1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ubers CCAT 3 - Skies are Clear

Discussion in 'BW Ubers' started by jackm, Feb 12, 2013.

?

What Pokemon should we base our team around?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2013.
  1. Dual Screens Arceus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ludicolo

6.7%
  3. Power Herb Kyurem-B

8.3%
  4. Substitute Darkai

1.7%
  5. Smash recipient Dialga

18.3%
  6. CM Arceus-Dragon

16.7%
  7. SubSeed Shaymin-S

6.7%
  8. SD Arceus-Ground

5.0%
  9. LO Kyurem-B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. CM Lugia

5.0%
  11. Latios

3.3%
  12. BU Dialga

10.0%
  13. CM Arceus-Fighting

3.3%
  14. Scarf Rayquaza

1.7%
  15. Scarf Salamence

5.0%
  16. SubCM Giratina-O

8.3%
  1. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

I do like Genesect. If I'm not behind the Dialga, then I'm definitely behind the Gensect. Hmmm... though scarf Palkia can beat them both (providing it uses the right moves)... and Ho-oh could be problematic if SR isnt' up. Other than that... I like Genesect! :)
  2. jackm

jackm

An important thing to note about Scarf Palkia is that it's definitely not switching in for free on a Latios+Genesect core (DM and boosted U-Turn are both doing quite a number) and with correct prediction it actually can't take out the core. Latios has enough bulk to stomach a Scarfed Spacial Rend if need be and KO back, and it's taking all coverage with ease. Meanwhile, Genesect can easily tank the same Spacial Rend (prediction time, but still) and pivot out.

The one problem that I have with Latios+Latias is that I believe it takes typestacking the wrong way. Typestacking attempts to succeed in executing the following goal: Using multiple Pokemon that share similar checks to wear down said checks and facilitate wallbreaking/sweeping. The problem with using near-identical Pokemon for this purpose is simple: a counter to one is axiomatically a counter to the other. Because of this, any counter that the opponent carries to one of them will result in a relative disadvantage of one slot, because we fundamentally end up only carrying 5 Pokemon and until we eliminate the counter to Lati@s we have essentially forfeited our typestacking advantage.
  3. jackm

jackm

Cue posts 37-87 on why Arceus-Dragon isn't a good idea for weatherless.
  4. Manaphy

Manaphy

Aye, my bad.

At the moment, I think Palkia would be the best partner for Latios. Together, they can mess up a large portion of the metagame. Genesect is also a solid option; but I feel like Genesect could always be added later and right now we should be focusing on a good offensive partner for Latios.
  5. akuto

akuto

someone said lati/lati comp? it can do REALLY GOOD in a situation where the other team is really fast hard hitting dragon weak. but if u have "like i said earlier" a scarfer or darkrai into play your team can easily be set up on in which puts u in a huge disadvantage. so i would vote no for lati/lati.

Scarf genesect is a good poke i agree to have on any team. but is easily taken out by scarf mewtwo. and scarf sect modest using ice beam at max hp groudon will only do 92% with SPa boost. he can do work on alot of teams and force pressure. I'm on the edge about him though because theres only so much he can do.
  6. jackm

jackm

Well, we don't need Genesect to do everything; we do have 4 other slots.
  7. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

Scarf Mewtwo isn't very common though, and is rather frail (if we end up using someone with priority, it won't be too hard to check it/RK it). also, not many people run max hp groudon, but also, not many people run modest genesect either (usually hasty i think) so Groudon won't be TOO much of an issue. it also provides quite a bit of offensive pressure, but my only problem is if it U-Turns, someone will need to be bulky enough to tank the hit.
  8. akuto

akuto

yeah scarf mewtwo isn't that common but if we were to face it we got latios to take the fire blast or if we went with giratin-o we have him to come in and priority shadow sneak take him out or predict the switch and set up or whatever set you will be running. I think we can pair genesect up with flash fire pokes or anything that can resist the fire move if we so happen to predict the move correctly. I've been playing around with the team so far on PS and the team thats been going good so far is latios/genesect/giratina-o/shaymin-S/palkia/foro. but it's only a beta still needs some "messing around" with. anyways i would say yes to genesect now that I've done some field work.
  9. jackm

jackm

There are 24 hours left to submit! If you have an idea, please post it by then.
  10. akuto

akuto

adn we only got how many guys? 4?
  11. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

