Ultimate Balanced Team

Is this team successful

• Yes

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After a series of testing i decided to replace Latias with Latios. Latios showed far more destructive power.

Please feel free to suggest and comment my team.
No team is perfect this one has gaps too. Help me fill as many gaps as possible.

BUMP

I was thinking of putting breloom instead of conkeldurr.
Please tell me what you think of that idea.
I also sometimes have problem with sub/disable gengar. Any solutions?
Please post your opinion and suggestion.
Let's not let this RMT die too soon.

gr8astard

Here comes the waterworks!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Although there might not be any problems defensively with this team, I don't see this team doing much, if at all, to break opponents' teams. For instance, your team won't ever be able to break a Chansey-Skarmory core, since Conkeldurr is the only thing in your team that can deal noticeable damage to Chansey, while Donphan-Conkeldurr-Skarmory-Chansey can't do anything to Skarmory (Conkeldurr can attempt to set up bulk ups but once it is gone or is very low in health due to brave bird, you will lose your only means of killing Chansey). Although you have hazard support, the lack of spin-blockers means you will be unlikely to keep them around--against a good or decent player anyway.
This is compounded by the fact that I don't think this team can deal with the everpresent volt-turn teams (rotom+scizor+ttar+landorus+celebi+terrakion), both offensively and defensively. I am pretty sure everything on your team gets 1 or 2HKOed by banded terrakion's close combat, with only latios and conkeldurr being able to respond to avoid the second hit (courtesy of mach punch).
I also see sub-disable Gengar as a big issue here because 1) your chansey can't touch it, 2) your latios is outsped, 3) volcarona, conkeldurr and donphan only has one move to hit it for any decent damage, 4) skarmory will be badly hurt after an encounter with Gengar.
I would suggest running a swords dance Scizor with life orb/leftovers/iron plate, where you can either use the max HP max attack version, or the specially defensive version listed on smogon. Not only will Scizor give you a way to check Terrakion, but it can deal with sub-disable Gengar just fine. To a lesser extent, it can run rampant once your Conkeldurr forces the foe's Skarmory to be low on health, possibly opening up the way for a Scizor sweep.
The only issue is finding the guy to switch out. I'm thinking volcarona, because not only is SR more likely going to be in play as the majority of OU spinblockers will win vs your donphan one-on-one, but also, despite the fact that only a handful of pokemon walls it (Blissey/Chansey, Dnite/Mence, Gyarados), Dnite is so common (#2 in usage) that I don't see that it's worth using.

Although there might not be any problems defensively with this team, I don't see this team doing much, if at all, to break opponents' teams. For instance, your team won't ever be able to break a Chansey-Skarmory core, since Conkeldurr is the only thing in your team that can deal noticeable damage to Chansey, while Donphan-Conkeldurr-Skarmory-Chansey can't do anything to Skarmory (Conkeldurr can attempt to set up bulk ups but once it is gone or is very low in health due to brave bird, you will lose your only means of killing Chansey). Although you have hazard support, the lack of spin-blockers means you will be unlikely to keep them around--against a good or decent player anyway.
This is compounded by the fact that I don't think this team can deal with the everpresent volt-turn teams (rotom+scizor+ttar+landorus+celebi+terrakion), both offensively and defensively. I am pretty sure everything on your team gets 1 or 2HKOed by banded terrakion's close combat, with only latios and conkeldurr being able to respond to avoid the second hit (courtesy of mach punch).
I also see sub-disable Gengar as a big issue here because 1) your chansey can't touch it, 2) your latios is outsped, 3) volcarona, conkeldurr and donphan only has one move to hit it for any decent damage, 4) skarmory will be badly hurt after an encounter with Gengar.
I would suggest running a swords dance Scizor with life orb/leftovers/iron plate, where you can either use the max HP max attack version, or the specially defensive version listed on smogon. Not only will Scizor give you a way to check Terrakion, but it can deal with sub-disable Gengar just fine. To a lesser extent, it can run rampant once your Conkeldurr forces the foe's Skarmory to be low on health, possibly opening up the way for a Scizor sweep.
The only issue is finding the guy to switch out. I'm thinking volcarona, because not only is SR more likely going to be in play as the majority of OU spinblockers will win vs your donphan one-on-one, but also, despite the fact that only a handful of pokemon walls it (Blissey/Chansey, Dnite/Mence, Gyarados), Dnite is so common (#2 in usage) that I don't see that it's worth using.

