Unpopular opinions

Welp gigalith and conkeldurr have the bad luck of being trade evos, bouffalant is a slow nuke on the endgame side, beartic is completely overshadowed by Vanilluxe. And venipede is the superior and cooler looking bug in my opinion.

Beheyem was my synchronizer for Kyurem modest nature. The guy is somewhat hard to train in white where reuninclus is a better choice but in black he is a complete beast with near endgame access to calm mind and recover. Seriously I can't stress enough how fucking amazing Beheyem is despite falling on the Slowpoke scenario where it's either obtained too late(surf available) or relatively earlier(Slowpoke well) with faster evolution choices.

Yeah I used Beheeyem once and I do like them, but like... it's just kind of there, y'know? Not one of the more memorable ones. It's cool, but in the grand scheme of things, I've got my zams and voirs and reunicluses.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Speaking of Maractus, I actually love using Grass types in game, or at least grass moves.
I really like self heal moves like leech seed , giga drain, horn leech, etc.

The sheer joy of not needing to spend on potions.
I obtained fashionable clothing very early in XY.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, I'm bring this back since I just had an idea for such a team:
The Unloved Ones; or the Team of Misfit 'Mons

What do I mean by that? Simple: using nothing but Pokémon that are virtually no one's favorites. Ranging from despised (Lickilicki, Garbodor, Vanilluxe) to the merely forgettable (Lumineon), it would make for an interesting playthrough team.

If anyone has any more suggestions of this idea, please, tell me since I might try this out. Mostly to give Garbodor, Vanilluxe (who has surprisingly decent stats), and Lumineon their time in the sun.
Sunflora, Mothim, Wormadam, Carnivine, Maractus, Heatmor - show most people these Pokemon and they'd have no idea
Gigalith, Leavanny, Crustle, Beheeyem, Bouffallant... honestly there's a lot of examples from Gen 5
(what the FUCK is a beartic)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/crapmons-ingame-run.3559001/

Just to point out this exists. I have trained every single one of the Pokemon mentioned above... None of them are particularly bad apart from Lumineon. That SS team is one I don't wish to repeat anytime soon (I also need to complete that run). It is lacking in all aspects across the board. Bad movepool and bad stats and a design which is incredibly bland and uninspiring... Its about as boring as the brief "tropical fish" can get.

Unpopular Pokemon in and of itself is a really awful term. I probably name users who really like all the Pokemon above, hell, I like Vanilluxe and Sunflora and Mothim off the top of my head. How can you say Gigalith is unloved? It has an ace design and has analogues to the original rock mon, Geodude. This is also the reason why GameFreak could never remove a Pokemon from the game like people have suggested.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/crapmons-ingame-run.3559001/

Just to point out this exists. I have trained every single one of the Pokemon mentioned above... None of them are particularly bad apart from Lumineon. That SS team is one I don't wish to repeat anytime soon (I also need to complete that run). It is lacking in all aspects across the board. Bad movepool and bad stats and a design which is incredibly bland and uninspiring... Its about as boring as the brief "tropical fish" can get.

Unpopular Pokemon in and of itself is a really awful term. I probably name users who really like all the Pokemon above, hell, I like Vanilluxe and Sunflora and Mothim off the top of my head. How can you say Gigalith is unloved? It has an ace design and has analogues to the original rock mon, Geodude. This is also the reason why GameFreak could never remove a Pokemon from the game like people have suggested.
It was less along the lines of Pokémon that are bad or just disliked, just ones that... don't quite stick in most peoples' memories as much as others.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Guys, how can we have gone on about crapmons Pokemon and not even mention the king of crapmons, the the very best at being the worst, the literal heart of crapmons:

Seriously, they should have just made Alomomola a Luvdisc evolution, at least it would have given it something to look forward to and usable in Little Cup.

