Undiscovered Types [PLAYABLE on Galaxy Server!]

SLATE 2 WINNERS
Cloyster (+Shellder) (by Slawth13)

Water/Ice (+Water)-> Poison/Ice (+Poison/Water)
+ Poison Sting, Sludge, Sludge Bomb, Cross Poison, Sludge Wave
- Clamp, Whirlpool, Brine
Pros: Has a STAB options for hitting bulky waters, breaks Fairies easier, immune to Toxic, absorbs Toxic Spikes, neutral to Fighting
Cons: Gains new weaknesses including Fire, can't utilize Hydro Pump on mixed sets very efficiently
(I added Shellder for consistency, no real impact)

Eelektross (+Eelektrik, Tynamo) (by Swagodile)

Electric -> Electric/Poison
+ Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Poison Jab, Poison Fang
Pros: Gains additional resistances, has new STAB options, immune to x4 weakness
Cons: Has an actual weakness now, Mold Breaker Earthquake will destroy it
(I added Eelektrik and Tynamo for consistency, no real impact)

Weezing (+Koffing) (by The Reptile)

Poison -> Poison/Fire
+ Overheat, Solar Beam
Pros: Immune to both DoT status effects, x4 resists Fairy + Grass + Bug, immune to x4 weakness (again)
Cons: Gains Stealth Rock + Scald weaknesses, Mold Breaker Earthquake will destroy it (again)
Feel free to discuss the impact of these new additions to the metagame below. I think this slate will lead to some great things. Weezing and Eelektross have really neat types combined with Levitate, allowing them to wall some Pokemon easier than ever before. Eelektross notably hard-walls Mega Pinsir unless it carries Mold Breaker in normal form and Earthquakes on the switch. Weezing's three x4 resistances are pretty damn cool, allowing it to deal with Serperior (especially those lacking Dragon Pulse) and Scizor. The Heatran-esque double status immunity is also pretty great, so I think it should see some use in the metagame. Cloyster is the least changed, but considering how little it used Water STAB, any alternative is probably an upgrade. Being able to set and absorb Toxic Spikes helps too.

SLATE 3 VOTING

Time for the third voting stage! PM me (don't post it in the thread please) three choices for each of the type combinations, and then give each choice 1-3 points. You have one +3, one +2, and one +1 to give for each type. Just list the submission name under the type, and give it the points in parenthesis like so:

Ghost + Normal: Shuppet/(Mega) Banette (+3), Porygon-Z (+2), Castform (+1)
Ghost + Rock: Cubone/Marowak (+3), (Mega) Sableye (+2), Cofagrigus (+1)
Ghost + Fairy: Misdreavus/Mismagius (+3), Spritzee/Aromatisse (+2), (Mega) Gardevoir (+1)

What you're actually voting for is subjective, but try to focus on things that are actually fitting first, then consider which ones a particularly cool and/or viable. Here are the valid submissions by type:

Name(s): Cubone and Marowak
Type: Normal / Ghost
Justification: We all know the story of Cubone and Marowak. Team Rocket kills a Marowak, leaving it's baby Cubone to live by itself with the memories of Team Rocket killing it's mother, where she becomes a wandering ghost in Lavender town. Cubone's relation ship to wearing it's mother's skull as a memento also justifies its part ghost type (Them being a Normal mons the death of Marowak, where Marowak becomes a Ghost and Cubone wearing it's mothers skull as a memento) I decided to give them a normal type since it made the most sense out of all of the types too give them. Phantom Force, Shadow Sneak, and Shadow Punch are given to these two to give them a Ghost type attack and Shadow Ball is for flavor
New Moves: Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Shadow Punch, Shadow Ball, Phantom Force
Removed Moves: None
Altered Abilities: N/A

Name(s):
Shuppet, Banette, and Mega Banette
Type: Ghost / Normal
Justification: They're based off an abandoned doll, which to me makes sense as part normal (it was a normal doll before being abandoned and turned into a spook). It would also give Banette a much needed boost in viability, giving it a cool defensive and offensive typing. Because adding Normal doesn't really do much movepool wise, I'm going to leave it and its ability unchanged.
New Moves: None
Altered Abilities: None

Name(s):
Stantler
Type: Normal / Ghost
Justification: Pokedex entry: "The curved antlers subtly change the flow of air to create a strange space where reality is distorted." By distorting reality, it makes Normal and Fighting-type moves inaffective against it, as if it were actually a ghost.
New Moves: Shadow Sneak, Phantom Force, Destiny Bond, Night Shade

Name(s): Castform (and formes)
Type: Normal/Ghost (Fire/Ghost for Sunny Form, Water/Ghost for Rainy Form, Ice/Ghost for Snowy Form)
Justification: Castform is based on teru teru bozus, which looks like bedsheet ghosts. It also already gets quite a few Ghost-type moves.
New Moves: Shadow Sneak, Phantom Force, Destiny Bond