First of all,thanks for the rate.
I have faced many Skarm/chancey cores, and i have never had problems with them.
I can handle Terrakion with my Skarmory efficiently. I am aware that Volt-turn teams are a problem. But not always. I have faced the best players with Vol-turn teams and i beat them because i played carefully. I put breloom instead of Conkeldurr.
Trust me, if any pokemon should be switched out it shouldnt be volcarona. It kills most of the opponents pokemon. I have replaced Conkeldurr with Breloom because i had problems with Rain stall teams, right now that problem is gone.
However this still isnt a finished team. I am testing all the suggestions you guys give.
Another reason why Volcarona shouldn't be removed is because i need him as a special attacker while Scizor is a physical attacker.
~

After this new change of this team i have less problems with Rain stall teams.
However i sometimes have a problem with Dragonites and volt-turn teams.
Sub-disable gengar is sometimes a problem as well but not as often as it was before.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. This team needs more improvement

Solid team. Nice to know basic balance still exists without ruddy Volt-Turn!
The first thing I feel I should ask is, which gives you more trouble, Terrakion or Dragonite? Dragonite does pose some problems as Rocks has to be up before Dragonite switches in in order to break that Multi-Scale, so, if it switches in before Rocks come up, you may have some trouble taking it down. On the other hand, Terrakion can deal plenty of damage to anything that switches in. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to see if your Volcarona would be best off with HP Rock to deal with Dragonite - which could really help you, or leave you open to Terrakion.
Stall really kinda wrecks you. While good ol' classic stall isn't so common any more, most of your 'mons are walled and crippled by Chansey, the ones spamming Thunder Wave left right and centre. Most stall teams also pack a ResTalker, so Breloom isn't much of a surefire tactic, especially if that ResTalker is Gyarados. Without ruining your team, all I can suggest is to run Taunt on Skarmory. Skarmory's good speed allows it to outspeed common stall 'mons and Taunt them with relative ease, which can really benefit against some common stuff like Ferrothorn, Chansey etc. which in turn gets you great opportunities to Spike more and start spamming Whirlwind.

Hope I helped!

Solid team. Nice to know basic balance still exists without ruddy Volt-Turn!
The first thing I feel I should ask is, which gives you more trouble, Terrakion or Dragonite? Dragonite does pose some problems as Rocks has to be up before Dragonite switches in in order to break that Multi-Scale, so, if it switches in before Rocks come up, you may have some trouble taking it down. On the other hand, Terrakion can deal plenty of damage to anything that switches in. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to see if your Volcarona would be best off with HP Rock to deal with Dragonite - which could really help you, or leave you open to Terrakion.
Stall really kinda wrecks you. While good ol' classic stall isn't so common any more, most of your 'mons are walled and crippled by Chansey, the ones spamming Thunder Wave left right and centre. Most stall teams also pack a ResTalker, so Breloom isn't much of a surefire tactic, especially if that ResTalker is Gyarados. Without ruining your team, all I can suggest is to run Taunt on Skarmory. Skarmory's good speed allows it to outspeed common stall 'mons and Taunt them with relative ease, which can really benefit against some common stuff like Ferrothorn, Chansey etc. which in turn gets you great opportunities to Spike more and start spamming Whirlwind.

Hope I helped!
Thanks for the rate.

Terrakion isn't even a problem. Because i wall it with skarmory; Take the damage and then roost. The problem is DD Dragonite which comes before SR. And + if there are other dragons on that team as well i have a lot of problems, because Skarmory can't handle everything alone.
Thats why i tend to keep Donphan alive until i have killed at least one dragon Pokemon my opponent has.
I use the HP ground on volcarona so that i can beat heatrans that come confident against my volcarona. HP rock would be useful only when Multiscale is broken or if i have +2 Quiver dance.
Anyways i will test the HP Rock