Guys, how can we have gone on about crapmons Pokemon and not even mention the king of crapmons, the the very best at being the worst, the literal heart of crapmons:

Seriously, they should have just made Alomomola a Luvdisc evolution, at least it would have given it something to look forward to and usable in Little Cup.
I wouldn't be surprised if Luvdisc were terrible even in LC.

But at least Luvdisc is not unforgettable. At least it does have something special in being pathetic (As well as a Heart Scale source), something the other crapmons can't even "boast".

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Don't disrespect Luvdisc until it saves you in a Nuzloke multiple times. How did it save me? I traded with an NPC and the Steelix I received saved me. I literately would have lost that Nuzloke if I hadn't caught a Luvdisc.

New Unpopular Opinion: Luvdisc is a must catch for any play through of X or Y.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Don't disrespect Luvdisc until it saves you in a Nuzloke multiple times. How did it save me? I traded with an NPC and the Steelix I received saved me. I literately would have lost that Nuzloke if I hadn't caught a Luvdisc.

New Unpopular Opinion: Luvdisc is a must catch for any play through of X or Y.
I don't think that exactly counts. :P

And yeah, I remember that Steelix. Mainly because its nickname is Thumper which is a nickname you can't give a Pokemon because it contains the word "hump".

Alright, bear with me on this one.

I personally feel that IGN's complaints about ORAS were not only valid, but completely true.

I've noticed this getting through ORAS. Currently I'm past Fortree and haven't picked it up in a while mostly because school, but taking a guick glance at the AreaNav fills me with a bit of dread, and reminds me why I never finished Emerald: I couldn't stand all the water routes. Yes, Hoenn is tropical, and the water routes are a vital part of that region's character. But maybe it's the region itself that bugs me in that sense. I can't stand the water. And while anybody familiar enough with Pokemon to competently review it should know what they're getting into, perhaps they had a point.

Repels are pretty much mandatory, the open-endedness makes it a headache to hunt down trainers (yes, I'm that guy), and while ORAS' surfing them in particular is a wonderful piece of music, it can get monotonous after a while. So yes, I think Hoenn has too much water. It's a matter of my personal taste rather than an objective strike against the region's design, but I see where they're coming from.

And as to "too many HMs,", eight with three Water does seem a bit excessive too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
jordanthejq12:
It was taken out of context. Not only do people not like IGN, combine that that summary box only said "Too much water" as one of the negatives
(and the original games on the GBA got a straight 8) and you have easy fodder. I think I did defend the article at the time (though I did also defend the inclusion of so much water so I was playing devil's advocate) though I forgot what it exactly said so I just reread it. Though they don't talk a lot about the water specifically (infact at one point they called the water graphics beautiful) they did make their point across:
  • Combined with the HM complaint there are three HMs dedicated to just traveling through water (Dive was neat when introduced, but lack of innovation with it made its updated sections were dull).
  • The game does favor Water-types more than any other (especially if you're playing Alpha Sapphire version facing off against Team Aqua)
  • The late game is water route heavy (a type of route where every tile can initiate a battle and you can get a bit loss on the wider water routes. Also we have Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field syndrome of it being a big space but not having much to do except traverse through it. And do I need to mention the strong currents?)
These are all valid complaints, and overall they speak to a wider complaint that these problems also existed in the original games yet GF did nothing to improve them asides having Sharpedo swim faster and make it look prettier (though that only goes so far as the first few routes and diving as all look the same after a while).

But still I argue that the massive amount of water was needed. Hoenn is an island region and it's theme is land vs. water. Also if you know where to go I think you can cut through most of the water routes fairly quickly and you only need to dive 2 times in the story. Also I personally feel if you focus on exploring each route it becomes less tedious as they include a lot of small pathways and dive spots you don't quite know where they lead. But the above points still stand, and while I don't see a solution for the HMs without reworking how the whole system works (something which would be done at a start of a new generation) they could have worked more on adding a variety of more Pokemon types (especially on water and what the villain team uses), maybe included more bigger islands with something to explore/investigate on it (like a cave or imagine coming across a mansion on a small island while surfing), adding onto that maybe underwater caves or the ability to dive down deeper after getting the Aqua/Magma pressure suit, and finally adding in more aquatic biomes than the two for above water and below (if you need a better idea of what they could do click here and here).

