Unfezant (GP 2/2)

[Overview]
-The exceedingly poor man's Swellow
-By that, I mean its honestly quite outclassed in many areas
-Very similar movepool to Swellow's except...
-doesn't even get Drill Peck, let alone Brave Bird
-Hypnosis
-Very high Speed for NU
-Awesome ability in Super Luck, if and when you attack

[Set]
Set Name: Support
Move 1: Hypnosis
Move 2: Taunt
Move 3: Return
Move 4: Roost
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Super Luck
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
-Hypnosis is Unfezant's main niche against the other Normal/ Flying types, being able to completely shut down an opponent's poke
-Taunt is another thing it has, being able to cripple walls and set-up pokes after something has been put to sleep
-Return is your main way of doing damage, albeit not very much with little investment
-Roost gives you a nice form of recovery

[Additional Comments]
-Toxic can be used to cripple walls not named Amoonguss or Weezing
-Pluck can be used as an alternate attack if you like stealing the rare Berry
-Wish can be used as more support, but it is illegal with Hypnosis

[Other Options]
-Unfezant can run a CB set, but its outclassed by Dodrio and Swellow
-It can set up Rain/ Sun if you want it to
-Tailwind
-Wish is a great support move, but it is sadly illegal with Hypnosis

[Checks and Counters]
-Rock types, especially Regirock, absorb anything Unfezant can dish out
-Almost any physical wall can stop Unfezant as well
-Unfezant's tiny bulk means it takes major damage from almost anything
-Stealth Rock

Write-up, awaiting GP checks:
[Overview]
<p>With high Attack and a
solid base 93 Speed, one would think thatUnfezant would be a daunting attacker in the NU tier. However, it faces stiff competition from the likes of Swellow, Braviary, and even Dodrio, rendering this bird outclassed in most roles. However, Unfezant occupies an interesting niche in its access to Hypnosis and Taunt, as well as a great ability in Super Luck. While the pigeon's attacking movepool may be lacking options such as Brave Bird and Drill Peck, it has the right moves as a support Pokemon toearn itself a place on a team.<p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Hypnosis
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Return
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
ability: Super Luck
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>
This set aims to use the unique qualities that only Unfezant possesses: the combination of Hypnosis, good support moves, a great ability, and high Speed. Even though Hypnosis has shaky accuracy, it will incapacitate an opponent's Pokemon when it does hit. Taunt is another trick that this pigeon has up its sleeve, allowing it to cripple walls and stop possible attempts to set up. Unfezant's Return does not hit as hard as some other birds' in the tier, but it does serve the purpose of saving Unfezant from becoming complete Taunt bait. Roost is for recovery, dramatically increasing Unfezant's lifespan and usefulness in battle.<p>

[
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Unfortunately, Unfezant suffers from Four Moveslot Syndrome. A set like this would appreciate Toxic to provide some residual damage, but the moves listed are usually more important. Toxic contradicts the main reason to use Unfezant, Hypnosis. Unfezant has another STAB option in Pluck, but Berries are so rare that it is pointless to run it over Return. Wish, though an excellent support move, is illegal with Hypnosis and by far an inferior option on this Pokemon.<p>

[Other Options]

<p>Because of Unfezant's stats, a Choice Band set seems to be the most viable option. Unfortunately, such a set would be better off run on Swellow, Braviary, or Dodrio. Unfezant also has access to Rain Dance and Sunny Day, aiding sweeps from Pokemon such as Gorebyss or Victreebel, respectively. Furthermore, Unfezant can use the somewhat gimmicky Tailwind, but it is very hard to utilize. A Wish set is usually avoidedbecause it renders the bird unable to use Hypnosis, which is by far the biggest incentive of using Unfezant.<p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As Unfezant is a support Pokemon, Taunt is always a large threat. Fortunately, due to Unfezant's high base Speed, it is surprisingly difficult to Taunt it. However, its weak defenses means that it is forced out by almost everything once Sleep Clause is activated. Although Unfezant is granted immunity from Toxic Spikes, Toxic severely hampers its performance. Unfezant's Flying typing also brings the wing-clipping weakness that is Stealth Rock, and the rarity of rapid-spinners in NU makes this problem worse.<p>

breh

強いだね
don't mention aerial ace at all; after snover moves up, mentioning it will be 100% pointless.

support is awful and it's a doubles set. don't use it.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Slash Quick Attack somewhere on the set. Mention Hypnosis in OO, or even AC. It's one of Unfezant's distinguishing draws.

