Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok guys it is update time but we are doing something a little different starting this week. I got approval from Hikari to add a voting process so as to include the community more in the decision of picking the best partner for the "victim of the week" (I had to make this joke Kreme sorry lol). Anyways so as of right now, we are going to add a voting process to this project and starting from now until Monday, you can vote on your favorites and Monday / Tuesday I will choose a new matchmaking candidate and then you guys post your partners by Friday, and so on and so on. So for this week we have:

YABO w/ Lucario
beppityboopbop w/ Nidoqueen
Decision Makers w/ Whimsicott
Eeyore w/ Slowking
Shiba w/ Mega Swampert
DKFirelord w/ Salamence
Dad's Dad w/ Mega Abomasnow

So have fun voting guys and I will start it off with voting for...Decision Makers.

P.S. Let me know what you guys want to do as to not potentially clog up the thread. Maybe I could have the potential partners be PM'd to me or we could just keep them posted here + have the voting occur on this thread. Basically I want to accustom this to you guys because the CommUUnity is the best, :)

Ok guys it is update time but we are doing something a little different starting this week. I got approval from Hikari to add a voting process so as to include the community more in the decision of picking the best partner for the "victim of the week" (I had to make this joke Kreme sorry lol). Anyways so as of right now, we are going to add a voting process to this project and starting from now until Monday, you can vote on your favorites and Monday / Tuesday I will choose a new matchmaking candidate and then you guys post your partners by Friday, and so on and so on. So for this week we have:

YABO w/ Lucario
beppityboopbop w/ Nidoqueen
Decision Makers w/ Whimsicott
Eeyore w/ Slowking
Shiba w/ Mega Swampert
DKFirelord w/ Salamence
Dad's Dad w/ Mega Abomasnow

So have fun voting guys and I will start it off with voting for...Decision Makers.

P.S. Let me know what you guys want to do as to not potentially clog up the thread. Maybe I could have the potential partners be PM'd to me or we could just keep them posted here + have the voting occur on this thread. Basically I want to accustom this to you guys because the CommUUnity is the best, :)
As to be fair, I think it would be inappropriate to vote for one's self. Besides just being morally wrong.
I would also wonder if you'd add a poll, so that it is a little more anonymous? That would lead people from being deterred from posting their name and such next to their vote.
Dad's Dad is my vote.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So there is a tie between DKFirelord and Dad's Dad and since I am running behind this week I decided to break it myself and declare Dad's Dad the winner with his Mega Abomasnow post. This week, I decided on a mon I have saw rise (and have personally just started using this gen) and that is...

This downloadable ducky has been probably the best wall UU has to offer and has decent utility and amazing bulk with Eviolite. Have fun you guys and good luck!

Porygon2 + Gligar

The reasoning behind this core is pretty simple; both of these Pokemon are incredibly bulky, capable of stomaching all kinds of hits from many super-threatening Pokemon. This core also possesses a lot of utility between its two members. Both Porygon2 and Gligar can wield status to cripple the opponent's team members (not unlikely since they can live so many hits), and Gligar is just a great utility 'mon in general, with access to Defog, Stealth Rock, and U-turn. However, the best thing about this core is how customizable it is, because both Gligar and P2 can run different EV spreads to check different things and still be viable. It is this ability to blanket-check so much of the metagame that makes these guys so monstrous together.

However, no core is perfect. To minimize the issue of running 2 eviolite 'mons together, I'd run a Knock Off absorber. Both of these 'mons are also weak to status, so a cleric helps as well. Neither Gligar nor P2 can check Fire-types as well as they'd like to, so a primary Fire-check is good here. Above all, however, both of these 'mons are almost dead weight against bulkier setup sweepers, so you can run a Taunt 'mon or a phazer for that.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Roost

