Multi Gen Ubers Teambuilding Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ubers Teambuilding Competition
Hi, this is the Ubers Teambuilding Competition. In short, the goal of this thread is to provide unique and interesting teambuilding challenges to experienced players while showing newer members of the community how the best players build teams. Hopefully, some cool teams, ideas, or developments can arise from the creation of this thread and help develop the metagame as a whole. Please note that, much like other tiers have decided, you do not need to post a team to contribute to the project. You can comment or help out others members; however, being abrasive or rude may lead to an infraction. This thread is a home to learning, not steaming. Conversely, the best participants are more likely to receive a Community Contributor badge or a Ladybug as well.

I will be posting a core, Pokemon, set, or concept and you will have one week to post a team with at least one paragraph describing how you built the team, chose the sets, and went about the concept. This isn't an RMT, so please don't post a 6 paragraph description. It would be preferred you added pictures to your post as sprites make judging a team much easier. After a week is up, we will have a 3 day voting period where all members may vote for the team which they feel best utilizes the core, concept, Pokemon, or idea that the team was built around and it will be put in the Unstopppable Ubers Hall of Fame post I will have below. Don't be afraid to participate even if you're newer-- participation can lead to more knowledge of the metagame as learning from your mistakes is the best way to improve! Good luck! May the best builder win.

So, Week 1's concept is going to be XY Ubers using:

Everyone's favorite haxing machine! Shaymin-S can be featured on almost every playstyle and is criminally underused. How will you go about building with it? As a preface, I've left this week's concept rather open as a start giving only one Pokemon, so be creative!​

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'l have a go:

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Low Kick

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Heal Block
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Shadow Force
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail

The main idea for this team was to have Shaymin force out Extreme Speed users and Giratina-O, get a large hit on them as they break its Substitute, and severely cripple / KO them next turn in order to open up a Blaziken sweep. Spikes are mandatory alongside Stealth Rock to help Shaymin bring out the priority user or else have the opposing team take on massive amounts of damage when attempting to get rid of Leech Seed. Blaziken also enjoys the company of Spikes since they make putting Palkia, Kyogre, and Arceus formes into Low Kick KO range a much easier feat. Blaziken also enjoys nuking things with sun boosted Flare Blitz, and thus the core of Klefki (spikes), Groudon (SR and Sun), and Arceus-Water (glue and status absorber) was what I went with to accomplish this. With my entire team grounded other than a Stealth Rock weak Shaymin, my own hazard remover was needed in my eyes. Giratina-O fit the bill with its ability to Defog (a bit odd with my reliance on Spikes but they can be set up again), help Groudon check grounds, Kang, and E-Killer, take a dump on Tspikes offense in general, and provide Priority of my own. He also spinblocks as an added bonus. I chose to run no speed and 30 Speed IVs as an attempt to outslow other Giratina-O (whom are massive threats to the team) to win one on one with Shadow Force. Groudon also runs Lava Plume in an attempt to wear other Gira-O down with burn.

Now believe me, I am not the best at this. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
I'l have a go:

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Low Kick

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Heal Block
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough

Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume

Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Shadow Force
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail

The main idea for this team was to have Shaymin force out Extreme Speed users and Giratina-O, get a large hit on them as they break its Substitute, and severely cripple / KO them next turn in order to open up a Blaziken sweep. Spikes are mandatory alongside Stealth Rock to help Shaymin bring out the priority user or else have the opposing team take on massive amounts of damage when attempting to get rid of Leech Seed. Blaziken also enjoys the company of Spikes since they make putting Palkia, Kyogre, and Arceus formes into Low Kick KO range a much easier feat. Blaziken also enjoys nuking things with sun boosted Flare Blitz, and thus the core of Klefki (spikes), Groudon (SR and Sun), and Arceus-Water (glue and status absorber) was what I went with to accomplish this. With my entire team grounded other than a Stealth Rock weak Shaymin, my own hazard remover was needed in my eyes. Giratina-O fit the bill with its ability to Defog (a bit odd with my reliance on Spikes but they can be set up again), help Groudon check grounds, Kang, and E-Killer, take a dump on Tspikes offense in general, and provide Priority of my own. He also spinblocks as an added bonus. I chose to run no speed and 30 Speed IVs as an attempt to outslow other Giratina-O (whom are massive threats to the team) to win one on one with Shadow Force. Groudon also runs Lava Plume in an attempt to wear other Gira-O down with burn.

