UK Pokémon Tournament: London

This October, Gamerbase Trocadero in London will be holding a Pokémon tournament with players using their own copies of HeartGold, SoulSilver, Diamond, Pearl or Platinum to battle it out on big screen HD TV's through Pokémon Battle Revolution. The UK Pokémon fans finally get the chance for a proper event to come together, have some fun and have some battles. This event is open for Pokéfans of all ages. Registration will start at 9:30, with battling set to start at 11:00. Please arrive early so that there’s enough time to register. If you wish to enter, you need to print off and fill out the Team Information Sheet above, and register on the Gamerbase website, which a link can be found for above as well.

• Each player must enter 4-6 Pokémon on his or her Team Information Sheet. See the Ineligible and Restricted Pokémon lists below for more information on which Pokémon are eligible for the tournament.
  • Each player must enter 0-6 held items on his or her Team Information Sheet.
  • Players may only use Pokémon and held items listed on their Team Information Sheet during the tournament.
  • The Pokémon and held items listed on a player's Team Information Sheet may not be changed once the player has registered for the event.
  • Players may change which held item a Pokémon is using between matches so long as both the Pokémon and the held item are listed on the player's Team Information Sheet.

Each match is played using the Pokémon Battle Revolution game on Nintendo Wii using the Nintendo DS wireless connectivity.

• Each player uses four Pokémon during the battle, and sends out two Pokémon at a time.
  • The Flat Battle rules have an auto-level feature, which sets all Pokémon that are above level 50 down to level 50 for the duration of the battle with the following parameters:
  • Each Pokémon retains all of the moves that it knew before being auto-levelled
  • Pokémon that evolve after level 50 do not devolve when auto-levelled
  • Pokémon below level 50 will also be auto-levelled up to level 50 for the battle
  • The Pokémon's stats are adjusted to what its level 50 stats would be
  • A player's team may not contain two Pokémon with the same National Pokédex number.
  • Each Pokémon on a player's team may use held items, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item during battle. Allowed items include held items from Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver Versions, including Berries 1-64. The Soul Dew item may not be used.
  • Players may not enter two Pokémon with the same nickname.
  • Players may not enter a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon character (for example, a Lucario nicknamed "Spiritomb").
  • If all remaining Pokémon from both players are fainted by the moves Selfdestruct or Explosion, the player that used the move loses the battle.
  • If a player's final Pokémon uses Perish Song or Destiny Bond, that move will fail.

• Battles will be limited to 10 minutes each.
  • The Final will be unrestricted unless absolutely necessary depending on the time.
  • When the time limit runs out, the player with the most Pokémon remaining is decided the winner by the game.
  • There will also be a 1 minute limit for selecting a move to use. If the player does not select a move within the limited time, the game will automatically select one randomly.

Pokémon may only use moves (including those learned in an earlier video game) that have been learned through one of the following methods:

• By levelling up
  • By TM or HM
  • As an Egg move, through breeding
  • From a Move Tutor
  • Already learned by a Pokémon that was received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
  • Already learned by a Pokémon that was received from another Pokémon game (such as the Pikachu that knows Surf from Pokémon Battle Revolution)
  • By Smeargle's "Sketch" move (limited to the above moves learned by Pokémon from 001 to 493).

A Japanese copy of Pokémon Black or White version, a £20 HMV Voucher, and a 1st Place Trophy.

A Japanese copy of Pokémon Black or White version, a £10 HMV Voucher, and a 2nd Place Trophy.

Pokémon goodies, a £20 HMV Voucher, and a 3rd Place Medal.

The use of external devices to alter the Pokémon in a player's party is expressly forbidden.
Players found to have Pokémon that have been tampered with, flagged up by the in-game checking function in PBR, will be disqualified from the event, regardless of whether the player tampered with his or her game or received a Pokémon or item that was tampered with by someone other than the player. It is the player's responsibility to have legal Pokémon. Event officials have the final determination regarding the legality of a Pokémon. Players and spectators are expected to demonstrate proper sportsmanship over the course of the event. A player may be disqualified from the event based on actions taken by friends or relatives who disrupt the operation of the tournament.

He sure did, but Akira isn't hosting the event from what I recall. Me and Pikachimba are, we're expecting to be talking with the manager directly in london in the next couple of weeks. As stated above, Pikachimba has already contacted and met the manager of the HMV Gamerbase in London.

Also, Akira states a format that fully confirmed, we're pretty sure it will be that, but the format information is not really required as of yet, although I do empathise that format has an impact on whether players attend or not, we're not 100% sure, so stay tuned for that.

This is the main thread, only because the other is an interest thread whilst this one will be updated reguarly with the format, images, location details etc unlike the other which was a request by pikachimba to raise awareness.

If Akira is attending, I didn't know, his post doesn't really say he does. Although, I could do with him teaching me at the event a few tricks like he did for his victory dance at manchester. ;)

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wasn't at Manchester, but I live in London, so there's no reason for me not to go.

I'll be there provided there's a date confirmed before September and provided that Kinneas/GEC are going.

Hopefully, I can be there; however, there's a pretty high chance I may be going on holiday with my family at that time. Can't really confirm this until closer to the time, though.

Hey all...

just replying to all the previous posts above on this one....

Pikachimba (Ivan) asked me on Facebook if I could set up an interest thread on Smogon to get numbers and get people interested, so yes this is the same event.

Anyhow, I will be definately be there ( a weekend is better due to work etc)

Pokerob do you need any posters or any promotional material made for this? As I'm willing to offer services for free :)

Pokerob do you need any posters or any promotional material made for this? As I'm willing to offer services for free :)
It's dependant on what are you services exactly mate. If you can visitor message me on my profile I'll discuss there with you. :)

Thanks to all of you who have given me your feedback (lol kinneas), so far we have 18 signatures, a good start I think!