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
GOTTA GO SUPER SANIC SPEED

Porygon2
+ Dragalge
Shen you first look at these two you can tell they have pretty good defensive type synergy and try to use them as walls but, the two also has one other thing in common both are pretty slow and a move that Porygon2 gets two help his O Buddy Dragalge it Trick Room. Trace helps Porygon to be able to wall Chandalure still and be able to trace Sheer Force for off Feralagator or Nidoqueen even without a boosting item Porygon can surprisely 2 hit OHKO everyone in UU( That's isn't name Blissy or Florges) I decided to go with Tri Attack+ Thunderbolt because stab Tri Attack hit like a truck and with Thunderboly I can atleast hit Chandalure and bulky-water. Dragalge can provide Toxic Spikes support which both apprited because it can widdle down Stall Teams giving Blissy Fewer times to come in also works against Offense putting a timer on the Pokemon. Draco Meter+Sludge Wave are for stab and I chose Sludge over Sludge Bomb since I already have Toxic Spikes I won't miss the Poisen chance and Sludge Wave hit Chestnaught so I don't have to lower my Special Attack. Focus Miss/Blast hit Steel Types or you could go Hidden a power to hot Forrtress harder.

lol sorry for the essay to put it a little simpler Porygon2 + Drag are amazing TR partners and have amazing type synergy along with it. Try out the core its rally fun and thanks for reading :]

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick Room

Dragalge (M) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Adaptability
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

Last edited:

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Porygon2 + fat dd mence

This basically goes along with what everyone is going to post on here which is p2 + fighting resist except this gives you an opportunity to set up and win. Pretty much the only way youre killing off p2 is with stupidly strong fighting stab and mence loves to eat those and take full advantage to get full dd's up to win the game. Not only this but the mons that threaten salamence are all free switchs for p2, letting it be the annoying little shit we all love it for and fire off t waves and recovers.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake/refresh

these are the ev spreads that i use personally but you can play with them obvi, the speed on mence outspeeds max modest nidoqueen so you can hit it with an eq and the p2 spread means that you arent 3hkod by pidg without rocks. Refresh can be used over eq so that this duo isn't status bait.

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Standard Florges is a great partner for the fat P2. There are 3 reliable ways to beat P2: smack it with fighting STABs, knock off eviolite, or burn/toxic it. And what can Florges do to alleviate these burdens? I'm glad you asked! Florges resists fighting, resists Knock Off, and can heal any status on P2 with Aromatherapy! Wow! Florges also hard walls Taunt Roost Hydreigon, which puts immense pressure on P2 if it Recovers on a Taunt after eating a LO Draco. Unlike Gligar, Florges devours Dark Pulses and Dracos for dinner, so P2 isn't forced to take them. Florges can also switch into fighting types without being terrified of knock off, which cripples Gligar (however loss of lefties does suck). The core, however, struggles with BP Luc and Entei so CM Slowking is a good partner.

Reactions: nv

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
GOTTA GO SUPER SANIC SPEED

Porygon2
+ Dragalge
Shen you first look at these two you can tell they have pretty good defensive type synergy and try to use them as walls but, the two also has one other thing in common both are pretty slow and a move that Porygon2 gets two help his O Buddy Dragalge it Trick Room. Trace helps Porygon to be able to wall Chandalure still and be able to trace Sheer Force for off Feralagator or Nidoqueen even without a boosting item Porygon can surprisely 2 hit OHKO everyone in UU( That's isn't name Blissy or Florges) I decided to go with Tri Attack+ Thunderbolt because stab Tri Attack hit like a truck and with Thunderboly I can atleast hit Chandalure and bulky-water. Dragalge can provide Toxic Spikes support which both apprited because it can widdle down Stall Teams giving Blissy Fewer times to come in also works against Offense putting a timer on the Pokemon. Draco Meter+Sludge Wave are for stab and I chose Sludge over Sludge Bomb since I already have Toxic Spikes I won't miss the Poisen chance and Sludge Wave hit Chestnaught so I don't have to lower my Special Attack. Focus Miss/Blast hit Steel Types or you could go Hidden a power to hot Forrtress harder.

lol sorry for the essay to put it a little simpler Porygon2 + Drag are amazing TR partners and have amazing type synergy along with it. Try out the core its rally fun and thanks for reading :]

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Quiet Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Tri Attack

Dragalge (M) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Adaptability
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

cool but you might actually want to put trick room on a trick room porygon2 n_n

Well R0ady took my idea, so congrats on winning this week ;) But I'll give it a shot anyways.

