Unova Classic

Aww c'mon. You know you want to.

In the vein of "if you're not running stupid shit what's the point", I'm probably bringing my water absorb wide guard Mantyke. If I win even a single match in this it'll be a miracle (I don't do triples) but it's going to be FUN.
See, Arbok has been successful and brings powerful support in a compact Intimidate + Glare + good typing combo, the outright appaling trash I am scheming has never actually succeeded, even ingame, and outside of an opponent attacking their own pokemon, never shall succeed. It will be glorious: 1 win. That is my only goal this comp. One. Fucking. Win. xD

Mantine isn't all that bad tbh, Tailwind + Wide Guard + water immune all in one. Stick it in the corner and watch for Electric moves or strong Rock Slides, lol.

I love not playing VGC16, I don't have to play comps seriously at all, CP is worthless to me. \o/

Well that depends. If you've played Battle Spot Doubles before, a LOT of the Pokemon you've bred for that are pretty good in Triples, and are probably pretty good in this metagame too!
I've been playing VGC for quite some time, ever since Gen IV! I've got quite a few good IV 'mon from back then all the way to Gen VI but they were bred/EVed for either Singles or Doubles VGC. Would my VGC guys work with some tweaks?

I've been playing VGC for quite some time, ever since Gen IV! I've got quite a few good IV 'mon from back then all the way to Gen VI but they were bred/EVed for either Singles or Doubles VGC. Would my VGC guys work with some tweaks?
Ahh, you're talking about mons from Gen IV and Gen V's VGC tournaments? Ahh. Well, as a general Triples player, I guarantee Heatran and Landorus are generally strong in Triples, with their spread moves, good stats, abilities, etc. If you used Cresselia earlier in other tournaments, Cress is also nice here, so Landorus can Earthquake without hitting teammates, and Cress can mess some Pokemon up thanks to Skill Swap.

Ahh, you're talking about mons from Gen IV and Gen V's VGC tournaments? Ahh. Well, as a general Triples player, I guarantee Heatran and Landorus are generally strong in Triples, with their spread moves, good stats, abilities, etc. If you used Cresselia earlier in other tournaments, Cress is also nice here, so Landorus can Earthquake without hitting teammates, and Cress can mess some Pokemon up thanks to Skill Swap.
Gotcha. Unfortunately I am pretty sure the Heatran and Cresselia I caught in those Gen are in no way competitively ready (wrong natures, IVs etc.) so I guess I better look at alternatives.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ewww that prize though, c'mon even N's zoroark would have been a ton better.
Anyway this might be fun, have never ever played triples competitively before so this should be interesting. Is contrary serperior any useful in this format?

Never played Triples before, I'm guessing a semi-trick room team wouldn't work so well. I can see it working in doubles because you only pick four so you don't have to run TR if the matchup isn't favourable. But seeing as this is a full team, would it be a detriment to try building in two directions?

I tested out the anger point krookodile team consisting of: unfezant, krookodile, crobat, scizor, hydreigon, and aerodactyl. This team has done tremendously well. Thanks to unfezant's taunt (and night slash!) and crobat's tailwind, I can beat opposing gimmick teams and even outspeed rain teams. Wide guard on aerodactyl saves lives!!

Mantine isn't all that bad tbh, Tailwind + Wide Guard + water immune all in one. Stick it in the corner and watch for Electric moves or strong Rock Slides, lol.
No no no not Mantine. Mantyke. I wasn't kidding about "team stupid shit". He knows Rock Slide.

So far the only 2 mons I'm definitely bringing are that and Psycho Killer. Cress if I can stop putting it off and get a decent one. If anyone sees a team with Alakazam and Mantyke, das me.

edit: now that we have a showdown ladder I'm gonna see how badly this fails as a plan

I've never played triples before, but Mienshao seems like it could be pretty viable. It learns both Wide Guard and Quick Guard as well as getting access to fake out and a form of recovery in regenerator. The main problem I can see with it is that it has terrible bulk.