gr8astard

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 9th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I seriously doubt you have faced "the best players with Vol-turn teams and beat them." For one thing, Skarmory WILL be 2hko'ed by a CB Close combat without fail, so Skarmory does not wall Terrakion. The only thing that can "wall" Terrakion is Gliscor because it forces Terrakion to go for the Stone Miss, and other lower tier walls such as Nidoqueen or Claydol.
In addition, the only thing that could take on Rotom-W on your team are Chansey, Volcarona, Latios and now Breloom. However, none of the above mentioned pokemon can deal with CB Terrakion, while you can be rest assured that Latios will be pursuit-trapped more often than not against these "best players with volt-turn".
I do believe that Breloom is a great addition to your team as it helps combat rain-stall (especially if you opt to use the bulk up Breloom), although the lack of Conkeldurr's Mach Punch here means that you will be even more susceptible to banded Terrakion's assaults.
There really is no problem with replacing a special attacker with a physical attacker IMO, since it is better to try and overwhelm one side of the defensive spectrum. I stand by my opinion that Chansey walls Volcarona and Latios cold, while all your other pokes are walled by Skarmory. I'm not even saying that Skarmory-Chansey is a good core in this metagame, but in your case I don't see you breaking them. Additionally, as I have mentioned before, Donphan can't win against Gengar or Jellicent, the most common spin-blockers in the game, making it more likely that the opponent's SR is there to stay, consequently making Volcarona a liability.
That is my two cents anyway, so good luck in your team building.

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey emirinho,

I'd recommend a 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk EV spread for Donphan, since it's not worth investing Speed for a Pokemon whose speed sits at a meager Base 50. This team has rather a hard time dealing with Blissey, if Breloom were to go down. Your two other Pokemon qualified as "physical attacker" are Skarmory and Donphan, two of which play similar roles as Defensive walls. They don't pack enough offensive power, so Terrakion > Skarmory would help your team's cause. The SubSD set would do fine. Terrakion has great synergy with Latios, and can add more pressure on Sand and Sun teams. Without further ado, here's the set.

@

Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

Substitute can be used to gain a free turn. On the subsequent turn, you can use SD to double your Attack Stat, or use Close Combat and Stone Edge to put a large dent on anything that does not resist it. The Rock Gem seems odd. However, at +2, STAB Stone Edge, aided by Rock Gem, will OHKO Gliscor (after it takes Stealth Rock damage). The EVs ease Terrakion's job. Justified is a cool ability that lets you come in on Tyranitar's Crunch.

Well, I will take another look at your team tomorrow, to see if I can add to my rate to furthermore help your team. It's pretty cool. Good luck!

~ Expert Physics

I seriously doubt you have faced "the best players with Vol-turn teams and beat them." For one thing, Skarmory WILL be 2hko'ed by a CB Close combat without fail, so Skarmory does not wall Terrakion. The only thing that can "wall" Terrakion is Gliscor because it forces Terrakion to go for the Stone Miss, and other lower tier walls such as Nidoqueen or Claydol.
In addition, the only thing that could take on Rotom-W on your team are Chansey, Volcarona, Latios and now Breloom. However, none of the above mentioned pokemon can deal with CB Terrakion, while you can be rest assured that Latios will be pursuit-trapped more often than not against these "best players with volt-turn".
I do believe that Breloom is a great addition to your team as it helps combat rain-stall (especially if you opt to use the bulk up Breloom), although the lack of Conkeldurr's Mach Punch here means that you will be even more susceptible to banded Terrakion's assaults.
There really is no problem with replacing a special attacker with a physical attacker IMO, since it is better to try and overwhelm one side of the defensive spectrum. I stand by my opinion that Chansey walls Volcarona and Latios cold, while all your other pokes are walled by Skarmory. I'm not even saying that Skarmory-Chansey is a good core in this metagame, but in your case I don't see you breaking them. Additionally, as I have mentioned before, Donphan can't win against Gengar or Jellicent, the most common spin-blockers in the game, making it more likely that the opponent's SR is there to stay, consequently making Volcarona a liability.
That is my two cents anyway, so good luck in your team building.
As i mentioned above before i never had problems with any kind of terrakion nor with skarm/chancey cores. So there is no need to change anything based on that fact.

The only problem are sometimes sub/disable gengars and rain jirachis as i have discovered in the last series of test battles.
Volt-turn teams can also be considered as a little threat but in a lower group that the mentioned one above.

Hey emirinho,

I'd recommend a 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk EV spread for Donphan, since it's not worth investing Speed for a Pokemon whose speed sits at a meager Base 50. This team has rather a hard time dealing with Blissey, if Breloom were to go down. Your two other Pokemon qualified as "physical attacker" are Skarmory and Donphan, two of which play similar roles as Defensive walls. They don't pack enough offensive power, so Terrakion > Skarmory would help your team's cause. The SubSD set would do fine. Terrakion has great synergy with Latios, and can add more pressure on Sand and Sun teams. Without further ado, here's the set.

