Unpopular opinions

stage7_4 :
Those first two is the headless horsemen and a rabid Fennekin, YOU CAN'T FOOL ME!

In all seriousness, I'm sure the list of non-Pokemon probably contain a few Fair Folk that'll fit your fancy. ;)
The headless horseman is a dullahan (even if the movie I lifted from was actually just a guy in a costume), but I went with Disney because I worried the others would be too graphic. I wanted to post a Banshee too but google failed to produce anything rated PG in the first 30 hits.

Love the non-Pokemon list though.

The headless horseman is a dullahan (even if the movie I lifted from was actually just a guy in a costume), but I went with Disney because I worried the others would be too graphic. I wanted to post a Banshee too but google failed to produce anything rated PG in the first 30 hits.

Love the non-Pokemon list though.
Wasn't misdreavous a banshe inspired pokemon already?

stage7_4 I think you forgot Mawile.

And adding to the list of missed-opportunities for typing, Yanmega should have been Bug/Dragon and Mega Absol should have been Dark/Fairy.

And so that this post is actually on-topic... I actually really love breeding. Not for the process, but for the feeling of accomplishment when you finally get that 31/31/31/x/31/31 Larvitar in a Dusk Ball with Stealth Rock and Dragon Dance. Because you hung in there, and now you have something awesome.

My 'hell yeah' goes on this guy

And adding to the list of missed-opportunities for typing, Yanmega should have been Bug/Dragon and Mega Absol should have been Dark/Fairy.

And so that this post is actually on-topic... I actually really love breeding. Not for the process, but for the feeling of accomplishment when you finally get that 31/31/31/x/31/31 Larvitar in a Dusk Ball with Stealth Rock and Dragon Dance. Because you hung in there, and now you have something awesome.
Dusk Ball Larvitar? Never heard of it, but it seems cool. ANYWAYS, yes, the accomplishment and all that nice stuff is good, but there are times when you're just fed up. Especially with things like Larvitar

I don't hate it, but I can't see how it has a better design than any of the other great Hoenn pokemon (slaking see below, salamence already has a mega, Metagross already has a mega, milotic this one should get a mega as well, bananasaur lol bananasaur, and why would it get a mega? it's pretty much Hoenn's Bibarel, the HM slave among HM slaves, Armaldo I think that Aero is the only fossil that's gonna get a mega, so no, skarmory this isn't even a Hoenn Pokemon! , etc have much better designs imo, and those are off the top of my head). Flygon isn't particularly unique, it was designed as a dragon of the desert and probably could've had bug typing and still not have been amazing.
Edit: and why the fuck does it get boomburst Pokemon Ruby's Dex entry: To make prey faint, Vibrava generates ultrasonic waves by vigorously making its two wings vibrate. This Pokémon's ultrasonic waves are so powerful, they can bring on headaches in people. FYI Vibrava evolves into Flygoon
You're seriously telling me an Uber sloth that pokes its nose is more interesting than a red-eyed, graceful, lime green mutant dragonfly? Whatever... So much overlooking Flygon I see

Agreed Hoenn has a lot more interesting Pokémon than Garchomp junior. Cradily see Armaldo above, Breloom please no, knowing Troll Freak they'll probably change Technician to Frisk or something, Ninjask I'm pretty sure GF forgot about this one, Shedinja there's just something wrong about a thing that can steal your soul getting a mega... I just can't tell why, Zangoose if Zangoose gets a mega, they'll have to give Seviper one, and Seviper sucks beyond hope off the top of my head I would rather see a mega for along with your list. Why is FLYgon a ground type anyway? You're really trying to apply logic in a videogame world where HWOSA exists?
IT'S NOT GARCHOMP JUNIOR GODDAMIT, Garchomp is the what happens when you try to replicate HWOSA with Sharpedo and Flygon. There's a reason Garchomp was revealed AFTER those two Pokemon