Hopefully they take note of this and work on to improve traversing through Mt. Coronet, snow, and marsh in the Sinnoh remake (which I'm calling now we won't get for Gen VII as new remakes happen on new handhelds and Gen VII will still be on the 3DS which had ORAS. Maybe Gen VIII).

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Unpopular opinion: I think that Gen 2 was the worst gen. Admittedly Crystal's sprites were amazing, but it had a ridiculous level curve (Red), but more importantly, just as ridiculous Pokémon. It introduced the likes of Unown, Yanma, Misdreavus, pre-Huge Power Azumarill, Noctowl, Ledian, Aipom, and Corsola to name a few.
In the same generation as Tyranitar.
I know Tyranitar is supposed to be a more "endgame" type of Pokémon but the base stat discrepancy is just dumb. Without the evolutions and other buffs provided by later gens (particularly Gen 4, which was the best in my opinion), stuff like Sneasel and Murkrow would remain in the shadows today, and the less fortunate ones, like Girafarig and Dunsparce, still are.
Another unpopular opinion: Rock is a stupid type.
  • The Gym Leaders/Elite 4 who use them claim that they have "rock-hard defenses", but they have way too many weaknesses, even as GF keeps coming out with slow, defensive Rock types (but at least they didn't suffer as badly as Ice).
  • Why are they weak to two starter types but strong against the third? I always found this confusing especially considering the three first gyms being Rock type. (This doesn't excuse Gen 2 because they decided to hamper the already lackluster Chikorita's ingame performance by making it weak to the first two gyms.)
  • They really need to get an accurate move. Rock type's gimmick is that they have strong moves, but they aren't 100% accurate. That's pretty cool. You know what else is cool? Those two Rock Slides I hit today. Out of 7.
This isn't all that unpopular but I really think they should just remove accuracy and evasion from the game too. Or at least the battle facilities.

Unpopular opinion: I think that Gen 2 was the worst gen. Admittedly Crystal's sprites were amazing, but it had a ridiculous level curve (Red), but more importantly, just as ridiculous Pokémon. It introduced the likes of Unown, Yanma, Misdreavus, pre-Huge Power Azumarill, Noctowl, Ledian, Aipom, and Corsola to name a few.
I know Tyranitar is supposed to be a more "endgame" type of Pokémon but the base stat discrepancy is just dumb. Without the evolutions and other buffs provided by later gens (particularly Gen 4, which was the best in my opinion), stuff like Sneasel and Murkrow would remain in the shadows today, and the less fortunate ones, like Girafarig and Dunsparce, still are.
  • The Gym Leaders/Elite 4 who use them claim that they have "rock-hard defenses", but they have way too many weaknesses, even as GF keeps coming out with slow, defensive Rock types (but at least they didn't suffer as badly as Ice).
  • Why are they weak to two starter types but strong against the third? I always found this confusing especially considering the three first gyms being Rock type. (This doesn't excuse Gen 2 because they decided to hamper the already lackluster Chikorita's ingame performance by making it weak to the first two gyms.)
  • They really need to get an accurate move. Rock type's gimmick is that they have strong moves, but they aren't 100% accurate. That's pretty cool. You know what else is cool? Those two Rock Slides I hit today. Out of 7.
This isn't all that unpopular but I really think they should just remove accuracy and evasion from the game too. Or at least the battle facilities.
I'm perfectly happy with keeping accuracy (on moves) as it balances some of them out, but evasion is just torture. Playing through BW again almost all the Emolgas on random trainers have Double Team and it is the most annoying thing to deal with.
Rock types have 5 weaknesses which is actually quite a lot (Fighting, Grass, Ground, Steel, Water), but their "rock hard defenses" probably comes from, you know, their high DEF stat and 4 resistances.

