[Ubers Warstory]Greed, Hate, and Poison

This is my first warstory, and I never dreamed it would be an Ubers one. I consider myself a standard player, but Ubers is a real blast to play, and I’m becoming a fan. Yet it’s a sad commentary on the state of Ubers that I played the same guy five times today.

This is the best and final match of our informal series against each other. My opponent won the first match, I won the next two, and he won the fourth game. Read on to see who wins this one in a thrilling tale of greed, hate, and poisoning.

I did not have the opponent’s permission for a warstory, so his name will be omitted out of respect. Yet he is in the top 25 on the leaderboard, so rest assured that he is a competent player, as you will see below.

The teams:

My opponent’s team favors raw damage output, which is evidenced by his use of Deoxys-A as a lead, Choice Specs Kyogre, and its rain-loving buddy Palkia, along with the de-emphasis on Stealth Rock, which is relegated to a support Dialga. There is no Rayquaza or Darkrai, which may make my job a little easier, yet Deo-A and Wobbuffet, combined with Specs Kyogre, make things difficult. The Garchomp is a sub-Salac set. He never used its entire moveset in our matches, but why else would he have Wobbuffet if not to help it set up?
EDIT: Garchomp is scarfed, as I found out.

My team is a fairly standard ForryBliss ubers stall team, although it has a unique scarfed Dialga. Unfortunately, it is a bit more weak to Darkrai than most stall teams, but that can be dealt with by the aforementioned scarfer, and the team makes up for it by having prophylaxis against Rayquaza in the form of Groudon, Latias (who outspeeds it), and Dialga. Forretress is the center of the team with its entry hazards, and Blissey is the defensive front against the awesome elemental power wielded by the ubers. The rest are just there for support.

Leftovers recovery will be omitted for convenience. For me, everyone has leftovers except Latias and Dialga. For my opponent, only Wobbuffet has leftovers. Poison and weather will not be omitted, as they play a substantial role.

Rules: Shoddy Battle, Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

1)Opponent sent out Deoxys-f (lvl 100 Deoxys-f).
mtr12 sent out Groudon (lvl 100 Groudon).
Deoxys-f is exerting its pressure!
Groudon's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
The sun began to shine!
---
2)mtr12 switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias).
Deoxys-f used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 35% of its health.
The sun continues to shine.
---
@100%
@65%
A Deoxys-A lead…this is a highly fickle and unpredictable lead, and as such it isn’t fun for stall. However I have a scarfed revenge killer, so as long as I can break the sash, I’m good. My opponent is a conservative predictor, and I know he doesn’t have Shadow Ball (after I lost Forry to an HP Fire in the first game), so Latias can handle anything my opponent throws at me.

My Groudon lead is a support lead, but that doesn’t matter, as Deoxys-A wins anyways. I may not get up Stealth Rock this game, which is a huge blow to my stalling efforts. Regardless, Latias takes the Ice Beam effectively and prepares to Recover-stall out the opponent until it can attack.

3)Deoxys-f used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 40% of its health.
Latias used Recover.
Latias restored 50% of its health.
---
@100%
@75%
Latias takes another Ice Beam, and recovers off the damage. I’m hoping for no crit or freeze hax next time, as if that occurs, I will have to use Dialga, who will live a Superpower and triumph (a scarf lets it outspeed Deo-A), but in the process be heavily damaged and Latias dead. I can’t use Calm Mind because of his Garchomp, who outspeeds me.

4)Deoxys-f used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 37% of its health.
Latias used Dragon Pulse.
Deoxys-f lost 100% of its health.
Deoxys-f hung on using its Focus Sash!
---
@1%
@38%
And since I really don’t want to risk the hax, I attack. A Tackle could have done what I needed it to do, but Dragon Pulse works fine as well. Latias cannot live another Ice Beam, so I switch to Dialga in the hopes of getting it in on anything but a Superpower...