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
Also, I've NEVER taken 4 hours to breed a Pokemon, even when I decided to do it without 6 IV Dittos to see how it feels like (it took me about 2:30 hours to get the Heavy Ball Machop in SS, transfer it, breed EMs into it, and start breeding it until I got a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Jolly one like the one in my spreadsheet, and I had a horrible luck breeding that. But some things can be horrible to breed. Chain egg moves, acquiring the resources such as Pokeballs and EMs, and stupidly long hatch times, not to mention how the RNG is a bitch in Gen 6, all can quickly lead to frustration, even for the most chill players (I myself get pissed off quickly, good thing I got 6 IV Dittos :) ). Even when using help such as 6 IV Dittos, it can still be a pain in the butt, such as my Great Ball Bagon. Taking ages to hatch, HAs not passing down, and acquiring EMs all take a toll on your patience and eventualy you just want to throw your DS out of the window, pick it up, and make a Pokemon. Luckily, I've never reached that far (I just scream in my pillow). And I haven't even gotten into obtaining items. The Battle Maison is too slow-paced to efficiently farm stuff like Weakness Policies and Air Balloons. Or megastones. Luckily in ORAS you can get all megastones 24/7, but for XY players that's not the case. So all that does eventualy lead to frustration.

Codraroll Stop making huge posts, my phone browser just crashed trying to cite you.
Anyways, I saw a point you had there. I think that the 'flawless parent=flawless child' does take away a little of the 'challenge', but the egg-checking is just exactly what I want. A way to just check if you newly-produced egg is optimal would be nice, especially for pseudo-legendaries that just don't want to come out of their fucking eggs. On the subject of eggs, being able to trade them over WT will be nice, too.
Ugh, tell me about it! I'm in my second week breeding for Sturdy Tyrants Tyrunts, and you wanna know what I've learned? I'll tell you: laddering on egg moves is a bitch!
And it is all because only about one in eight of those that I hatch is female, and I've hatched 3 fucking females, and they all had Strong Jaw, even thought the Mother had Sturdy!
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the gender ratio wasn't a piece if shit (like my computer is right now, which is not helping to improve my temper! Right now, it is giving me serious lag, and giving me the fucking spinning wheel of doom).
I swear to god, if I could still use Pokedit, I'd make the Tyrunt that I wanted, and would dictate the fucking IVs myself, and to make things all legal, would then breed her, to make my legal flawless Pentagon Tyrunt, complete with Fire and Ice Fang, and Curse and D-Dance, because that is something that I think the game is fucking unable to do!

The only fucking reason that I'm continuing to crap in my game's cornflakes is just because I have no other fucking alternative. If I had the temper of a Klingon (or a Primeape, not that I would know what a Primeape would be doing playing on a DS), well, lets just say that my 3DS would be on the bottom of the nearby lake. In pieces!

Because, I don't have 4 hours to breed every single fucking day. I have berries to harvest, and legendaries to soft-reset for!

But I've ranted too much, haven't I? Still, I do feel a tiny bit better!

But the point is, if Pokedit were compatible with X/Y/ORAS, and if not for my sense of honor, I would have abandoned this breeding bullshit a long time ago. It gets so frustrating sometimes, not getting what I want, I'll release hatchlings if they don't have the ability or even close to the IVs that I wanted, and just pretend that they ever even existed, rather than WTing them like I usually do!

Ugh, tell me about it! I'm in my second week breeding for Sturdy Tyrants Tyrunts, and you wanna know what I've learned? I'll tell you: laddering on egg moves is a bitch!
And it is all because only about one in eight of those that I hatch is female, and I've hatched 3 fucking females, and they all had Strong Jaw, even thought the Mother had Sturdy!
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the gender ratio wasn't a piece if shit (like my computer is right now, which is not helping to improve my temper! Right now, it is giving me serious lag, and giving me the fucking spinning wheel of doom).
I swear to god, if I could still use Pokedit, I'd make the Tyrunt that I wanted, and would dictate the fucking IVs myself, and to make things all legal, would then breed her, to make my legal flawless Pentagon Tyrunt, complete with Fire and Ice Fang, and Curse and D-Dance, because that is something that I think the game is fucking unable to do!

