(Un)Official Smogon University PO Stats -- August 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at my boy Haxourus rising the fuck up there showing OU who is the most badass thing known to Pokemon. And Celebi? FUCK YES

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
(...) and pokemon such as Gastrodon, who, let's face it, is nothing special besides a check to Thunderus
As for Rotom-W, not surprised seeing him jump up. Especially if Thunderus gets banned. I'm under the impression he's outright broken under Rain, Double STAB Hydro Pumps from a high Sp.Atk, backed up by STAB Electric attacks, bulk, and a great support movepool too. Not to mention perfect synergy with Scizor... both x4 resisting the other's sole weakness under rain.

Gastrodon is nothing special besides a check to Thunderus
As for Rotom-W, not surprised seeing him jump up. Especially if Thunderus gets banned. I'm under the impression he's outright broken under Rain

Gastrodon is nothing special
Rotom-W's outright broken under Rain

Gastrodon

45--Ridiculously hard hitter, immune to sand, and what not. We need something physical to put the hurt on Chansey. ;)

46--It came too late. Would've been beastly in the Drought era. ;_;

47--Cool, another Fighting-type. Hi Machoke, hi Gurdurr, you guys just got ditched.

48--no comment

49--We do need more options down here, Chandelure is perfect

50--FUCK YES FUCKING YES NO MORE SHITPOPOTAS

51--Rain Dance in UU might become beastlier...

seriously, did Gen 4 OU just get reincarnated into UU? There's goodstuff like Kingdra and Jolteon down here :O

I love how if this goes through Kyurem might not be completely broken in UU because of the introduction of Metagross. I honestly can't wait to fuck shit up with Darmanitan...Stall is gonna get its shit wrecked with these two in UU :)

Bronzong should be higher; it really does wall the hell out of most Sand teams.
But... New World Order, Virizion is pretty good. You're right in that it can't beat other CMers, and doesn't like taking SE physical attacks, but it's a pretty great late game sweeper. After one Calm Mind it packs a surprising punch, and its survivability is just insane due to the Special Defense boost and the amount that Giga Drain can recover.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I cannot stress enough that these are the stats for JUST August. Tier placement changes include the usage stats for the past three months, which is going to be May June and August (July doesn't count...).

So, to the people saying Metagross and friends are going to drop to UU, they probably won't after this round. If the current trend continues for the next three months though, then we can definitely expect them to drop to UU during the next tier placement change.

3 Months? Damn I was ready to wreck shit with sand in UU.

Metagross? Yes please.

A sand starter that isn't either Taunt bait or fodder? Please and thank you.

I was in need of a change on my team and well this was it.

Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE sand in UU. Topped at 200 on the Beta Server. Smogon was inactive for a while so yeah.

Haxorus rising better be not due to the CB set, because it is straight outclassed by CBNite. For a small drop in power (irrelevant) and speed, you get a shitload of bulk, even without Multiscale, an arguably better typing, a way to get past his counters (Fire Punch), and priority as powerful as Scizors (Extremespeed). It's basicly almost as good at what Haxorus does, but also doubles as revenge killer/cleaner, tank and check to a shitload of thing.

It's like you pick CBEscavelier over CBScizor. Yes, you are more powerful, but you can't get past steel types and you offer almost no utility, whereas Scizor has priority, U-Turn and Pursuit.

Really, the only Haxorus sets that are not straight outclassed by Dragonite or Salamence are the SD and SD+DD sets, which I never see.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Roserade growing 29 places, Tangrowth growing 13 places, Celebi growing 19 places, and Abomasnow growing 12 places, all go hand in hand with Rotom-W's shift up 6 places to the #2 most used pokemon.

Even though these are unifficial, stats are stas, and are interesting nonetheless.

First off:

Code:
2    Rotom-W    84284    17.78459%
I knew it would rise, but #2... holy crap.

Other things:
Ferrothron is #5.... a little low considering how much I've seen it, but okay.
Metagross is in UU range... /wehaveanewborderline
Mamo went up... YAY!
Terrakion went down. That's interesting because I thought it would rise if anything.
Snorlax is #72... KEEP ON CLIMBING!
Haxorus rose again.... It deserves it.

Without further ado..

