Underused Dark Horse Project 1.1 (see post#98)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 43320
New Thread approved by Hikari and banner made by yours truly

Welcome to the UU Dark Horse Project v1.1!
This is the new revamped Dark Horse Project. For those of you not familiar with Dark Horse, the definition of a Dark Horse is a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds..

So, even with the UU meta, there are still mons that aren't utilized as often as more popular choices because the players typically see these mons with less usage as being "inferior" or "not viable." But, there are still mons that can serve a niche in the UU meta without being necessary outclassed by the more used mons. So, this project is to determine which mons are being underutilized and have a niche in the UU meta.

In the past, we have determined a Dark Horse by usage %'s. But, we are going to be trying something different for this new version; Dark Horses will be determined by viability rankings. Rules are as follows;

-Each team will be required to have 1 "B" and 1 "C" ranked Dark Horse mon on each team at minimum (Any ranked B/C mon i.e. B+/B/B-, etc...).
-If you use a "D" or Unranked mon, they count as part of your Dark Horse requirement, as well. So, if you pick M-Absol (B+) and Delphox (unranked), you minimum requirements are met.
-Each team is given an allowance of 15 Points. As you use higher ranked mons, the more points you are going to use. Ranking Points will be as follows;

S: 5 Points
A+: 3.75
A: 3.50
A-: 3.25
B+: 2.75
B: 2.50
B-: 2.25
C: 1.25

D Rank/Unranked: Free Points

-Snapshot of viability rankings will be taken at the last day of the month by me and these will be the rankings that will be used every month.
-In addition to this, we are going to draw your attention to a particular Dark Horse every month. If your team utilizes the Featured Dark Horse, your team will be given an extra 3 Points allowance for a total of 18 points.
-Scoring is going to be kept the same from the previous thread;

A= 1600+
B= 1500
C= 1400

-All teams must be submitted in the following format either in this thread or PM to me. Also, you must send me a snapshot to verify your fresh alt.

Fresh Alt:
Team (Dark Horses in Bold) & Points for each mon

-Also, No Suspect Mons or New Drops may be used in this Project.

So, go out there and try out some Dark Horses. Here's this month's Ranking and Featured Dark Horse!

Attached on OP.

P.S. I took a snapshot at 10/2 at 11PM EST to verify #'s..

And October's Dark Horse is none other than...

This month's Dark Horses are Cacturne and Meloetta! Cacturne's unique Grass/Dark typing coupled with Water Absorb and priority gives it a niche which isn't seen in the UU meta. It's access to both SD and NP and base 115 stats can make for a great wallbreaker. Meleotta has always been one of my favorite legendary mons. It's ability to change form mid battle (unheard of before Gen 6) was pretty unique. Even Meloetta-A can sweep with SubCM (thanks to that key 100 HP stat) or be a bulky pivot with AssVest. Go out there and try them out!

Attachments

Last edited:

Leader Board
So, we've decided to add a Leader Board. Every 3 Dark Horse competitions will result in 1 champion. That champion will win a competitive mon that they can use irl (EV'd, Hidden Power, Hidden Ability, Egg Moves). Points will be distributed as follows:

A Rank: 5 points
B Rank: 3 Points
C Rank: 1 Point

At the end of the 3 months, the person with the most points will win. If there is a tie, then the winners will go into SUDDEN DEATH with their Dark Horse teams for that month.
Jaguar360: 3 Points

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Interesting new way to do this which I kinda like. Haven't made a team just yet but I'll likely end up building something fun around either Zoroark or Exploud so stay tuned! Also, good work on the banner, looks sweet.

Reactions: nv

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Very cool, I'll try to put something together.

I assume since the Tini suspect is ending in a few days, we should wait until the regular ladder opens again before we start?

Very cool, I'll try to put something together.