Wow... ;-; we had so many people posting sets in the beginning. Do you think if we VM'd them they would post here? Maybe they just forgot?
  12. akuto

akuto

hmm. maybe we can continue this on someone wall or something? or post anew thread so we can finish?
  13. Bossness

Bossness

[​IMG]
    Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Punch
    - Spikes
    - Taunt

Not much to explain here. You know what Deoxys-S does. You can usually start the match with two layers of hazards. Fire Punch to OHKO Genesect, 2hko Forretress, Ferrothorn and Excadrill.

Having Genesect removed from the match on turn 1 will mean that our opponent will be forced to use faster Pokemon to revenge kill Latios. The faster Pokemon include: Mewtwo, Deoxys-A(without Ice Punch), Darkrai, Arceus-Ghost and -Bug. The first three fail to KO Latios at full health while the latter can only KO Latios if it is using the Swords Dance set.

Some interesting benifits this adds to the team:
    252 Atk Deoxys-S Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 212-252 (60.22 - 71.59%)
    +
    252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 152-180 (43.18 - 51.13%) -- 5.08% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock​
    =
    Dead Ferrothorn

OR​
    252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 152-180 (43.18 - 51.13%) -- 98.44% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes.​
    =
    Dead Ferrothorn.​
  14. IAmAnHero

IAmAnHero

I was gonna suggest Terrakion but he was already suggested which is why I haven't posted in a while.
  15. lousy918

lousy918

imo that shouldn't be under offensive core as one attack doesn't fall under offense deoxys-s should be under support.

also the 2nd calc is ignoring the fact that most go for leech seed and you aren't likely to get three layers of hazards up.
  16. Bossness

Bossness

Are you blind? I never said that it would get three layers of hazards up. After Stealth Rock + 1 layer of Spikes, you can 2hko Ferrothorn if it switches into Hidden Power Fire(Ferrothorn does this often as it thinks that it is safe under rain). Even after Leech Seed, it will die to the third Hidden Power Fire.
  17. lousy918

lousy918

no
    protect
    you didn't answer everything anyway
  18. jackm

jackm

Sorry I'm a little late on this, but submissions are now closed! As for the vote, make a post with the name of the candidate on it in bold, and nothing else in bold. You can discuss during the vote, but don't make anything bold.

Anyways, our ballot goes as follows:

Offensive Dialga
    Growth Shaymin-S
    Scarf Terrakion
    Dual Status Darkrai
    Scarf Genesect
    Offensive Latias
    Lead Deoxys-S

You have 48 hours to vote. GO!
  19. Bossness

Bossness

Lead Deoxys-S

This is the best choice for a weatherless hyper offense team for the reasons I have stated in my post.
  20. IAmAnHero

IAmAnHero

Scarf Terrakion because he can usually beat most of the things that beat/wall Latios like Heatran, Arceus Dark, and Ferrothorn in the rain. He can also revenge kill Extremekiller. Since that set is running Toxic Arceus Ghost would have to be careful about switching into Terrakion if he thinks that he could Close Combat.
  21. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

Well... ummm... are we just voting for our own sets here? I guess I'll go out on a limb here and go with Scarf Terrakion. Latios + Terrakion gives us a good core to start out with, and this way, we have two of the S-tier mons (Arceus-Normal and Kyogre) checked. I do like Deoxys-S very much, but I thought we were going for an offensive core for our second pick?

Lastly (negative don't read)
    Show Hide
    If it took this much effort to get even one supporting pick, do you really think we can push through and finish this project? Or will this just go down in flames? ;-;
  22. locoghoul

locoghoul

scarf genesect
  23. Bryce

Bryce Lun

Scarf Genesect
  24. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Scarf Terrakion
  25. Sweep

Sweep
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Deoxys-Speed

Lots of great choices, and I will probably give Scarf Terrakion a nod down the line. This was a difficult decision.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)