Unpopular opinions

Lilipup says hi. Not only he gets access to surf but has a really nice Stat distribution a great ingame ability and decent move pool with self boosting moves.

Stoutland is really useful even in endgame.
I've never actually played gen 5, so I didn't want to vouch for something that i didn't know. I'll probably get around to it this summer. And I was referring to the only birds that I thought were good. Linoone can be pretty usable too.

I'm crying because you forget to mention the Grass types. =(

More limitations to a Normal type?
* No defensive synergy with the remaining members of the team bar the uncommon Ghost type.
* Many moves available, but 0 super-effective coverage ===> no offensive synergy with the remaining members of the team.
* Before having access to 102 base power Return, you have to stick with Cut and/or Strenght for a while ==> many moves available, but low room for them.

I want to mention that having a vast movepool can be a good thing to teach to have different type of moves in the 4 slots.
Defensive synergy barely matters in-game aside from a few cases honestly. And in those cases all you want is something bulky.
And even then, for in-game, very few resists which are easily covered and very few weaknesses are what I'd call great offensively and defensively. Even competitively Normal is considered a great type to hit things with assuming you have the coverage to hit rocks and steels.

I've never actually played gen 5, so I didn't want to vouch for something that i didn't know. I'll probably get around to it this summer. And I was referring to the only birds that I thought were good. Linoone can be pretty usable too.
Yes linoone access to surf, ice beam and thunderbolt coupled with headbutt and free items is really great in its original game, I dare to say he is the water gun raticate of the game, close to bubble beam cleffable/wigglytuff in utility.

Yes linoone access to surf, ice beam and thunderbolt coupled with headbutt and free items is really great in its original game, I dare to say he is the water gun raticate of the game, close to bubble beam cleffable/wigglytuff in utility.
I can't say I've heard of this; please do tell of the fabled Water Gun Raticate.

That's an interesting idea, honestly they limit what you can use the HMs possibilities for puzzles:

Cut: Why are trees the only things we can cut? How about ropes/wires, imagine a puzzle where we need to cut certain wires in order to open a door or certain maybe ropes which are holding things together (you'd need to cut the right to keep things together while also removing what's in your way).

Strength: The Strength puzzles are okay as they are now, honestly the only addition I could give to Strength would be a "key & lock" challenge like forcing a door open.
Surf/Waterfall/Dive/Whirlpool: Honestly to make an effective challenge for the water HMs you'll need to incorporate multiple of them into the puzzle. Surf would be mandetory but honestly Surf is just a way to walk over a different terrain. You'd need to add things like moving to different levels with Waterfall, accessing different locations with Dive, or Whirlpool to get pass rough water (Whirlpool is limited in that regard, honestly for Whirlpool the challenge would probably trying to find a way to weaken rough waters just enough so Whirlpool can be used to pass them. Or maybe add new functions to Whirlpool like maybe the stronger the Whirlpool the faster and further it'll move you through rough waters/tides).

Fly: Fly has only ever been treated as a convenience more than something that's needed. Honestly Bounce would probably have more puzzle use than Fly would. But sticking with Fly, maybe they could have places where you can use Fly to get to a higher ledge. At first this sounds like a "key and lock" challenge, which it could be, or it could just be used as a tool for part of a puzzle (like you need to get to a higher place in order to see something or access a button/lever/etc.).

Rock Smash: I can see this being used in weight puzzles, like there's a weight mechanism that has too many objects on it and you need to break the right objects to get the weight needed. Maybe even combine it with a Strength puzzle.

Rock Climb: Same us as with Waterfall & even Fly, accessing a different height though probably inside a cave where you can't fly easily or there's no water to go up. Would be combined with other HMs for more complex puzzles.

Defog: Maybe have it spin fans/turbines to create power through a facility and you need to control where the power goes and how much power is being diverted.

Flash: Erm, maybe a puzzle that evolves controlling the level of light in the room? Like maybe have plants which are sensitive to light and depending on how strong the light is they can be used in different ways (like low light they do nothing thus can be passed over, normal light they grow and can be climbed up but now can't be passed, and bright light their flower opens and it can be crossed like a platform though now can't be climbed or passed)
Now that I see this again, this reminded me of the otherwise-infamous Pokemon Snakewood ROM hack.

There were two puzzles done this way - in one you needed a Pokemon with Thundershock to power up an elevator, and in another there was a teleporter that required a key to use... except there was no key, so you had to get a Ditto for it to transform into the key (In both cases, the required Pokemon appeared in the wild closely).