I assume since the Tini suspect is ending in a few days, we should wait until the regular ladder opens again before we start?
Unless you want to try to get reqs in 2 days, then waiting til Wednesday to start might be a good idea :-P

I wanted to post this earlier since the formats different this month so people could look into this a little more.

Minor nit pick, the ranking scoring key has two "b".
The featured dark horse has to be used along with one B and one C?
Thx for bringing this back with a nice twist.
Rip tyrantrum on every team

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It says that using the featured Dark Horse gives another three points, but does it also take away from those points because it's on the viability rankings? For instance, Granbull is currently B- so it's 2.25 points so does that get included when rounding up the points total for the team?

It says that using the featured Dark Horse gives another three points, but does it also take away from those points because it's on the viability rankings? For instance, Granbull is currently B- so it's 2.25 points so does that get included when rounding up the points total for the team?
All mons are included in the 15 (18) allowance. So, if you use granbull, youll have 15.75 points for the remaining 5 mons and it counts as your B mon Dark Horse requirement, as well.These extra allowance points are to allow you to possibly use more S/A mons since you may be using a more difficult dark horse which would require more team support. I made it slightly easier this month, but you can imagine how it could be difficult.

Last edited:
So, I'm confused when does this start ? when the regular ladder comes up again? Something Im also not clear on, do we HAVE to use featured dark horse, or is it optional?

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
When the regular ladder goes up, this starts. The featured horse is not required, but you get bonus points for using it.

Im going to be in tbis month too. I think it should shake things up a bit, but if its not working then we have the option to go back to the old system or amend the new one.

But, as soon as the new ladder is up, you are free to start and you have the option to use the featured dark horse.

upload_2015-6-5_19-14-20.png

Fresh Alt: Le Jaguar
Team:
Barbacle
- 0 points
Barbaracle @ Wide Lens
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash
- Cross Chop
- Stone Edge

Delphox
- 0 points
Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Krookodile - 3.75 points
Krookodile @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Mega Blastoise - 3.5 points
Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Shaymin - 3.5 points
Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Pangoro - 2.5 points
Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Total: 13.25 points

Before I start, do I need to add a C rank mon considering that I have two unranked mons? I'll probably just replace Barbacle with Cloyster if so.

EDIT: Replacing Pangoro with Lucario. Really in need of that priority.
Lucario @ Life Orb - 3.25 points
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Total: 14 points

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Fresh alt: AM Wanka

Team:
Granbull @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Overheat

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Roserade @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

total: 15.5/18

Also, can barbaracle count as my C rank mon since it is unranked? Or do I need to change it

Last edited:
View attachment 43654
Fresh Alt: Le Jaguar
Team:
Barbacle
- 0 points
Barbaracle @ Wide Lens
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash
- Cross Chop
- Stone Edge

Delphox
- 0 points
Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Krookodile - 3.75 points
Krookodile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Mega Blastoise - 3.5 points
Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Shaymin - 3.5 points
Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Synthesis

Pangoro - 2.5 points
Pangoro @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Total: 13.25 points

Before I start, do I need to add a C rank mon considering that I have two unranked mons? I'll probably just replace Barbacle with Cloyster if so.
No, you used some unranked mons,which more than counts. I'll update the OP to clarify things up a bit rrgarding that. Thanks for asking.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-238807225
Made it to 1408 so far.

I wasn't liking my team so much at first, but I was eventually able to adapt and start getting more wins. My two unranked mons, Barbacle and Delphox both did their jobs for the most part, though could sometimes feel like wasted space. Barbacle was the better of the two imo; it usually didn't sweep since there were a lot of bulky waters and Toxicroaks in my way, but it usually got some good wallbreaking done at the very least. Delphox is nice for having a speedy Trick and for being able to revenge kill a lot of mons at +1 speed like Hydreigon, Salamence, Yanmega, etc. alongside faster fighting types like Cobalion, Virizion, non-Scarf Mienshao and Infernape. However, it's pretty weak. The most it can do against Stall is Trick a Scarf onto something. It's kind of just sitting there after that. Delphox would probably work better in this tier with a Life Orb or Choice Specs.