Now believe me, I am not the best at this. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
Nice team there, but it heavily relies Gira-O to phaze out EKiller, as nothing else can take it on after it has set up a SD, so that's a big concern there. That's all i've found atm, so if there's more i'll let you know.
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 240 Def Groudon: 204-241 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Water: 279-328 (62.9 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nice team there, but it heavily relies Gira-O to phaze out EKiller, as nothing else can take it on after it has set up a SD, so that's a big concern there. That's all i've found atm, so if there's more i'll let you know.
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 240 Def Groudon: 204-241 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Water: 279-328 (62.9 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
there is an impish groudon and a giratina-o and you say ekiller is a huge problem?
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 186-219 (46 - 54.2%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
the team easily allows for ways to play around if not outright beat ekiller.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Adamant E-Killer isn't something I am overly concerned about tbf, but when laddering it could be a problem (since the ladder hasn't really caught on to Jolly LO yet unfortunately).
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 236 HP / 240+ Def Groudon: 185-218 (46.2 - 54.5%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That is a percentage I can live with, if I am being honest, and with E-Killer hopefully taking Spikes damage every time it is phazed as well as its own Life Orb and the damage it will take from Shaymin when breaking its subs as well as the burn Groudon can potentially inflict on it, its a minor concern in my eyes considering how bad my E-killer weakness was before adding Giratina. A bad match up with Adamant Refreshkiller can happen yes, but you have to let sets like that get by sometimes when teambuilding in XY unfortunately; a bad match up is bad.
I appreciate the feedback though.

i feel like tina-o defeats the purpose of using skymin since you already got a ground mon check and extra water resist. i'd probably try to fit a different anti-hazards mon there.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
there is an impish groudon and a giratina-o and you say ekiller is a huge problem?
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 186-219 (46 - 54.2%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
the team easily allows for ways to play around if not outright beat ekiller.
forgot impish, but that's actually a 236 HP / 240+ Def Groudon
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 236 HP / 240+ Def Groudon: 186-220 (46.5 - 55%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO
though ofc he can go for the burn from Lava Plume, which is why i suppose he mentioned Refreshkiller

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
i feel like tina-o defeats the purpose of using skymin since you already got a ground mon check and extra water resist. i'd probably try to fit a different anti-hazards mon there.
I agree with this, and if editing teams is allowed here, here is the new version that doesn't utilize Gira-O:

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Low Kick

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Heal Block
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough

Groudon @ Lum Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 236 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Palkia @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 60 HP / 196 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Dragon Tail
- Hydro Pump
- Rest

Arceus @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 88 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Recover

Since the team was pretty E-killer weak without Giratina-O, I figured the best hazard remover for the team would probably have to be support Arceus-Ghost. This would mean Rest Palkia would have to complete Groudon, Klefki, and Water core instead of Arceus-Water. Because the team is now Blaziken weak, I gave Arceus-Ghost enough Special Attack to guarantee a KO on Blaziken after Stealth Rock and Flare Blitz recoil while still hitting the ever so important Gengar Speed benchmark. Ho-Oh and Gothitelle also get to the team which is why Groudon carries Lum Berry (for emergency Ho-Oh checking), and Palkia carries Dragon Tail (to hopefully fore Ho-Oh in on Stealth Rock more times than it wants and to phaze Gothitelle). Dragon Tail on Palkia can also be used to stall sun turns in order to get Hydro Pump back to a usable base power. Groudon has Roar instead of Lava Plume now to help against Blaze and E-killer although Dragon Tail is tempting to punish Shadow Force Giratina-O. Blaze and Shaymin are still doing the same thing they did in the last version with Shaymin weakening / KOing priority users and Ground-types and Blaze plowing through the opposition afterwards.