Now that would be something interesting, I admit.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Although I'm not advocating having a fourth starter option, most of the early game normal types are not particularly amazing. I'm looking at you bidoof and rattata.
I guess, but still I feel the point of the Starter is for it not to be balanced. Your Starter has weaknesses and is resisted by certain types, this encourages you to catch other Pokemon to fill in those gaps. And yes, Normal does have types its weak to and resisted/immuned by, but these types are either usually in a certain area and/or seen late game so for probably a good portion of the game you're good (plus Normal-types get a ton of type coverge while Pokemon of a certain type usually are restricted in what a creature of that type would probably be able to handle).

Last edited:
To 12 on Mt Moon, raticate learns it, it's a downgraded version of Persian and cleffable but with enough speed to sustain itself on scenarios that would be disadvantageous to bulbasaur.
Raticate got Bubblebeam too.

I don't think making early route mons is smart nor a good idea. Why would kids use anything else if the first pokemon they got were insanely good? I like that the games make getting the best pokemon hard (well, for the most part they have). Some of the changes I see people wanting feel like they'd make the game easy to the point where it isn't any fun anymore.

I still don't understand what's the difference between given a Normal-type option and just catching the early Normal-type you find on the first few routes and using that instead of your starter.
The difference is simple: if you pick the Normal starter as a replacement, you'll have 3 "rivals" instead of 1 or 2 (depending on the version of the game) all 3 with the elemental options, thus forcing you to catch more members of the team to patch-up the weakness to "high" BST pokemons (starters have roughly 525 base stats in their third stage, I think).

I have to say that the idea of a 4th starter really belongs to the thread "Unpopular opinions".

Related to this, I'd like to have to do different choices while being in-game, which have relevant outcomes later. This is what happens in the last Fire Emblem, in which you can't really do the 100% of the tasks or recruiting 100% of the characters. I also think about Kingdom Hearts, which you have to make a huge choice since the beginning. Choices in Pokemon seems uninfluent or little relevant most of the time (i.e. the starter picked, the fossil you choose between two and so on).

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The difference is simple: if you pick the Normal starter as a replacement, you'll have 3 "rivals" instead of 1 or 2 (depending on the version of the game) all 3 with the elemental options, thus forcing you to catch more members of the team to patch-up the weakness to "high" BST pokemons (starters have roughly 525 base stats in their third stage, I think).

I have to say that the idea of a 4th starter really belongs to the thread "Unpopular opinions".
So if you don't choose the Normal-type you'll lose access to a rival? That seems to heavily weigh things in the Normal-type Starter's favor. Also I thought the appeal of a Normal-type starter was to have a Pokemon neutral to the other starters (and generally Pokemon you'll be facing early on), so what's this about encouraging you to get other Pokemon? In that what what does the type matter then? Also honestly BST means very little in-game, metagame is where high stat numbers really are important.

But I do agree, it is worthy of this thread and has brought up interesting conversation about why the Starters the way they are.

New Unpopular Opinion: I think we've talked about something similar though not sure if we talked specifically about what I'm going to say: I think they should re-stat the Eeveelutions.

Not honestly I think a lot of the early gen Pokemon should get a look over and tweaked (and I mean more than a 10 point increase in one stat), but I mentioned the Eeveelutions in particular as I think they're the easiest ones to do since their base stats are the same set of six numbers: 130, 110, 95, two 65s, & 60. Mainly I think Flareon, Leafeon, and Glaceon could get a redo to be more representative of their type.

Related to this, I'd like to have to do different choices while being in-game, which have relevant outcomes later. This is what happens in the last Fire Emblem, in which you can't really do the 100% of the tasks or recruiting 100% of the characters. I also think about Kingdom Hearts, which you have to make a huge choice since the beginning. Choices in Pokemon seems uninfluent or little relevant most of the time (i.e. the starter picked, the fossil you choose between two and so on).
Well see, now you're saying that the normal-type would have a lower BST than the other starters if I'm reading this right. So it's not really the Pokémon being a normal-type that's the limitation, it's that they have a lower BST.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I do think both the discussion on a fourth starter, as well as any desires for re-statting, really fall under "unpopular WISHES" than "unpopular opinions on things we already have". So please tone it down a little, wishlisting is against the OI rules and if this thread runs too far off the rails we'll have to lock it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Oh, okay, how about some Sun & Moon unpopular opinions:

1. I think Sun Lion is bland. Moon Bat is much more interesting and isn't a concept that has been done dozens of times.
2. I think Popplio looks perfectly fine. Okay, the nose looks a bit too big but I like the concept behind it.
3. Rowlet is okay though I don't see why everyone is going crazy for it. It's because its wearing a grass bowtie, isn't it?

