Unneeded things in pokemon!

As others have said, I think IVs are the most unneeded feature in the whole series. It's very annoying how I can't really use some certain legendary Pokemon competitively and I can tell you it wasn't fun to spend over 4 days just to breed a 31/31/+21/-/+21/31 Gible in Pokemon White before knowing RNG abuse.

Though, I think Pokemon X and Y did them correctly for the most part. Maybe they should introduce a ''IV Capsule'' as a reward along with Shiny Charm for completing the Pokedex where you can control any Pokemon's IVs?

Sadly, I don't think GF will ever do away with IVs because of the incompatibility issues between previous generations. I can't even imagine how much of a coding nightmare that would be.

I'd love it if we were given skill points to spend on stats or unique traits every 10 or so levels, though, like a traditional RPG.

Aside from the obvious *cough*IVs*cough*, the ability to remove HMs without a move deleter would be a good thing. Remember, HMs are infinite use, so they can easily be put back on.

EDIT: Sorry if it sounds confusing

Sadly, I don't think GF will ever do away with IVs because of the incompatibility issues between previous generations. I can't even imagine how much of a coding nightmare that would be.

I'd love it if we were given skill points to spend on stats or unique traits every 10 or so levels, though, like a traditional RPG.
That feature exists already in the form of level-up moves...

I mean more along the lines of D&D style skills, feats, and talents. Perhaps even additional, unlockable ability slots so some Pokemon can have two abilities at the same time.
Lol, 2 abilities at the same time would make a lot of people quit. Imagine an Adaptability + Download Porygon-Z.

252 S. Atk Modest Porygon-Z with Adaptability, Choice Specs, at +1 deals 234-276 damage to 252HP/252 Sp. Def. Calm Florges, or 65-76.7% for a 2HKO.

Just imagine other things, like Cinccino with both Technician and Skill Link, or Breloom with Poison Heal and Technician, or Azumarill with Huge Power and Sap Sipper. Yeah, 2 abilities would be OP for sure.

EDIT: Lol at Simple + Moody Bibarel

Don't forget Sand Force+Sand Rush Excadril or Levitate+Heatproof Bronzong.

Also laugh at Moody Technician Smeargle sweeping teams with moves like Bite and Power-Up Punch.

The most useless thing in the game is the Ring Target. I suppose it's so you can get that special attack boost on a Lightningrod Rhyperior, right?

Also, Zygarde's signature move, Land's Wrath. It's literally just a weaker version of Earthquake, the only advantage being that it doesn't hit your partner in doubles. Which I suppose is something, there are many moves and pokemon designed only for doubles.

Lol, 2 abilities at the same time would make a lot of people quit. Imagine an Adaptability + Download Porygon-Z.

252 S. Atk Modest Porygon-Z with Adaptability, Choice Specs, at +1 deals 234-276 damage to 252HP/252 Sp. Def. Calm Florges, or 65-76.7% for a 2HKO.

Just imagine other things, like Cinccino with both Technician and Skill Link, or Breloom with Poison Heal and Technician, or Azumarill with Huge Power and Sap Sipper. Yeah, 2 abilities would be OP for sure.

EDIT: Lol at Simple + Moody Bibarel
Well obviously GF would have to balance it before introducing them. :P For instance, it doesn't make much sense that something like Beedrill doesn't have Levitate, so he could have the option to have either Swarm + Levitate or Sniper + Levitate. Ridiculous combos like Adaptibility + Download shouldn't be allowed. Really, I'd just like to see GF advance the Pokemon franchise into more traditional RPG trappings.

This is unrelated to the topic though, so to prevent the thread from getting completely derailed: I think Heliolisk getting his Normal subtype without the ability to learn Hyper Voice was a complete waste.

Also, Zygarde's signature move, Land's Wrath. It's literally just a weaker version of Earthquake, the only advantage being that it doesn't hit your partner in doubles. Which I suppose is something, there are many moves and pokemon designed only for doubles.
I would have loved it if it hit twice like bonemerang, on all opponents in doubles.

