Underrated Little Cup Pokemon

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A lot of the mons being mentioned are Gen IV staples. There's a reason they aren't being used: they're too weak for Gen V. Try hitting something like Evo Stone Pururiru or Tess with LO Kabuto. Not gonna work. (I do like Koffing, though.) There is something I like... (stolen from EM)

Swablu @ Evo Stone
max hp/max sdef
Impish
Cloud Nine

-Cotton Guard
-Toxic
-Pluck
-Roost

With Cotton Guard +3ing your Defense, and Evo Stone, EVs, and nature boosting Special Defense, you're almost untouchable. It does run into some trouble with Aron, but no one uses it anymore. Also a great weather stopper (especially sun) due to Cloud Nine. (Even Komatana is beaten: it can't do anything to you while you kill it with Pluck.)

For those of you saying Wynaut isn't underused, it's #89 used on the stats and seen in 1.15% of all battles on PO. How is that not underused? Elekid is 6.27% which is still less than it should be, but not that bad. But really, even Magikarp is used more than Elekid (7.50%).
I thought this thread was for underrated threats, not underused.

Anyways, Agility Gligar. Never really see it on the ladder, but when I used it with Zuruggu, it tore shit up easily.

I run max HP on Swablu and normally the rest in SpDef I think?

But yeah Swablu is kind of cool! It usually beats Zuruggu and co. 1 on 1 which is awesome.

Waitaminnit

Mantyke is underrated now?

wat

Anyway, can Swablu really hurt pokemon back? With Cloud Nine, it can't use Heat Wave, which means it's walled by Steels without Hidden Power.

It doesn't look like it'd beat Zuruggu?

Pluck allows it to do damage to other stuff. Toxic lets it stall out basically anything that doesn't have Toxic itself or has a Steel-typing. It's walled by Tesshiido obviously, but you have 5 other team members......

Has anyone tried an all-out offensive Natu? It's pretty powerful...

Natu @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
196Atk/116Sp.A/196Spe (0 HP)
Moves:
Drill Peck
Sucker Punch
Psychic
U-Turn

This thing hits hard where it needs to. It is a pretty good check to most fightings (Can take a Fake Out + Bullet Punch from Meditite and KO Back w/ Drill Peck). Sucker Punch catches a lot of ghosts off-guard, and it's funny to see their reaction. Psychic is mostly filler, but it hits Dokkora really hard (great switch-in to mach punch).

Not being able to be status'd is also nice. Switch in on a Murkrow's Taunt, U-turn to their switch in, and get momentum going.

This might be a common moveset, but I haven't seen anything like it used against me =/

It's a nice set, however, it should read...

Switch in on a Murkrow's Taunt, then take a Sucker Punch which OHKOes Natu.*
Yes, Natu can check most Fighting Types that pleague this Metagame, however, don't go switching into Murkrow anytime soon. Honestly, Murkrow is not afraid of Natu at all, there's no reason why Murkrow should Switch after a Taunt, when it's guaranteed to hit with a STAB Super Effective Sucker Punch, forcing Natu to Switch, or fall to Murkrow.

Also, I believe Slowpoke must be added to this list. Slowpoke is an excellent check to many of the Metagame's top threats, from Dokkora, to Meditite, and finally to Gligar with STAB Water and Psychic moves. Even Tesshiido is 2HKOed by Slowpoke's Fire Blast.

Er, well, Murkrow doesn't like Thunder Wave or Reflect much...

And 2HKOing Tesshildo with Fire Blast isn't much of an accomplishment...

But yeah, Slowpoke is cool.

Er, well, Murkrow doesn't like Thunder Wave or Reflect much...

And 2HKOing Tesshildo with Fire Blast isn't much of an accomplishment...

But yeah, Slowpoke is cool.
Murkrow does have time to smack Natu around before it sets anything up.

Also, walling all Fighting Types, Gligar and most Ground Types is an accomplishment, Fire Blast is merely just a bonus.

A lot of the mons being mentioned are Gen IV staples. There's a reason they aren't being used: they're too weak for Gen V. Try hitting something like Evo Stone Pururiru or Tess with LO Kabuto. Not gonna work. (I do like Koffing, though.) There is something I like... (stolen from EM)
I never really played LC during Gen IV, and I'm just getting into it now, so I am still learning. My bad if the Kabuto comment was misplaced. I guess I should have worded it differently, and said 'It's done well for me when I've used it, but that isn't a whole lot of battles to base it off of, so it's a limited sample.' =)

However, even if it may not be able to damage those super bulky dudes you mentionied, it still can be a decent supported being able to set up SR and spin, no? And priority is never bad, to catch stuff that's into the red.

I dunno, I always liked Kabuto so maybe he's just got a place in my heart. =P

Either way though, that Swablu set sounds pretty cool as a weather stopper though. This might be a bad idea, but what about using Rest over Roost? With the defensive spread, Evo Stone, and Cotton Guard, you're probably bulky enough to last the sleep turns, right? That way you don't get ruined by something like an enemy Toxic. This is just theorymoning though, that could very well be awful. =P

Status isn't as prevalent in LC, so I don't think it will mind that much. Then again, there aren't nearly as many walls so that's probably why.

I'm not very good at LC, I'm pretty new. But I love this set:

Slowpoke (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Regeneration
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SAtk / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Boil Over
- Yawn / Ice Beam / Fire Blast

This is such a good counter to all of the Fighting types running around, as it walls them and kills them with Psychic. It has great HP and great Defense, along with average Special Defense (which is remedied by the high HP). It can inflict a Burn with Boil Over, and hit Fighting-types with Psychic. Yawn can phaze, and if the opponent doesn't switch out, you can set up. Ice Beam OHKO's Gligar, but Boil Over already 2HKO's. Fire Blast is mostly for Tesshiido, who thinks it can switch in easily.