Name(s): Regigigas
Type: Normal/Ghost
Justification: Zombie Golem! In a way, the whole Slow Start thing with Regigigas sounds like a zombie rising from slumber if you add the Ghost type to it. Plus the being a Legendary, it has ancient stories and legends associated with it and to me, legends and ghost stories are pretty similar in that they hype something into a supernatural story. Also, it is usually in caves and ruins which are pretty eerie places where Ghosts can reside and has moss growing out of it sort of like a mouldy zombie. It's actually eerie when you think about it and if Golurk the non-legendary golem can be a ghost, I don't see why a legendary pokemon living in ruins can/t be. The added immunity to Fighting, Ghost AND Normal at least gives the golem an easier time switching in, trading it for a single weakness to Dark. Ghost STAB is also better in terms of attacking and can actually hit things for super effective. I thought about adding Shadow Force to its movepool since it's legendary status but I guess Giratina needs its own trademark move while Regigigas also has Crush Grip (lol). Phantom Force will probably do- and I guess it can use up Slow Start turns?
New Moves: Shadow Punch, Phantom Force, Curse, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw

Name(s): Porygon-Z
Justification: This is a popular theorymon, so I'm surprised it hasn't shown up yet. P-Z's Pokedex entries make reference to something going wrong in the upgrading process, causing it to start acting strangely. Based on the description and the animations it has, it almost looks like P-Z is possessed, by a computer virus if not a literal ghost. Look at those eyes and tell me it isn't possessed. Mostly people that wanted this in the past just want great Adaptability dual STAB, but the theory behind it makes sense as well.
New Moves: Hex, Curse, Destiny Bond, Shadow Sneak, Spite

Name(s): Dusknoir
Type: Ghost/Normal
Justification: Dusknoir's always struck me as weirdly different from Duskull and Dusclops -where Duskull is a skull-faced ghost with one eye, and Dusclops is a one-eyed mummy ghost (So two variations on the obviously dead), Dusknoir has become a psychopomp of some kind, albeit still one-eyed. While Normal is often associated with normality, Normal is also the go-to type for when something doesn't quite fit any of the other types... and a psychopomp is something other than just a Ghost, but it's certainly not a Fairy type, Dragon type, etc. So Dusclops puts on its Reaper Cloth and ascends to a better typing!
New Moves: None.
Removed Moves: None.

Name(s): Lickitung, Lickilicky
Justification: Seems like a stretch, yes, but when you think about it, it sorta makes sense? Anyway, they are pretty much the 'licking' Pokemon, and 'Lick' is a Ghost type move. Also, I'm pretty sure in some cultures there are ghosts that lick people, so these Pokemon can be a decent fit.
New Moves: Shadow Punch, Phantom Force, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw

Name(s): Patrat, Watchog
Justification: Random typing time! The reason why these fit Normal/Ghost is because the eyes sort of tell that it has lost it's spirit, leaving a ghostly form. It's bright glowing patterns kinda remind of mysterious lights that would be sometimes be sighted in ghost encounters.
New Moves: Shadow Claw, Phantom Force, Curse, Shadow Sneak, Destiny Bond, Spite

Name(s):
Chingling, Chimecho
Justification: I don't know about you guys, but Chimecho has always felt more like a Ghost-type to me than a Psychic-type. It lives atop Mt. Pyre, a place where Pokemon are buried and where many other Ghost-types can be found, it has a hollow body, and in many cultures bells are often associated with death or the spirits of the dying, as is referenced by the bell atop the Celestial Tower in Unova.
New Moves: Boomburst, Hex, Ominous Wind, Shadow Ball, Confuse Ray, Destiny Bond, Encore, Roar, Sing
Removed Moves: Yawn, Double-Edge

Name(s):
Cofagrigus
Type: Ghost / Rock
Justification: To be honest, when this was first revealed I thought it was going to be Ghost / Rock for sure. It's a sarcophagus (aka its a floating, ghostly stone grave) and you find it in the desert in BW. Sadly, as much as I would like to give it Levitate, Mummy is its signature ability, and it would be wrong for me to remove that. That said, I did give it some Rock-type moves to add to its movepool.
New Moves: Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Power Gem

Name(s): Spiritomb
Type: Ghost / Rock
Justification: It's a ghost imprisoned in a keystone.
New Moves: Stealth Rock, Rock Slide, Stone Edge
Removed Moves: Sucker Punch, Pursuit
Altered Abilities: Infiltrator -> Solid Rock