team^, i had just found all the sprites but now i gotta head out so consider this a placeholder for the writeup
e:
Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Air Slash

Groudon @ Lum Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Grass Knot
- Aromatherapy
- Megahorn

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch

there are rather few grass types in the tier; besides shay-s we have grassy, ferro, and whimsy. what sets shay apart from the others is its speed and the offensive presence that seed flare grants it (and also a nifty healing wish coupled with said speed). this allows it to pressure common support arceus formes such as water and rock. seed flare is also good for maiming grounds and defensive ogre. outside of that, shay accomplishes little tbh; <130 base speed and sr weak+poor defensive typing/defenses keep it from being a great mon.

about building with shay - it's important to notice the huge zekrom weakness, which essentially mandates a ground+fairy core as ferro obviously isn't an option here. i chose to go with groudon+xerneas. i then added mega kang as a standalone offensive backbone that is useful for revenging a lot of stuff and appreciates what shay checks for it. waterceus was added as an ogre check, soft ho-oh check, and defogger. finally i chose to go with phydef ho-oh as another soft ho-oh check, fairy sponge, and general utility against mewtwo, blaziken etc. i then scarfed xern to ease things up vs stuff like palkia, mewtwo, and maybe clean late game. groudon is just offensive support with lum. spreads are all maxed, feel free to customize.

as you might have noticed, this team is eleceus-weak (this is really quite crippling, idk use yache don or something) and still zekrom weak even with the ground+fairy core, which brings me to elaborate on what mm2 said below about using shay on a sand team. sand does a lot for shaymin; excadrill can spin hazards and checks eleceus (zekrom) while ttar can switch into ho-oh and can trap and remove gengar. this also lets you use a cm arceus forme, which fits with the offensive motif of the teams you would want to use shay on. meanwhile, shay helps with the support arceus and spd ogre sand teams tend to have trouble breaking.

someone else can take it from here and post a sand team, i'll probably post one in a bit if no one else does.

Last edited:
these builds all look like ho-oh keys knock offs tbh

I think water arc is the right direction, I think I'd try to take the sand exca path alongside it.

well, I might as well give this a try.

Shaymin-Sky @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Toxic

So, shaymin-s is the god of hax. The thing is stall tends to have 2-3 checks to it, and offense always has priority. So, I decided to build stall, which could hopefully take on both offense and stall, with shaymin's flinch hax playing a vital part in wearing down the opponent. So, first off, shaymin-s is very weak to ho-oh. I decided to add kyogre+gliscor since it gives me rocks, a way to pressure ho-oh, a check to geoxern, and sleep fodder. Gliscor is a nice stall breaker as well. Then I threw in Scizor, since it was another xern check, and could pursuit for potential clerics. Then, I added sylveon since skymin would probably appreciate some wish support+ giving me decent answers to yveltal and palkia. Then I threw in arceus-ghost as a defogger, and an ekiller check. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten 100 things about my teambuilding process, but the team is half-decent. To be honest, I wouldn't use skymin here unless I had to. Oh yeah, scarfmin also helps against ddance donner. Healing wish is actually very nice on stall, since it gives you a nice bring a dead counter back to life type thing.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Can't believe no one brought up Tentacruel as a partner yet. Subseed Shaymin-S is huge pain in the ass as it is and that only gets worse with Toxic Spikes on your opponent's side of the field. Tentacruel also takes care of hazard removal and lures in Ground types that Shaymin-S likes to switch into.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Team at a glance

arceus.gif
shaymin-sky.gif
gastrodon.gif

xerneas-active.gif
gliscor.gif
yveltal.gif

Team importable

http://pastebin.com/s256EbKZ

Shaymin-s hasn't been good this gen and its pretty difficult to add in teams specially in offensive teams as its defenses are pretty low and its very weak to scarfers such as kyogre, zekrom, xerneas etc (much like darkrai). So looking at these reasons I decided to make a stall team with shaymin.

