1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ubers OHKO Clause Voting

Discussion in 'Blind Voting' started by Great Sage, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulWind

    SoulWind
    is a Tiering Contributoris a SPL Winner

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2010
    Messages:
    1,386
    OHKO Clause: Do Not Retain
  2. bro fist

    bro fist
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2009
    Messages:
    584
    OHKO Clause: Retain
  3. polop

    polop
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    Messages:
    810
    OHKO Clause: Retain
  4. Furai

    Furai wellfare
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

    Joined:
    May 4, 2010
    Messages:
    2,825
    OHKO Clause: Retain (Ban OHKO Clause)

    1. It causes games to be decided on luck. It truly does. Whether you hit your OHKO, something is going to die immediately; and the Sturdy Pokemon can be safely removed with Kyogre’s Scald, which was proven to be by far the most deadly OHKO user. If you get your OHKO move hit the right Pokemon, or you KO a Pokemon that already occupied boosts, you have an extremely solid way of winning. 30% may not be enough, but there’s a less chance to hit with a critical hit. I’ll take Pocket’s explanantion here; let’s say you’re facing a +6 Arceus-Steel and you have Sheer Cold/Scald Kyogre. A Scald critical hit doesnt’ even KO in rain, whereas Sheer Cold hitting, which has a better chance to happen, simply KOs Arceus, probably saving you the match. The usage of OHKO clause, makes games based on your chances to hit the move--makes games based on luck, which is something all of us do not want.
    2. Lifting OHKO clause throws the metagame off balance. Stall is still viable, it really is. However, Stall relies on every single member of your team to cover a wide array of threats, and getting one of those members removed to a 30% chance on a single turn, would simply make Offense the preferred playstyle, as it is much more flexible. Offense also enjoys the addition of OHKO clause more than Stall does, as now you can simply eliminate a Pokemon (guaranteed you hit) and sweep with the Pokemon that was stopped by the one you just eliminated. If a member of an Offensive team is lost, no worries, the team can attempt a sweep with someone else. OHKO clause created a situation where Offense as the upper hand over Stall, which throws the Ubers metagame to its edge.
    3. High Risk, Higher Reward. Sure, you have 70% chance to miss the move, but you still have 30% chance to immediately KO the Pokemon that is hit by it. If you use it twice in a row, you have 51% to hit - chances are in your favor. If you’re willing to take the risk, there’s quite a chance that it will make out for you. Outright KOing a Pokemon is the definition of broken by me, not to mention that OHKO clause does not require any thinking: you click the move, and if it hits, something dies; if it doesn’t, you can either try again or switch to a proper counter. Nothing impressive.
  5. Kebabe

    Kebabe
    is a Tiering Contributor

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    362
    OHKO Clause: Retain
  6. Jibaku

    Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2005
    Messages:
    6,128
    OHKO Clause: abstain

    I didn't do much here I don't want to throw in my stance without solid playtesting
  7. Great Sage

    Great Sage

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Messages:
    6,666
    There are 33 voters, since bojangles will not vote. With 30 votes in, there are 18 votes to retain OHKO Clause, and thus the option to retain has received a majority.

    EDIT: Blim has sent in his vote by PM, and he voted to retain. This means there are now 19 votes to retain.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)