@

Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge

Substitute can be used to gain a free turn. On the subsequent turn, you can use SD to double your Attack Stat, or use Close Combat and Stone Edge to put a large dent on anything that does not resist it. The Rock Gem seems odd. However, at +2, STAB Stone Edge, aided by Rock Gem, will OHKO Gliscor (after it takes Stealth Rock damage). The EVs ease Terrakion's job. Justified is a cool ability that lets you come in on Tyranitar's Crunch.

Well, I will take another look at your team tomorrow, to see if I can add to my rate to furthermore help your team. It's pretty cool. Good luck!

~ Expert Physics
I really wouldn't like to take out my only real Defensive wall, because when i have a poor match-up skarmory is there to take the physical hit and roost off the damage.

In any case i will test terrakion. However i really think that i need Skarmory as my defensive wall.
Donphan is just my spinner and kind of my last resort pokemon against dragons like dragonite, salamence and others.

My team needs something to face dragons, volt-turns, sub/disable gengars and sometimes rain stall teams efficiently.

Anyways thanks for the rate

BUMP, anyone to suggest something.

In the last 24 hours i this team had a great success on PO. The only threats now remaining are Dragonites and rain stall teams(sometimes). Sometimes DD gyaradoses give me a problem as well.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
emirinho, when you post an RMT and reply to other people, you must really have proof why the following recomendations can be taken or not. Choice Band Terrakion is a definite threat to your team, since Skarmory is cleanly 2HKO´d by Close Combat. How would you be able to Roost off the damage if it is a 2HKO on the switch-in? Also your two resistances to Fighting attacks, Volcarona & Latios, do not have enough defense to take it since both are 2HKO´d by the same move, and with proper prediction, Stone Edge´d to death. No offense, but I seriously doubt you faced experienced players using Volt-Turn since you can only justify with your words (probably did not faced CB Terrakion on ladder). Also stall teams seem to stop this team coldly since you got no spin-blocker to keep your own hazards on the opponent; Toxic Spikes are more gruesome since Donphan is hampered by it.

Considering you love your Skarmory too much, I will suggest to use a Pain Split Gengar instead of Specs Latios.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

With Life Orb + Pain Split & Sub, Gengar trolls most stall teams capable of even defeating Chansey & Blissey, 1-vs-1. To add more, it is an spin-blocker allowing you to keep your hazards and it is still a fearsome special attacker. It does not improves your situation with CB Terrakion, but it gives you an inmunity to Close Combat, and you might be able to work him out with a combination of Gengar + Donphan.

My second recomendation is to change Donphan´s EVs to 252 HP / 252 Atk /4 Def. I dont really think outspeeding Jellicent & Scizor is necesary since Earthquake is not going to get through Jellicent´s Defense and although it 2HKOs Scizor, it leaves Donphan heavily weakened after eating a CB U-turn, complicating to pass a Wish. Neverless your EVs in Donphan are better justified than your stubborness to underestimate CB Terrakion.

Good luck and I hope my rate helps. Also try to be more open-minded when people points out the same problem, we are here to help. :).

gr8astard

emirinho, when you post an RMT and reply to other people, you must really have proof why the following recomendations can be taken or not. Choice Band Terrakion is a definite threat to your team, since Skarmory is cleanly 2HKO´d by Close Combat. How would you be able to Roost off the damage if it is a 2HKO on the switch-in? Also your two resistances to Fighting attacks, Volcarona & Latios, do not have enough defense to take it since both are 2HKO´d by the same move, and with proper prediction, Stone Edge´d to death. No offense, but I seriously doubt you faced experienced players using Volt-Turn since you can only justify with your words (probably did not faced CB Terrakion on ladder). Also stall teams seem to stop this team coldly since you got no spin-blocker to keep your own hazards on the opponent; Toxic Spikes are more gruesome since Donphan is hampered by it.

Considering you love your Skarmory too much, I will suggest to use a Pain Split Gengar instead of Specs Latios.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

With Life Orb + Pain Split & Sub, Gengar trolls most stall teams capable of even defeating Chansey & Blissey, 1-vs-1. To add more, it is an spin-blocker allowing you to keep your hazards and it is still a fearsome special attacker. It does not improves your situation with CB Terrakion, but it gives you an inmunity to Close Combat, and you might be able to work him out with a combination of Gengar + Donphan.

My second recomendation is to change Donphan´s EVs to 252 HP / 252 Atk /4 Def. I dont really think outspeeding Jellicent & Scizor is necesary since Earthquake is not going to get through Jellicent´s Defense and although it 2HKOs Scizor, it leaves Donphan heavily weakened after eating a CB U-turn, complicating to pass a Wish. Neverless your EVs in Donphan are better justified than your stubborness to underestimate CB Terrakion.