1) I absolutely love the Sun Lion: is a symbol of strenght and magnificence; it has a basic concept, but it is well done for me. The Moon Bat is...strange at my eyes because resembles a vampire.
2) Popplio is very cute and that nose is similar to a clown's one.
3) Rowlet is my favourite because mixes the beauty of a bird and the fact it is a Grass starter.
4) Litten seems quite basic to me. I don't have an opinion on this cat, but at the moment it seems pretty anonymous.

Last edited:
>tfw stopped receiving alerts from this thread for no reason for like a week

1) I absolutely love the Sun Lion: is a symbol of strenght and magnificence; it has a basic concept, but it is well done for me. The Moon Bat is...strange at my eyes because rembles a vampire.
2) Popplio is very cute and that nose is similar to a clown's one.
3) Rowlet is my favourite because mixes the beauty of a bird and the fact it is a Grass starter.
4) Litten seems quite basic to me. I don't have an opinion on this cat, but at the moment it seems pretty anonymous.
I like the Moon Bat, to me the Sun Lion one looks like a slightly better version of Pyroar. Ok.
Poppilo to me seems like a rip off Seel. I prefer Seel, simpler and better.
Agreed, Rowlet is my favourite to!
Litten seems quite basic because it is quite basic.

I also like the moon bat. Sun lion, while still damn cool, is pretty generic. The only thing I dislike about the moon bat is its face. The thing looks adorable in comparison to its menacing body.

Although I feel like the sun lion is a bit of a reused design, he still looks amazing. I'm not a fan of the moon bat right now, but I've a feeling it will grow on me.

As for popplio, I absolutely adore it. I like pretty much everything about it; from its ball nose to its darker shade of blue. As for rowlet, I think he is cute and has a cool concept, but something about his beak puts me off. Litten is pretty cool, I like the unconventional color scheme, however I feel like he is overshadowed by the other two starters of this gen because he's a bit more bland. I might've chosen him in another generation, just not this one.

Although I feel like the sun lion is a bit of a reused design, he still looks amazing. I'm not a fan of the moon bat right now, but I've a feeling it will grow on me.

As for popplio, I absolutely adore it. I like pretty much everything about it; from its ball nose to its darker shade of blue. As for rowlet, I think he is cute and has a cool concept, but something about his beak puts me off. Litten is pretty cool, I like the unconventional color scheme, however I feel like he is overshadowed by the other two starters of this gen because he's a bit more bland. I might've chosen him in another generation, just not this one.
You & I share a rather similar opinion on the sun lion and moon bat, I however always end up liking and purchasing the game with the inferior legend. The one I side with always turn out to be outclassed by the other mascot, I just can't win.

As for Litten, that's my go to starter for this gen. I know Litten hit well with a good majority of the fan base for whatever reason but reasons for swaying towards Litten are good ones...I have a cat, I'm going to name Litten after my cat, the end. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh, okay, how about some Sun & Moon unpopular opinions:

1. I think Sun Lion is bland. Moon Bat is much more interesting and isn't a concept that has been done dozens of times.
2. I think Popplio looks perfectly fine. Okay, the nose looks a bit too big but I like the concept behind it.
3. Rowlet is okay though I don't see why everyone is going crazy for it. It's because its wearing a grass bowtie, isn't it?
The Sun lion is so far the only one in this gen I dislike. An overused concept that is not good to begin with, and overdetailed to boot. The Moon bat is not much better but it has the potential to be cool.

About the starters... Rowlet is the better of the three, though somewhat overrated - it's nice, but not to the level of say, Snivy or Treecko. We'll have to wait for its evos, though. And Popplio is not bad, I agree with that... but it's too average. Again, its evos can make it better... or worse, who knows?

Raticate got Bubblebeam too.

I don't think making early route mons is smart nor a good idea. Why would kids use anything else if the first pokemon they got were insanely good? I like that the games make getting the best pokemon hard (well, for the most part they have). Some of the changes I see people wanting feel like they'd make the game easy to the point where it isn't any fun anymore.
The difference is that this one doesn't have to wait till the worst case scenario of rival or misty in cerulean.

Rattata is really worth its weight in this fight and can keep its usage through the game.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Let's try to keep SM stuff to the SM thread please when it re-opens. We don't know enough yet and there are people probably trying to avoid information in order to play the games blank. Join IRC if you would like to talk about Gen 7 in any way :)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Not sure if this count as unpopular opinions.
But I just don't buy into the theory "Game Freak wants people to forget about Jynx"

1. Porygon is way more controversial than Jynx is, from a Japanese point of view. It actually caused more than 700 children to end up in hospital!! However, as we all know by now, Porygon had received new evos TWICE.
Although it may not appear in the anime, receiving evos is not related to anime controversies.