I've never played triples before, but Mienshao seems like it could be pretty viable. It learns both Wide Guard and Quick Guard as well as getting access to fake out and a form of recovery in regenerator. The main problem I can see with it is that it has terrible bulk.
Hitmontop has all the above + Intimidate + Bulk. Machamp also has double guards, as does Mr. Mime, but Hitmontop's kinda the best at it. Feint, Sucker Punch (if there's no Pentagon), and Fake Out all have spots too.
I adore Mienshao but a supportive role in Triples isn't the best way to use it unless you REALLY need the Speed and HJK nuke :P

Just a question. If i safeguard in the left slot of a triple battle. are all my pokemon affected of only the left and middle pokemon? Also, are there any extra power reductions on spread moves or is it still 0.75x?

My initial idea was 2 explosion users in the middle slot with ghosts on either side. but I'll probs end up using a tr team. just need to find myself an eruption tran...

Just a question. If i safeguard in the left slot of a triple battle. are all my pokemon affected of only the left and middle pokemon? Also, are there any extra power reductions on spread moves or is it still 0.75x?

My initial idea was 2 explosion users in the middle slot with ghosts on either side. but I'll probs end up using a tr team. just need to find myself an eruption tran...
According to Bulbapedia, Safeguard targets all allies, not just adjacent ones. Spread moves appear to still be 25% reduction.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Triple_Battle#Effect_on_moves

Safeguard targets your own side of the field, so it always protects all of your mons for 5 turns no matter what used it or where it was.

Spread damage is always 0.75x unless its Singles or only 1 target physically exists within range.

Explosion is bad in a meta where Wide Guard is actually exists. You'd have to Feint + Explosion in front of any trio with a possible Wide Guard user.
You can also use your own Wide Guard (in any slot, same as Safeguard) to block your own Explosion for your allies. I've spammed EQ next to my own Wide guard Aegislash before lol

Gotcha. Unfortunately I am pretty sure the Heatran and Cresselia I caught in those Gen are in no way competitively ready (wrong natures, IVs etc.) so I guess I better look at alternatives.
Try looking here: Ubers Giveaway Thread. I've obtained most of my tournament ready legendaries through this giveaway thread, including both VGC and non VGC mons. Special thanks to Theorymon, Most and all the others who help keep this thread alive!

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, was kinda looking for inspiration, and I found it in a certain user's ongoing Maison adventures:

STGW-WWWW-WW4H-7N6Y - #427
YO DAWG I HERD U LIKE TRICK ROOM
...I have found my team for this comp (and I'm not talking about the human trainer's team).

if you want to use explosion, i'd recommend gigalith. and dusclops will help provide trick room and snatch. Snatch will steal guards, tailwinds, safeguards, boosts, etc.

by the way, if you're going to use mienshao, i'd make its ability inner focus. it's much more useful than regenerator as mienshao typically gets knocked out in one hit, so a focus sash is a good item. it wouldn't be good for mienshao to flinch in a fake out battle between faster fake out users like: weavile, liepard, purugly, and opposing mienshao.

Hi all. Long time Smogon lurker but new to competitive battling in general. Gen 6 breeding changes really made it easier to have more competitive Pokemons on cart.

Sinnoh Classic was my first time battling competitively and first time in doubles as well. I've never done Triples before and this should be interesting.

In Sinnoh Classic I tried building a team together without any input (Rotom-W|Arcanine|Garchomp|Scizor|Weavile|Milotic) and as you can see, it had terrible holes in it. In particular, I did terribly against teams with Ludiculo as I lack any good response to it.

I'm currently thinking of a Heatran|Gastrodon|Rotom-W leading core to start with and it looks like Ludiculo will be common in Unova Classic again which is a big weakness my core faces. Any suggestions of a good counter to Ludiculo?

Thanks

Hi all. Long time Smogon lurker but new to competitive battling in general. Gen 6 breeding changes really made it easier to have more competitive Pokemons on cart.

Sinnoh Classic was my first time battling competitively and first time in doubles as well. I've never done Triples before and this should be interesting.

In Sinnoh Classic I tried building a team together without any input (Rotom-W|Arcanine|Garchomp|Scizor|Weavile|Milotic) and as you can see, it had terrible holes in it. In particular, I did terribly against teams with Ludiculo as I lack any good response to it.