5)mtr12 switched in Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga).
Dialga is exerting its pressure!
Deoxys-f used Superpower.
It's super effective!
Dialga lost 73% of its health.
Deoxys-f's attack was lowered.
Deoxys-f's defence was lowered.
---
@1%
@27%
Yet my opponent sees my switch and blasts me. This isn’t going very well, but at least Dialga can end this menace with a Dragon Pulse. I’m up 6-5.

6)Dialga used Dragon Pulse.
Deoxys-f lost 0% of its health.
Opponent's Deoxys-f fainted.
---
7)Opponent switched in Wobbuffet (lvl 100 Wobbuffet).
Dialga used Dragon Pulse.
Wobbuffet lost 36% of its health.
Wobbuffet used Mirror Coat.
Dialga lost 27% of its health.
mtr12's Dialga fainted.
---
@70%
@fainted
Well, Wobbuffet would beat me anyways, so maybe the Superpower didn’t matter that much. Score is 5-5.

8)mtr12 switched in Forretress (lvl 100 Forretress).
Opponent switched in Kyogre (lvl 100 Kyogre).
Kyogre's Drizzle caused a storm!
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Forretress used Toxic Spikes.
Toxic Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
The rain continues to fall.
---
@100%
@100%
Forretress laughs at Wobbuffet, and Encore is only a minor annoyance. I take the opportunity to set up a layer of Toxic Spikes. In standard play, Toxic Spikes would be almost completely inferior option to Spikes, but in Ubers, quite the opposite is true. My opponent knows that, and gets in Kyogre before I can do more mischief with entry hazards.

9)mtr12 switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias).
Kyogre used Water Spout.
It's not very effective...
Latias lost 37% of its health.
mtr12's Latias fainted.
---
@100%
@fainted
Specs Kyogre is a horrible thing to face when your Latias is weakened. But at least Latias was around to take the incoming Water Spout so Blissey can survive it. This is why it is a good thing that no hax occurred on Latias when it was facing Deo-A: if it had been killed, I would have had to lose something else against Blissey, which may have cost me the game. I’m down 4-5.

10)mtr12 switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey).
Kyogre used Water Spout.
Blissey lost 64% of its health.
Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Kyogre lost 29% of its health.
---
@71%
@42%
Our favorite pink blob comes in to avenge its fallen comrades and make a bulwark against the monstrous leviathan that threatens to blast through my team. Blissey fires off a Seismic Toss to lower the power of the next Water Spout.

11)Blissey used Protect.
Blissey protected itself!
Kyogre used Water Spout.
---
@71%
@48%
One turn of Protect gives me enough health to survive a weakened Water Spout, and Wish away the damage, and that is what I do the next turn. If I had been greedy and used Wish, I wouldn’t have lived.

12)Kyogre used Water Spout.
Blissey lost 46% of its health.
Blissey used Wish.
Blissey made a wish!
---
@71%
@8%
And I use Wish in order to get back health and PP Stall the opponent. A PP Stall isn’t one of the more romantic aspects of stalling (unlike, say, using Toxic), but when you need to stall out the opponent, you do what you have to do. Plus, it’s joyfully sadistic fun!

13)Opponent switched in Palkia (lvl 100 Palkia).
Palkia is exerting its pressure!
Palkia was poisoned!
Palkia was poisoned by the Toxic Spikes!
Blissey used Protect.
The wish came true!
Blissey restored 50% of its health.
Palkia is hurt by poison!
Palkia lost 12% of its health.
---
@88%
@64%
Protect is the safe choice, and Blissey has recovered off much of the damage. I know this Palkia to be mixed, but even when I didn’t know that, I wouldn’t take any chances. Palkia doesn’t have too much in the way of raw power that I can’t handle, so I can switch stall it out and wait for Toxic Spikes to do their thing.

