umbarsc vs. Alphabet_Soup, a warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through the log and changed the names according to our Marriland (where I originally posted this) names when I originally wrote the warstory, and I don't feel like changing them back now that I'm posting it here. Just refer to this key:

Diamondplayer44 -> Alphabet_Soup
Blaziken_57 -> umbarsc

Yeah, we do both have shitty Marriland names...

Basically, I was bored, so I challenged Alphabet_Soup, whom I know from Marriland. I didn't have a whole lot of confidence in my team, seeing as how I only use it occasionally, whenever I go on Doug's server, which is basically when the Official Server is down and I'm really bored. I would have preferred to use my main team, but oh well.

Teams

umbarsc

Alphabet_Soup

Rules

Evasion Clause
Freeze Clause
OHKO Clause
Sleep Clause
Species Clause
Strict Damage Clause

Diamondplayer44 sent out Jirachi.
Blaziken_57 sent out Typhlosion.
SSAJ has entered the room.

Typhlosion is tightening its focus!
Diamondplayer44 switched in Blissey.
Typhlosion used Focus Punch. (68% Damage)
Blissey's leftovers restored HP.

I led off with my Scarf'd Typhlosion while he led off with Jirachi. He wasn't about to stay in for certain slaughter, so a switch was obvious. I assumed a switch to either Heatran or Blissey, so I Focus Punched off the bat. It turns out, my prediction was correct. He was either going to a, Seismic Toss, predicting another Focus Punch; b, Thunder Wave, predicting a switch; c, Softboiled, predicting a switch; or d, switch to something completely random predicting I'd predict a, b, or c. I choose option c.

Blaziken_57 switched in Medicham.
Blissey used Softboiled. (50% Recovery)

What do you know, I'm right. Medicham gets a free switch and prepares to unleash a 100 BP STAB attack coming off of 480 Atk + Choice Band. He is obviously going to switch to a Fighting resistance, but I try not to overpredict in these early rounds, but looking back, I probably should have used Psycho Cut. Oh well, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Diamondplayer44 switched in Weezing.
Medicham used Hi Jump Kick. (36% Damage)
Weezing's leftovers restored HP.

Stupid diamond, don't you know this isn't ADV anymore? =P Will-o-Wisp is the obvious choice, so I go back to Tyhplosion.

Blaziken_57 switched in Typhlosion.
Weezing used Will-o-wisp.
Weezing's attack missed!

Will-o-Wisp didn't miss; as you may know, fire-types are immune to the move. I try not to get predictable, so I Erupt instead of Focus Punch.

Typhlosion used Eruption. (28% Damage)

Hm, I thought he'd switch in a fighting resistance (or keep it in), predicting Focus Punch, but instead I barely scratch the lump of coffee cake that switches in with Eruption. Switching to Medicham would be a tad predictable, so I instead bring in 'Lax, who can take whatever Blissey throws at it all day.

Blaziken_57 switched in Snorlax.
Blissey used Seismic Toss. (19% Damage)
Snorlax's leftovers restored HP.

As predicted, Seismic Toss did jack damage to my Poppin' Fresh wannabe. Now, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Weezing is going to make his second round to Wisp me, so I muster a Body Slam for all it's worth.

Snorlax used Body Slam. (23% Damage)

That did less than a resisted High Jump Kick. He's obviously going to to use Will-o-Wisp at this point. I could switch back to Typhlosion, but then he could predict that and bring in Blissey. I keep in 'Lax to absorb it, as he can Rest it away later.

Snorlax was burned!
Snorlax used Body Slam. (24% Damage)
A critical hit!
Snorlax was hurt by its burn!

That crit was nice, but in the long run, meaningless. I think Weezing is going to switch, but I'm not sure what to, so I Earthquake to scratch any Steels that may think of switching in on Body Slam.

Diamondplayer44 switched in Jirachi.
Snorlax used Earthquake. (19% Damage)
Jirachi's leftovers restored HP

Ah, Jirachi. Most likely Obi's own leading Jirachi, with Wish/U-Turn/Body Slam/Zen Headbutt. I see this as an opportunity to Rest up, then bring in Medicham against the Weezing coming in to take the Wish.

