Unique Strategys And Movesets

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Over the past months ive been conducting many new (and some not) movesets and strategys. Some have worked well and some flopped or were too situational. I'll be listing some of my findings (as well as some that may have been found and havent been implemented in the dex for some reason (apparently stupidity being one of them) here to share with everyone (and others can share theirs too) to help diversify the metagame. I can honestly say i have the most fun playing when im using different movesets (especially when said movesets work XD).

Zangoose (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) or
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flail
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Shadow Ball

This is a nice set, especially for those jolteon or ninjask leads. STAB+CB+Quick Attack will usually 2hko them both, far before they are able to set up anyone. Frustration for a powerful STAB and shadowball for Ghosts. Flail is a nice surprise when you HP gets low. Even if you dont get to the lowest breakpoint (the 200 power section) the 150 section will be far better than frustration. If tyranitar come out, its sandstorm whill whittle down your hp, only making your attack more powerful.

Primeape (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt

Specialape. This a recent set of mine and has apparently been getting some grief. This is best used during the end of a battle when your opponents pokemon are weakened. This guy just rushes in and cleans up. Be careful when you use overheat since after that your other attacks will be weakened, except cross chop with its splendid and still decent attack.

LVL 1 Smeargle (M) @ Quick Claw
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: None
Serious Nature (Neutral)
- Dragon Rage
- Endeavor
- Spore
-(Filler)

DO NOT RELY ON QUICK CLAW. This is best used when baton passed substitue (hopefully 101) and in conjuction with Sandstream. A lvl 1 Smeargle has 12 HP. Dragon Rage (for sandstorm immune pokes) does 40 damage. This tactic will KO any pokemon. This Smeargle is very fragile so use with caution.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Drill Peck
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Spikes

Magneton Killer. Agilty first turn. If Magneton shows up, your faster and hp ground ohko's it. You're free to spike away or take advantage of other pokemon when your attacks.

2V2

- Flail/Quick Attack
- Frustration
- False Swipe
- Shadow Ball

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Band or Salac Berry
Trait: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
00 HP AND DEF IV's
- Mach Punch
- Reversal
- Filler
- Filler

This can catch some teams offguard. If you know your opponents are faster, use your STABed priority moves. The real key to this strategy is false swipe. False swipe wil always leave you opponent with at least 1 HP. Let Zangoose use False Swipe on Hitmonlee to reduce its hp to 1 while it unleashes its STABed+CB+200 base power Reversal. This is a good way to instantly take out an opponent or two.

Atlas said:
Over the past months ive been conducting many new (and some not) movesets and strategys. Some have worked well and some flopped or were too situational. I'll be listing some of my findings (as well as some that may have been found and havent been implemented in the dex for some reason (apparently stupidity being one of them) here to share with everyone (and others can share theirs too) to help diversify the metagame. I can honestly say i have the most fun playing when im using different movesets (especially when said movesets work XD).

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) or
- Flail
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Shadow Ball

This works like it should.

Primeape (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt

This guy sucks imo, it's Special Attack is too low, Overheat will only weaken you and disable it's ability to "late game sweep"...honestly saying something works in late-game is usually covering up it can't hurt high-health Pokémon. Gengar and friends do this much better.

LVL 1 Smeargle (M) @ Quick Claw
EVs: None
Serious Nature (Neutral)
- Dragon Rage
- Endeavor
- Spore
-(Filler)

Lol good luck.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
- Agility
- Drill Peck
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Spikes

HP Ground Skarmory sucks and this one can't phaze.

2V2

- Flail/Quick Attack
- Frustration
- False Swipe
- Shadow Ball

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Band or Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
00 HP AND DEF IV's
- Mach Punch
- Reversal
- Filler
- Filler

Nice idea, though I don't like being stuck using False Swipe.
I admit that there is some funny and nice ideas in there but most of it is just too crazy...

I would love to see that Smeargle work, it would be so sweet.
I would remove the Choice Band from the 2x2 guys and fix Evs but it is a nice idea anyways, I liked it :)

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
YU-RI-OH! said:
I would love to see that Smeargle work, it would be so sweet.
I would remove the Choice Band from the 2x2 guys and fix Evs but it is a nice idea anyways, I liked it :)
zangoose needs the choice band to get lee to 1 hp. without it itll only hit the 100-150 base power range.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Metagross @ Leftovers ** Metagross
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 212 HP / 52 Def / 246 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Meteor Mash
- Psychic/Hidden Power
- Pursuit
- Thunderpunch

Sure it gets owned by full-health Magneton, but the same argument can be used for the Choice Band version. Especially useful against Gengar or a Choice Bander that has just used a Normal/Flying/Rock attack, switch it in and Pursuit as they try to switch out. I've even considered HP Bug over Psychic to make this thing the perfect Celebi counter. Or any other special-based Hidden Power that may cover a weakness you have. Enough HP and Defense to survive a hit by Adamant Dugtrio, of course.

I use that set it straight rocks :D

I used like 76 HP though, 44 attack 156 defense and 224 special attack with quiet. Not much of a difference, but that set kicks total ass.

Syberia I've been testing a similar set to that, but with HP grass over Psychic/HP Bug with max spatk and Quiet/Rash. I would have to say I've killed about 10 Swamperts with it.

Metagross @ Leftovers ** Sven
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 136 Atk / 20 Def / 4 Spd / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit

I did better EVs before but forgot to save it however these ones are ok. I also tested Thunderpunch over Eq for a while.

