Uber Analysis Leads

Who are the most common lead-off Pokemon in Ubers? What can they do? Why are they used? Three questions, I hope to answer through battle experience, the pulse of the metagame and Doug's new statistics. Here we go.

Darkrai -

With a blitzing speed, an 80% accurate sleep-inducing move and an ability that that abuses said move (Dark Void), Darkrai is a great choice to start any battle off with. A sleeping pokemon practically can instantaneously alter the game, from 6-6 to 5-6, depending on how many turns the opposing pokemon is asleep. It's typing also gives it protection from the myriad of Pursuit pokemon allowing it to switch out against physical attackers, while at the same time providing it with a STAB attack that hits over half the metagame for super-effective damage.

However, due to the raw speed and power of leads such as Deoxys-A and Choice Scarf Kyogre, Darkrai, needs to protect itself by either outspeeding these threats or simply taking a hit and shutting the opposing lead down with Dark Void. Now, no matter how much you pump its Speed or Defences, you'll never even dream of outpacing or surviving a hit from Deoxys-A or Kyogre, so thus, Darkrai users have resorted in to utilizing Focus Sashes and Choice Scarves, to stay on top.

Courtesy Doug's statistics
Choice Scarf - 21.9
Focus Sash - 21.2

Thanks to these two items as well as its signature move, Dark Void, Darkrai has become a popular and very powerful anti-lead. While the number of Leftovers Darkrai's (27.1%), SubPunchers judging by the statistics, outnumbers both these items, it is in my opinion that you add the two scores together as these Items allow Darkrai used to combat opposing leads, firstly and rampage through teams, secondly.

Whereas Leftovers and Life Orb variants' first priority is to break walls and destroy teams. These types of Darkrai's aren't the 'lead-off' Darkrai's that i've come across and are better reserved for either mid-game (when walls and ResTalkers have been revealed) or any end-game (when Special walls or Bulky Steels have been annihilated).

Deoxys-A
Due to its "Carvanha-like defenses," Deoxys-A won't be switching into any sort of attack any time soon. As such it works terrifically as a revenge killer and lead off pokemon capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing nearly every pokemon in the game. Through it's amazing movepool, it gets moves that are able to hit everything for Super-Effective on both the physical and special side. In addition to this, it gets wonderfully frightening 'defensive' options in Mirror Coat and Counter (though from the statistics, we can see that these options aren't as common as the typical 4-Attacks, Deoxys-A sets).

In keeping with the idea that Deoxys-A's pitiful defenses won't allow it to take a hit, 70% of users, employ a Focus Sash giving it an 'extra life'. While some still use Life Orb, the majority has shifted to the more conservative Focus Sash to ease prediction and as an insurance from prediction-based blunders.

It is also interesting to note that around 60% of Deoxys-A run +Speed natures rather than ones to boost their offenses, as to at least ensure a Speed Tie against an opposing Deoxys-A.

Dialga
To be added. (Though comments are very much welcomed)

Key Points:
  • Bulk Up Dialga still quite popular (ResTalker and resists Darkrai's Dark STAB)
  • Anticipating a rise in defensive Stealth Rock/Lum Berry set up entry hazards for offensive teams.
  • 60% of Dialga leads are pumping HP (Bulk > Speed and Power)
Kyogre

Key Points:
  • Choice Scarf Kyogre is losing popularity, though the fear and paranoia is still there. From running a lead-off Kyogre on most of my teams (RestTalk w/ Thunder and Surf) I can say that alot of faster leads still 'run away' from Kyogre fearing the Scarf.
  • Statistics are showing a move towards Bulky Kyogres as well as Choice Specs variants. This fits in with the decrease in Blissey-usage and the increase in Latias-usage (comparisons from the past Official Server statistics and Smogon Server statistics, so this is up to contention).
Mew

Key Points:
  • A combination of Dialga and Darkrai in some respects. Terrific set-up lead, Bulky (60% of Mews, maximise HP EVs) enough to take a hit or two, fast (41% of Mews run high amounts of Speed EVs) enough to make use of Hypnosis (64% run Hypnosis). Lum Berry (35.6%) to protect itself from opposing Darkrai's and Synchro-Lum still works wonders against status such as Paralysis.
  • Explosion / Taunt / Stealth Rock make for an excellent anti-lead and setup pokemon. Game Plan is most likely, Hypnosis off the bat, Taunt if it's a ResTalker, Stealth Rock on the switch and Explode to clear the field. Another great choice for offensive Teams.
  • Baton Pass is still viable with Speed (via Rock Polish) being the most commonly passed stat boost.

I would like to mention a couple of things about Dialga as a starter.

For one, it has almost the perfect typing to take on most uber leads. His resistance to dark means he doesn't have to run on Darkrai, and his 100 base HP/ Sp. Defense means that it can even take a LOed Focus Blast with max HP and 80 Sp. Defense EVs(what mine currently runs[courtesy of aldaron]). This means it can also take two Modest Kyogre Water Spouts, assuming no item that increases its power. This is largely in part due to his typing that allows him to resist water while not being weak to any moves commonly used on Kyogre. A Lum Berry further aids Dialga in his ability to take down Darkrai by helping shrug off the sleep status. It is then promptly KOed by Aura Sphere.

HOWEVER, Darkrai is starting to catch on to this: most now pack a sash as a starter to guarantee this sleep, and to also sleep the common Deoxys-a starters. By sleeing the deoxys-a starters, his ability also comes into effect, basically making his sash useless in general. I have even seen more Darkrai go physical and carry pursuit to further complete his role, as it kills the doexys and allows him to sleep another opponent.

Dialga catches onto this, however, and starts packing Thunder Wave to neuter these. That way they can at least ensure that the sashed Darkrai is out of commition(sp?) for the rest of the fight due to his cut speed that usually makes him so dangerous. Darkrai, again, start to catch on and run substitute: I have known a player to run an all-physical sashed Darkrai with Dark Void, Substitute, Pursuit and Focus Punch, which does a good job in beating most other starters. Dialga also tends to run Stealth Rock to help with Rayquaza and Lugia, one being a commonly used end-game sweeper and the other as a pain in the ass.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have put up a whole set....

From what i'm seeing most lead Dialgas tend to pack the standard Mixalga set with Stealth Rock over Fire Blast in an attempt to set up SR as soon as possible while still having something that can hit hard if need be.

I have also seen some of them ditching Brick Break in favour of Thunder Wave in an attempt to slow down Scarf Kyogres, Darkrai and Deoys A, quite the effective lead.

I've also been seeing some lead Dual Screen Deoxys - S leads as well as some Dual Screen Mewtwo leads with Selfdestruct, both seem to be pretty effective but arent that popular at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)