I decided to use scarf shaymin as the team style is stall and the team doesn't have any stallbreaker/scarfer/late game sweeper. Scarf Shaymin works fine vs stuff like mewtwo, palkia and also works pretty good as a late game sweeper.

As usual in order to check zekrom you need a bulky ground+fairy which is gliscor+xerneas. gliscor is the sr putter as well as ho-oh check. Though ho-oh is still a little threat to this team if it manages to get a burn on gliscor. Poisonceus acts as xerneas check and is also the defogger. Specially defensive xerneas is for yveltal, palkia etc and is also the status healer. Next is physically defensive yveltal for checking ekiller, kangaskhan and with the toxic set as I needed a stallbreaker on this team. And lastly, I decided to use gastordoon as kyogre check. Palkia is a much safe choice but I decided to use gastordoon because not only it can check kyogre but also can check cm arceus forms which palkia can't.

The team's only weakness is banded ho-oh, thats why knock off is there on gliscor to knock off the choice band. Mewtwo is always a nigtmare for stall (even if there is defensive yveltal as yveltal gets burned and foul play doesn't do shit), thats why I decided to use toxic as it helps greatly vs mewtwo, the turn it tries to burn it, it gets poisoned in return. Thats all and fell free to customize.

Attachments

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I decided to try making a sand team in line with what Melee Mewtwo posted, it could probably be better but I'm posting it anyway:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Low Kick

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash

EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Recover
- Refresh

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 76 Atk / 248 SpA / 184 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Megahorn
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

Shaymin-S works very well as an offensive complement to both Excadrill and Xerneas, swapping in on Grounds/Arceus-Water/Grasses for Drill and chipping away at stuff like Steels and Lugia with Leech Seed for Xerneas. Excadrill also handles hazard removal and covers Zekrom together with Xerneas, which alleviates the Zekrom problem pretty nicely. I chose the SubSeed set because it's pretty effective vs most playstyles and is great at pressuring Pokemon slower than 127 Speed without priority (i.e. most of them). Leech Seed also helps Skymin live longer, which is good because this is a sand team after all and Skymin's resistances are pretty useful for sand to have.

Tyranitar is pretty standard. I have Sableye who covers Stalltwo + Deoxys leads so I dropped Payback to run both Stone Edge and Low Kick so I can handle Ho-Oh/Rayquaza and Arceus-Dark/Ferrothorn, respectively. It does typical Tyranitar things - sets Rocks, Pursuits Mega Gengar (hope Focus Blast misses), provides Sand for Excadrill, baits Ground- and Grass-types for Shaymin-S...cool mon overall.

Excadrill is the Xerneas check (assuming sand), the primary Zekrom and Dialga check, and the main sweeper of the team. He is really really good at luring stuff for Shaymin-S to come in on and handles hazard removal, meaning I don't have to run a Defog Arceus. Once Skymin is done mucking with the opponent's defensive core Drill can just clean up. Strong mole is strong.

Arceus-Water helps check Ho-Oh/Kyogre and provides a switch-in to Ground-types in case I can't afford to risk Skymin. Calm Mind + Refresh is good at breaking stall after it has been softened up a bit, and stuff like SDef Kyogre/Gastrodon are excuses for Shaymin-S to switch in. Having a status absorber is also handy. This beats Toxic + Rest Palkia unless it's running significant bulk investment.