Code:
1	Tyranitar	95686	20.1905%
2	Rotom-W	84284	17.78459%
3	Scizor	81761	17.25221%
4	Gliscor	81449	17.18638%
5	Ferrothorn	80902	17.07096%
6	Politoed	75124	15.85175%
7	Dragonite	71521	15.09149%
8	Heatran	64319	13.57181%
9	Jirachi	60943	12.85945%
10	Latios	58072	12.25365%
11	Skarmory	51586	10.88505%
12	Excadrill	49093	10.35901%
13	Thundurus	42488	8.9653%
14	Reuniclus	36344	7.66887%
15	Haxorus	35503	7.49141%
16	Jellicent	34192	7.21478%
17	Conkeldurr	34130	7.2017%
18	Gengar	34040	7.18271%
19	Celebi	33407	7.04914%
20	Infernape	32714	6.90291%
21	Starmie	32701	6.90017%
22	Ninetales	32008	6.75394%
23	Forretress	31519	6.65076%
24	Gyarados	31012	6.54378%
25	Deoxys-S	30247	6.38235%
26	Magnezone	29488	6.2222%
27	Landorus	28417	5.99621%
28	Volcarona	28245	5.95992%
29	Terrakion	27355	5.77212%
30	Blissey	26982	5.69341%
31	Salamence	26015	5.48937%
32	Latias	25748	5.43303%
33	Gastrodon	24750	5.22244%
34	Espeon	24039	5.07242%
35	Tentacruel	23934	5.05026%
36	Toxicroak	22186	4.68142%
37	Vaporeon	22044	4.65146%
38	Bronzong	21951	4.63183%
39	Hydreigon	21562	4.54975%
40	Breloom	21085	4.4491%
41	Scrafty	20959	4.42251%
42	Mamoswine	17639	3.72197%
43	Lucario	17498	3.69222%
44	Virizion	16658	3.51497%

Will edit momentarily after I look at other stats.

It's like you pick CBEscavelier over CBScizor. Yes, you are more powerful, but you can't get past steel types and you offer almost no utility, whereas Scizor has priority, U-Turn and Pursuit.
To be fair, Escavalier is a complete full stop to Latios since it has much better special defense than Scizor and a more powerful Pursuit as it switches out. It swaps the utility of U-Turn for the sheer power of Megahorn. If it learned Superpower, I'd probably use Escavalier over Scizor or Tyranitar on my Latias team.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@ Virizion supporters

But noone nowadays is stupid enough to hit Virizion with a non SE/ extremely powerful Special move. You capitalize on the fact that it never invests in defenses, and those who do can't do anything offensively whatsoever. I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that the SD version is any good, so I guess I just need to argue against CM's effectiveness. Work Up probably works a little better. But it also means that Virizion gets destroyed by very strong SE special attacks now too. As well, I completely disagree that it has an easy time setting up. Lets do a full recap of the OU range pokemon.

oh and GTM, I put the stuff in spoilers because I didn't want a 50 page post.