I'm currently thinking of a Heatran|Gastrodon|Rotom-W leading core to start with and it looks like Ludiculo will be common in Unova Classic again which is a big weakness my core faces. Any suggestions of a good counter to Ludiculo?

Thanks
Welcome and congrats on graduating from the being a lurker! I did the same thing for many years. lol.

What are you planning on doing with this lead core? I can see you running Storm Drain to draw WTR assaults away from Heatran, but then Rotom-W seems out of place to me.

To answer your question Crobat works very well in triples and gets Brave Bird. Remember that FLY assaults can hit any position on the field. Crobat also offers a lot of utility. Cro's Quick Guard counters Lud's Fake Out. Brave Bird does 51-60% damage to Modest Assult Vest max HP/DEF Lud, so it would be smarter to Super Fang first then hit him with a Brave Bird to avoid double recoil. Scizor can also hit Lud super effectively with Bug moves. Particularly Bug Bite, as 33% of Lud's carry a Coba Berry (13% life orb, 7% Assault Vest) which would hinder Crobats Brave Bird. If you do go with Crobat watch out for Lud's Ice Beam, which can't one shot, but can take out a weakened Bat. Hope this helps.

0- Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ludicolo: 96-114 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 138-164 (71.8 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ludicolo: 168-198 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Thanks T.U.C.!

I started off with Heatran because I lucked out and managed to catch it 5 perfect IVs with the right nature and thought it would be great to use in Doubles/Triples. Storm Drain Gastrodon is a perfect complement to Heatran which like you said draw dangerous water attacks away from Heatran. Given the prevalence of Rain Teams, Gastrodon also serves as a good check with this ability thought Ludiculo again threatens them. That is where I'm starting out from anyway.

I already have a Sword Dance set Scizor ready to go, just need to replace Knock Off with Bug Bite. However, the Crobat suggestion is pretty interesting. Will see how I can fit it in.

Ewww that prize though, c'mon even N's zoroark would have been a ton better.
Anyway this might be fun, have never ever played triples competitively before so this should be interesting. Is contrary serperior any useful in this format?
Yes. To what degree, I have no idea. But, here is why I say yes: Serperior has access to Snatch, Dragon Pulse and Grass Pledge. While the two former moves advantages are obvious, Grass Pledge is actually quite useful in combo with Fire Pledge, and triples is the best format to pull it off imo. I may be a bit biased, because I actually run a Fire Pledge Sun team in Battle Spot Triples, but sadly, It uses MegaZard Y. I also say that Serperior will be good in Unova Classic because 7 of his top 10 threats are banned, making room for Serperior to do his job better.

http://battlespotstats.com/?game=ORAS&season=16&format=Triple#Serperior

Yes. To what degree, I have no idea. But, here is why I say yes: Serperior has access to Snatch, Dragon Pulse and Grass Pledge. While the two former moves advantages are obvious, Grass Pledge is actually quite useful in combo with Fire Pledge, and triples is the best format to pull it off imo. I may be a bit biased, because I actually run a Fire Pledge Sun team in Battle Spot Triples, but sadly, It uses MegaZard Y. I also say that Serperior will be good in Unova Classic because 7 of his top 10 threats are banned, making room for Serperior to do his job better.

http://battlespotstats.com/?game=ORAS&season=16&format=Triple#Serperior
Pledge moves are such a blast, I miss my old Doubles Pledge team every now and again. Char-Y + ChloroSaur + LO Swampert, it was such a fantastic spectacle to behold. Water + Grass is a non-Snatchable, non-Tauntable bomb that halves the opposing team's Speed much like an anti-Tailwind; don't underestimate that. ChloroSaur's Speed lets you pull absurd shit as well, such as outspeeding and OHKOing Scarf Lando-T with Fire Pledge.
I may have to revive that core someday. Triples... I might do it. lol.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been having a lot of success with rain teams in this metagame. Crobat is probably the best Flying-type option, but I've been using Tornadus on this team, and its been doing pretty damn well! It doesn't have that awesome flinch immunity that Crobat has, but the priority Taunt and Tailwind plus the strong Hurricane is pretty nice!

Also, with all the intimidate running around, I'd imagine Braviary still works out with Defiant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)