14)mtr12 switched in Groudon (lvl 100 Groudon).
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Palkia used Aqua Tail.
It's super effective!
Groudon lost 21% of its health.
---
@75%
@85%
But first, I go to Groudon to bring in the sunlight, which is one of the 3 pillars of Ubers stall,the others being Forretress and Blissey :). Actually, I made that up, though it’s true. Anyways, he takes the Aqua Tail well, but instead of using Stealth Rock, I get greedy, and…

15)mtr12 switched in Forretress (lvl 100 Forretress).
Palkia used Spacial Rend.
Forretress lost 38% of its health.
---
@63%
@68%
Urgh, my Forretress is specially defensive, and I’m used to Spacial Rend doing less than that when it's from a scarfer. A careless mistake, and one brought out of greed. Anyways, now that I’m in, I might as well do what I came to do.

16)Palkia used Surf.
Forretress lost 38% of its health.
Forretress used Toxic Spikes.
Toxic Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---
@50%
@36%
I can only hope that I can Wish off the damage later. Either way, I now have my full contingent of Toxic Spikes, which should prove quite helpful, right? Yet my stall team is weakened, and likely won’t survive too much more torture.

17)mtr12 switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey).
Palkia used Surf.
Blissey lost 10% of its health.
---
@37.5%
@60%
Blissey laughs at the incoming Surf. Aqua Tail could be a problem for my weakened Blissey, however, so I use Protect to scout out the opponent’s move and gain back another 6.25% of my health.

18)Opponent switched in Kyogre (lvl 100 Kyogre).
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Kyogre was badly poisoned!
Kyogre was badly poisoned by the Toxic Spikes!
Blissey used Protect.
Kyogre is hurt by poison!
Kyogre lost 6% of its health.
---
@65%
@66%
What a wasted Protect. Kyogre is easy enough to stall out, so I have an advantage. Yet I cannot go to Forretress and set up more layers unless I have a Wish, so I try to use Wish to first get back my Blissey to full health before healing my bagworm.

19)Kyogre used Ice Beam.
Blissey lost 17% of its health.
Blissey used Wish.
Blissey made a wish!
Kyogre lost 12% of its health.
---
@53%
@55%
I wonder what he was predicting there. Groudon? Giratina? Maybe hoping for freezehax? Well, Blissey will become fully healthy next turn. In the meantime, Toxic Spikes is draining Kyogre of its health.

20)Opponent switched in Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga).
Dialga lost 25% of its health.
The wish came true!
Blissey restored 44% of its health.
---
@75%
@100%
No point in using Protect, so I may as well try to get off extra damage.

21)mtr12 switched in Giratina (lvl 100 Giratina).
Giratina is exerting its pressure!
Dialga used Thunder Wave.
Giratina is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
@75%
@100%
Misprediction on my part. I was expecting a scarfer or a mixed attacker, not a support set. I’m afraid of Brick Break or Aura Sphere, and I thought that Giratina could take the hit with its Fighting immunity.

22)Dialga used Dragon Pulse.
It's super effective!
Giratina lost 60% of its health.
Giratina is paralysed! It can't move!
---
@75%
@46%
It’s harsh to let the spirit dragon suffer like this, but there’s a method to my madness. Groudon disdains taking such special blows, especially when it has been slightly weakened already. And I may need Groudon later.
: This is a critical move in the match.

23)mtr12 switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey).
A critical hit!
Blissey lost 33% of its health.
---
@75%
@66%
First critical hit of the game, and it is almost meaningless now, though it will have an impact later. Blissey laughs at anything this Dialga can do, and it can Wish off the damage.

24)Opponent switched in Wobbuffet (lvl 100 Wobbuffet).
Wobbuffet was badly poisoned!
Wobbuffet was badly poisoned by the Toxic Spikes!
Blissey used Wish.
Blissey made a wish!
Wobbuffet is hurt by poison!
Wobbuffet lost 6% of its health.
---
@70%
@72%
Which is exactly what I do. Blissey will win this battle of the blobs, as Toxic Spikes will let me 3HKO Wobbuffet with Seismic Toss.