The only fucking reason that I'm continuing to crap in my game's cornflakes is just because I have no other fucking alternative. If I had the temper of a Klingon (or a Primeape, not that I would know what a Primeape would be doing playing on a DS), well, lets just say that my 3DS would be on the bottom of the nearby lake. In pieces!

Because, I don't have 4 hours to breed every single fucking day. I have berries to harvest, and legendaries to soft-reset for!

But I've ranted too much, haven't I? Still, I do feel a tiny bit better!

But the point is, if Pokedit were compatible with X/Y/ORAS, and if not for my sense of honor, I would have abandoned this breeding bullshit a long time ago. It gets so frustrating sometimes, not getting what I want, I'll release hatchlings if they don't have the ability or even close to the IVs that I wanted, and just pretend that they ever even existed, rather than WTing them like I usually do!
Try screaming on a pillow. Or getting a punching bag, drawing a face on it, and beating it up

Thinking about it, I think I might be the only person here who likes breeding and training their Pokémon. Yeah, it can be mind-numbingly tedious at times, but the reward is worth it to me. I took a Pokémon that was once level 1 (with the first thing it saw hatching from the egg was me) all the way to level 100 with great care put into how it developed, it is just magical. You can hand me a Pokémon that is fully trained and every thing but I won't like it as much as one I trained. And this had been proven since I haven't used my shiny and trained Azumarill, Aegislash, and many others in major battles. It's also partially why I don't like using legendaries (they don't hatch...with the exception of my Giratina in SoulSilver thanks to Arceus).
Now, I'm not saying that as a "moral" thing or anything like that, just my personal preference.
You most certainly are not. I enjoy raising my Pokemon from as low a level as I can, and hell, even play with every one of them in Amie before starting their training (hopefully, I'm not the only one with this rather girlish tradition).

But I can do way with:
The fucking gender ratios. Or at least the ones where females are rare. Just kick them to the fucking curb already, Game Freak!

Where hidden abilities only seem to be bred in half the time. If it's female, her ability should be bred in 90% of the time into her offspring!

If a Pokemon has 31 IVs in a given stat, they should be automatically bred in to the offspring.
And why nonot use an item, such as the macho brance, for when we want a Pokemon to use 0 IVs in a certain stat, such as for a Trick Room set?

And for a change, just let use somehow determine the Hidden Power, yes?

I don't want a mega flygon. I don't care about flygon. There are far better hoenn pokemon
If Garchomp wasn't already so powerful, even without his Mega, I probably wouldn't care about that comment.

But Garchomp has a Mega, so Flygon should have one too, especially since we're talking about the original sand dragon here.

No arguing with the results, but it is a nightmare getting there. And then, once I'm done with that, it is once more unto the breach dear friends, because I have yet another breeding project to do, both for competitive purposes, and for completing the 'Dex. Just–uh, how many evolutionary lines are there anyways?

Last edited:
You most certainly are not. I enjoy raising my Pokemon from as low a level as I can, and hell, even play with every one of them in Amie before starting their training (hopefully, I'm not the only one with this rather girlish tradition).

But I can do way with:
The fucking gender ratios. Or at least the ones where females are rare. Just kick them to the fucking curb already, Game Freak!

Where hidden abilities only seem to be bred in half the time. If it's female, her ability should be bred in 90% of the time into her offspring!

If a Pokemon has 31 IVs in a given stat, they should be automatically bred in to the offspring.
And why nonot use an item, such as the macho brance, for when we want a Pokemon to use 0 IVs in a certain stat, such as for a Trick Room set?

And for a change, just let use somehow determine the Hidden Power, yes?

If Garchomp wasn't already so powerful, even without his Mega, I probably wouldn't care about that comment.

But Garchomp has a Mega, so Flygon should have one too, especially since we're talking about the original sand dragon here.