2. Junichi Masuda keeps retweeting tweets about Jynx. Junichi Masuda nearly retweets all Jynx tweets that are sent to him.
This is primarily achieved by Jynx Club's twitter and club admin SeafoamIslander (known as j2y8n2x on twitter).

3. Jynx is officially shown to be the favorite Pokemon of one of the 9 core members of Game Freak.
This is seen from Game Freak's Japanese exclusive Facebook page, year 2016. (written in Japanese)

4. Jynx had been appearing in many Pokemon Center merchandise during 2014-2015. Most notably, the very advertised Pokemon Spooky Party series.

5. Jynx also appeared in many other Pokemon merchandise during 2014-2015. She was heavily advertised during the TCG release of Rising Fists/ Furious Fists. Jynx was in the TV commercial, card sleeves, and the card file.
A few months later, Jynx also appeared on an official card mat, unrelated to Rising Fists.

6. Pokenchi, previously known as Pokemon Sunday, a Japanese TV show, showcased an edited version of Holiday Hi-Jynx in 2012, with all the Jynx repainted into purple.
In 2016, Pokenchi celebrities were shown to have baked a Jynx pancake.

7. Jynx (black faced) appeared in the Champion room in 2012, episode 4 of Pokemon The Origin.

Not sure if this count as unpopular opinions.
But I just don't buy into the theory "Game Freak wants people to forget about Jynx"

1. Porygon is way more controversial than Jynx is, from a Japanese point of view. It actually caused more than 700 children to end up in hospital!! However, as we all know by now, Porygon had received new evos TWICE.
Although it may not appear in the anime, receiving evos is not related to anime controversies.

2. Junichi Masuda keeps retweeting tweets about Jynx. Junichi Masuda nearly retweets all Jynx tweets that are sent to him.
This is primarily achieved by Jynx Club's twitter and club admin SeafoamIslander (known as j2y8n2x on twitter).

3. Jynx is officially shown to be the favorite Pokemon of one of the 9 core members of Game Freak.
This is seen from Game Freak's Japanese exclusive Facebook page, year 2016. (written in Japanese)

4. Jynx had been appearing in many Pokemon Center merchandise during 2014-2015. Most notably, the very advertised Pokemon Spooky Party series.

5. Jynx also appeared in many other Pokemon merchandise during 2014-2015. She was heavily advertised during the TCG release of Rising Fists/ Furious Fists. Jynx was in the TV commercial, card sleeves, and the card file.
A few months later, Jynx also appeared on an official card mat, unrelated to Rising Fists.

6. Pokenchi, previously known as Pokemon Sunday, a Japanese TV show, showcased an edited version of Holiday Hi-Jynx in 2012, with all the Jynx repainted into purple.
In 2016, Pokenchi celebrities were shown to have baked a Jynx pancake.

7. Jynx (black faced) appeared in the Champion room in 2012, episode 4 of Pokemon The Origin.
Can't say I've heard of the "GF wants people to forget about Jynx" thing.

Though I do see a bit of a fallacy in your first statement... for one thing, it is Pikachu that caused the seizures. Plus, Porygon's controversy is... restricted. It was an accidental incident that happened once and is not necessarily a big aspect of the Pokémon. Meanwhile, Jynx would continue to be controversial because it's perceived blackface was an integral part of it's design. Just because Porygon's digital-based doesn't mean it has to cause seizures; it just happened to be in the area when the controversial thing happened - nothing about it itself is controversial unless you ask some loonies who think it's the devil. Jynx's design in itself is what was controversial no matter the setting and incident.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Can't say I've heard of the "GF wants people to forget about Jynx" thing.

Though I do see a bit of a fallacy in your first statement... for one thing, it is Pikachu that caused the seizures. Plus, Porygon's controversy is... restricted. It was an accidental incident that happened once and is not necessarily a big aspect of the Pokémon. Meanwhile, Jynx would continue to be controversial because it's perceived blackface was an integral part of it's design. Just because Porygon's digital-based doesn't mean it has to cause seizures; it just happened to be in the area when the controversial thing happened - nothing about it itself is controversial unless you ask some loonies who think it's the devil. Jynx's design in itself is what was controversial no matter the setting and incident.
They decided to blame Porygon, because they chose the color scheme of the flash based on Porygon's body color.
That's why Porygon is banned in the anime, and up till now, has NOT appeared in the anime.

So you can't call it a fallacy because I'm obviously not the one who decide that Porygon has to be banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)