25)Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Wobbuffet lost 19% of its health.
Wobbuffet used Encore.
Blissey got an encore!
The wish came true!
Blissey restored 21% of its health.
Wobbuffet lost 12% of its health.
---
@45%
@100%
An interesting choice to use Encore over Counter, though he obviously wants to block my healing abilities. It would make sense from his perspective.

26)Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Wobbuffet used Counter.
Blissey lost 31% of its health.
---
@14%
@75%
It hurts to take the Counter, but nothing can be done.

27)Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Wobbuffet lost 14% of its health.
Opponent's Wobbuffet fainted.
---
@fainted
@81%
Wobbuffet dies, but my opponent has me cornered. With my walling ability limited, Kyogre can come in and begin destroying my team with Rain-boosted Surfs. On another note, has anyone noticed how funny it is that a fat pink blob outspeeds a skinny blue one? The score is 4-4.

28)Opponent switched in Kyogre (lvl 100 Kyogre).
Kyogre used Surf.
Blissey lost 38% of its health.
Kyogre lost 29% of its health.
Kyogre lost 6% of its health.
---
@17%
@49%
Though Blissey can’t heal itself, it can still try to stop Kyogre from butchering my team. The leviathan is taking a beating from Toxic Spikes, and it won’t be alive much longer. I need to find some way to get poison damage on it and in the process keep Groudon alive.

29)mtr12 switched in Giratina (lvl 100 Giratina).
Kyogre used Surf.
Giratina lost 36% of its health.
Kyogre lost 12% of its health.\
---
@5%
@16%
Giratina doesn’t like taking the Surf, but it hasn’t been much use to me anyways, so I don’t care. One more turn of Toxic Spikes is all I need.

30)mtr12 switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey).
Kyogre used Surf.
Blissey lost 35% of its health.
Kyogre lost 5% of its health.
Opponent's Kyogre fainted.
---
@fainted
@21%
You may think this is a poor decision, but it’s not. Now I have two pokemon alive to enable more switch-stalling if necessary. A Rain and Lustrous Orb-boosted Aqua Tail does 61.20% - 72.24% (libelldra) on my Calm Blissey anyways, meaning that at this point I would have been OHKO’d no matter what. Might as well try to take down Palkia. I’m up 4-3.

31)Opponent switched in Palkia (lvl 100 Palkia).
Palkia is exerting its pressure!
Blissey used Protect.
---
@25%
@27%
I knew Palkia would enter the field, not that my knowledge could do anything. Protect let me stall for Leftovers gain and poison damage. Looks like my opponent thought Giratina was coming in.

32)Palkia used Aqua Tail.
Blissey lost 27% of its health.
mtr12's Blissey fainted.
---
@13%
@fainted
Rest in piece, my friend. You served the cause admirably. Palkia unfortunately wasn’t badly poisoned because it came into Toxic Spikes after Forretress had only put up one layer, but one layer can still help me. I need Palkia gone so Groudon can beat the rest of his team. Score is tied at 3-3.

33)mtr12 switched in Giratina (lvl 100 Giratina).
Palkia's attack missed!
Giratina is paralysed! It can't move!
---
@1%
@23%
Parahaxed again? At least Spacial Rend missed* and I get off more poison damage. Well, Giratina hasn’t been very useful this match. He never seems to be unless the opponent has a Forretress. All I can do is stall until Palkia dies.

34)Palkia used Spacial Rend.
It's super effective!
Giratina lost 23% of its health.
mtr12's Giratina fainted.
Palkia lost 1% of its health.
Opponent's Palkia fainted.
---
@fainted
@fainted
Finally, the master of space falls to the toxins in his bloodstream. It’s up to the king of droughts and a greedy bagworm to pull through for me. The score is tied at 2-2.

