1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Uber Team No. 1 (Peak No. 3 on Pokemon-Online/1630 pts.)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Mister McCready, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Mister McCready

Mister McCready

Introduction​

Hey Smogon. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Made this team a while back and was surprised at its success. It peaked at No. 3 on Pokemon Online, but unfortunately, I don’t have a screenshot of that. As of this writing, I’m at No. 15. The idea with this team is to spread paralysis with Ho-Oh and smack the enemy with strong STAB attacks from Groudon, Kyurem, and Palkia until he's dead. Arceus is here to clean up in case the smacking isn't hard enough to kill the enemy. Simple stuff.

Team Building​

So first I figure I’d use a weird Ho-Oh. Decided to try out a paraphaze set just for fun, considering this guy’s immense mixed bulk and offensive presence.
    [​IMG]
    Of course, if you’ve got Ho-Oh, you gotta have Groudon and a spinner. Forretress is pretty standard for sun teams. Used an offensive Groudon to get the jump on lead Dialga, preventing Rocks from going up.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I need a Kyogre counter, and a revenge killer. Why not both? Palkia.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Something to smash the opponent with. Kyurem sounds fun.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finally, ExtremeKiller, because ExtremeKiller makes everything better.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Members​

[​IMG]
    Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Sacred Fire
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
    Nobody expects this thing. Sacred Fire, obviously, takes advantage of the sun and hits like a truck even without attack investment. Roost, of course, takes advantage of Ho-Oh’s natural bulk, taking about 60% from Latios’s Soul Dew boosted Draco Meteor for example. Thunder Wave, while unusual, has worked wonders for this team, crippling fast switch-ins such as Kyogre and Arceus-Ghost. Whirlwind allows Ho-Oh to reliably counter standard Ho-Oh, which would otherwise give this team problems, and set-up sweepers in general. This team lacks a ghost type, but Ho-Oh functions as a pseudo-spinblocker by taking out Forretress and Excadrill with Sacred Fire. Maximum physically defensive bulk allows it to tank a +2 ExtremeSpeed and wall most variations of Mewtwo, even whilst Stealth Rock is on the field. You’re probably thinking that it’s a problem that Ho-Oh’s only attack has 8 PP. This guy, however, will very rarely do that. Unless I’m facing something I can KO quickly or burn, I’ll always either paralyze, phaze, or heal.
    [​IMG]
    Groudon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Punch​
    Groudon brings the sun that benefits Ho-Oh. Like Ho-Oh, Groudon is incredibly bulky even without defensive investment. While it lacks the ability to wall or beat ExtremeKiller, I have Ho-Oh and Forretress to keep that guy in check. Earthquake hits anything that doesn’t resist it hard, primarily OHKOing and outspeeding standard defensive Dialga. Stone Edge allows it to hit flying types hard, heavily denting Lugia after multiscale has been broken and OHKOing Rayquaza switch-ins. Unless the opponent has a levitator (Latias, Latios and Giratina-O are walled and crippled by Ho-Oh), if I predict right with this guy, someone’s gonna get hurt.

[​IMG]
    Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    - Pain Split​
    Fairly standard Spinner Forretress. It lays Spikes and spins hazards. Ho-Oh really likes not having Rocks on the field. Toxic allows Forretress to cripple two of the three major spinblockers in Ubers, Giratina-O and Arceus-Ghost, and Pain Split keeps it healthy, so that it can thrive even in the face of opponents designed to check it. Against Giratina, Forretress can just get as many layers of spikes up as possible.
    [​IMG]
    Kyurem-W @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Turboblaze
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Ice Beam
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Focus Blast​
    Standard Kyurem-W. Someone’s gonna die if the opponent doesn’t have Ho-Oh or Chansey. Even the former gets 2HKOed by Ice Beam without significant HP or SDef investment. If I want to kill something fast, I go for Draco Meteor. If I want to be safe, I go for Ice Beam, unless the opponent has a Kyogre, in which case I go for the Pulse. Ice Beam 2HKOs most steel type walls (Forretress, Ferrothorn, Skarmory), making Fusion Flare unnecessary on this set, serving more as a liability against Kyogre than as a threat towards the aforementioned walls.
    [​IMG]
    Palkia @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Spacial Rend
    - Fire Blast
    - Thunder
    - Surf​
    Bog standard Palkia. God, I feel dirty using something so standard and simple. But hey, it gets the job done, revenge killing most fast, frail threats, and importantly, checking Kyogre. It also integrates well in this role with Groudon: Choiced Kyogre can either go for the Spout or the Thunder. Palkia takes the Spout like a champ, and Groudon, of course, is unaffected by Thunder. Fire Blast 2HKOs Ferrothorn in the rain, and in the sun, Surf is a 4HKO, which is like a 2HKO after Stealth Rock.
    [​IMG]
    Arceus @ Silk Scarf
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Claw​
    Standard ExtremeKiller. Kills everything that isn’t a physical wall, a steel type, or an Arceus forme effortlessly. EVs for enough bulk to outspeed modest Dialgas and tank Terrakion’s Close Combat when Arceus is at good health.

