Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

while i do enjoy using lass + sableye offense, for a matchmaking competition snorlax makes much more sense and so my vote is shadestep

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
And after a long ass week time, the winner is shadestep and their Snorlax submission! Congratulations! :))))

This week, I picked a Pokemon that surprisingly is very effective despite it being NU Gen 5 and having been locked up in OU this gen due to its Mega being a massive threat. I am talking about...

This pretty lady has amazing wallbreaking capabilities as well as an expansive movepool. Have fun and submissions end on Friday.

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

In typical fashion I'm super late picking up my reservation but whatever. Gardevoir and Pert make some pretty cool partners, Pert handles Steel types like Maggron / Mega Lix which Garde loathes as well as being able to check poison types and fire types such as toxicroak and entei respectively. Having stealth rock is just gonna help gardevoir wallbreak. Giving it the opportunity to net 2hkos and what not. These two make a pretty menacing wallbreaking core with Swampert being able to threaten the majority of special walls and Gardevoir being able to threaten the majority of physical walls.

(Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

(Gardevoir) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
Beauty and the Beast

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Thunder Wave

Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Krookodile is possibly the best partner for Gardevoir. There are many sets possible on both Pokemons, but I really like the CM Gardevoir + non-choice Krookodile duo.

CM Gardevoir is an incredibly powerful wallbreaker and win condition. Thanks to its excellent dual STABs and good coverage moves, there are very few things that can reliably switch into it. But if it hits hard, Gardevoir is hampered by it's frailty on the physical side and middling speed, meaning that many fast physical attackers have little trouble taking it down. Even if it has access to the unreliable Focus Blast, Gardevoir still struggles to beat Steel types, but it also is annoyed by Poison and Ghost types that can hit it super effectively.

What deals better with Steel, Poison and Ghost types than the dreaded Krookodile ? Thanks to its access to Ground/Dark STABs and Pursuit, it can reliably beat most of the things that threaten Gardevoir, namely Doublade, Bronzong, Roserade, Nidoking, Chandelure, etc. Intimidate also gives it an easier time against physical attackers. It even sets rocks to help Gardevoir sweeping the ennemy team. What else do you need ?

Note that Krookodile cannot deal with things like Cobalion and Beedrill-Mega that are massive threats to Gardevoir, so pairing this duo with something like Doublade is a good idea.​

Last edited:
YES FINALLY

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Will O' Wisp / Trick
- Healing Wish

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword

Okay so first off, I'm sad because I wanted Pert. Nice Snag Cynde. Anyways Scarf Gardevoir, which is surprisingly passed up for Specs from what I've seen lately, and ... why?

so I used Garde in OU in Gen 5, as it was a phenomenal weather counter (though technically THAT set is DPP), with Trace to copy Swift Swim, Dry Skin, Solar Power or Chlorophyll. Now maybe it's just me, but I see those abilities a lot around here, with Mega Pert and Mega Doom both being completely outsped, and taken with a Super Effective move in Moonblast or Energy Ball, Dry Skin from Heliolisk and Toxicroak, both of which Garde outspeeds, and has over a 50% chance to OHKO with Rocks on the field. Trace also takes incredibly useful abilities like Intimidate from three of the most common UU mons, Sheer Force, Pressure, and others. The Third move slot can be a myriad of moves, if you're set on weather countering, stick to Energy Ball, as it takes on Swampert, while the standard Moonblast/Psyshock STAB takes on Houndoom, Venusaur, Kingdra, and Toxicroak. Focus Blast takes on the Steel Types that this core starts to suffer against, while Shadow Ball battles Reuniclus, though is slightly inferior for this core due to Doublade's STAB hitting harder approximately all the time. Will O can be used to outspeed and cripple fast physical threats, which take up 9 of the top 20 mons. Trick is the last move to use, to cripple set-up and defensive mons like Suicune, Wish-Protect mons like Florges, Umbreon, and Alomomola, and dedicated leads like Azelf, Galvantula, and Froslass. Healing Wish puts Gardevoir in the same niche as Shaymin, but with slightly more relevant STABs.

However, Gardevoir has terrible defensive stats and, with how strong priority moves can be, needs a mon with strong defenses, and preferably some physical attacks. Luckily, Doublade fills that role, being surprisingly defensive with Eviolite, having the ability to SD at least once off of most strong moves, and countering with priority STAB in Shadow Sneak. Gyro Ball compliments his awful speed, turning it from a hinderance into an asset, and taking on Mamoswine and Florges, both of which could be hard for Gardevoir, and Sacred Sword, to help if Garde doesn't take Focus Miss. Toxic is a decent surprise option, or Pursuit, as Doublade forces a decent number of switches.

Doublade absolutely adores Healing Wish, as burns and Knock Off turn it from a force of nature into a plastic katana, and allows you to play a little more aggro with Doublade, as you essentially get 2 Doublades. Quadblade.

Be sure to pair up with Mence to create a Fairy/Steel/Dragon core, or with Gatr/Mence for a good set-up sweeper after this wallbreaking core.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Trick / Healing Wish

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock

Mamoswine pairs up nicely with Gardevoir, as it basically crushes any Steel type that wants to come in on Garde with it's powerful Earthquake, and can pick off weakened threats like Mega Aerodactyl with Ice Shard. It also can break a lot of walls, like Blissey and Porygon2, pretty nicely, so Scarf Garde can clean up late-game. Gardevoir can also switch in on Dragon and Fighting type moves for Mamo. Mamoswine also enjoys Healing Wish support to give it a second life in wallbreaking the match. Something to pair with this core is something that can beat bulky waters like Mega Swampert, who can set up Rain Dance on non-Energy Ball Garde and proceed to fuck up the core, so partners like Shaymin or Whimsicott are good. Overall, this is a really fun core and I hope you like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Memento/Healing Wish

Absol is a big threat in the current meta if you don't have anything to stop it, as it just murders almost everything with a STAB Knock Off, picks off weakened foes with a well-placed sucker Punch, and everything it doesn't hit well with those two it hammers down with something like Play Rough. It also has the advantage of being able to bounce away status and set up on mons that would otherwise try and deter it. However, it has some shortcomings, notably with some faeries and stronger steel types.

Enter Gardevoir, who works well in conjunction with Absol in almost every aspect. It can snag some KOs against weakened mons, and has the advantage of being naturally pretty strong. Of course, it also has a pretty diverse supporting movepool, something that the Disaster Pokemon can take advantage of pretty easily.

If it gets worn down, Gardevoir can pass a Healing Wish to it, but a move I much prefer is Memento so that stuff that might do some serious damage to Absol gets neutered with little effort, and that can force some switches where it'll go for the Swords Dance. Or even better, Memento into a Dark Move so that it gets a +3 with SD and proceeds to kill everything. Overall, Garde loves to support Absol in his sweeps.

A good teammate for this core would probably be something like Lucario, filling out a Psychic / Dark / Fighting kind of core, which has plenty of fun with slower and faster mons alike.

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Reserving MDoom
Late but here we are!

Gardevoir and Mega Houndoom

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

(Houndoom-Mega) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond / Flame Charge

Another simple core here. Gardevoir usually has trouble with bulky Steel-types like Metagross, Bronzong, Doublade, etc. Houndoom is the perfect partner for Choice Scarf Gardevoir, as Houndoom can take out all of Gardevoir's checks early- to mid-game for a late-game clean by Choice Scarf Garde. Scarf Gardevoir can also take out many Houndoom checks, such as Hydreigon, so Mega Doom has the potential to sweep as well. But yeah, pretty perfect Offensive Synergy with these 2 mons!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)