Name(s): Sableye (and Mega Sableye by extension)
Type: Rock/Ghost
Justification: Sableye's typing never made sense to me. Its jewel motif, on the other hand, really fits Rock type.
New Moves: Rock Throw, Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Ancient Power, Sandstorm
Removed Moves: Feint Attack, Punishment, Foul Play, Quash, Payback

Name(s): Lunatone
Justification: The moon is associated the night and ghosts so I replaced the Psychic typing with the new Ghost types. It keeps the Rock type being a meteorite and the new Ghost type still fits because the Dex talks about its eerie eyes instilling fear to people. Levitate still fits with the Ghost type and still removes the Ground weakness which is handy. Actually, with the new typing it loses the Bug weakness and now resists it and has a better secondary STAB which is more spammable than Psychic especially against Steel switch-ins. It also gains the Normal and Fighting immunities which is a better upgrade and at least it has 1 less weakness overall. In terms of movepool, I removed some Psychic moves (which don't really add much, the stronger ones remains as Ghosts can still use moves like Psychic). I added more Ghost STABs as Shadow Ball is the only current Ghost move.
New Moves: Confuse Ray, Shadow Sneak, Night Shade, Nightmare, Destiny Bond, Curse, Spite
Removed Moves: Confusion, Psywave, Future Sight, Psyshock

Name(s):
Cubone, Marowak
Justification: Doesn't Rock make more sense to represent bone anyway? They have similar hardness, and during the fossilizing process, the bone is replaced with stone, leaving a rock replica of what the bone once was. "Rock Head" is also a default ability on them. The Ghost connection is obvious, given the death motif and the fact that they're found in a literal graveyard. Plus, the first Marowak you fight is a ghost itself. Lightningrod is out because all users of the ability either have some type of horn to draw the electricity or are immune/resistant to Electric already.
New Moves: Head Smash, Rock Blast, Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball, Curse, Shadow Sneak, Destiny Bond, Spite
Removed Moves: Dig, Earth Power, Mud Slap
Altered Abilities: Lightningrod -> Intimidate

Name(s): Relicanth
Justification: How did Relicanth survive for so long? Is it a zombie? It's colouration is almost zombie-like in a way too, and it is possible for Water-weak Pokemon to live in the sea, like the Armaldo family.
New Moves: Shadow Sneak, Destiny Bond, Curse, Shadow Ball, Phantom Force

Name(s): Golem
Justification: While it is a little strange that this is a thing, but it maybe be a possessed being surrounded by rocks. Golem's name is, obviously, based off the Hebrew legend of a inanimate object coming to life. Imagine this Golem was form out of rocks and possessed by a ghost. Therefore, it does make scene that it could be a Ghost type. I replaced Sand Veil with Cursed Body as well, it does not fit.
New Moves: Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak, Destiny Bond, Grudge, Hex, Shadow Punch, Head Smash, Shadow Ball, Ice Punch
Removed Moves: Mud Sport, Magnitude, Earth Power, Brick Break
Altered Abilities: Sand Veil -> Cursed Body

Name(s):
Cranidos, Rampardos
Justification: You know what always really, really bothered me? How Cranidos and Rampardos are the only fossil Pokemon that don't get secondary types. And you have to admit, giving Ghost-type to something that used to be dead does make a degree of sense. While admittedly Ghost doesn't have many Physical moves to go off of Rampardos' 165 base Attack stat, Shadow Claw and Phantom Force hit damn hard, and Shadow Sneak gives the big guy some much needed priority.
New Moves: Shadow Claw, Shadow Punch, Shadow Sneak, Phantom Force, Grudge
Removed Moves: N/A

Name(s): Misdreavus and Mismagius
Type: Ghost/Fairy
Justification: Ghost types are often associated with feminine things and magic, and this evolution line is a perfect example of both of these, especially Misdreavus in the former and Mismagius in the latter. They also both already have access to the move Dazzling Gleam, Hell, Ghost/Fairy Mismagius was even a winner for OU theorymon back in the old thread, and it was a really good mon there. Moonblast is given just to give it consistency for Fairy type moves
New Moves: Moonblast

Name(s):
Shuppet-> Banette-> Mega Banette
Justification: Okay Ghost/Fairy Mismagius is wishlisted everywhere but hear me out for an alternative Ghost/Fairy: Faeries are known to be pranksters and not always considered pure and good right? Well who has the ability Prankster that is also a Ghost type? I'd say Mega Banette can be mischievous enough for a Fairy, although there's a bit of vengefulness mixed in with the Ghost type. Dolls are usually associated with happiness and playfulness that is usually associated with the more common image of Fairy types so when the Ghost part mixes with this it can make for an interesting combination. Also these puppet lines could be plausible hanging around Gym Leader Valerie's dollhouse-themed gym and adds a more menacing image to go with other Fairies like Mawile (who can also be plausible but I guess one submission per member is standard?) Anyway, it can already learn Dazzling Gleam by TM, so I don't see why something like Play Rough is a stretch- and it will have a very useful second STAB to go with the Ghost type with a higher base power, too! Heck, Shuppet looks innocent enough at first so I can see a progression from nicer Fairy moves early on like Play Nice/Baby-Doll Eyes (it has cute enough eyes) then progressing to Play Rough as it evolves. Also, Mega Banette's colour scheme fits the combination of two types well with the black and pink and how nice it would feel for a dragon type to be beaten by a doll!
New Moves: Play Rough, Play Nice, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice

Name(s): Klefki
Type: Fairy/Ghost
Justification: Speaking of possession, Klefki always seemed a bit..."off" to me. Why do you find it on the routes where all the haunted trees and pumpkins are? Continuing the trend of inanimate object Pokemon being the result of spirit possession (Aegislash, Cofagrigus, Banette, Chandelure, Rotom), I think Klefki should be a Ghost type. The sound of rattling metal in the night is a common ghost-story trope, and Klefki is certainly creepy enough to fit the bill. And just because a Pokemon is made of metal doesn't mean it has to be Steel type (Electrode, Rotom-Appliance, etc.)
New Moves: Shadow Ball, Hex, Curse, Destiny Bond, Shadow Sneak, Confuse Ray, Night Shade, Spite
Removed Moves: Mirror Shot, Flash Cannon, Iron Defense

Name(s): Gardevoir, Mega Gardevoir
Justification: Gardevoir seems to be based in part on myriad myths about strange, distant women-creatures that are ghosts or spirits of some kind. The line's presence in the Amorphous Egg Group is particularly conspicuous -most people would expect to find it in Human-Shape with the likes of Alakazam, but instead it's in with most of the Ghosts and a few Poison types, and can even be bred several Ghost-distinctive moves, including Pain Split, Will O Wisp, and Shadow Sneak. Honestly? I'm kind of surprised it wasn't a Ghost in the first place, even with the emotion-sensing horn thing.
New Moves: Spite (Golurk and Hoopa are the only Ghosts that don't get it), Hex, Curse. (The myths I'm thinking of tend to involve Bad Ends for those who follow the spirits -even if Gardevoir is instead ludicrously loyal)
Removed Moves: Future Sight (Dusknoir's line is the only Ghost to get it) and Synchronoise. (Exclusively available to Psychic and Honorary Psychic Pokemon)
Altered Abilities: Trace and Synchronize are replaced with Pressure and Levitate. (Porygon2/-Z are the only non-Psychic Tracers in the entire game, and they are blatant Honorary Psychic in their movepool, while Umbreon is the only non-Psychic Pokemon with Synchronize, which clearly has to do with being Espeon's dark counterpart. Curiously, Telepathy is actually found on several non-Psychic Pokemon, some of whom otherwise have no indication of psychic ability -why does Noivern get Telepathy, anyway? Anyway, Pressure is semi-common on Ghost types and vaguely plausible, while Levitate is, again, semi-common on Ghost types and inspired by the semi-floating effect we see on Kirlia and, in some animations, on Gardevoir itself)

Name(s):
(Mega) Sableye
Justification: Gems in Pokemon are associated with two types; Rock and Fairy. As Ghost/Rock Sableye has been taken, Ghost/Fairy Sableye is justified in a similar way. It is also one of the few Ghost-types to learn Dazzling Gleam, and the only Ghost-type to learn the Fairy-type move Moonlight. It is also a counterpart to Mawile, and would makes sense if they shared a type.
New Moves: Play Rough, Crafty Shield, Moonblast, Baby-Doll Eyes

Name(s): Spritzee, Aromatisse
Justification: Since it may have been based off Plague Doctors, which were seen during the Dark Ages, a time of death, it can be seen as sort of a plague doctor spirit. It sort of fits Dark/Fairy more, but I picked it. Still, in my perspective, it is the spirit of a Plauge Doctor. Spritzee is also a Ghost/Fairy due to being a pre-evolution of it and also the Shiny coloring looks like a flying spirit.
New Moves: Hex, Curse, Destiny Bond, Spite, Confuse Ray, Shadow Ball, Grudge, Night Shade

Name(s):
Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist
Justification: Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist are clearly based on Jack'o'lanterns. While this makes Ghost/Grass make good sense for the two of them, their origin alongside the move Trick-or-Treat ties them directly to Halloween; in fact, Trick-or-Treat's Japanese name is Halloween. While modern Halloween is a holiday full of spooks and specters, the origins of it are deeply rooted in old pagan traditions. Derived from harvest festivals and various other celebrations, many of which included honoring sprites, fae, and other spirits of the forest/harvest. Additionally, Pumpkaboo is said to be a spirit that leads other spirits to the places they belong, similar to a will-o-wisp. Gourgeist is more malevolent in nature, luring victims in with its eerie singing and then capturing them, which is very much in keeping with the old stories of faeries who would kidnap people.
New Moves: Disarming Voice, Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Baby-Doll Eyes, Play Rough, Moonlight, Fairy Lock, Flower Shield

You have one week to send in your votes, after which I will announce the three winners. The deadline is Sunday August 30th at midnight.