I missed the birmingham one even though I live there..

I'll attend this one though. Can I just ask why are all these tournaments double battles?

I do kind of agree with Kinneas to be honest, why are we using old VGC rules instead of newer rules?
I believe it's probably because last year's metagame was less centralised. This year, Kyogre's on the majority of teams; weather control is definitely the dominant strategy. Last year, weather wasn't such a major influence, meaning other team types were more viable.

I'm not sure whether I support this decision or not, to be honest. I guess it worked for the Manchester tourney, so it should also work in London...

EDIT: Oh, and double battles are more suitable for IRL tournaments because they're faster. When you only have a limited amount of time, and a limited number of simultaneous matches, you can't really afford to have 6v6 stallfests going on.

Thank you Wichu. :)

Also to add it isn't old because Tyranitar wasn't in last years rules and it's in this one. Tyranitar adds sandstorm as a possible choice now to combat rain dance, trick room good stuff teams etc.

Plus I loled because I thought what was funny was VGC10 you got Kinneas coming runner up (shoulda won) and then going out round 1 in VGC09 rulings, hence his request, I have a hunch anyway lol.

I was suggesting Multi Battles, but y'know what happens there, less matches to format meaning we could do 6v6 instead of 4v4 and then you go into a more unknown format plus the fact people going alone pair up with strangers and beg they're good, cept smogoners who'll team up. I wanted to do this but Havak really convinced me out of it when I suggested it.

There's also battle tower singles, but I don't see much hoorah for that.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm maybe sounds like fun! I wouldn't mind 6v6 either to be honest if that was at all possible, but I would do 4v4 also.

I believe it's probably because last year's metagame was less centralised. This year, Kyogre's on the majority of teams; weather control is definitely the dominant strategy. Last year, weather wasn't such a major influence, meaning other team types were more viable.

I'm not sure whether I support this decision or not, to be honest. I guess it worked for the Manchester tourney, so it should also work in London...

EDIT: Oh, and double battles are more suitable for IRL tournaments because they're faster. When you only have a limited amount of time, and a limited number of simultaneous matches, you can't really afford to have 6v6 stallfests going on.
I see. Another question is Pokesav banned?

Well, as it's using similar rules to the VGC, I guess so. It's not very nice if you do so, anyway; I (as well as the majority of others) will be using legitimate Pokémon.

Thank you Wichu. :)

Also to add it isn't old because Tyranitar wasn't in last years rules and it's in this one. Tyranitar adds sandstorm as a possible choice now to combat rain dance, trick room good stuff teams etc.
Okay then, "why is it being based off older rules?".

I don't think the Kinneas stuff is true but yeah, I'm just confused as to why we are using older based rules instead of newer. I'm not opposing it because I don't know much about either because I've not really played either, it just seems a bit weird to me!

Okay then, "why is it being based off older rules?".

I don't think the Kinneas stuff is true but yeah, I'm just confused as to why we are using older based rules instead of newer. I'm not opposing it because I don't know much about either because I've not really played either, it just seems a bit weird to me!
because last year's metagame was less centralised. This year, Kyogre's on the majority of teams; weather control is definitely the dominant strategy. Last year, weather wasn't such a major influence, meaning other team types were more viable.
How about before you criticise the format give it a shot Twash then get back to the topic. Ask Kinneas for VGC10 then Akira for VGC09.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
VGC2010 rules would probably be fine, but it's a little more difficult to enforce. So many people broke Item Clause at the Manchester tournament and it held things up quite a bit sometimes. Parts of the rules get glanced over and quite frankly, I don't like the idea of a strict ruling like: "If you bring in more than two Ubers to your battle, you lose". If someone has travelled a long distance to play, I wouldn't want to DQ them without them even finishing a game, no matter how stupid they've been. It's not what these Events are about, they're about giving everyone a chance. If people kept accidentally taking more than two Ubers into battle, it'd slow down the tournament way too much and I doubt it'd finish - it's just something I can see happening.

There's also the fact that, as has already been stated, VGC2010 is far more centralized at the moment and usually isn't as fun. I know this is a competitive tournament, but it's nice to see more variety. We had some awesome matches in Manchester and I'd personally like to see more of the same.

6v6 Singles is completely out of the question and shouldn't be brought up - not unless you want a match with Standard Rules but a 10 minute time limit to make sure everything gets done. If there was no time limit, it'd take an eternity.

So, to me, this leaves VGC2009 with added Tyranitar and Dragonite, or 3v3 Singles which is hardly competitive and was the format used in Manchester's 2009 tournament. VGC2010 would work, but it'd take more explaining before the tournament happens and for the casual players at least, using the term Legendary or Uber wouldn't be right. You'd have to make many copies of the Restricted Pokémon list and keep drilling it into everyone's head - then it'd be an option.

I highly doubt I'll be able to make it to London, but I'll be helping promote this online along with Rob, Ivan, and a few others. However, they'll be a second Manchester Tournament on November 6th, as we got Nintendo to send us some supplies after the success of the last tournament. Hope to see some of you there as well :)

How about before you criticise the format give it a shot Twash then get back to the topic. Ask Kinneas for VGC10 then Akira for VGC09.
I wasn't criticising, I was asking because I hadn't given it a shot (normally tournaments run based off the latest rules). It was a genuine question, I thought "I'm not opposing it" made that clear..

Thanks Havak for explaining it more thoroughly, it makes sense to use it seeing as 2010 rules are harder to enforce. I'm stoked to get a team together as soon as it's confirmed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)