Tyranitar: he's x4 weak to fighting, so Virizion gets in for free (although it would rather not take a fire blast)
Rotom-W: Volt Switch/ Trick on the switch-in. Good luck setting up.
Scizor: Lol, Virizion fails to 2HKO SpD Scizor with Failblast, not to mention, even if you set up a CM before Scizor came in you're probably gonna miss one of them anyways. While Scizor can set up as well and pummel Virizion. CB absolutely murders Virizion unless the opponent does something retarded like use Pursuit.
Gliscor: The Toxic+Subsitute+Protect version laughs at Virizion all day long, but I guess it pretty much laughs at every pokemon not immune to toxic, so I guess its more of Gliscor being a complete beast that Virizion sucking.
Ferrothorn: Get T-Waved on the switchin and Viri is completely useless, not that it makes much of a difference since Viri is completely useless anyways.
Politoed: You wont enjoy taking Specs Ice Beams at all, not a safe switchin.
Dragonite: After a DD, Viri is fucked. Any version carrying Hurricane will survive HP Ice, even without Multi Scale because Virizion's power is pathetic.
Heatran: Do I even need to explain
Jirachi: Virizion wishes it could 2HKO it. Even after a CM boost, it utterly fails while Jirachi proceeds to parahax it to death.
Latios: Latios's superior special stats and speed means it will always win a CM war. Virizion isn't gonna enjoy taking Psyshock from LO and Specs, at all.
Skarmory: Virizion is OHKOd by Skarmory. ****ing Skarmory. Let that sink in.
Excadrill: Its funny how many people actually think Virizion can check Excadrill. Gl taking return, even if they're Jolly Air Balloon X-Scissors, you still have no opportunity to set up at all and Failblast still has a 3/10 chance of missing.
Thundurus: Taunt, and continue setting up your NPs
Reuniclus: This is a bloody massacre, every version of Reuniclus rapes Virizion. hard.
Gengar: This is not a free setup at all. SubSplit can wear Virizion down pretty quickly.
Celebi: Depends on set. If its a NP Celebi, Viri is fucked. If its Tink, Viri can win, but will get paralyzed along the way.
Infernape: Once again, I'm not even going to bother explaining this.
Starmie: Gl taking LO Ice Beams.
Ninetails: Any Virizion switching into Ninetails is asking for a death wish.
Forretress: Forretress is probably the most used pokemon in the game thats setup fodder for like everything. However, Forry's value comes not from its combat, but its hazards support. Not to mention it could just Volt Switch out to like Volcorona or something.
Gyarados: After a DD Gyara is faster and Virizion should be cowering in fear of Bounce. Resttalk can just phase it out.
Deoxys-S: Deoxys-S is much like Forry, more valuable for its support. Although the rare Psycho Boost could put a hurt on Virizion.
Magnezone: Maggie is like set up bait for everyone. But if it gets enough Charge Beam boosts, it can still get a good hit in with HP Fire/Ice
Landorus: Just U-Turn out. If its SD then oh well, switch into one of the many things that rape Virizion.
Volcorona: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Terrakion: Terrakion makes Virizion want to cry. Virizion wishes it had Terrakions stats/ typing, instead of being stuck with its 90 offenses and grass secondary typing. The outcome between these two is dependent on a speed tie basically. Although Terrakion has the benefit of being able to run Choice Scarf/ Rock Polish without sucking. Something Virizion cannot boast.
Blissey: Not a free switchin at all. Toxic will really put a hurt on it. And don't give me that Virizion can 2HKO Blissey with +1 CM Focus Blast crap. You have less than a 50/50 chance of actually hitting twice in a row.
Salamence: Gl switching in. But that can be said about every pokemon in the game. So I guess it really isn't Virizion's fault. Salamence should not be 31, 25 at the very least.
Latias: Latias will win the CM war barring a crit.
Gastrodon: Not a safe switchin, Toxic and switch to someone like Scizor to laugh at the pathetic 90 Base SpA Giga Drain.
Espeon: barring like 50 crits in a row, Espeon will win the CM war. Dual Screens will usually win with Psychic as well.
Tentacruel: Giga Drain isn't helping Virizion at all, its speeding up its death sentence due to Liquid Ooze. Meanwhile, Tentacruel has spun, laid 2 layers of toxic spikes, and burned virizion with a scald while Virizion is still trying to get things together. Mission: accomplished
Toxicroak: Toxicroak uses Virizion for setup bait.
Vaporeon: Vaporeon is just gonna toxic and run for the hills
Bronzong: I guess this is an alright switchin. Although Gyro Ball can still do a number on the way out.
Hydreigon: Not a safe switchin. But then again noone is, so its really more of a testament of Hydreigon's beastiness as opposed to Virizion's incompetence. Although by now it should be pretty obvious Virizion is incompetent.
Breloom: Spore is fantastic. Virizion also gets rocked hard by Focus Punch.
Scrafty: After a DD, Scrafty outspeeds and pummels. But then again this is just another case where a pokemon is too beast in itself. Between DD and BU, Scrafty is a boss that pretty much no pokemon can stand up to. OU needs MOAR SCRAFTY.
Mamoswine: Icicle Crash will absolutely murder Virizion. Mamoswine can clean up Virizion with Ice shard as well if necessary.
Lucario: Extremepeed is win, how is Lucario so low?
Metagross: CB Meteor Mash is going to absolutely pummel Virizion.
Venusaur: Sludge Bomb is gonna mess Virizion up.
Meinshao: Virizion will not enjoy a HJK/ U-Turn on the switchin.
Swampert: A free set up for Virizion. But then again, Swampert should never have been OU in the first place. So this bears no indication of how good Virizion is, but rather how much Swampert blows. Virizion is to Electivire as Swampert is to Dusknoir, in other words, both are used WAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too much.
Chandlure: A bloody massacre is what this is.
Hippowdon: The first pokemon thats actually any good that Virizion can safely switch in and set up on... yay... *crickets chirping*
Tornadus: Please avert your eyes from a scene of complete rape.
Donphan: see Hippowdon
Zapdos: Walled all day. Viri Viri go away, come again another day. On second thought, you wont be coming back since you're gonna die to either Subtoxic or Heat-Wave. Don't even try a CM war.
Darmanitan: this. is. brutal.
Mew: Virizion wont be setting up, but every other pokemon in the game will. Mew can come in and baton pass whatever the hell it wants.
Cloyster: Another example of complete destruction.
Quagsire: Not a safe switchin, due to the high number of Quagsires that carry Toxic.