Last edited:
SLATE 4: "WEB OF LIES"

The fourth submissions slate has started! Submit Pokemon for the three following type combinations:

Bug + Ice
Bug + Psychic
Bug + Dark

Read the guidelines if you haven't already. If you missed the submission template, here it is:

Name(s):
Type:
Justification:
New Moves:
Removed Moves:
Altered Abilities:

The deadline is one week from now: Sunday August 30th at midnight.

canno

formerly The Reptile

Name(s):
Vespiquen
Type: Bug / Psychic
Justification: I think Bug / Psychic fits well, tapping into the whole "hive-mind" thing - something I feel resonates with Psychic. Of course, this causes a huge influx in its movepool and a change in its ability. Most of them are Psychic-type moves, however, there are two that do not fit at first glance. While not all Psychic-types get Thunderbolt and Focus Blast, it is very common among them - Thunderbolt being more common than Focus Blast. I want peoples opinions on this though - I'd be happy to remove them if people think that its a stretch. As for moves removed, I basically just removed most of the Flying-type moves, bar the ones Combee learns (as I think it should probably stay Bug / Flying - afterall, it is merely a drone and not the queen bee). Finally, to tie in the whole hive mind thing, Unnerve is replaced with Telepathy. In other words - a useless ability was replaced with another useless ability (Doubles not withstanding - its actually kind of really cool there).
New Moves: Calm Mind, Psychic, Psyshock, Zen Headbutt, Stored Power, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast
Removed Moves: Air Slash, Aerial Ace, Acrobatics
Altered Abilities: Unnerve --> Telepathy

Name(s): Dustox
Type: Bug / Dark
Justification: Bug / Dark fits Dustox as it's a moth and they are nocturnal, or only active in the dark and is the same in its pokedex entries. It doesn't look like a poison type to me, and also this doesn't cause any changes to its ability. It looks like the "dark" and ugly counterpart to Beautifly, being spiteful. The dark moves are standard, and the poison moves are poison moves. Venoshock is kept since non-poison types like Butterfree can learn it. I'm considering not removing Sludge Bomb and adding either Competitive or Moxie. Competing with Beautifly or adding Moxie because its a bit common on dark-type mons. For now, Competitive. Still probably shit
New Moves: Dark Pulse, Snarl, Pursuit, Nasty Plot, Switcheroo, Embargo, Taunt
Removed Moves: Sludge Bomb, Poison Powder, Poison Sting
Altered Abilities: Shield Dust ---> Competitive

Also, the "change future evolutions if past type is changed rule" doesn't always exist, such as Gloom ---> Bellossom, Surskit ---> Masquerain, Azurill ---> Marill and
Nincada ---> Ninjask / Shedinja
If this gets changed, Karrablast jumps out as a Bug / Ice type. It probably won't though

Last edited:

picksome

Banned deucer.
Name(s): Mega Beedrill
Type: Bug / Dark
Justification: This bee is extremely evil looking, especially in it's mega.
New Moves: Sucker Punch, Night Slash, Dark Pulse, Quash, Snatch, Megahorn.
Removed Moves: none.

Name: Vivillion (Icy Snow, Tundra, and Polar Patterns)
Type: Bug / Ice
Justification: Vivillion's patterns make it very unique. What about type changes? Bug/Ice fits for these ones.
New Moves: Blizzard, Ice Beam, Hail, Icy Wind, Frost Breath, Ice Shard, Earth Power (Tundra only)
Altered Abilities: None.

Name(s): Venomoth
Type: Bug/Psychic
Justification: This may sound weird, but it may fit more of a Psychic type. Moths can be seen with psychic powers in some storys and the fact it has some Gen1 weird moveset syndromes.
New Moves: Calm Mind, Psyshock, Future Sight, Confusion, Stored Power, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast
Altered Abilities: None.

Also, the "change future evolutions if past type is changed rule" doesn't always exist, such as Gloom ---> Bellossom, Surskit ---> Masquerain, Azurill ---> Marill and
Nincada ---> Ninjask / Shedinja
If this gets changed, Karrablast jumps out as a Bug / Ice type. It probably won't though
The only reason I have that rule is so people know that while they can change any Pokemon, one of the changes needs to be a fully evolved Pokemon. I know it isn't always true in the games, but for the purpose of this project I'm sticking to it.