35)Opponent switched in Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga).
mtr12 switched in Groudon (lvl 100 Groudon).
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Groudon used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Dialga lost 72% of its health.
Groudon lost 49% of its health.
---
@4%
@42%
Now you know why I threw Giratina at the Dragon Pulse. Otherwise, Groudon would be dead and I would have lost.

36)Groudon used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Dialga lost 4% of its health.
Opponent's Dialga fainted.
---
@fainted
@48%
Well, Groudon usually likes to be slower than Kyogre to get up sun. But here, the 32 speed EVs ensure that I easily beat Dialga and get a useless crit on it. I lead 2-1.

37)Opponent switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
Garchomp was badly poisoned!
Garchomp was badly poisoned by the Toxic Spikes!
Garchomp used Earthquake.
Groudon lost 25% of its health.
Groudon used Dragon Claw.
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 54% of its health.
Garchomp is hurt by poison!
Garchomp lost 6% of its health.
---
@40%
@29%
Oh no. Outrage means that I’m dead, but he won’t use Outrage (if he has it) because Forretress is still there, can take a non-boosted Outrage and hit back with Payback, and his prized sweeper is badly poisoned. I don’t know Garchomp’s set (it wasn’t fully revealed in our matches), but have you noticed that my opponent hasn’t employed any setup sweepers? His main sweeper has to be Garchomp. Probably some sub-Salac set or whatever.

38)Garchomp used Earthquake.
Groudon lost 28% of its health.
Groudon survives with 1%!
Groudon used Dragon Claw.
It's super effective!
Garchomp lost 40% of its health.
Opponent's Garchomp fainted.
mtr12 wins!
---
@fainted
@7%
Groudon lives the Earthquake, defeats the landshark, and the victory goes to me, 2-0.

*This miss ended up being the reason for my win.

My Props:
-Blissey for being a horrifically resilient pink blob
-Forretress for setting up Toxic Spikes
-Myself for knowing the value of Groudon
-No important hax
-Sweep vs. Stall

My Slops:
-Giratina didn’t do anything besides die
-Forry got greedy with trying to get up more Toxic Spikes
-The second layer didn’t really do much anyways

Opponent’s Props:
-Great prediction regarding my Dialga
-Good work trapping my team with the Encore on Blissey
-Lustrous Orb Palkia is a monster
-No important hax
-Sweep vs. Stall

Opponent’s Slops:
-Garchomp’s relatively pathetic damage output
-Dialga wasn’t too useful

The MVP:
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
---
Blissey held the line against Kyogre, Dialga, Wobbuffet, and Palkia before it fell. It is definitely better in ubers than it is in standard. And this particular variant can beat a SpecsOgre in single combat, which helps quite a bit.

Thank you to everyone who rated my ubers team and made it into its current shape. And thank you for reading this and giving it constructive criticism.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Lots and lots of font tags. I can't read it with those so I'll edit this post afterwards.

EDIT:Ok, I liked this story. Prediction was good on both sides and comments weren't bad. I haven't personally seen an Ubers Stall team work so well which made the story much more interesting to me. Good warstory.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Classic case of Uber Stall dominating :)

Your opponent let you set up TSpikes and it wound up completely killing him in the end. If Garchomp didn't get poisoned, it would have been able to SD up and take out your last two mons, but it couldnt. Pretty good match, your opponent just came up one turn short.

Specs Kyogre is a horrible thing to face when your Latias is weakened. But at least Latias was around to take the incoming Water Spout so Blissey can survive it. This is why it is a good thing that no hax occurred on Latias when it was facing Deo-A: if it had been killed, I would have had to lose something else against Blissey, which may have cost me the game. I’m down 4-5.
At this point, you gave away the outcome, and I stopped reading.

this was a decent read a classic stall warstory mayby this brought me back to uber-stall

overall good work 7/10

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually the miss did matter as Chomp could have just started Outraging with Forretress dead.