No arguing with the results, but it is a nightmare getting there. And then, once I'm done with that, it is once more unto the breach dear friends, because I have yet another breeding project to do, both for competitive purposes, and for completing the 'Dex. Just–uh, how many evolutionary lines are there anyways?
Let's see, according to my sketchy and averaged calculations, about 210 evo lines. But it probably isn't reliable. Also I agree on gender ratees, they're so annoying

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I want Mismagius to become fairy. Didn't happen though.

I want Jynx to have a mega.
I wouldn't have wanted one if her name is not on the trademark list. But the thing is, her bloody name is on it and she's currently the only one without a mega.
I don't like how she is singled out.

I want Mismagius to become fairy. Didn't happen though.

I want Jynx to have a mega.
I wouldn't have wanted one if her name is not on the trademark list. But the thing is, her bloody name is on it and she's currently the only one without a mega.
I don't like how she is singled out.
Lol, that's enough wihlisting, me and M-Flygon are enough ranting to close a thread down

I think I'm the only one that loves a lot of 5 gen mons in general. I mean, there were lots of people saying that Gen 5 sucked and that the designs were ugly and thoughtless, not like the first generation. Yeah, I'm sure there was a lot of thought put into the designs of Rattata, Pidgey, Geodude, Ditto, Ekans, Kakuna, Dratini... Do I have to keep going?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
stage7_4 :
Nitpicky, Child Friendly: Actually we don't know what the Headless Horseman was in Disney's Sleeping Hollow. The short ended with him throwing his flaming pumpkin head at Ichabod Crane and the narrator informing us he was never seen again while speculating what happened to him (he either got scared off and married someone in another town or he was killed).
As for child friendly versions of the character, Dullahan from Castlevania looks okay to use (though the Headless Horseman isn't a bad choice either, just pulling your leg) and after looking up "cartoon banshee" turns out Gargoyles had a banshee character (on a similar note you can use the horribly green screened woman banshee from Disney's "Darby O'Gill and the Little People").
Sad Banshee: Though, as everyone noted, Misdreavus is at least partially based on the banshee. Sad it didn't get it (among other's I mentioned before), maybe its Mega Evolution?

lucariomaster2 :
What Is A Fairy: Mawile is based on a Yokai rather then a fair folk fairy. Fairy-type seems like the "supernatural type that isn't a spirit/ghost" though I'd argue Mawile's basis, the Futakuchi-onna, is more of a monster than a fairy.
Bug Dragon: Yeah, guess Yanmega could also make an interesting Bug/Dragon. If Kingdra and Dragalgae both become part Dragon-type (as well as Ampharos upon Mega Evolving) because their namesake has "dragon" in it, why not the DRAGONfly Pokemon?
Absol Fabu: Actually if we're basing on how fabulous it becomes it should be part Dragon-type just like Ampharos. :P Anyway I always say Absol's appearance meant to be more angel like ad you can argue whether an angel count as a fairy-like creature or not.

KingHeracrossTheBug :
DBL: I would assume Dusk Ball Larvitar is a Larvitar in a Dusk Ball, not really unheard of (and sounds an appropriate combination since it becomes part Dark-type).
All Megas: Personally I'm more interested in seeing how they would make a Mega Pokemon out of gimmick Pokemon. Would they drop the gimmick or somehow work the gimmick in? Anyway the mentioned Pokemon I don't see any problem getting a Mega, maybe Shedinja but that falls under gimmick which I'd like to see them attempt.

djanxo unchained :
Mega Jynx Evo: You'd think GameFreak would have trademarked all fully evolved Pokemon with "Mega" in front of their name. Anyway, Jynx honestly should get an evolution to put it back on par with Electabuzz and Magmar. Along with those two they made up a sort of unofficial Fire-Ice-Lightning Trio but then Electabuzz and Magmar were made a duo of sort and given evolutions. Even if Jynx gets a Mega, a Mega Electivire and Mega Magmortar would still be stronger then it.