Xerneas is scarfed because it helps combat offense (Shaymin can't outspeed Mewtwo sadly) and it gives a good option to finish teams off in case I don't have sand. Dragon immunity is clutch for stuff like Zekrom and Palkia's Spacial Rend. Skymin tends to goad people into sending in their bulky Fire/Steel-types to get weakened by Leech Seed, which helps Xerneas break past them in the late game. Megahorn because MMY checks are limited, Sleep Talk to switch into Dark Void and because Refresh Arceus lessens the need for Aromatherapy.

Sableye is a bit of a weird choice but it works I think. I needed one slot for an EKiller check, a Mega Kangaskhan check, a switch-in to Psychic attacks, and a Mega Lucario check and I was already using Arceus. Sableye can do all of these things while having priority Taunt to screw with Deoxys leads/Stalltwo and priority Wisp to muck with random physical attackers. There could be a better option for this spot, but I can't use Ghost Arceus and Giratina-O is just redundant. Sableye also helps the team beat stall in tandem with Shaymin, Arceus-Water, and Excadrill.

Rayquaza is a huge threat to this team as it is very hard to stop it from getting at least one kill - Sableye having priority Wisp helps a lot. Running Will-O-Wisp Arceus-Water and putting Aromatherapy on Xerneas can help with Rayquaza as well, but it makes the stall matchup a bit harder to win. In an ironic twist of fate, it is also pretty weak to opposing Shaymin-S as I either have to revenge it with Xern/Drill or go for the speed tie with my own Shaymin-S. It handles most other things pretty well I think. Of course, it could probably be improved - I think it's going to be a lot about figuring out how best to complete the Ttar/Exca/Skymin/Water-Arc core. Suggestions are welcome if you have any, I'll try to comment on some of the other teams later.

e: Enemy Scarf Xerneas can also be annoying, might want to creep your own Xern a bit.

Last edited:
use wisp arc

I'd probs do phys def clefable with specs aegislash tbh. you lose to skymin pretty hard with this build.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
use wisp arc

I'd probs do phys def clefable with specs aegislash tbh. you lose to skymin pretty hard with this build.
Main issue with this is that dropping Refresh on Arceus makes the team weak to Toxic + Rest Palkia (HPump 2HKOes Phys Def Clefable so it's not really a check). That being said it's still beatable just pretty annoying.

I don't see how Specs Aegislash fixes the Shaymin-S weakness, it can just Sub while Aegi locks itself into an attack and then either 3HKO with Air Slash or do like 55% with Seed Flare against Blade forme. (If Air Slash flinches while Aegi transitions into Blade forme then its in trouble).

The Skymin weakness is pretty large though. :X

Last edited:

For this team I decided that Tyranitar would be a good partner to Shaymin-S because Ho-Oh is annoying when you can't flinch it to death. Yveltal is also a problem with Sucker Punch. Tyranitar also provides Stealth Rocks and isn't set up on by Ekiller like things such as Diancie because it has Low Kick. I have Scarf Zekrom because fast threats such as Darkrai are hard to revenge for this team. I originally had Xern, but that can't spam its stab against Ho-Oh teams and TTar gets worn down too fast. Next, I put on StallTwo because Stall with Ferro is a problem and Mewtwo destroys a lot of bad ladder Stall teams. Arceus-Grass is on here as a switch in to Ogre. I didn't think Zekrom was good enough of a check to Kyogre. Lastly, I has Scizor as a Xern check because I have none otherwise. I had Groudon on here as a backup Ekiller stop, but then I just got swept by Xern so I have Superpower Scizor instead. I put Toxic over U-turn, but I'm unsure if that's a good option. Toxic is to cripple Yveltal and Ho-Oh, but since I have Zekrom, U-turn might be better.

I'm not sure how to make Shaymin-S play a larger role in this team. It usually ends up not doing anything or being Genesect Fodder, which this team is weak to. It does flinch StallTwo and Stickyweb users to death, which is something, but I don't think it's enough since the team is supposed to be based around it. I'd appreciate any feedback!

Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Low Kick

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psystrike
- Recover
- Taunt

Arceus-Grass @ Meadow Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 144 SpD / 116 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stone Edge
- Grass Knot
- Recover

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Roost

Last edited:
Main issue with this is that dropping Refresh on Arceus makes the team weak to Toxic + Rest Palkia (HPump 2HKOes Phys Def Clefable so it's not really a check). That being said it's still beatable just pretty annoying.

I don't see how Specs Aegislash fixes the Shaymin-S weakness, it can just Sub while Aegi locks itself into an attack and then either 3HKO with Air Slash or do like 55% with Seed Flare against Blade forme. (If Air Slash flinches while Aegi transitions into Blade forme than its in trouble).

The Skymin weakness is pretty large though. :X
good point on aegis, that's annoying

Toxic is sorta yes no and issue cause you can use heal bell. but using heal bell opens up new issues which is meh. I've been struggling with finding those last two slots but what you need to cover with them is: cleric/status sponger, phys def ygod, cm arc, skymin, secondary xern check, ekiller

not figured out best way to accomplish tho

Just for the record, I hate skymin. I don't think that it's "underrated". It's just a really mediocre and niche mon which competes with whimiscott/ferro a lot. And of course, whim/ferro is better than skymin on most of builds. So, I decided to focus on the traits that differentiated skymin from whim/ferr, which were: air flinch, aromatherapy, and healing wish.

I happened to agree with:
Can't believe no one brought up Tentacruel as a partner yet. Subseed Shaymin-S is huge pain in the ass as it is and that only gets worse with Toxic Spikes on your opponent's side of the field. Tentacruel also takes care of hazard removal and lures in Ground types that Shaymin-S likes to switch into.
So, I built this:

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic / Heal Block
- Spikes

Skymin: This team was built around it obviously. So, the role for Skymin is to pressure opponent's team in conjunction of TS and Spikes. If opponent opts to defog/rapid spin, then it gives Skymin opportunity to get a free subseed loop which is very convenient. And, the fact that poison does not go away allows Skymin to maintain its pressure, even with hazards removed. I had Aromatherapy over Air Flinch, but flinching is far better on this team since it's delicious with poison lol. And, the fact that Tenta sucks at checking Specsogre made Seed Flare mandatory on it. Overall, it's just a very annoying mon if you let it to set up, and this team is designed to maximize that chance.

Tentacruel: The star of this team IMO. It provides invaluable support with TS/Rapid Spin/Knock off. Knock off lets Tenta to deal with Specsogre better and beating Goth on switch in. Tenta is also my go to Palkia, Dialga, and Kyogre check. Just make sure that you use protect often to scout and get HP back.

Landorus-T: The necessary evil. Since Skymin is terrible at checking ground (stone edge after sr = dead skymin) and ho-oh/zekrom check. I decided to use EP adamant set, since I needed to maximize my physical presence to play against stall better. Also, it outspeeds most of specsogre and smacks it with EQ, so that's nice too. It's my go-to physical check. Although, I might consider phys def set if I don't think that this team is able to pressure Ho-Oh enough. It also forms a nice core with tenta, klefki, and skymin.

Kyogre: Just a old fashioned scarf kyogre, which works amazingly with toxic spikes. Tenta and Kygore complements each others well with Drizzle which lets Tenta to check Kyogre's checks and punish opponent with TS/Rapid spin/Knock off. Scarf Kyogre also limits Ho-Oh by denying the opportunity to switch in. It's also my go-to punisher for defog.

Arceus-Ghost: Additional physical check with a end-game condition. I needed a ekiller check, so Ghostceus was an obvious addition. It's also a spinblocker to maintain the tri-hazard support. Blastoise struggles to spin vs ghostceus due to TS's accumulation of damage and the fact that it cant beat +1 ghostceus. Focus blast is preferred over WoW since TS support clashes with WoW and the fact that Focus blast checks ekiller better than WoW anyways. It's also my Mewtwo check, which is a hard thing to get in this metagame. Ghostceus is also a good deterrent for defogging, since free CM could mean game over for opponent.