Also, a SubRoost set with Life Orb is actually pretty good. Damn shame it's not a Brave Bird, but oh well. Here:

[SET]
name: SubRoost
move 1: Return
move 2: Pluck
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Roost
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly for outspeeding Rotom, which allows Unfezant to block Volt Switch and WoW with Sub.

Unfezant is actually quite good IMO. It's no Braviary, but it does have decent stats.

Unfezant

[SET]
name: One Shot Pistol
move 1: Sky Attack
move 2: Return
move 3: U-Turn
move 4: Taunt
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly/Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

I think you get the idea. A stab Sky Attack with double the increase in critical hit chance and possible flinch hax. The rest of the set is flexible and can fit whatever your idea of a mediocre sweeper like Unfezant should have. It's not the best set, but it's very fun.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band is completely outclassed by Swellow and Braviary (and probably even Pidgeot) so I don't think anyone's really going to use it. Our best bet is probably some retarded-stall breaker set since Unfezant does have a decent support movepool, and almost no-one will see it coming...

Set name: Superfly
Move 1: Return
Move 3: Toxic
Move 4: Roost / Wish

Base 91 speed outspeeds almost all of the tier's walls (other than max speed Miltank) and thus Unfezant can start some annoying. Toxic things to kill them, Taunt things to annoy them, and Roost when you can for recovery. Return is pretty good STAB for a defensive mon (although you get completely shut down my Mganeton) and at least you get instant recovery in Roost (as well as immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes) Wish lets you provide team support if you somehow force a switch. Fit Hypnosis anywhere you want. :p

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
actually, in a way the stallbreaker is outclassed by murkrow.

not much unfezant can do :<

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, it's probably outclassed by Golbat too. But it does get a high powered STAB Return, which does about the same damage as Golbat's Brave Bird and maybe even Murkrow's, whilst not giving recoil. And it's the only Normal / Flying that can do this. It's small, but it's not like the Choice Band set which is purely outclassed by other Normal / Flyings. :p

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
well, pidgey DOES give unfezant some competition

unfezant for worst flying type xD

in all seriousness, the subroost set is the best its got, imo i think that should be added

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
OK EVERYONE CLAM DOWN

I get that Unfezant is horrible. I get it doesn't even have Brave Bird. But the only person to mention the ONE niche it has over all the other Normal/Flying types was Ice-eyes: it gets Hypnosis. Hypnosis should be at least slashed on its sets, if not a main option on an annoyer type set. Even though it only has 60% accuracy, it can still cripple an unsuspecting Rotom/Eelektross/Regirock/etc for basically the entire match. I'm not saying its not a terrible Pokemon, but at least play to whatever strengths it has.

SubRoost is terrible, don't bother. CB is OO at best. That Sky Attack set isn't even OO. The set should look something like erisiascape's set:

With Toxic and Pluck in AC.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Slash Quick Attack somewhere on the set. Mention Hypnosis in OO, or even AC. It's one of Unfezant's distinguishing draws.
I mentioned Hypnosis in my last post???

Also, are the Band and subRoost sets being dropped because they're outclassed by Braviary and Dodrio, or because they're bad? If it's a matter of being outclassed, the sets should be mentioned in OO, but stressed that there are better Pokes for the job.

breh

強いだね
hypnosis is not a niche; it's a shitty move that nobody uses except on OU politoed on rare occasion. I'm not sure, but I think that Ice-eyes was joking, at least based on the fact that he used italics.

that that set is 100% useless once it sleeps something (or once something with paralysis / burn / toxic switches in) is not a good thing. at least the CB set can slowly wear down walls, lol.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Actually it was more 'hey, you idiots, you failed to notice Unfezant's only viable niche (which is actually not that bad) whilst raging about how outclassed it is' italics.

I'm 100% behind Tennisace on this one.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If the set is 100% useless when/if it sleeps something then at least it did something? CB is silly when you have Dodrio in the tier, a quick mention in OO that it can use Choice Band as an item is all it needs.

...the ONE niche it has over all the other Normal/Flying types was Ice-eyes: it gets Hypnosis...
Noctowl! D:

If the above set does get added, there's no point slashing Wish because Hypnosis + Wish are an illegal combination. Wish is passed on by either Togetic or Natu, neither of which learn Hypnosis (Natu probably should, but whatever).

breh

強いだね
as far as I know, the policy on 100% outclassed mons is that they get sets based on what they can do well. frankly, a lackluster subroost set is worse than a mediocre CB set.

Goddamn me, why haven't I been active in C&C @_@

Anyways tennis, I put in that set, took down CB and Sky Attack set. Anything else?

tennisace

Didn't realize Wish + Hypnomiss was illegal, just a quick line in OO mentioning that and you're good to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)