I'll also post my submissions:

Name(s): Bergmite, Avalugg
Type: Bug/Ice
Justification: Bergmite is named after the mite, and both Avalugg and its pre-evolution look like some sort of creepy-crawly, with the large flat back resembling the shell of various types of beetles and serving a similar purpose. Don't let the number of legs fool you: most Bug types in the series only have four (look it up).
New Moves: Bug Bite, Struggle Bug, Sticky Web, U-turn, Megahorn

Name(s): Butterfree
Justification: Butterfree already learns several Psychic moves via level-up and TM, learning Confusion as soon as it evolves and Psybeam later on. Compared to other butterfly Pokemon like Beautifly, it looks more ethereal and otherworldly, and its French name incorporates the word "illusion". Like many Psychic types, its highest stat is Special Attack, followed by Special Defense.
New Moves: Psyshock, Calm Mind, Stored Power, Reflect, Light Screen, Trick Room
Removed Moves: Gust, Air Cutter

Name(s): Accelgor
Type: Bug/Dark
Justification: Ninjas associate themselves with the darkness, and the boss ninja himself Greninja is Dark type. That aside, just look at this guy! Tell me it doesn't look shady -- its true face is obscured in shadow. It also bothers me that Escavalier gets a dual typing and Accelgor doesn't.
New Moves: Dark Pulse, Knock Off, Nasty Plot, Night Slash, Pursuit, Thief

Last edited:

Name(s): Ninjask
Justification: It's based off a ninja, often associated with the Dark type (see Greninja), and already learns some Dark-type moves. Also, black is one of the main colors of its artwork.
New Moves: Pursuit, Dark Pulse, Knock Off, Shadow Sneak, Memento, Taunt, Switcheroo
Removed Moves: Gust

Name(s): Masquerain
Justification: This one is more difficult. First of all, it comes from a Bug/Water type and for me it makes no sense that such a great type is wasted upon evolution, so at least I would give Masquerain a type related to Water and its head looks like a frozen drop of water. Also, the main color of its artwork is white/light cyan, often associated with Ice type. In addiction, it already learns some Ice-type moves.
New Moves: Powder Snow, Freeze-Dry, Frost Breath, Aurora Beam, Hail
Removed Moves: Gust, Air Slash, Air Cutter
Altered Abilities: Unnerve -> Snow Cloak

and

Name(s): Volbeat and Illumise
Justification: They have Prankster, that is very rare to be seen on Bug types, but less rare in Psychic type (Meowstic), and also they have a very poor amount of status type moves to use. Giving them priority Sleep would give them the possibility to find a spot even in OU.
New Moves: Psychic, Psybeam, Confusion, Calm Mind, Hypnosis, Psyshock, Dream Eater, Extrasensory, Cosmic Power, Trick, Heal Pulse, Ally Switch, Mirror Coat

Last edited:

Name(s):
Spinarak, Ariados
Justification: In the generation they were first released in, Spinarak and Ariados were only available at night, suggesting they are nocturnal. In addition, both can learn a variety of Dark-type moves, including Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Night Slash, AND Foul Play. Bug/Poison is a horribly common type, and Bug/Dark would actually be a somewhat better combination for it, with Bug neutralizing two of Dark's weaknesses instead of just one of Poison's.
New Moves: N/A, Ariados already has a great Dark-type movepool.

Name(s): Surskit, Masquerain
Justification: Lots of people want Masquerain to maintain its pre-evolution's typing, but Bug/Ice would work just as well as Bug/Water for the pair of them. Surskit specifically is known for its sakting ability, which has obvious associations with Ice, and even learns a couple of Ice-type moves naturally in the form of Haze and Mist. When it evolves, Masquerain also has access to some Icy Wind, Ice Beam, and even Blizzard.
New Moves: Frost Breath, Sheer Cold, Aurora Beam, Freeze-Dry, Hail
Removed Moves: Bubble, Bubblebeam, Aqua Jet

Name(s):
Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus
Type: Psychic/Bug
Justification: Alright this one's a bit odd but hear me out. The Solosis line are all based on single-celled organisms, harmful ones of which are referred to as "bugs." In fact Reuniclus is capable of learning Infestation, indeed suggesting that these Pokemon are in fact capable of infecting others! They can also learn Signal Beam, which is admittedly not a rarity among Psychic-types, but still. And even if one considers the pun on bug to be silly, I would like to point out that Game Freak isn't above using puns and bad jokes when designing Pokemon; Heatmor, an aardvark, learns Bug Bite through level-up.
New Moves: Bug Buzz, Silver Wind, Powder

EDIT: Ah, I see I got ninja'd to Masquerain. I'll replace it if I think of something better.

