner, and can actually spin against ghosts thanks to Scald/Toxic. Mienshao is the perfect momentum gainer-the SubPass set can set-up a Substitute on loads of Pokes and then BP out to Snorlax or more worryingly Yanmega. HJK does a ton to Bronzong, who looks like it could be a pain for you to deal with without Suicune. Stone Edge is great for hitting Chandelure who think they can switch in on HJK for free, as well as Arcanine/Darmanitan for super effective damage.

Here are the sets:

Blastoise (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Roar
- Toxic

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Stone Edge

GL and I hope I helped. Also, one minor nitpick-running HP Fire / Ice over Pain Split over Pain Split is a much better idea, because you need to trick your scarf away for it to work. Hitting Escavalier for 4X super-effective damage with HP Fire or Flygon for 4X is very useful as well.

Hi! Thank you for the reply. I see this team as more of a balance team rather than offensive; focusing on how specs yanmega sweeps in the end or surprises and punctures the opponent team in the middle of the game. The thing that I like the most about this team is that it can tank a lot of commonly used pokemon. Combination of intimidate and suicune's bulk allow me to counter non banded heracross with ease, especially when sr is lurking, stone edge is waiting, or yanmega is in low health. I think blastoise is going to succumb to repeated close combat (especially with no rest). Also, suicune break some subs easier in case it got taunted. I never have a big problem with dusclops since suicune just need to burn it. Cosfagrigus is quite hard to handle but by knowing the set and time my trick, I usually can get by. Side note, I timed my 2 tricks when playing against some dangerous pokemon since this team usually defend itself by using resistance.

That aside, I love the idea of passing subs to yanmega. Will try it.

I like the suggestion about hp ice or fire. But sometimes, after taking a choiced light scald, thunders or random seed flares, rotom appreciate a little healing especially if he get life orb instead of lefty (and it's small hp means great pain for snorlax). But while suicune tank flygon nicely and rotom is vulnerable to u-turn , I'm kinda interested in hp fire since escavalier, especially banded one, ruin my day sometimes. Thx for the idea. Appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)