NEW UNPOPULAR OPINION:
PokeStar Studios. I liked it. Yeah, I liked it. Well, at least the core concept. I always thought it would be interesting to have non-usable "boss monsters" to fight against, being WAY stronger than a normal Pokemon and maybe even have a gimmick needed to defeat it. And then comes PokeStar Studios and, though not exactly what I wanted, I enjoyed how we were fighting against non-Pokemon monsters and the way to win was not just by knocking it out.
That said it does have problems. I sometimes never understood the script and since there was no guide I had to restart a lot of times to get the best movie. Also you finally make all the movies, there's a parade through the whole studio with people congratulating you including Brycen and Sabrina, and you're allowed to go into the VIP room... only for their to be NOTHING in there. This place was teased a whole lot and you think there would be something awesome in there, but it's just a fancy room you can't even decorate like the Villa in Platinum! Though I did find the book of Pokemon-ified movie titles funny.
Speaking of which I also found the movie ideas a bit intriguing (yeah they were essentially paraodies of real movies but I think they put fun twists on them). They were all short and sometimes felt disjointed (were the dating movies suppose to be connected?), but that was not to take too much of the player's time. If I was a fanfiction writer I'd definitely take the movie ideas and expand upon them and make them full stories (and then maybe go onto the parody title in the VIP room).
I hope in future games they expand on the idea. Maybe not in a PokeStar Studio setup, but some kind of form where you're battling a non-Pokemon opponent (thinking about it, the recent Mystery Dungeon game did that).

With the Mega Jynx list thing- wasn't there some rumours around of a Plusle and Minun in a supposed mega list as well? Not that it matters much anymore but I would have been curious how they could've worked. But then that would probably bring in more hate of wasted Mega slot designs that could've gone to others.

Also, a lot of people grow tired and weary of electric rodents ("waste of designs!") but I really like Pachirisu, Minun, Emolga and Dedenne. Yeah a lot say they're pointless because they're weak, and a I'm not exactly the most "OMG kawaii cute rodent fanatic" but I really appreciate them for some reason? Even though I think Pikachu is the most overexposed thing, I can at least tolerate the other rodents' varying levels of cuteness. Still thinks Raichu needs more love somehow, it's being even more forgotten more than ever.

Speaking of 'waste-of-design' things, I like Klingklang and Vanilluxe lines too. They need more moves. Also really like some of the 'repeat generic design' things like the Gigalith line. Can't stand the Liepard line though, must be a cat thing. Also for those arguing blobs like Muk and Ditto are uncreative...I really like blob designs too for some reason, maybe the simplicity. Just like what you like I guess.

Hmmm, I seem to be one of the few who likes the Gen 4 evolution craze? Especially since a lot of Johto mons got stat upgrades and I love making low stat mons more viable. Sure designs can be hit and miss but at least the stat boosts really help.

I liked Elesa's design better in BW when her outfit wasn't as over the top or fanservicey. It was nice and simple, and while those robotic red shades were nice there was just something off with her big poofy jacket for me.

Riding pokemon in Kalos was a bit of a meh gimmick for me. The Rhyhorn one especially was pretty slow and rotating was too annoying for me. Mamoswine was okay but then snow slows movement down anyway which if going by my experience walking to Snowpoint City in Sinnoh, is not very enjoyable. At least jumping ledges with Skiddo is very satisfying- sweet revenge on those unclimbable ledges! Gogoat ride was very pointless though.

I enjoyed the Pokethlon as well, it seems a lot of people don't really like it? Those minigames were a nice distraction and pretty fun and had more of a purpose than Musicals for example because at least you can get points for prizes like Stones and Evo items. And I just can't get enough of those mini pokemon sprites.