Threats​

[​IMG][​IMG]
    These two. A smart stall player will get hazards up and switch between the two. Nothing on my team can kill both of them. Kyurem can OHKO Giratina with the Meteor, but Chansey'll step in for the save. Kyurem can 2HKO Chansey with the Focus Blast, but Giratina'll hop in for the save. Screw these guys.
    [​IMG]
    Arceus-Rock hard counters my main wall, Ho-Oh, and can take out my secondary wall, Forretress, before Toxic gives it a bad time. Groudon takes care of it, unless it's packing Wil-O-Wisp or Ice Beam (it's more likely than you think), meaning I'll have to either pray for hax or keep Groudon healthy.
    [​IMG]
    The one common spinner that does not fear Ho-Oh. I could go into Groudon, but if he scalds me and Groudon burns, then between Life Orb damage and Protect, I'm gonna have a bad time. At least Kabutops has the common decency to be useless without rain. Combine with the Giratina/Chansey core above for maximum annoyance.
    [​IMG]
    The most used Poke in all of Ubers, and one I'll have to be careful playing around. Yeah, I got Palkia, but if he's smart, he'll go for the Thunder. Scarf variants are tolerable, since Palkia gets 3HKOd by Thunder, giving it time to shoot back with its own electricity or go for the Spacial Rend/Fire Blast (if I predict a Dragon or Ferrothorn switch in). Specs are hard though. Modest ones are outsped and heavily damaged by Kyurem, if Palkia's down, so I gotta keep that in mind.

Other Options​

[​IMG]
    Kyurem-W to Swords Dance Rayquaza (Adamant, 252 Atk/Spd, Swords Dance/Dragon Claw/V-Create/ExtremeSpeed)
    Advantages:
    Mitigates issues with Giratina/Chansey cores
    Removes a spikes/toxic spikes weakness
    Checks weather sweepers if Groudon is dead
    Additional priority for faster threats
    Disadvantages:
    Increases my Kyogre weakness
    Has difficulty vs. Lugia
    Lacks immediate raw power of Kyurem

[​IMG]
    Jolly Life Orb Groudon to Adamant Earth Plate Groudon
    Advantages:
    Lack of Life Orb recoil makes it harder to stall out
    Keeps sun vs. Timid Kyogre
    Disadvantages:
    Reduces power of Stone Edge and Fire Punch, though these two are negligible given that Groudon will OHKO what it needs to without an Orb, except Lugia

2. Mister McCready

Mister McCready

3. Mister McCready

Mister McCready

4. Mister McCready

Mister McCready

5. Lugiatina

Lugiatina

Not much to say, but I would probably put Choice Scarf Genesect in place of Arceus on your team to ease some pressure off of Ho-Oh against Mewtwo and Latias (you have somewhat of a Latias weakness if it sets up). I would also try Psycho Killer Mewtwo over Specs Kyurem to help deal with Chansey and Tentacruel. Palkia can also be replaced by Refresh Latias to help deal with those annoying T-Wave Kyogres where you can set up all over their faces and sweep. I've used that Latias set many times to success, even sweeping through Ferrothorns.

Good luck.
  6. puregenius

puregenius

This reminds me of my team so I'll give it a rate

Try latios over kyu w
    Still a very powerful wallbreaker, difference is he can muscle past most of ur threats
    Chansey and tenta die to psyshock, gira dies to meteor and grass knot cleanly 2hkos rockeus in sand (although its risky)

U don't run a spin blocker so consider ghostceus over normalceus

Gl

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)