Undertale

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Of course if you heard this you would know. My point is that for someone who had only ever played typical RPGs and had only heard generic 'it's good' or 'buy this', there's no reason to assume there is any consequence for killing anything.
also assuming you didn't read the game's description i guess

I heard about GR and PR but my first play through, I played it like the typical RPG on my first playthrough

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Of course if you heard this you would know. My point is that for someone who had only ever played typical RPGs and had only heard generic 'it's good' or 'buy this', there's no reason to assume there is any consequence for killing anything.
Literally every npc in the first area asks you not to kill things.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One of the NPCs in the early areas says you can beat monsters within an inch of their lives and then spare them IIRC, and Toriel demands that you prove you're strong. So, I figured the way to spare her was to prove you're strong. Apparently not, though.

The incorrect way and correct way could both be considered obvious, but only one is true.

Anyone who claims they spared Toriel and didn't look at guides/spoilers beforehand is a filthy liar.
I did. It took me a while, but I did. I did try fighting her and then Sparing, but when it was clear it wasn't working, I just Sparespammed and won.

One of the NPCs in the early areas says you can beat monsters within an inch of their lives and then spare them IIRC, and Toriel demands that you prove you're strong. So, I figured the way to spare her was to prove you're strong. Apparently not, though.

The incorrect way and correct way could both be considered obvious, but only one is true.
Not only this, but you can set it so that you can tell when monsters are spare able by having the text turn yellow/pink.

Between these two things it is very easy to assume that you can Pokemon mode it by weakening Toriel before sparing her. Obviously that was the intention, as she instadies when she hits 40% or whatever

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
RATE YOURSELF!

^I'd say I'm a Level 6

/r/undertale is slowly going through shitpost metamorphosis and evolving past protoshitposting (e.g., upvote to get tem money, etc) into ironic and even good shitposting

just a heads up for anyone else looking for more hot undertale memes

finished my Neutral and Pacifist runs recently, don't think I'll do Genocide since I already youtubed it and parts of it sound pretty tedious. Really fantastic game, the writing and soundtrack were pretty much consistently great and the battle system was not only unique but consistently fun. I think my favorite bits were all the goofy dog fights early on and then the Pacifist final boss (Hopes and Dreams such a good track) and finally the joke in the Pacifist ending about dogs marrying their siblings

On another topic, Mettaton EX's battle theme, Death By Glamour, is actually a mashup of a couple different music pieces that relate to him. The opening of the song is a more poppy remix of CORE, then it transitions into a remix of his original battle theme, Metal Crusher, and the end is a more enthusiastic rendition of It's Showtime!. Turns out this is actually a common trend with Undertale's music, and a lot of boss battles and themes for important plot points sample tracks found elsewhere in the game. This is actually a really interesting way to get by without making a ton of unique tracks, and capitalize on the significance of each music piece by subtly implementing them repeatedly throughout the game. Some other interesting examples of this are hidden below due to spoilers:
Recurring melodies is one of my favorite things in soundtracks (Persona 3 and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody being a couple other games that do it well offhand) and Undertale does it really well.

RATE YOURSELF!

^I'd say I'm a Level 6

/r/undertale is slowly going through shitpost metamorphosis and evolving past protoshitposting (e.g., upvote to get tem money, etc) into ironic and even good shitposting

just a heads up for anyone else looking for more hot undertale memes
Level 1 or 0 for me? I mean I haven't even finished the game so...

brightobject

there like moonlight
LETS GET HYPED BOIZ, THE UNDERTALE REMIX ALBUM FROM (IMO) THE BEST UNDERTALE REMIXER OUT THERE IS FINALLY DROPPIN

HQ PRODUCTION, MUSICAL VARIETY, IT'S ALL THERE

AND ITS NAME UR PRICE !-!

glamburgers are a lot more cost effective, but you should at least have enough for one steak by that point if you're thrifty (buying the steak is not thrifty)

glamburgers are a lot more cost effective, but you should at least have enough for one steak by that point if you're thrifty (buying the steak is not thrifty)
I was assuming though that if I used it, it will give a big rating/views/whateveritisyouneedalotoftodefeathim and make up for not using glamburgers instead.

Are you specifically trying for the ratings win? Because you can still achieve the same dialogue and everything by shooting him a bunch
I'd prefer not to kill him or get close to accidentally killing him, he's one of my favorite characters so far and I don't want to screw up like with Toriel.

brightobject

there like moonlight
I'd prefer not to kill him or get close to accidentally killing him, he's one of my favorite characters so far and I don't want to screw up like with Toriel.
spoilers:
hitting him with the bullets doesn't kill him (and never will). That's how you knock body parts off, etc. one by one without killing and once they're all knocked off (or ratings go thru the roof) the end of the fight is triggered ;)

I finally played this over the week and I feel like kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It's absolutely captivating and I've played through it four times now. Can't finish Genocide, though, for... understandable reasons...
Bought the OST, too. Helps me get through work.

brightobject

there like moonlight
To follow up on my previous post:

RichaadEB (heavy metal covers) and Ace Waters (variety covers) have also teamed up to release a great Remix album. Unlike the previous one this one is 15$ minimum, which is a stretch....but it's barely worth it imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)