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun with the Pokéathlon too tbh; despite me agreeing earlier in the thread that HGSS really had a lot of problems and weren't the best games, the Pokéathlon is imo by far the best minigame to ever be in Pokémon. Sorry but the contests - both versions of them - are just awful, the thing in XY is pretty meh, and the musicals... well, they get a free point for me putting a Slaking in a cane and a top hat. Beauty.
But I digress; Pokéathlons are honestly the best thing. There's a lot of interactivity, there's a sense of achievement and reward out of it, it's unique and varied... while there's a certain few events that I hate with all my heart, it was still really fun -- it hit all the right points for me. Enjoyable, gave me rewards for the actual game (evo stones and such as rewards for points), a sense of achievement and victory even recorded on your trainer card, and a way for your Pokémon to actually do something good even if they're some jack shit 0 IV Unown which can't do a thing in battle.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I had a lot of fun with the Pokéathlon too tbh; despite me agreeing earlier in the thread that HGSS really had a lot of problems and weren't the best games, the Pokéathlon is imo by far the best minigame to ever be in Pokémon. Sorry but the contests - both versions of them - are just awful, the thing in XY is pretty meh, and the musicals... well, they get a free point for me putting a Slaking in a cane and a top hat. Beauty.
But I digress; Pokéathlons are honestly the best thing. There's a lot of interactivity, there's a sense of achievement and reward out of it, it's unique and varied... while there's a certain few events that I hate with all my heart, it was still really fun -- it hit all the right points for me. Enjoyable, gave me rewards for the actual game (evo stones and such as rewards for points), a sense of achievement and victory even recorded on your trainer card, and a way for your Pokémon to actually do something good even if they're some jack shit 0 IV Unown which can't do a thing in battle.
I love musicals too.
My friends and I were so busy competing for "ugliest Pokemon design" in musical.

With musicals, the first time I saw them I was all like "why would they add some shit like this?"

Then I started making every Pokemon look like a rockstar, an English lord, a freak... And I was amazed by it

I miss the Gen 3 and below PC Item storage. Sure we can now have all the items at once, but my OCD starts acting up when I see all the clutter in the item bag.

It's gotten better with more specialized item pockets and sorting methods, but I sometimes wish I could store special items for a rainy day. Or, do it without attaching them to random pokemon in the PC.

All in all I'm grateful for the gentleman in ORAS giving us the most beautiful speech about battle role discarding that outdated piece of trash called Karen speech.
I've been trying to find this gentleman that you are referring to, because I can't remember this speech that has been spoken of. Where exactly is he?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
mcFlareon :
Mega Difference: The only way I can see them making Mega Plusle and Mega Minun different from one another is by REALLY emphasizing their preferred stats, helpful Abilities and maybe giving them a secondary type to match. Turn Mega Plusle into a speedy Special Attacker while focus on making Minun a somewhat defensive Pokemon. If given time maybe I can think of something more creative (maybe something to do with Plus and Minus), but honestly it all depends on what GameFreak wants to do. Actually, maybe they could experiment with Plusle and Minun, like maybe have them share a Mega Stone? They would evolve to basically the same Mega Pokemon but maybe with slight differences (something which they honestly should have done with Latios and Latias).
Electric Rodents: As long as they do something interesting with them I'm okay with the Electric Rodents. And yeah, where is Raichu's Mega Stone? Are you telling me the evolved form of your MASCOT didn't get at least one Mega Evolution? Actually I wouldn't have been surprised if Raichu gotten two.
Gen IV Evos: While I would say some of their designs need a bit of work, I'm okay with the Gen IV cross gen evos. They helped those Pokemon become somewhat more viable, and I imagine getting a Mega Evo would further this.
Riding Along: Yeah, wasted potential right there. They advertise you riding around on Rhyhorn, Gogoat, Skiddo... and each only have on area you can do so in the game.
Pokethlon: Never got to do the Pokethlon but it looked fun and varied. Still one of my favorite facts about it is that Sunkern has the potential of having 5 stars in each stat, putting it on par with Mew, Giratina's Origin Forme, and Arcues (and Ditto), lol!

BEST POKEMON MUSICAL EVER:
They bring the house down... literally.
Also any of your arguments are now invalid.