Jirachi used Wish.
Jirachi made a wish!
Snorlax used Rest. (20% Recovery)
Snorlax fell asleep!
Jirachi's leftovers restored HP.
---
The wish came true! (50% Recovery)

As predicted. Now I face a dilemma; should I Psycho Cut or High Jump Kick? If I Psycho Cut, he could switch in Jirachi, who will take jack damage from the 4x resisted attack. If I High Jump Kick, he could simply stay in and Will-o-Wisp me. A Burned Medicham is a worthless Medicham, and all of his Pokemon are fairly healthy so Wish would be useless, so I decide that Psycho Cut is the less risky option.

Medicham used Psycho Cut. (14% Damage)

Now he'll probably U-Turn, Body Slam, or Reflect, so I sent in my trusty Zapdos that could take all three reasonably well.

Blaziken_57 switched in Zapdos.
Zapdos is exerting its pressure!
Jirachi used U-turn. (7% Damage)
Diamondplayer44 switched in Starmie.
Zapdos's leftovers restored HP

Starmie? I don't know what he's trying to pull, and I would win one-on-one as I have Roost and a lot of HP/SpD, but whenever your opponent does something seemingly stupid and you know he/she isn't, they know something you don't. So I went with a safer route by sending in Snorlax.

Diamondplayer44 switched in Electivire.

A double-switch leaves him advantageous. Ah, that was a clever plan; unfortunately for alphabet, though, I am not a simpleton. =P Cross Chop is obvious, so my plan is to switch to Salamence to Intimidate it, then switch to Typhlosion. It's a win-win situation; if he's Jolly, Ice Punch will do little damage to Typhlosion; if he's not, Typhlosion gets a free double-switch, and outspeeds anything he would send out. However, the problem with option 2 is that he might switch in Blissey, correctly thinking it's a Specsmence.

Blaziken_57 switched in Salamence.
Salamence's intimidate cut Electivire's attack!
Electivire used Cross Chop. (21% Damage)
Electivire lost 10% of its health.
---
Blaziken_57 switched in Typhlosion.

I don't know if alphabet switched in Blissey because he predicted Typhlosion or if he predicted Specsmence, but either way I'm in an unfavourable match-up. Right now my options are to switch to Snorlax or to switch to Medicham. Looking back, sending in Snorlax would have been wiser, to take Softboiled/Thunder Wave, but I felt the need to start unleashing some real power, so I went with Medicham.

Blissey used Seismic Toss. (38% Damage)

Well, I guess that's not too bad. At least he didn't come in on a Thunder Wave. Again the choice is between Psycho Cut and High Jump Kick. I chose Psycho Cut because a Jirachi switch-in could provide some much-needed set-up fodder for my deadly Syclant.

Diamondplayer44 switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Medicham used Psycho Cut. (13% Damage)

TO THE ANT-MOBILE!!!

Blaziken_57 switched in Syclant.
Jirachi used Body Slam. (32% Damage)

Body Slam is a 3HKO with Life Orb, so I need to be cautious. Body Slam has a nice paralysis rate, so I assume he will continue on with the move.

Syclant used Tail Glow. (+2 SpA)
Jirachi used Body Slam. (35% Damage)

...Tail Glow'd Bug Buzz is a OHKO, right? After that, his Blissey may be in Focus Blast range, and I could be looking at a clean sweep.

Syclant used Bug Buzz. (84% Damage)
Syclant lost 10% of its health.
Jirachi used Body Slam. (23% Damage)
Blaziken_57's Syclant fainted.

The verdict: nope. I guess I wasn't entirely truthful when I said I wasn't a simpleton.

Blaziken_57 switched in Medicham (lvl 100 Medicham ?).

I bring in my Medicham, who can now freely Psycho Cut, since Jirachi is now in KO range. Nothing will stop me from killing now...

Diamondplayer44 switched in Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie).
Medicham used Psycho Cut.
It's not very effective...
Starmie lost 49% of its health.

Barring, of course, a switch to Starmie, who is also resistant. I decide to switch in Zapdos; with Snorlax's Thick Fat, he wouldn't bother using Ice Beam, right?