Klefki: Klefki synergizes with Landorus-T and Arceus-Ghost perfectly and forms yet other core. It's my spiker, Xern check, Yvel check, CM arc check, and general utility with Twave. Although, Goth weakness is disappointing, but it's limited to Charm variant if you choose to use HB Klefki.

Basically, this team aims to set up hazard then get Scarf Kyogre/Ghostceus sweep. Skymin shines on this team as an excellent mon to pressure opponent with hazard support and reducing my specsogre weakness.

However, this team has trouble with:

Refresh CM Arceus: I'm forced to go for CM war with Ghostceus or flinch it with Skymin. Although, seeding with Skymin then going to Ghostceus gives me the edge to win.
Ho-Oh: This team tries to deny and forcing Ho-Oh to die to SR much as possible. A well played Ho-Oh will be highly problematic to beat.
Gothitelle: Traps Klefki and gives opponent a clear win condition. This is alleviated by using HB Klefki, since Charm Goth haven't really caught on yet.
Status spam: This is annoying, but playing well with Shaymin can easily punish status spam and set up a subseed loop.

I'd do sand force hippo over lando and maybe change the arc forme to something else. I don't think you are taking advantage of skymin's niche with lando. One stone edge may kill it but it's not supposed to be a hard stop, just a way to dissuade the free EQ.

The obvious problem with going hippo is you lose the only way to kill para'd geoxern. There's not any other SR setter that works with skymin + tenta build, tho. Maybe using specs kyogre could fix or changing keys into another mon, not sure. You are using a defensive build with cleric so status will fuck you up. May be better to have a cleric fairy like clefable along with refresh ekiller or something?

I also feel like you need pursuit with skymin since mega gar food. Maybe mega scizor would work with some fancy refresh arc as status sponge?
(hmm skymin, haze tenta, offensive kyogre, pursuit mega sicz, refresh darky, hippo sounds good to me)

Last edited:
I'd do sand force hippo over lando and maybe change the arc forme to something else. I don't think you are taking advantage of skymin's niche with lando. One stone edge may kill it but it's not supposed to be a hard stop, just a way to dissuade the free EQ.

The obvious problem with going hippo is you lose the only way to kill para'd geoxern. There's not any other SR setter that works with skymin + tenta build, tho. Maybe using specs kyogre could fix or changing keys into another mon, not sure. You are using a defensive build with cleric so status will fuck you up. May be better to have a cleric fairy like clefable along with refresh ekiller or something?

I also feel like you need pursuit with skymin since mega gar food. Maybe mega scizor would work with some fancy refresh arc as status sponge?
(hmm skymin, haze tenta, offensive kyogre, pursuit mega sicz, refresh darky, hippo sounds good to me)
Like you identified, Hippo is just not strong enough. What about offensive SR Groudon? Groudon and Darkceus over Ghostceus on that team should work well. Darkceus is the bane of stall, so that fixes point 2. Ho-Oh doesn't get opportunity to switch into Groudon anyways. Groudon's Drought doesn't clash with Tenta, since Tenta checks Kyogre's checks which will retain Drizzle for it. Darkceus can check Palkia/Dialga anyways. I like this much more than clefable+ekiller or whatever lol. I think that I'll be fine vs Gengar with this team. Gengar does not get free mega vs anything except Shaymin-s which 2hkos Gengar on switch in with SR anyways.