Soul Dew is an unnecessary thing for a strange reason. It is so overpowered that it is banned everywhere and can never be used. If I could change how the item works I'd make it so that it boosts SpA if attached to Latios, or SpD if attached to Latias. Still powerful, but maybe not to the point of being totally broken.

-The three elemental monkeys. I don't think any Pokémon are as unanimously hated as those three...
They could've just created a normal Pan**** that evolved either into a normal/(fire/water/grass) Simi**** but no, they didn't...
-Signature moves that are super weak/useless. The games are getting seriously bloated with all these moves. Did Greninja really need another signature move in Mat block?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Did Greninja really need another signature move in Mat block?
One Completely Free Turn For All Your Fielded Pokémon: The Move? Hell yeah! Try to get anywhere far in Battle Whatever Triples without it, I dare you.

I get what you're trying to say, but Greninja's Mat Block might not be the best example to use. As far as unneeded secondary signature moves go, Porygon's Conversion2 might be up there.

One Completely Free Turn For All Your Fielded Pokémon: The Move? Hell yeah! Try to get anywhere far in Battle Whatever Triples without it, I dare you.

I get what you're trying to say, but Greninja's Mat Block might not be the best example to use. As far as unneeded secondary signature moves go, Porygon's Conversion2 might be up there.
There's a better one: Egg Bomb in Chansey.

Well at least everyone complaining about IVs can rest easy knowing the bottle caps in S/M will fix bad IVs, which I believe to be much better solution than removing IVs as a whole :)

Gen 2/HGSS' Whirlpool immediately comes to mind.
You already have two Water HMs in Surf and Waterfall, why add another? At the very least when Gen 3 and 5 had a third Water HM (Dive) that allowed for whole new areas to explore. Whirlpool is pretty much just the equivalent of Cut or Rock Smash - an obstacle to remove and get past. I swear it only exists so you can't go to the Whirl Islands early.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
-The three elemental monkeys. I don't think any Pokémon are as unanimously hated as those three...
They could've just created a normal Pan**** that evolved either into a normal/(fire/water/grass) Simi**** but no, they didn't...
-Signature moves that are super weak/useless. The games are getting seriously bloated with all these moves. Did Greninja really need another signature move in Mat block?
And the fire monkey came last in General Elections, with zero votes.

I don't know if this is a new one but Unown. Unless Game Freak magicly decides to reward the player for collecting those things instead of telling you "Good job for wasting your time!" like maybe buffing your Shiny Finder or give maybe give you a time machine that lets you access old Pokemon Events (ok, that is scretching a bit but who cares I want a V-Create Victini), I see no reason for that to exist.

Though, since Wishiwashi, or whatever that fish that turns into a big fish is called, came out, I want a similar abilities for Unown for some reason, maybe with a bigger buff such as Movepool depending on IV distribution or Nature...

#MakeUnownRelevant

I don't know if this is a new one but Unown. Unless Game Freak magicly decides to reward the player for collecting those things instead of telling you "Good job for wasting your time!" like maybe buffing your Shiny Finder or give maybe give you a time machine that lets you access old Pokemon Events (ok, that is scretching a bit but who cares I want a V-Create Victini), I see no reason for that to exist.

Though, since Wishiwashi, or whatever that fish that turns into a big fish is called, came out, I want a similar abilities for Unown for some reason, maybe with a bigger buff such as Movepool depending on IV distribution or Nature...

#MakeUnownRelevant
At least on Super Mystery Dungeon, a motivated Unown doubles the amount of experience the party gets in a dungeon, and since all Unown count as different Pokemon, the chance of getting a motivated Unown is likely (not sure about some permanent formes) 29 times higher than any other Pokemon.

They still suck anyways.

But an ability similar to Wishiwashi would make sense. The series has pointed out several times that Unown is extremely powerful when on groups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)