Blaziken_57 switched in Zapdos.
Starmie used Ice Beam. (85% Damage)
Zapdos's leftovers restored HP, to no effect.

Such a large amount of damage would imply a pair of Choice Specs, as my Zapdos has a lot of EVs invested in HP and SpD. I decide to bite the bullet and let go of my Zapdos.

Starmie used Ice Beam. (21% Damage)
Blaziken_57's Zapdos fainted.

It's a shame Zapdos did nothing but bait Electivire and die to a couple of Ice Beams from Starmie, but oh well, life goes on.

Specs or no Specs, Ice Beam was jack damage thanks to the gluttonous man's beer belly.

Snorlax is fast asleep!
Snorlax used Sleep Talk.
Snorlax used Rest.
But it failed!
Weezing's leftovers restored its health a little!
Weezing restored 3% of its health.

Now that I'm asleep, Weezing can't do anything to Snorlax's massive HP and SpD. I decide to ride out my sleep, then try and switch in Medicham on something not sharing the initials of World of Warcraft.

Weezing used Thunderbolt.
Snorlax lost 9% of its health.
Snorlax is fast asleep!
Snorlax used Sleep Talk.
Snorlax used Rest.
But it failed!
Snorlax's leftovers restored its health a little!
Snorlax restored 6% of its health.
---
Weezing used Thunderbolt.
Snorlax lost 8% of its health.
Snorlax woke up!
Snorlax used Body Slam.
Weezing lost 25% of its health.
Weezing is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Snorlax restored 6% of its health.
Weezing restored 6% of its health.
---
Snorlax used Body Slam.
Weezing lost 22% of its health.
Weezing's attack missed!
Snorlax restored 5% of its health.
Weezing restored 6% of its health.

---
Snorlax used Body Slam. (25% Damage)
Snorlax was burned!
Weezing's leftovers restored HP

For some arbitrary reason, I decide that this would be a good time to bring in Medicham.

Well what do you know, this prediction I pulled out of my ass actually worked. Now that everything I've seen is in Psycho Cut's KO range, I decide to start slicing things.

Medicham used Psycho Cut. (12% Damage)

Shit, this WAS in Psycho Cut's KO range, but got a turn of Leftovers. This didn't bother me, as I assumed I outsped it anyways.

Jirachi used U-turn. (29% Damage)
Diamondplayer44 switched in Starmie.
Medicham used Psycho Cut. (51% Damage)
Diamondplayer44's Starmie fainted.

Oh well, I still got a kill, but U-Turn actually took quite a chunk out of Medicham's health. Plus Starmie was walled to hell and back, while Jirachi could actually prove to be annoying later on.

Alphabet_Soup switched in Electivire.

Now, in my imaginary world, the following events happened like this: I switch to Salamence to take a Thunderpunch, he switched so Blissey while I Draco Meteor, I switch in Medicham while she Softboileds, and the rest of the events neatly unfold in a way that allows me to win the battle. Instead, though

Electivire used Thunderpunch. (33% Damage)
Blaziken_57's Medicham fainted.
Electivire lost 10% of its health

Why_did_I_do_that? Now my entire team is walled by Blissey. I always lose my head in important moments; Pat22331 can attest to that. (from the Stay Alive! tournament)

Salamence's intimidate cut Electivire's attack!

I decide that a revenge-kill from Salamence is the best option.

Salamence used Draco Meteor. (9% Damage)
Alphabet_Soup's Jirachi fainted.
Salamence's special attack was harshly lowered. (-2 SpA)

That was a well-played sacrifice on alphabet's part; he now knows it's special-oriented, and since he didn't see Life Orb he knows it isn't mixed. Ugh.

Blissey used Aromatherapy.
Snorlax's leftovers restored HP

I hope to catch Electivire on the switch with Earthquake, but instead,

Alphabet_Soup switched in Weezing.
Weezing makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Snorlax used Earthquake.

Y'know, I actually could stall out his team with Snorlax, from what I've seen. Electivire could be dealth with via Earthquake, while hopefully surviving the Cross Chop and Resting off the damage later. Things aren't looking so hopeless after all.

Unfortunately, diamond has other plans...