Last edited:

I call it: shaymin sexsquad hnnggg ,,
So I built this team and I think its nice so wanted to post it in here. This thread seemed like a cool idea, and I've never used skymin like ever so I figured why not. I don't think skymin is a good pokemon at all, while it may "pressure defog balance", skymin's teammates already did that well enough; subseed wasn't a set I wanted to use. Unfortunately there isn't really another "standard" set it runs, so I had be come up with some kind of ye based innovation. I used skymin as a lure. When you think of skymin counters things such as heatran and ho-oh and possibly aegislash may come to mind. It just so happens to be that these pokemon are also full counters to a certain pokemon, that mon being cm arceus-fairy. CM fairyceus is a mon with deadly potential that can find many opportunities to set up and sweep under-prepared teams. However if a team isn't under-prepared it really appreciates having heatrans and ho-oh's removed. What better way to do this than to use earth power/hp rock skymin? These pokemon should be enough to break stall, and apply a lot of pressure to balanced teams, so now I just wanted to get to fixing up the holes. My first step was to add a stealth rock user, and groudon seemed like a really good one. I wanted a ground type mon to discourage zekrom from spamming bolt strike (which is important when using skymin), so its ground-typing would be a big utility. The main reason I used it over something like landorus though, is its ability. Groudon+gothitelle as kyogre check is something I wanted to try out for a while now, and this seemed like a good opportunity. Not only would gothitelle help remove arceus-fairy counters (that sykmin doesnt lure: think ferrothorn) but it can also trap and set up on kyogre after I sack groudon. The groudon set is more of a preference thing, I really like this set as it offers a bit more offensive pressure, but an impish set with leftovers is also usable (skymin can check darkrai, it only needs one flinch from full health). Now I noticed I had no way to really check geomancy xerneas, and my only "check" to ekiller was groudon. I also had quite a stag-weakness, mgar was epecially problematic. I added scizor so I couldn't only check both ekiller and xerneas, but also trap gengar if I needed to. I added victini as my last mon because I was pretty weak to mewtwo. Stall2 wrecks almost my entire team, though skymin does outspeed it, and offensive (calm mind) variants could came close to 6-0'ing me. Scizor can also be lacking as a xerneas check, as it only deals half damage. Victini can check xerneas and mewtwo excellently, and also greatly benefits from the sun that groudon supplies. now you might be looking at the last slot and wondering if I'm high but im not ,,, I bring to you today the piece of innovation that is magic coat victini you already kno. I came up with this strong set to improve my matchup against a certain archetype that could otherwise be pretty problematic; hyper offense. Marked by a suicide lead, HO has a relatively easy job overpowering this team by applying pressure to my balanced structure by abusing my lack of defog. Though scizor makes sure only one hazard gets up the sheer pressure could overpower me, so I wanted to have a way to nullify that pressure; magic coat victini does just that. Without this move tspikes leads also completely screw me over. Trick room really isnt needed that much for my team because without it victini still does it job of checking xerneas and mewtwo. I used a spread that has max spdef instead of max hp as this one doesn't have a 20% chance of get ohko'd by +2 thunder after rocks, and it also helps a bit more vs opposing cm fairyceus (+1 arc vs -1 victini now fails to 2hko, and also does less in other situations. Mcoat is fucking dope. Biggest threat to this team is spikestack. While I can force a "fair" trade, this being +6 full health in exchange for 3 spikes, spikes can still royally mess me up because of my lack of defog. I advice to double switch in victini/groudon in on spikes users early game (if just outright trapping them isnt better) so you can apply pressure yourself. Other than that, I guess spdef is really annoying, as well as fire blast ekiller potentially. It's also an option to use wisp fairyceus but that severely hinders its abiltiy to stallbreak and sponge status and I dont think its worth it. CM arceus water, ghost, and electric are also problematic, however I do beat fairy and dark. Scrubby user Steeljackal<3 pointed out that I could also use defog fairyceus, which I realise, but that would really defeat the purpose of the team which was to use skymin to lure in arceus fairy checks (or rather, make effective use of skymin). Do note that skymin only deals 54-64% to ho-oh with hp rock, but gothitelle can trap easily trap defog arceus forms that aren't ghost. People wanting to try this team out could use wisp arceus fairy+defog scizor if they want to. Overall I feel this team is pretty strong, I hope you like it.
Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Refresh

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Charm

Groudon @ Lum Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 188 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Victini @ Charcoal
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Magic Coat

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 156 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)