Undertale

I keep telling myself I'm going to finish my true paci run and then just never reset the game again so I can't get tempted to hurt anyone but we all know that's a lie

I dont know if I could hurt Papyrus tho... like I think about it and I just feel like a terrible person???? And then I'm like 'But does watching it on YT or something really make you much of a better person???' and Moral Dilemmas

No game has made me feel more like the villain (accurately) since, idk, Animal Crossing. Weird how that seems to be tied to feeling like theres in-universe reality to your action

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I cannot like this post enough

I feel bad for getting you the game if this is what you're gonna do with it :(

You know my type. I'm very determined, aren't I? I'll never give up, even if there's absolutely NO benefit to persevering whatsoever. No matter what, I'll just keep going. Not out of any desire for good or evil... but just because I think I can. And because I "can"... ... I "have to".

At the same time I strongly suggest anyone who loves this game and hates themselves play genocide at least once
Best route. The boss fights in that one is insane and worth the play. The additional stories behind the characters is also something you don't want to miss out on.

I have yet to play Undertale and, in fact, have been basically entirely spoiled on Undertale. Here's how I feel about some things.
- I feel like the "actions have consequences" thing Toby is going for is very easily undermined because of the nature of the medium. There's no lasting repercussions apart from some missed dialogue (which you can just watch on YouTube anyway) by resetting a Genocide run after the Sans fight but before you come across Flowey/Asgore/Chara
- If I am interpreting Flowey's dialogue correctly at the end of Genocide I especially do not like the implication that 100% completion of a game is a bad thing
- I do like that the Genocide run is basically a JRPG (with the exception of a couple of fights) and a Pacifist run is a bullet hell game. I think that was pretty well done.
- So Sorry can fuck right off
- Good soundtrack
- Awful community (and trust me, I know about awful communities)
I am still open to playing the game (mostly because people have been bugging me to play it anyway and I fucking love Earthbound so more games like it are fine by me).

Last edited:
I have yet to play Undertale and, in fact, have been basically entirely spoiled on Undertale. Here's how I feel about some things.
- I feel like the "actions have consequences" thing Toby is going for is very easily undermined because of the nature of the medium. There's no lasting repercussions apart from some missed dialogue (which you can just watch on YouTube anyway) by resetting a Genocide run after the Sans fight but before you come across Flowey/Asgore/Chara
- If I am interpreting Flowey's dialogue correctly at the end of Genocide I especially do not like the implication that 100% completion of a game is a bad thing
- I do like that the Genocide run is basically a JRPG (with the exception of a couple of fights) and a Pacifist run is a bullet hell game. I think that was pretty well done.
- So Sorry can fuck right off
- Good soundtrack
- Awful community (and trust me, I know about awful communities)
I am still open to playing the game (mostly because people have been bugging me to play it anyway and I fucking love Earthbound so more games like it are fine by me).
Don't look at spoiler unless you want to be super spoiled
do you know what happens if you play the pacifist route after the genocide route? This

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Resetting after killing sans and going all the way is the difference between lots of people dying and literally everyone in the world dying, then dying in repeat playthroughs because you sold your soul. I WISH I had quit sooner than I did. Sans says as much, quitting is the most determined thing you can do. This is why I don't replay the game. I could maybe find a way to hard wipe all the data, but I don't deserve to be able to. The medium can't undermine that.

There is no 100% completion. There is just you killing everyone you love "because you can". In any game with choices and save scumming, you are a god. You could do right by others, or choose to fuck over everyone. And why? To see what it feels like? That's so crazy sociopathic when you take a moment to step out. What you'll probably say now is that "it's a game, it's not real", but that's not what the majority who voted Undertale as best game ever seemed to think about it. Have fun.

I've known some BAD fandoms for things I like, but people who like Undertale are passionate, inclusive, and enjoy talking about memorable moments from a memorable game. I don't when the fuck it became normal to hate fandoms merely for existing especially hard. Sticks-in-the-mud types who don't like new experiences but don't want to think they are missing out on anything would rather think that the game, and by extension its fans, are bad. I've seen it compared to Five Nights at Freddy's, but the truth is that the exact same people existed for Breaking Bad.