Electric Rodents: As long as they do something interesting with them I'm okay with the Electric Rodents. And yeah, where is Raichu's Mega Stone? Are you telling me the evolved form of your MASCOT didn't get at least one Mega Evolution? Actually I wouldn't have been surprised if Raichu gotten two.
Yup. I agree 100% with this. Emolga was one of my favorites and Pachirisu was alright. The one that I honestly disliked was Dedenne (I can't even spell it right and don't care to look it up). It's practically just a mini-Raichu that's just "Here's your electric rodent! Now it's a fairy type!" and then they screw it over with its movepool

Battle Resort, sitting down at a table near the tutors.
Ooh, I know who you're talking about. Found him!
The gentleman who talks about trainers having to pick Pokemon that can win, over choosing their favorites, if they truly want to win. I completely and totally forgot about him, or what he said!

Oh, and on another note, I'm one of those who hates using Choice Items, Life Orbs, and Recoil moves (pretty ironic that I decided to breed a Reckless Emboar, just to do something different for a change, isn't it?).

It just seems that locking yourself into one move, until you run out of PP, and leaves you unable to adapt.
And using moves or items that damages your Pokémon as well, seems pretty pretty antithetic to this whole "Pokémon are our friends" theme that keeps getting spouted repeatedly, and even though knocking out your opponent's Pokémon is indeed the whole point, it is pretty hard to use recoil moves and Life Orbs when using them makes it hard to use them for coverage against Pokémon that they would have the advantage against, since it is very hard to switch back in when you've caused damage to your own Pokémon, in addition to them taking damage from your opponent.

And I also dislike moves such as Psycho Boost, Close Combat, Overheat, and Superpower, which leaves you vulnerable to counter attacks or leaves your Pokémon tuckered out, and unable to cause enough damage, and if you switch out to reset the stats, unless you have a Pokemon that you're willing to sacrifice, which you hopefully won't need in the long run, or have a Pokémon that can sponge the free counter-attack that you leave your opponent open to make, and can pivot the battle in your favor, I just don't know if it is worth causing that extra damage in a short amount of time.

I probably wouldn't use Belly Drum Azumarill if I didn't find out first-hand how powerful and unstoppable they can be. Nothing likes switching into one of those.

I'm sure someone else has already said something similar.

Last edited:
Ooh, I know who you're talking about. Found him!
The gentleman who talks about trainers having to pick Pokemon that can win, over choosing their favorites, if they truly want to win. I completely and totally forgot about him, or what he said!

Oh, and on another note, I'm one of those who hates using Choice Items, Life Orbs, and Recoil moves (pretty ironic that I decided to breed a Reckless Emboar, just to do something different for a change, isn't it?).

It just seems that locking yourself into one move, until you run out of PP, and leaves you unable to adapt.
And using moves or items that damages your Pokémon as well, seems pretty pretty antithetic to this whole "Pokémon are our friends" theme that keeps getting spouted repeatedly, and even though knocking out your opponent's Pokémon is indeed the whole point, it is pretty hard to use recoil moves and Life Orbs when using them makes it hard to use them for coverage against Pokémon that they would have the advantage against, since it is very hard to switch back in when you've caused damage to your own Pokémon, in addition to them taking damage from your opponent.

And I also dislike moves such as Psycho Boost, Close Combat, Overheat, and Superpower, which leaves you vulnerable to counter attacks or leaves your Pokémon tuckered out, and unable to cause enough damage, and if you switch out to reset the stats, unless you have a Pokemon that you're willing to sacrifice, which you hopefully won't need in the long run, or have a Pokémon that can sponge the free counter-attack that you leave your opponent open to make, and can pivot the battle in your favor, I just don't know if it is worth causing that extra damage in a short amount of time.

I probably wouldn't use Belly Drum Azumarill if I didn't find out first-hand how powerful and unstoppable they can be. Nothing likes switching into one of those.

I'm sure someone else has already said something similar.
No one has said something like that. And I agree with recoil moves, but Life Orb is one of my favorite items ever. On the topic of recoil moves, I don't mind recoil damage as much as I mind stat-lowering ones. That's the main reason I bres HJK onto my Lucario instead of going for Close Combat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 5)