That Slowpoke is awesome. It totally walls all Meditite and most Fighting-types. I totally agree that Slowpoke is underrated and should be used more

Problem is the 2 most used fighting types Zuruggu and Meditite are not weak to psychic.

QUOTE=sax king;3264077]I'm not very good at LC, I'm pretty new. But I love this set:

Slowpoke (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Regeneration
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SAtk / 36 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Boil Over
- Yawn / Ice Beam / Fire Blast

This is such a good counter to all of the Fighting types running around, as it walls them and kills them with Psychic. It has great HP and great Defense, along with average Special Defense (which is remedied by the high HP). It can inflict a Burn with Boil Over, and hit Fighting-types with Psychic. Yawn can phaze, and if the opponent doesn't switch out, you can set up. Ice Beam OHKO's Gligar, but Boil Over already 2HKO's. Fire Blast is mostly for Tesshiido, who thinks it can switch in easily.[/QUOTE]

Psychic is useless. It misses OHKOes on Meditite and Dokkora. Zen Headbutt is a superor choice. Hence the set should read:

move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: Boil Over / Surf
move 3: Thunder Wave / Fire Blast / Ice Beam
move 4: Slack Off
item: Evolution Stone
ability: Regeneration / Own Tempo
nature: Relaxed
evs: 196 Hp / 76 Atk / 236 Def

THIS is a better way, it walls all Fighting Types, Meditite can't touch it, and it retaliates back on Meditite with STAB Zen Headbutt, which has good chances to 2HKO.

Also, FYI, Ice Beam DOES NOT OHKO Gligar most of the time. They will often Roost before you, and in real life, I don't see a Gligar switching into Slowpoke, nor not Roosting prior to the obvious Ice Beam that's incoming, hence Fire Blast being a superior choice to deal with Tesshiido, who WILL Switch in on Slowpoke, and takes about 66% from Fire Blast.

How is Zen Headbutt the superior choice? Dokkora has higher Defense and most likely will have a bulk up. Psychic does about 80-105% to Bulk Up Dokkora, too. Also, Meditite does take slightly less damage from Psychic because Slowpoke's attack is slightly higher, but Psychic has higher base power. With Psychic, you don't need to split EVs and can focus on just one stat (SAtk and SDef) with the leftover EVs. Also, Gligar may not want to switch into Slowpoke. Gligar may be one of the last pokemon left. As a physical wall, Slowpoke will probably be switched into Gligar instead, and if they have multiple boosts, they probably won't switch out. Also, Ice Beam OHKO's Gliscor most of the time. 252/252 Careful Gligar takes 77-93%. I've NEVER seen a 252/252 Careful Gligar, meaning that most variants of Gligar take significantly more damage. In fact, every single on-site set (bar two) is OHKO'd or OHKO'd with Rocks. The two that aren't always OHKO'd with rocks are left with 2HP max (they do 80-112%, 100-80-13=7%, which is 1 or 2 HP).

Zen Headbutt will OHKO Dokkora 100% of the time prior to a Bulk Up with Evolution Stone factored in, whereas Psychic has a chance to miss the OHKO.

I don't think Ice Beam is that useful; Surf does enough, especially when Gligar wants to Roost. Boil Over / Surf / Slack Off / Thunder Wave would be my pick.

I think that surf can be slashed with other stuff as most things that fear surf don't like boil over either. Zen Headbutt is an option a sit deals with fighters who don't fear boil over.

So does Psychic though. It does more damage to Dokkora, who has Guts, and either one won't touch Zuruggu.

Plus, I'm just gonna make a random index of the stuff you guys posted.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Ice Beam is that useful; Surf does enough, especially when Gligar wants to Roost. Boil Over / Surf / Slack Off / Thunder Wave would be my pick.
Why would you want both Boil Over and Surf on the same set?

That Swablu looks really cool; can't wait to try it out!

Washibon has some serious problems. It's all male, so there's no way for it to use ANY of its level up moves. That means no Brave Bird. But I have managed to make a good Washibon set anyway. So here it is:

Washibon (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Claw Sharpen
- Pluck
- Return
- Shadow Claw

This is the fucking cutest thing I've ever seen. But it's also incredibly deadly. Hustle, its ability, raises the power of all moves by one stage but lowers its accuracy one stage. So it's already at +1 Attack. But after one Claw Sharpen, its accuracy problem is solved, and its attack is at +2. Oh, did I mention that it has base 85 Attack? Yeah, so now you have pokemon with 15 Speed and 36 Attack running around. If it has another turn of set up, it can raise that attack to 45. This is seriously deadly. If something isn't OHKO'd, then it cannot heal with its Oran Berry because Pluck steals it. It can OHKO most stuff with its STAB Return anyway, though. So you have a berry-stealing, attacking machine with perfect accuracy on everything. Some calcs if you're not quite convinced:

+1 Washibon Return vs LO Gligar - 108.7-134.8%
+1 Washibon Pluck vs Max Def Evo Stone Tesshiido - 38-50% (not many physical attackers can do that with a neutral hit)
+1 Washibon Retrun vs Tank Slowpoke - 46-58%
+1 Washibon Shadow Claw vs Tank Bronzor - 32-40% (Pluck its berry first for 20-25%)
Critical Hit +6 Washibon Pluck vs Lvl 1 Min Def -6 Paras - 22100-260000% (OHKO with SR)

Woah, that looks pretty awesome. Definitely want to make a team around that now lol. Adding it to the index.

EDIT: would Aerial Ace be worth it? Maybe before a Claw Sharpen, it'll never miss which means it's isn't affected by Hustle. It seems inferior to Pluck though, especially since Claw Sharpen raises accuracy, and steals berries of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)