Weezing used Explosion. (47% Damage)
Blaziken_57's Snorlax fainted.
Diamondplayer44's Weezing fainted.

Damn, I didn't realize people put Explosion on Weezing. I know that when I use it, I'm hard-pressed to find room for Pain Split, Sludge Bomb, Will-o-Wisp, Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, and Haze as it is.

Salamence's intimidate cut Blissey's attack!

Two special attackers vs. Blissey? GG alphabet. I won't bother adding much commentary since now it's over. You can just skip through the rest of it.

Salamence used Draco Meteor.
Salamence's attack missed!
Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Salamence lost 30% of its health.
---
Salamence's attack missed!
Blissey used Softboiled.
---
Blissey lost 38% of its health.
Salamence's special attack was harshly lowered.
Salamence lost 30% of its health.
Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.
---
Blissey lost 19% of its health.
Blissey used Softboiled.
Blissey restored 50% of its health.
Blissey restored 2% of its health.
---
Blissey lost 15% of its health.
Salamence lost 19% of its health.
Blaziken_57's Salamence fainted.
---
Blaziken_57 switched in Typhlosion (lvl 100 Typhlosion ?).
Typhlosion used Eruption.
Blissey lost 27% of its health.
Typhlosion lost 34% of its health.
---
Blissey lost 20% of its health.
Typhlosion lost 34% of its health.
---
Blissey lost 14% of its health.
Typhlosion lost 33% of its health.
Blaziken_57's Typhlosion fainted.
Alphabet_Soup wins!

3 - 0, Diamondplayer44 wins.

Though the end number wasn't very close, it felt like a pretty intense battle throughout.

Syclant's impact

I would assume that the point of these warstories is to analyze Syclant's effect on the battle, so I will say my personal opinion. Personally, I think this kind of showed how Syclant has a hard time switching in. It really could have been any frail sweeper in Syclant's place and it wouldn't have made a difference. I'm actually surprised at Jirachi's bulkiness, taking the Buz Buzz like that. Although I did play him poorly, he was very Nasty Plot Ant weak and I should have been more careful and taken advantage of that.

Indirectly, though, you can tell how my team has been altered. Snorlax is used in place of Blissey for the ability to take Ice Beams; Medicham is being used in hopes of seeing less Cresselia; Typhlosion is used as a lead to absolutely fry all of the Fire weaknesses that come out of using Syclant, and ultimately, Hail teams.

Discuss.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
nice battle, I find that switching 'ant into any attack runes its sweeping ability, bringing it in as a revenge killer works better for me. What set do you run? is it the Ice beam/Bug buzz/Focus blast/Tail glow with mountineer one?

also to change the names (if you want to) copy it into a text (.txt) file and click find and replace, it will change them all for you in a few seconds.

Excellent warstory, and very well played from both of you.

About Syclant, at first I never switched it into anything, and only used it after a kill: Bad. But what's also bad is bringing it into neutral attacks, as long as there are reasonably powerful. And, in your case, Jirachi could have used U-Turn instead of Body Slam, and that would have nearly destroyed your ant, not even allowing you to do 84% damage to Jirachi. Now, when I bring Syclant in, it's against Ice Beams, or non-stabbed Earthquakes, or random grass attacks (grass knot i specially nice, since Syclant is not very heavy). That way, I can get into an offensive position without sacrificing much HP that will be consumed by my Life Orb.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
the bringing it in on non-stab resisted attacks thing works better for the type of ant you use (LO) but i run the Fsash varient and any weak attack robs me of a chance to set up so i use it purely as a revenge killer.

I run a pure attacking Ant now (CEye, FB/BB/Blizzard/Air Slash @ LO), and i find it's better the minute i weaken their whole team, and destroy them. Air Slash's flinch rate works in a very tight pinch, if i need that slight extra damage to Ko. It's faster then infernape (was it?), granting the ability to clean up a lot better.

Treat it as a more fragile, but stronger in terms of Special Attacking, Infernape i guess.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Very good warstory. Nice formatting on the logs and commentary. It was easy to follow the action. You did a great job of commenting on your thinking and strategy during the battle. That is the most important element of a good warstory. You also mixed in the right amount of humor, without going overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)