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That's why I always quit and reset at the beginning of every conversation with [REDACTED] :-) no soul sale for me no sir

I've said this already but Undertale's biggest achievement is the way in which it has managed to integrate unique aspects of its medium (videogames) into its gameplay and story without breaking the fourth wall. If anything it draws the player through the fourth wall and onto the stage. And that's something I'd never experienced before. Not only being a part of the story by merit of your player avatar, some extension/pseudopod of yourself, but actually, truly, being involved in a world filled with lovable characters and choices that stretch beyond the in-game window onto your computer screen.

hey vonfiedler breaking bad didn't have a torrential amount of sexual fan work, at least I hope not

and if someone can beat ocarina of time in under 20 minutes without a sword then I can definitely play a clean install of a game

pretty sure woodsy likes the game (and so do I, two thumbs up so far) but there are fans id like to torch

A friend bought it for me. It is pleasant thus far (also with one bit that wasn't spoiled for me that made me laugh)

Also please do not speak for me in regards to "What you'll probably say now", thank you.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
hey vonfiedler breaking bad didn't have a torrential amount of sexual fan work, at least I hope not
I haven't seen any of that, and I'm not the kind of guy who normally wouldn't. So I don't really see how it gets in the way, if certain people at least keep it to themselves.

Undertale is at least partially about dinosaurs and skeleton going on dates. I always thought this was more like, innocent and silly, as opposed to furry perversion/aggressive homosexual agenda or whatever some people want to see. And newtonja is right, it was pretty easy to find sexual Breaking Bad fan art.

For those that didn't actually click the video to read the description, it's actually a one fight playable mod (technically not a mod since it's its own file but whatever) and not just an animation, in case that wasn't clear

Kinda ironic since Toby fox started his career modding the game Undertale is most based on, Earthbound

best area so far, great track, great atmosphere. Getting stalked while reading the history signs and the echo flower recordings of asgore and toriel possibly?

and apparently there are different endings still? i made mettaton ruler of the underworld LMAO

there are different neutral endings depending on which major bosses you kill/spare, and a couple extra factors.

there's probably 15-20 different endings or so, and several of them end with a special message from your very best friend that hints at how to get the Pacifist ending.

so I just completed the pacifist route for the second time. The way I planned to play the game was do pacifist genocide pacifist but I kinda got thrown off course when I reached sans. Now I kept fighting him and fighting him and it was at this point that I truly started to question my motives for doing the genocide route in the first place and what sans said really rang true with me, I was doing it simply because it was there (also to brag to my friends). When I discovered this is lost all motivation to continue, I just felt so wrong and empty so I decided to abort the genocide route entirely and right my wrongs by doing the pacifist route. For the most part I felt atoned for my sins but there was this little part of me that just nagged at me saying that I killed all of these people. when flowey reprimanded me, it brought all this guilt to light and I have decided never to attempt the genocide route again.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Anyone who claims they spared Toriel and didn't look at guides/spoilers beforehand is a filthy liar.
In the tutorial fight she stresses the importance of not fighting.
A frog tells you to spare people even when they aren't yellow.
Sparing her more than once triggers new dialogue.

It was PRETTY obvious.

Now, Undyne...

Anyone who claims they spared Toriel and didn't look at guides/spoilers beforehand is a filthy liar.
When the talk option kept failing, I thought that meant I would be forced to kill her.

RIP Toriel, I feel horrible when I try to call her cell and it says... "But no one answers."

Yeah, I think undyne probably stumped the most amount of people, that or toriel. Although after the muffet fight I was left broke because I thought that is what I had to do in order to spare her.

Last edited:

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Truth be told, before playing the game myself I had watched someone stream roughly the first half of it in a pacifist playthrough, up to the Mad Dummy fight. This is what convinced me to buy the game in the first place, so I entered knowing how to spare Toriel, but I feel like even if I had gone into the game completely blind, I would've been able to figure out how to do it. I spent a lot of time exploring the environment and talking with the frogs in the Ruins, more so than what I had already seen of the game, and I think I could've picked up on the various hints that were dropped.