Good luck and I hope my rate helps. Also try to be more open-minded when people points out the same problem, we are here to help. :).
Motagua's points about CB Terrakion is exactly what I've been trying to say, albeit to no avail.
I really like your recommendation of Sub-split Gengar here, as not only does Gengar serve as the important spin blocker to such a hazard-oriented team, but like you said Gengar can defeat Chansey/Blissey, and severely weaken or outright KO Ttar/Heatran, giving Volcarona a better chance to sweep.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Thanks for the rate.

I see CB Terrakion often on po, but the point is when it kills my skarmory i have a free switch in. So i usually switch into latios and finish terrakion. I also have faced great Volt-turn teams ; i know i am battling a well ranked player by looking at the variations.
Anyways, we are going off topic. I will try that Gengar set.
You mentioned something:
Considering you love your Skarmory too much,
Well, i would change my skarmory for any better physical wall, but i just couldn't find any.
Also, i thought of changing Breloom into a scarfed Terrakion to deal with Gyaradoses and Dragonites that want to set up on me.

EDIT: Scarfed Terrakion didn't work. I placed a scarfed Electivire instead. So far he is showing a nice performance.
Still testing that gengar.

Hey, this looks like a really good team.
But for Chansey, I can see why you have Wish and Protect, for Toxic Stalling.
Though you could just use Softboiled and Aromatherapy because if Volcarona or Latios get Paralyzed then they are pretty much useless.
And Hidden Power Fire could be replaced for Trick if you wanna give stallers a Choice Specs.
Also, Donphan should have Stealth Rocks for Dragonite and more damage on opponents switches.
Other that that, great team!

Hey, this looks like a really good team.
But for Chansey, I can see why you have Wish and Protect, for Toxic Stalling.
Though you could just use Softboiled and Aromatherapy because if Volcarona or Latios get Paralyzed then they are pretty much useless.
And Hidden Power Fire could be replaced for Trick if you wanna give stallers a Choice Specs.
Also, Donphan should have Stealth Rocks for Dragonite and more damage on opponents switches.
Other that that, great team!
Thanks for the rate.

-I used to have blissey and i had aromatherapy on it, and it worked well. When i changed blissey to chancey i put wish and protect. Both sets work well. However, both sets have negative sides as well. I will test the aroma/boiled set and then I will change the chancey set if aroma/boiled set turns out to be successful
-I need HP fire for pursuit scizors. For ex; if i want to Draco meteor a Gastrodon and my opponent wants to switch into scizor i can predict that and use HP fire. It is also useful for Ferrothorns
-I already put SR on donphan.

Hello, you have a pretty nice team and I can see how it pull off wins.
A couple things that I think might help you out a little more is changing Breloom nature to adamant. You don't rely on Breloom on its speed but on its power and to do a lot of damage to your opponent teams. The only times you will bring Breloom in is against walls such as Ferrethorn and Blissey. You are still faster and the added power will be more beneficial.
Second, I think you should change your Donphan to a bulky Starmie for a rapid spinner. Seeing that you have Volcarona, you really need to spin away rocks/spikes before switching it in and Starmie will survive longer than Donphan imo.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SAtk / 224 Spd
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Scald allows you to get a small chance to burn Ferrethorns which completely walls Starmie and the burn damage will help to get rid of it faster. The speed evs allows you to outspeed Timid Tornadus by 1 speed. Good luck, btw I don't think you have to keep bumping this thread lol.

Hello, you have a pretty nice team and I can see how it pull off wins.
A couple things that I think might help you out a little more is changing Breloom nature to adamant. You don't rely on Breloom on its speed but on its power and to do a lot of damage to your opponent teams. The only times you will bring Breloom in is against walls such as Ferrethorn and Blissey. You are still faster and the added power will be more beneficial.
Second, I think you should change your Donphan to a bulky Starmie for a rapid spinner. Seeing that you have Volcarona, you really need to spin away rocks/spikes before switching it in and Starmie will survive longer than Donphan imo.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SAtk / 224 Spd
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Scald allows you to get a small chance to burn Ferrethorns which completely walls Starmie and the burn damage will help to get rid of it faster. The speed evs allows you to outspeed Timid Tornadus by 1 speed. Good luck, btw I don't think you have to keep bumping this thread lol.
Thanks for the rate.

I really need donphan for physical strikes like earthquake.His ability sturdy increases the chances of me spinning the hazards.
I will definitely try Adamant nature on breloom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)