The other four mons have been equally solid to me for the most part. Krookodile is probably MVP so far though. It has been so helpful to the team and has taken on many roles: rocks setter, revenge killer, wallbreaker...it's great. Luc's Extreme Speed has been crucial to the team's success and Adamant Close Combat is incredibly strong. Ice Punch surprised a few people. Shaymin was my best answer to the troublesome bulky Waters and spamming Seed Flare really did help to wear down opposing mons. Blastoise has been a solid secondary lead as a well as a decent spinner and pivot. Scald is good.

Gonna try and get to 1500 and 1600 now. Take these replays.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-238503818 (Against rain)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-238794318 (Good match that got me past 1300)

New ALt: DaDarkHorse

Mienshao @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Blaze Kick

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Brave Bird

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roar

Granbull @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

14.75/18

My Dark Horses for the month will be Emboar and Meloetta (Granbull is just a placeholder for now). The rest of the team will likely be tweaked (I'll edit the post and points when I've got something more settled) but here it is at the moment:

Emboar - C, 1.5
Meloetta - B, 2.5

Mamoswine - A+, 3.75
Granbull - B-, 2.25
Salamence - A+, 3.75
Roserade - B+, 2.75

Total - 16.5/18
Alt - 15Turtles

Reached 1400s, Emboar is awesome but I found it really hard to make a decent team including Meloetta.
upload_2015-6-17_14-39-25.png

Team as it currently is:
Emboar - C, 1.5
Meloetta - B, 2.5

Mega Banette - Unranked, 0
Accelgor - Unranked, 0
Feraligatr - S, 5
Hydreigon - S, 5

Last edited:
Wow, definitely enjoying these teams! Im going to be updating those who hit rank this weekend. I had a family issue, but will be more present again starting this weekend!

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry but just wondering, when is the OP going to be updated about D ranks and below? Because I'm still confused as to whether a D rank is going to be counting as the B rank Dark Horse or whatnot. Also, just wondering but if possible could the standard amount of points without the featured Dark Horse be up for allocation? Because I tend to see you're going to be using at least a few B ranks and C ranks / below C ranks to ensure you get the 15 points maximum. I was thinking if it was changed to 18 / 20 points it could at least give more space, while not being completely made up of A ranks.

Sorry but just wondering, when is the OP going to be updated about D ranks and below? Because I'm still confused as to whether a D rank is going to be counting as the B rank Dark Horse or whatnot. Also, just wondering but if possible could the standard amount of points without the featured Dark Horse be up for allocation? Because I tend to see you're going to be using at least a few B ranks and C ranks / below C ranks to ensure you get the 15 points maximum. I was thinking if it was changed to 18 / 20 points it could at least give more space, while not being completely made up of A ranks.
As I said before, I had a family issue and will be updating the OP this weekend. If you use a D or un ranked mon, it counts as one of your dark horse requirements (whether b or c is your choice). Or if you use two 2 D or unranked mons, tbey fulfill your DH requirements completely, as well.

With that being said...

Fresh Alt: Jonah1088

Lanturn: 0
Tangrowth: 2.25
Gligar: 2.25
Jellicent: 2.50
Lucario: 3.25
Salamence: 3.75

Total: 14/15

First Dark Horse Project here. Let´s see how it goes :-)

Fresh Alt:

Braviary @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Substitute

Steelix (F) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

Chesnaught (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Drain Punch

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Darmanitan (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Braviary: C/1.5
Mega Steelix: C/1.5
Mandibuzz: A-/3.25
Chesnaught: A-/3.25
Jellicent: B/2.5
Darmanitan: B+/2.75
Total: 14.75/15

Hit 1400 :)

Sub Bulk Up Braviary is so sweet btw. Won about half the matches with it or did heavily wall break the foes team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)