Undyne stumped me pretty hard, though. I didn't look up a guide or anything, but I died about six or seven times because I kept challenging / pleading with her. Her dialogue continues to change regardless of what action you take, so it sort of leads you on into thinking the fight is just an absurdly long endurance test. The actual solution came to me on a whim, when I realized that fleeing was the only option I hadn't tried.

In retrospect, the game does quite a bit to hint at the solution, just like with Toriel. She opens the fight with a comment along the lines of "No more running away!", she specifically mentions that you can't escape as long as you're green (the "can't escape" text is even highlighted in red), and her check description mentions that she NEVER gives up. It did make me feel awfully clever upon figuring it out, and really hammered in the unconventional nature of the pacifist boss fights.
so I just completed the pacifist route for the second time. The way I planned to play the game was do pacifist genocide pacifist but I kinda got thrown off course when I reached sans. Now I kept fighting him and fighting him and it was at this point that I truly started to question my motives for doing the genocide route in the first place and what sans said really rang true with me, I was doing it simply because it was there (also to brag to my friends). When I discovered this is lost all motivation to continue, I just felt so wrong and empty so I decided to abort the genocide route entirely and right my wrongs by doing the pacifist route. For the most part I felt atoned for my sins but there was this little part of me that just nagged at me saying that I killed all of these people. when flowey reprimanded me, it brought all this guilt to light and I have decided never to attempt the genocide route again.
Your response to the genocide route is really interesting. It's amazing that Undertale can really invest you in your relationship with the characters, and force you to realistically weigh the consequences of your actions. It seems like the Sans fight had the exact effect on you that I think it was designed to; to force you to reevaluate whether sheer curiosity and completion is worth betraying the friendships you've already fostered.

I had planned to take the same approach to my multiple playthroughs (pacifist, then genocide, then pacifist again to make myself feel good about my actions again), and Sans' words resonated just as much with you as with me; however, it didn't stop me from seeing my murderous rampage through to its end.

After completing the genocide route and the game unceremoniously dumps you back into a completely new reset of the game, I was desperately paranoid of some lasting consequence showing up. The way the game just seems to completely forget everything that just happened, especially given its penchant for remembering your past decisions, was far too suspicious. But of course, nothing happens immediately, and at about the point I had reached Undyne again I got bored of playing the same game again and just stopped. I eventually just looked up what happens at the end of the pacifist route again, and was chilled by its implications. Undertale suspends the weight of your sins until the very moment you think you've atoned for them, then drops it right on your head.

In that sense, I think there's something poetic about the fact that I decided shelve the game indefinitely. If I were to complete the game again, I ensure the death of all the characters this game has made me care about so much. I've effectively destroyed any chance for a happy ending. The only way to keep them safe is to deny them their wish for freedom, and keep them imprisoned in the Underground forever. And myself with them, I suppose.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I didn't read any guides and I got this game p early on before it got attention on Tumblr and whatnot (I got it like October 10th or smth, so about a week or two after release). I decided I wouldn't kill anything when I started playing. I heard there was a "pacifist" ending at the time, so I thought that I would see what that entailed first (I knew mostly because theangryscientist mentioned it on irc, but I didn't know what it was bar intuition based off the definition of pacifism). I was frustrated w/Toriel at first, but then I began to notice that her moves deliberately avoided the cursor when fighting her. In the end I spared her on my first round through the game. Also I want to note I literally did a true pacifist run the first time around and the only thing I had to do afterward beating the game one time around was to make friends with Undyne in order to get the true pacifist ending.

I was going to do a genocide route but I just couldn't bring myself to it since I literally didn't hurt anyone the first time through. Basically after killing two monsters I stopped. And I couldn't bring myself to do a neutral route either because of that as well.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I heard there was a "pacifist" ending at the time
Of course if you heard this you would know. My point is that for someone who had only ever played typical RPGs and had only heard generic 'it's good' or 'buy this', there's no reason to assume there is any consequence for killing anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)