So with that I've analyzed all 56 pokemon besides Virizion above the 2.5% usage stat barrier and here are the results.

Virizion gets a safe switchin and setup on 3 pokemon (5 if you count Forretress/ Bronzong) one of which is Swampert, who shouldn't be anywhere near 2.5% usage.

21 completely maul Virizion.

Everyone else has at least something to hurt Virizion on the switchin.

Conclusion: Virizion blows (god that post took a long time)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
People really need to stop referring to #1-44 as the "New OU." This list is not indicative of "New OU." As it has been stated multiple times, "New OU" will take into account stats from May and June as well.

All you are managing to do is create further confusion.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Haxorus rising better be not due to the CB set, because it is straight outclassed by CBNite. For a small drop in power (irrelevant) and speed, you get a shitload of bulk, even without Multiscale, an arguably better typing, a way to get past his counters (Fire Punch), and priority as powerful as Scizors (Extremespeed). It's basicly almost as good at what Haxorus does, but also doubles as revenge killer/cleaner, tank and check to a shitload of thing.

Really, the only Haxorus sets that are not straight outclassed by Dragonite or Salamence are the SD and SD+DD sets, which I never see.
Well, Haxorus gets Dual Chop and Mold Breaker, two qualities Dragonite and Salamence cannot boast. Furthermore, Haxorus' CB Outrage can 2HKO the likes of Heatran and Jirachi, Dragonite and Salamence cannot boast that. As well, I find the DD Lum version to work pretty good as well. Yes its in an awkward speed tier, but Haxorus has truly developed in the B/W metagame and is well deserving of its huge spike in usage. No more are people using that overhyped DD Life Orb crap, but it is a very versatile offensive pokemon, capable of running excellent CB, SD, DD Lum, Scarf, and Double Dance sets.

hey man, you're doing it wrong
You're actually saying that people will switch in against shit like Heatran and friends? Well, ok then.

So, let's do it the other way: Heatran switches into Virizion, Virizion uses CM survives a Scarf Fire Blast, KO with Focus Blast. Ferrothorn switches in trying to die... mission accomplished. Blissey tries to Toxic, gets defeated. Blah blah blah stop hammer time

Wow Mienfoo really did climb. And my buddy Gastly really jumped. From #21 in June to #2 in August. My other close friend Stunky fell from #9 to #34....... poor guy.

New World Order

Licks Toads
hey man, you're doing it wrong
You're actually saying that people will switch in against shit like Heatran and friends? Well, ok then.

So, let's do it the other way: Heatran switches into Virizion, Virizion uses CM survives a Scarf Fire Blast, KO with Focus Blast. Ferrothorn switches in trying to die... mission accomplished. Blissey tries to Toxic, gets defeated. Blah blah blah stop hammer time
But the thing is, people are arguing that Virizion has an easy time switchin in and setting up, which I've shown in that post is untrue. Yes, you would never ever switch a Virizion into a Heatran, that proves my point, Virizion does not have an easy time setting up at all. As well, I'm completely aware that a good chunk of those pokemon don't have safe switchins into Virizion as well. But the number of pokemon that can come in on Virizion far outnumbers the number of pokemon Virizion can come in on safely, making it a bad pokemon for this metagame.

Oh yes, and for the last time, people need to recognize that calculated 2HKOs from Focus Blast are not actually 2HKOs since you only have a 49% chance of actually hitting twice in a row.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello UU. Anyways thank you for this Antar! Some noteables for me...

1. Sun favorites seem to be on the rise :)

20. Infernape +6
22. Ninetails +5
28. Volcanora -3 :(
46. Venusaur +5
52. Donphan +12
58. Dugtrio +20

2. I was sure my Slowbro spamming would pay off.

59. Slowbro +0 .______.

3. The only guys I see staying UU are Swampert (>:D) and Machamp (;_;). UU's walls just aren't tough enough to handle everything else.