Damn people move fast XD

Name(s): Pinsir
Justification: I don't know about you guys but back then, Pinsir had the meanest and fiercest design for a Bug type and with those intimidating horns and sideways mouth, it's very plausible to see Pinsir as a part-Dark type. Crushing something between the pincers until they're cut in half sounds very Dark type to me. It already learns a few Dark type moves like Knock Off, Thief, Feint Attack and Fling and STAB Knock Off is always welcome. I'm actually surprised it doesn't learn Crunch- those pincers could definitely crunch something into pieces! By extension, I'd give it Bite as well just because look at that mean mouth and tell me a bite from that won't hurt! The added type will also be an interesting opposite to its beetle counterpart Heracross and even if loses initially, it's Mega Evolution can quickly turn the tides against the Bug/Fighting enemy!

That's right, I think I might keep Mega Pinsir Bug/Flying as it is since its wings are so prominent in the design. I supposed it will be a nice surprise when the opponent wants to go for a super effective Bug move only to be thrown off by the Flying type switch during the Mega Evolution.
New Moves: Bite, Crunch, Assurance, Foul Play, Hone Claws, Payback, Night Slash, Pursuit, Sucker Punch

I'm still not 100% sure if I should extend this to Mega Pinsir (Aerilate is like a pseudo-third STAB I guess?) but the Flying type surprise to protect from Bug attacks could still be useful. Also can we add new moves to the original type as well? (i.e. Megahorn to Pinsir, some Dex entries count the pincers as horns so Megahorn is still very plausible). If it's just for new type STABs, then that's understandable as well.

Name(s): Ledian
Justification: Ledian's Dex entry mentions how its power is connected with the stars in the sky (starlight as energy), and as we see with Pokemon like Beheeyem, Deoxys, Lunatone, Solrock and Gothitelle, usually stars/space-related Pokemon are more likely to be Psychic type so it seems plausible for Ledian to be one. It also has a an alien-inspired face design and since Beheeyem the alien-inspired Pokemon is Psychic type. A quick look at Ledian's current movepool also shows a lot of screen-related moves such as Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard which seems pretty Psychic-related.

It can already learn Agility as a Psychic move and Psybeam as an Egg move. I added the usual moves Psychics get from TMs/Move Tutors like Psychic, Trick, Trick Room, Psyshock etc. and also some flavour-related moves like Cosmic Power and Barrier/Mirror Coat/Magic Coat to expand to the screens theme of the current movepool. To also expand on the Baton Pass-directioned movepool I also added Stored Power.

Stat-wise it is also more specially-orientated with a strangely huge Special Defense stat. For some reason Iron Fist was given as a hidden ability which boosts its lowest stat of Attack (base 35!?) and since Psychics aren't known for their fists, I changed it to something more Psychic-related. It didn't really have any useful Flying STABs before anyway so they were omitted. I want to give it Magic Guard to go with its Baton Passer movepool (space-themed Clefairy has it and Psychics like Sigilyph/Alakazam also get it) but if that's too wishlisty maybe Levitate works as a slight nod to its old typing. (Let me know if Magic Guard ain't okay)

New Moves: Psychic, Cosmic Power, Barrier, Trick, Stored Power, Trick Room, Psyshock, Mirror Coat, Power Split, Magic Coat, Gravity, Extrasensory, Hypnosis, Calm Mind, Zen Headbutt
Removed Moves: Aerial Ace, Acrobatics
Altered Abilities: Iron Fist -> Magic Guard/Levitate

->

Name(s): Pineco -> Forretress
Justification: Imagine a winter forest area. Pineco's similarity to pinecones makes me think of how they are evergreen trees that survive intact in winter, and suddenly I could see an image of Pineco living within an Abomasnow and it sort of works when you think of evergreen forests. Actually Pineco has a few visual similarities with Abomasnow and the color scheme is dull enough that it looks like it can be in a frigid area. As for when it evolves to Forretress, all I can think of is a snowball fortress! Its shape looks like a compact, hardened snowball and it looks like a 'cold' pokemon. Imagine icicles or snowballs shooting out of those 'guns'. A cool thing with the type change though is if it has Overcoat, it will still be immune to Sandstorm while preventing powder moves. It still retains Gyro Ball because of round shape and Flash Cannon because Vanilluxe line can learn it.
New Moves: Aurora Beam, Ice Beam, Icy Wind, Mist, Hail, Frost Breath, Blizzard, Haze, Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear
Removed Moves: Heavy Slam

Last edited:

Name(s):
Avalugg (and Bergmite for consistency)
Type: Ice/Bug
Justification: Bergmite has a vaguely insect-like appearance, and it has "mite" in its name.
New Moves: Bug Bite, Attack Order, Defend Order (the reason for this is that Avalugg is said to carry Bergmite around on its back)
Altered Abilities: Own Tempo -> Swarm

Name(s):
Type:
Bug/Dark
Justification: Honestly, it's always bothered me that Drapion abandons the accouterments of its prior form's Poison typing (The stinging tail becomes, essentially, a third arm) while remaining very Bug-like (Shell, claws, resembles some kind of mutant scorpion), and yet it retains its Poison typing rather than its Bug typing. Really? The only thing particularly Poison-ish about it is its coloration, and there's a decent pool of Pokemon that fall well outside the usual range of colors for their typing.
New Moves: None.