For Smeargle, Use the standard lv 100 w/ Sub as a filler if to see if there is a sleep absorber and to whittle down life. Use min HP, Max Speed and SpD and set the HP DV to 00, Using Seismic toss @ Salac

Bugsy23

"Lets go to sleep in Paris, and wake up in Tokyo"
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Focus Punch
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

A moveset I first used on a modded server but then translated to Smogon. T-Wave is nice to paralyze a switchin not named Swampert(and the obvious others immune to T-wave)who can be met with Toxic. I used this in conjuction with Gengar and various spikers to force switches and get some cheap shots in whenever possible. It's pretty cool imo.

EDIT: I have some other pokemon I like to use that I may as well list too:

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 140 HP / 96 Atk / 96 Def / 84 Spd / 92 SDef
- Cross Chop
- Rest
- Rock Slide
- Sleep Talk

I'm not sure if the Evs are exactly as before since I have a new computer, but this pokemon survived a lot of attacks while hitting back with pretty good power. ST combined with Guts really helped out a lot, along with that massive Hp that Hariyama has.

Muk (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 200 HP / 84 Atk / 76 SAtk / 148 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Explosion
- Fire Blast
- Focus Punch
- Sludge Bomb

My Skarmbliss killer of sorts. Fire Blast 2HKO's Skarm iirc while Focus Punch and Sludge Bomb will hurt almost everything that FB doesn't. Explosion because it gets me out of jams and rids me of annoying pokemon at times.

Aipom (M) @ Leftovers ** Aipom>Primeape
Trait: Run Away
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Return
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave

*ParaFusion Aipom,Based in luck...very fun,a killer x).

Seaking (M) @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 Spd / 150 SAtk
- Megahorn
- Rain Dance
- Substitute
- Surf

*Substitute for Thunder wave´s or Sleep powder´s,Megahorn OHKO all psychic pokemon escept Slowbro..emm...lugia,lol.

Relicanth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 70 HP / 228 Atk / 176 Def / 36 SDef
- Amnesia
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Rock Slide

*No-CB Relicanth,Amnesia for de Sdef...a good tank.

Spinda (M) @ Leftovers
- Focus Punch / Return / Double - Edge
- Hypnosis
- Substitute
- Teeter Dance

*Fun x),Kill T-tar with Focus,Return-Double-edge for STAB

Piloswine (M) @ Leftovers ** God
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 90 HP / 16 Atk / 104 Def / 104 SAtk / 196 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

*Good stats,sexy double STABed attacks.

Kingler (M) @ Leppa Berry
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 220 HP / 94 Def / 196 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Amnesia
- Guillotine
- Harden
- Rest

*Hax.

Cacturne (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 10 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spd
- Endure
- Destiny Bond
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Focus Punch

*If D.Bond fail use focus punch =P.

Aggron (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 246 HP / 172 Atk / 92 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Iron Defense
- Counter
- Double-Edge
- Rock Slide

*With +2 Def a EQ with 600 Atk = 56%-66%

And 56%-66% = Counter.

A wish sopport work well.

Dewgong (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 38 HP / 216 Def / 176 SAtk / 80 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Toxic
- Surf / Ice beam

*Work,milotic counter if you wish.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Misdreavus (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 156 HP / 148 Spd / 32 SAtk / 172 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Imprison
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Not exactly original, but can seriously fuck things over. Ice+Electric combo, Ice surprises Gligar in UU. A lot of pokemon rely on HP to damage levitating Ghosts (non-Rock Slide Gligar, Ursaring etc), Imprison stops them cold. HP/Tbolt/Twave is normally three quarters of a typical electric's moveset, and stops Misdreavus from being paralysed.

Hypno (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 164 HP / 132 Def / 212 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Psych Up/Snatch
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
Psych Up goodies and BP them. Snatch might work better though. Damn BP+Wish is illegal. With Wish>Baton Pass you have an arse-annoying tank. Psych Up Calm Minders and beat them up with Seismic Toss.

Sandslash (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Flail
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
Nothing spectacular, but an overlooked Flailer that's immune to Sandstorm. Just kill Gengar/Skarmory beforehand.

I'm fearing a lot of newbies are going to post here a lot of 'original' sets that are either unoriginal and/or useless.

Also this may be obvious but that Primeape set seems like a shitty version of special blaziken.

Bugsy23

"Lets go to sleep in Paris, and wake up in Tokyo"
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Amazing Ampharos said:
So the mod server officially did help the metagame in some way!

Also, hi Bugsy. Long time no see.
Man I've been looking for you. Come on NB sometime at night b/c I still dunno what happened to the mod server when I was gone.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Salac Berry
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Reversal
- Rock Slide

Dunno if this has been used yet >_>

i made up a set last night that i think is original(well, partly origninal) and i havn't tested yet so it might be useless

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Atk / 34 Spd//the evs and natures probably arent very good
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
a physical version of boah basically. i dont think anyone has used a physical version before but it should work better because its based of ttars higher physical attack.

t-wave/rock slide/sub/focus punch is an old Aggron set I like on Regirock and Tyranitas as well, it works excellently.

I don't like Rock Slide/Subpunch/EQ, honestly you beat nothing with it that any of the 3 standard Tyranitars couldn't...and if you want to bluff a Boah and Rock Slide Zapdos in the face, you could still run Dragon Dance, but with Substitute over Taunt.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Earthslide+Fighting isn't a very good combination, because they all get walled by Flygon/Claydol and bulky Waters shit all over you.

well in general wouldn't bulky waters shit all over you regardless of what 2 phsyical atks you have? unless we wanna hope for a flinch every turn =/

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
??? (forgot nature) Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Triple Kick
- Rest
- Rock Slide

Special wall Top. This is my first ever set that I've made completely on my own, so I'm sure it needs work. I was looking for a Fighting-type special wall and this seems like the best choice. Defense EVs to help its resistance to Flying-type moves (In that case, I should just use Rock Slide, but whatever). Bulk Up is there to strengthen it on the physical side, and RS and TK away. Rest when you're on low health.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)