And I like Corsola and Ledian even with their poor stats ;; also lord Unown

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
  • Rock-types are definitely a type that is has offensive potential but GF are just determined to make a majority of them defensive because how we think of rocks in real life despite in Pokemon this isn't really a factor.
  • I don't think they intended Rock-types to be "first/early Gym type", that's just how it turned out. I can see for first gen they decided the Gym Leaders and when it came to decide who will be first based it on what Starters they wanted to be "easy" and which to be "hard". As for everything after Gen I, I don't know, maybe in Gen III was a callback and became a sort of tradition thing. And as you said with Rock-types having plenty of weaknesses they could plan ways to get around them for players having a difficult time.
  • Yeah, I get the idea but then you really think about it. The idea is that if you threw a rock, especially a heavy one, of course it'll be inaccurate as you'll either not throw it right or the opponent will see it coming and have time to dodge. However I think for some you can make an exception. Diamond Storm & Rock Slide hits a wide area, Head Smash your Pokemon makes physical body contact with, and Rock Throw is weak and has no secondary effect (also you're throwing a small stone).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I swear accuracy and evasion have come up in this thread like 5 times.

Nothing wrong with accuracy since it gives players perfectly reasonable higher risk, higher reward moves, while the purposes of evasion is purely to invoke hax.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've noticed this getting through ORAS. Currently I'm past Fortree and haven't picked it up in a while mostly because school, but taking a guick glance at the AreaNav fills me with a bit of dread, and reminds me why I never finished Emerald: I couldn't stand all the water routes. Yes, Hoenn is tropical, and the water routes are a vital part of that region's character. But maybe it's the region itself that bugs me in that sense. I can't stand the water. And while anybody familiar enough with Pokemon to competently review it should know what they're getting into, perhaps they had a point.
The problem isn't that there's too much water. It's that water routes are boring. Currently, from the moment you activate Surf until you reach shore, no matter where, you're headed for an identical experience. Slow swimming over a monotonous tile set, every tile can trigger a Pokémon encounter, squat all to do otherwise. There's fishing, I guess, or maybe going up the odd waterfall, but otherwise, Surfing is a really dull affair. It's a problem shared by most caves, but at least caves have begun to look somewhat interesting, with different Pokémon selections in different rooms/floors, and there are items to be discovered in their many nooks and crannies. On water, you're traversing a huge, flat, open area; the chances of encountering specific Pokémon are constant no matter where you go, and you need to hop back on land to find items. There's also the fact that you only meet Water-type Pokémon in water, with very few exceptions. At least caves, over the span of the series, have let you encounter Pokémon of every single type.

Water routes scream for variety. Not just between areas, but within areas too. As Pikachu315111 mentioned, there are so many various aquatic biomes out there. It's a shame that Game Freak currently treats water like one single biome, when there's potential to do so much more.

Honestly rock does resist flying and fire wich are two of the most spammable offensive types, the only 3 types I can recall that are absolutely spammable are fairy, ice and dark(used to be dragon fighting and ice).

Honestly rock could be one of the best offensive typing in the game given that it punishes so many dual typing Pokémon that are immune to ground.

Im happy for the existence of mega Diancie, we could have used something like her since a loooong tome ago.

I personally don't find water routes that annoying tbh, I can see where people are coming from but I'm not massively sure why I don't find them boring since I'm typically an impatient person. They look quite nice, I guess, and diving is decent if only for the Dive Theme (which was better in RSE than ORAS). Also if we can have Flying Type Pokemon swoop down on us in caves why can't we have birds swoop down on us while on the ocean? It would at least add a small bit of variety to the constant Water Types we see. In ORAS I found Surfing to be decently quick as well even without Sharpedo. I honestly don't find the water routes confusing or anything like that either, especially in ORAS since you can look at the PokeNav and know exactly where you are.