Name(s): Elgyem, Beheeyem
Justification: ALIENS! With their exoskeletons and bizarre alien powers and general alien-ness!
New Moves: Bug Bite (No exceptions), Struggle Bug (No fully evolved exceptions), Bug Buzz. (No fully evolved Specially-oriented Bug lacks it)

... yeah all the good stuff was already taken.

I would like to point out that Ice/Bug Avalugg produces a Rapid Spinner that's doubly weak to Stealth Rock. :(

Can't see your image, but I'm assuming it's Delibird. Thing is, Delibird sucks anyway. Avalugg is sufficiently good that it's defining in Inverse. Making it worse seems... unappealing.

I'm not sure of you can reserve, but since it's hard for me to post submissions atm...
Reserving Bug/Dark Mothim

Why am I always late for these things? ;;

Can't see your image, but I'm assuming it's Delibird. Thing is, Delibird sucks anyway. Avalugg is sufficiently good that it's defining in Inverse. Making it worse seems... unappealing.
I mean, Avalugg already sucks in OU anyway. Though if this were Inverse, Bug/Ice would probably be a pretty good typing. But that's irrelevant -- finding a fitting Pokemon comes first and finding a viable Pokemon comes second. Bug + Ice is possibly the worst typing possible in the entire game, so I don't think giving it to a fairly bad Pokemon to make it worse is that much of a loss. We have to give it to something -- might as well be something that fits like Avalugg.
I'm not sure of you can reserve, but since it's hard for me to post submissions atm...
Reserving Bug/Dark Mothim

Why am I always late for these things? ;;
I made this rule a while ago, but yes you can reserve as long as you stick to one reservation at a time, so you're good.

Name(s):
Scyther (Scizor remains Bug/Steel)
Justification: Just because it flies doesn't mean it has to be a Flying-type, as Beedrill, Venomoth, and Volcarona have shown us, and the Pokedex states that Scyther rarely flies anyway, and it is described as being ninja-like in movement. It also learns both Pursuit and Night Slash by level-up.
New Moves: Sucker Punch, Beat Up,
Removed Moves: Air Slash

Anyway, thanks for the clarification Jajoken. :]

Name(s): Mothim
Justification: Mothim is one of the few Bug-types with black coloration, and dex entries state it hunts around at Night, both being associated with the Dark-type. It is also known to steal honey, and the move 'Thief' is Dark-type.
New Moves: Dark Pulse, Knock Off, Pursuit, Snatch
Removed Moves: Air Cutter, Aerial Ace, Acrobatics

Last edited:
Can you include in one of the slates also types that exist only in Uber or LC? (For example Bug/Water or Dragon/Electric) Just to have a wider variety.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Reserving Bug/Ice Reuniclus, unless that's too farfetched. I'd always seen it as a bug-like thing encased in something, like Shuckle. (even though it's most likely based off an Amoeba - which also works out for the bug theory.

Can you include in one of the slates also types that exist only in Uber or LC? (For example Bug/Water or Dragon/Electric) Just to have a wider variety.
I decided this after I wrote the OP, but the final slate will be Steel + Ghost, Dragon + Steel, and Dragon + Ghost. The goal is to have all type combos playable in OU on fully evolved Pokemon, so nabbing Ubers exclusive typings would fit under that banner (Dragon + Electric isn't unique to Zekrom don't make MAmpharos cry ;_;). Bug + Water was always planned to be included in one of the two Bug slates, as it is the only unique typing (that I can find) found on exclusively an unevolved Pokemon.

I decided this after I wrote the OP, but the final slate will be Steel + Ghost, Dragon + Steel, and Dragon + Ghost. The goal is to have all type combos playable in OU on fully evolved Pokemon, so nabbing Ubers exclusive typings would fit under that banner (Dragon + Electric isn't unique to Zekrom don't make MAmpharos cry ;_;). Bug + Water was always planned to be included in one of the two Bug slates, as it is the only unique typing (that I can find) found on exclusively an unevolved Pokemon.
(Sorry about Zekrom) If I don't go wrong, Nincada's Bug/Ground typing is also unique.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)