Instead of going stupidly in-depth this week, I'll keep it simple. First the P2

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Calm Nature
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Recover

I went with a BW EV spread, as going all out in either seemed to leave me lackluster in the department uninvested in. However, depending on your team, please adjust the EVs appropriately. Check the Smogon analysis, they'll point you the right way. I just liked the extra Special Defense, as most partners that resist fighting have pretty good special defense, and appreciate the special defense investment.
What matters is the moves. I chose Discharge and Thunder Wave because this Porygon is a Utility mon. Toxic is slashed if you want to try and test against some bulkier opponents, or have faith in the 30% Para rate, which for me tends to be 5%, and against me tends to be 75%. Crippling speed matters in UU, where Beedrill, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Sceptile, Mega Pidgeot (early RIP?), Dragon Dance, and Speed Boost tend to be on every other team. eliminating that makes what would be a scary monster tear like paper, and Porygon has the bulk to do it most of the time. Take a hit from S-Rank mon, T-wave or Discharge, and suddenly your C-Rank mon is a pretty good check. Speed control is needed when Speed is as mandatory as it is in UU

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head

I love Utility Cobalion. Ever since reading DaSpoofy 's winning comparison with Mega Sceptile, I've given the musketeer a slot in my teams. But why with Porygon2? It's weak to fighting, Entei, Gatr, and Krook's EQ, none of which Porygon particularly likes either.

Cobalion does something that a lot of the other entries do not. Cobalion is immune to Toxic with its steel typing-- which is one of the biggest wears on Porygon2. Burns and Paralysis are annoying to both, but with Porygon's low speed and access to recover, they don't cripple, only hinder. But the more important thing is Knock Off. Knock off's are going to be thrown left and right at Porygon, especially from formidable foes like Krook, Tangrowth, Donphan, Tentacruel, Mienshao (though less likely than High Jump Kick), Beedrill, Mandibuzz, Hitmonlee, Gligar, Absol, Ambipom, Azelf, Scrafty and more. This is a free set up for Cobalion, and with base 108 speed, ending up at 342, it can surprise a lot of those threats with an incredibly strong rebuttal, or at least a quick Volt Switch to another spongy member of the team.

Azelf with Taunt is still a problem. So is set-up Slurpuff, Gatr, Entei, Mienshao, the Lord Reunicles and Krook with average prediction, but if I claimed a duo to be perfect, I'd be lying or selling something to you. This duo is meant to fit with others. Most of the posts prior and probably after mine would fit really well. Remember, this is a teambuilding guide, don't just pick one, Cobalion and Pory are not the team, just members.

Reactions: nv

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This week is tough, because the wonderful thing about P2 is that it doesn't really need any support in terms of the rest of the team, making it a fantastic pivot whether you're running balance or straight offense or even stall.

That being said, it has a few weaknesses: strong Fighting types, Knock Off, Toxic and heavy hazards (especially T-Spikes, although Spikes + SR will wear it down very quickly) all prevent it from doing its job. So, with that in mind, I'd like to point out one of the best partners for P2 regardless of what kind of team you're running:

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe OR 248 HP / 48 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn / Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Itemless Crobat can easily switch into strong Fighting moves, Knock Off, Toxic, etc. with impunity. It chases out basically every fighting type in the tier. It can eliminate hazards that prevent P2 from switching in multiple times, and stallbreak or gain momentum as necessary. Offensive teams will most likely prefer the 252 Attack version, which can maintain a surprisingly large amount of offensive pressure with Acrobatics, while balanced and defensive teams will probably prefer bulky Bat to more frequently switch into Knock Offs and strong fighting attacks.

I don't have a team together at the moment with this particular combo, but I'll try to build one and post some replays later.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
After taking along r0ady trip I vote for R0ady thats a knee slapper if anyone else wants to use it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)