Yeah...Generation II Pokémon aren't my favorites in general, though there are exceptions (T-tar and Scizor come to mind). And the fact that there are so many weaklings is just sad.
I like Rock. Also, there are a few 100% accurate Rock-type attacks:
Smack Down (50 BP Physical, makes target vulnerable to Ground-type attacks if otherwise unable until switch out)
Ancient Power
Power Gem
Yeah, only Power Gem has good power (80 BP) and it has the strangest distribution of any move, but still.
And yeah, it isn't as bad as Ice since at least it does have some useful resists and most have a decent balance of stats making them good in some situations and bad in others. They are interesting to use.
And there is always Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Mega Diancie.

It was less along the lines of Pokémon that are bad or just disliked, just ones that... don't quite stick in most peoples' memories as much as others.
Thank you, Kurona for taking the words right out of my mouth. Especially since my personal examples of things many hate are actually ones I like.
On this subject, I'm interested in several of these 'mons (I really want to use Maracatus) and while I really like Gigalith, I'm currently using Golem in X, so I would rather not use such a similar Pokémon.

Also, this is my 1,500th post!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm perfectly happy with keeping accuracy (on moves) as it balances some of them out, but evasion is just torture. Playing through BW again almost all the Emolgas on random trainers have Double Team and it is the most annoying thing to deal with.
Rock types have 5 weaknesses which is actually quite a lot (Fighting, Grass, Ground, Steel, Water), but their "rock hard defenses" probably comes from, you know, their high DEF stat and 4 resistances.

And I like Corsola and Ledian even with their poor stats ;; also lord Unown
I actually do like those two as well (Ledyba is so cute) and Dunsparce. Also, 4 resistances isn't that many, especially when you look at Steel.
Yeah...Generation II Pokémon aren't my favorites in general, though there are exceptions (T-tar and Scizor come to mind). And the fact that there are so many weaklings is just sad.
I like Rock. Also, there are a few 100% accurate Rock-type attacks:
Smack Down (50 BP Physical, makes target vulnerable to Ground-type attacks if otherwise unable until switch out)
Ancient Power
Power Gem
Yeah, only Power Gem has good power (80 BP) and it has the strangest distribution of any move, but still.
And yeah, it isn't as bad as Ice since at least it does have some useful resists and most have a decent balance of stats making them good in some situations and bad in others. They are interesting to use.
And there is always Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Mega Diancie.

Thank you, Kurona for taking the words right out of my mouth. Especially since my personal examples of things many hate are actually ones I like.
On this subject, I'm interested in several of these 'mons (I really want to use Maracatus) and while I really like Gigalith, I'm currently using Golem in X, so I would rather not use such a similar Pokémon.

Also, this is my 1,500th post!
Believe it or not, I actually saw a Smack Down Landorus-I on the VGC ladder recently. I don't think I can blame the person using it.
Also, Head Smash really should be 100% accurate. Really a better idea for it would be to make it a Rock type version of Double Edge, Flare Blitz, etc.
Also, this is my 152nd post! Chikoritas all day!

I actually do like those two as well (Ledyba is so cute) and Dunsparce. Also, 4 resistances isn't that many, especially when you look at Steel.

Believe it or not, I actually saw a Smack Down Landorus-I on the VGC ladder recently. I don't think I can blame the person using it.
Also, Head Smash really should be 100% accurate. Really a better idea for it would be to make it a Rock type version of Double Edge, Flare Blitz, etc.
Also, this is my 152nd post! Chikoritas all day!
Well, atleast it's better than Ice and Ice Types that are meant to be "defensive" (looking at you Avalugg, with your 184 DEF). Also I understand Head Smash not being 100% accurate. I mean your literally charging at the opponent with massive power so you probably don't look where your going constantly. Although imo it should be like 90%/95% accurate because 80% just seems to much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)