Though you would have won had you not sacrificed Blissey there but switched Giratina in to die then protect stalled with Blissey again. That way you wouldn't have needed the miss.

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
This was against me....

I hate uber stall.

Did we really play five times?

And btw I play no setup sweepers

That`s why this team works

It was a scarf chomp.. This makes me wanna put brick break over stealth rocks because i hardly use them anyway.ggs

Edit:Feel free to put my name up

LOL that miss did matter if it hadn`t happened forretress would have died and i could have outraged groudon

Wait, then why do you have a Wobby? Just for revenge killing?

EDIT: yes, we did.

You won the first game by using HP Fire on my Forry.
I stalled you out the next two games.
You won the fourth game 2-0 or 3-0.
This was our last and closest game.

HSA

INTellectual gamer
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Wobb revenge kills the revenge killer, plus who dosen`t like the blue blob?

@Everyone: Thanks!

@-Zero-: to be honest, I felt that on quite a few turns, there wasn't much to say that was unique. But there were some good predictions (mainly on his part), some bad ones, and a PP stall. How many games have a PP stall and still end in under 40 turns? That alone was pretty cool. Plus, as jrrr brought up, the battle was quite close. Anyways, I will consider your criticism. How could I make my comments better?

@HSA: you got me. I'm way too used to Wobby/DDRay combos, and I projected that on your team.

Excellent read and I actually haven't seen good warstories in a while.
This was probably one of the best ones in a month of crappy warstories.

Especially ubers which I am getting into since I love the battle of the
legends.

Overall, I thought it was a decent read. I am a bit puzzled out by some of the decisions you made, such as why you bothered switching in Dialga on Deoxys-A when Latias was capable of handling it herself, and why your opponent tried to outpredicted with Kyogre's Ice Beam when he had no reason to.

Overall, the battle was fairly linear, and the comments were not bad at all, but were lacking somewhat.

I hope to see more warstories from you in the future.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I thought it was quite a good read, but I was a confused in your "slops" when you said "-The second layer didn’t really do much anyways" wouldn't wob of killed your blissey if it didn't have toxic poison guess it would have been easier to kill kyoger with reg poison though

I enjoyed the war story. I actually read the entire match, which is something I almost never do. Nice job... IDK, but for some reason I liked it more than many others that I have seen lately.

Overall, I thought it was a decent read. I am a bit puzzled out by some of the decisions you made, such as why you bothered switching in Dialga on Deoxys-A when Latias was capable of handling it herself, and why your opponent tried to outpredicted with Kyogre's Ice Beam when he had no reason to.

Overall, the battle was fairly linear, and the comments were not bad at all, but were lacking somewhat.

I hope to see more warstories from you in the future.
Well, the thing is that Latias @ 38% was in KO range of an Ice Beam. So the next turn it would be dead if I hadn't got it out. By going to Dialga, I got to keep it so I could offer it to SpecsOgre, thus getting in Blissey for free.

And the reason I didn't keep Recover-stalling is that every turn I did it, I was risking a crit or a freeze. Calm Minding would have been pointless because of his Garchomp.

Well, Sweep v. Stall warstories do end up being fairly linear, and they're only worth writing about when the opponent is playing very offensively. What would you like me to do to flesh out my comments?

I feel like an idiot sometimes. I just got scared because support Dialgas are usually seen as leads and this one had a Lum Berry I think.

But there is weird stuff out there in ubers. I played Ike123 yesterday and he had a Swords Dance/Extremespeed/Flamethrower/Draco Meteor Rayquaza. That scared me because I was relying on Dialga to revenge kill SDRay.

im confused on why anyone would ever switch wobbuffet out of Forretress. he could have put up safeguard, then encore whatever you did, then switch out. instead he gave you free choice of moves and decided to just accept a poisoned wobbuffet :/

it was an ok game, but i question the desicion making at times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)