Plus there is nothing stopping Chandelure running CM in UU as I said, whats Pory2 gonna do to a CM Chandy when its main attacks are Boltbeam? ... Looking through the UU top 15 Milotic is the only thing there that doesn't get mutilated by a simple Sub/CM Chandy with only double STAB as it is and that is only one potential.
The point is, P2 hard counters 2 attack Chandy because of Trace.

People really need to stop referring to #1-44 as the "New OU." This list is not indicative of "New OU." As it has been stated multiple times, "New OU" will take into account stats from May and June as well.

All you are managing to do is create further confusion.
Throw in the fact that these stats only include pokemon that were sent out in battle, and the picture gets even more grainy, as there are sure to be quite a few extra useages here and there, and weather starters are obviously going to be exaggerated by a system like that, while more situational pokemon will be shafted, because they may not have been needed to win.

Not to mention, the only side which has to send out all 6 pokemon in a game is the loser. So these stats are also not fully indicative of what's good. In some tight places, the real stats could cause some mons to move up, and others to move down a place or two.

To be honest, the only thing we can say has fallen to UU is Whimsicott, because it's that painfully obvious.

Also: @ Mario with Lasers:

OK, Gastrodon walls Rotom-W. What can it do back? Nothing. Gastrodon's attacking stats are rather poor, and Rotom-W resists, or is immune to, Gastrodon's STAB moves as well. In fact, it's Pain Split fodder for some sets. The only reason Gastrodon handles Rotom-W *better* than Quagsire is because the latter runs Unaware nowadays. And that's hardly a vote of confidence for Gastrodon if it's only being used because Quagsire has better things to be doing.

Hell, you could feign Unaware with Quagsire, and carry Water Absorb.

Besides Rotom-W, Vaporeon checks rain a million times better than Gastrodon. Ferrothorn too, and he can handle the support mons as well, and also beats Rotom-W rather easily anyway.

I fail to see why you should use Gastrodon, when there are, in my opinion, better options. Unless you literally want a catch-all for Rain. But even then, you could run Ferrothron, and benifit from a load more resistances, as well as things like Spikes, SR, Leech Seed and Thunder Wave, while carrying other teammates that can check what Ferrothorn dosen't.

And even as a catch-all for rain, what does Gastrodon do when Rain's support mons, such as Latios, come out?

While I'm glad that you've looked at the Virizion situation more clearly, and most of your points are valid, many of them assume that Virizion is switching into the defending pokémon in question. Since Virizion outspeeds most of them, by coming into these opponents on the revenge it often risks little and has a significantly better chance of setting up a sweep. This is what most sweepers do, in essence. For example, you wouldn't switch Infernape into Ferrothorn even though you take little from its attacks because Thunder Wave and Leech Seed let the opponent steal momentum with a well-judged switch the following turn. However, if Infernape gets in for free against Ferrothorn, it's forced to play mind games and will either be OHKO'd if the Ferrothorn user assumes you'll set up, or Infernape will get a free boost if he switches in fear.

Admittedly, it would be a problem if Virizion could not find opportunities to set up. But if Virizion can come in for free against many pokemon like Rotom-W, they can't do a thing against it (whilst previously they could with either Volt Switch or Trick), forcing them out and letting Virizion get the boost it needs to deal with pokemon on the opponent's team that could otherwise have checked it.

Furthermore, some of your arguments are based solely on Virizion coming into contact with the sets that have a chance at checking it. Non-Thunder Wave Ferrothorn, Will o Wisp Rotom-W, and Specially Defensive Tyranitar can't do much at all to stop Virizion from setting up and sweeping, neither can the standard Gliscor, Gyarados without Bounce... and many other arguments rely on your opponent predicting perfectly. That's the fault of the player being obvious, not Virizion being vulnerable. If the opponent mispredicts, Virizion can have a field day.

But whatever. I've found from experience that many of the scenarios you've mentioned simply don't occur in the majority of games, if Virizion is played correctly, as a sweeper and not something that you switch into incoming attacks or status moves.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Posting this on the new page

I cannot stress enough that these are the stats for JUST August. Tier placement changes include the usage stats for the past three months, which is going to be May, June, and August (July doesn't count...).

So, to the people saying Metagross and friends are going to drop to UU, they probably won't after this round. If the current trend continues for the next three months though, then we can definitely expect them to drop to UU during the next tier placement change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)