Unpopular opinions

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Agree with Charmander, nothing stands out about it imo.
It's tail is on fire. I'm okay if you think its design is basic but there is something about it which stands out (in addition to evolving into a dragon).

I think you misspelled "greatest Pokémon ever, we should all bask in its glory and unbeatable cuteness!"

BASK!!!!!!!!!

It baffles me how Fire/Dragon is such a rare typing when it's the first thing I associate with Dragons. Even back in Gen 1 I thought "we'll probably get some Fire/Dragon's soon".
And we did. 13 years later.
At least they made it up to Charizard with one of its Mega Evolutions.

It baffles me how Fire/Dragon is such a rare typing when it's the first thing I associate with Dragons. Even back in Gen 1 I thought "we'll probably get some Fire/Dragon's soon".
And we did. 13 years later.
Actually, I was referring to Fire/Flying. But Fire/Dragon counts too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
New Unpopular Opinion: Thinking about it, I think it was a bad idea to make the Exp. Share into what it is now instead of creating a new item.
We always tell people who complain about the changes to the Exp. Share that if they don't like it then don't use it, but what about those who want the middle ground that the original Exp. Share gave: only having the Pokemon its attached to getting experience. And since is was a held item it meant you gave up having an item that provided battle advantage to have that Pokemon gain experience even if it didn't battle. We could still have the new one (as a separate item), but for those who don't want to use it its a bit unfair to leave them with nothing when it past generations they had the held version of the Exp. Share to make leveling your team easier but also having to switch out Pokemon and swap around the Exp. Share instead of mindlessly battling with a few Pokemon as everyone else gets experience without needing to give up their item slot.
Don't know what they would call the item (or what it would look like) that would do what the Exp. Share does now. The English version could call it the Exp. All as a callback to the Exp. Share's original name (actually what the Exp. Share does now is exactly what it did in Gen I since there were no held items), though the Japanese version had always called it the "Learning Equipment".

I personally never understood why so many complaints about the new Exp. Share. It's the ultimate item when it comes to skipping grinding, something no one ever wants to do. It can ensure pace will never be killed like it always did in earlier gens, where GF showcases their ridiculous opinion that a high level gap means high difficulty.

Those complaints about how it lowers difficulty by leaving you at high levels when doing enough battles? Come on, you have to be like, 10 or 15 levels below the lowest in an important battle for it to be difficult, something that is ridiculously easy to avoid even with an inactive Exp. Share. Levels were never a measure of difficulty and will never be. Skill is, both for us and the AI.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I personally never understood why so many complaints about the new Exp. Share. It's the ultimate item when it comes to skipping grinding, something no one ever wants to do. It can ensure pace will never be killed like it always did in earlier gens, where GF showcases their ridiculous opinion that a high level gap means high difficulty.

Those complaints about how it lowers difficulty by leaving you at high levels when doing enough battles? Come on, you have to be like, 10 or 15 levels below the lowest in an important battle for it to be difficult, something that is ridiculously easy to avoid even with an inactive Exp. Share. Levels were never a measure of difficulty and will never be. Skill is, both for us and the AI.
And I'm not saying get rid of it, what I'm saying is having both the Key Item version and the Held Item version (and yes, their effects would stack; would help level up newly caught Pokemon or Pokemon having a hard time catching up). I agree that it's the game designer's folly (wouldn't say fault as they wanted it to be easy) for not making NPC's Pokemon properly leveled and moves/strategies to challenge the player (not saying make them Battle Tower hard, but I want to feel the opponents I'm battling are on the same level as me a I progress through the game, at least in terms of what is available (would be nice to see NPC had their Pokemon hold items as well outside Battle Facilities; maybe even make use of those items the player never uses)).

Reactions: JES

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I think you misspelled "greatest Pokémon ever, we should all bask in its glory and unbeatable cuteness
Can't you just accept that some people have opinions that we don't like? After all, some people just don't like balls of cuteness as a design and may think that it's to plain.

BASK!!!!!!!!!
Uh... I wanted to be in the middle ground, but after seeing this... BASK IN THE CUTENESS OR DIE! (At least I tried being in the middle ground...)
Rowlet is cute, but if we're talking cutest Pokemon ever, spheal takes the cake.
Too true. When I first saw it in Emerald (My first game) I had to catch it. I loved it even after it stopped being cute as a Walrein.
To be fair, both Pokemon are pretty similar: Balls of Cuteness. So the question comes: Do you prefer Owls or Seals?
Even though I like owls more, I actually like Spheal more and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have that much to do with nostalgia.
Oh, I love Spheal. I even have a shiny one that I absolutely love.
I want it.

As had been exhaustively discussed before, the in-game challenge is centered around information. If you can know at a glance what type, ability, probable moveset, and general stat distribution a pokemon has then you are 18 steps ahead of what the game is throwing at you. So it appears easy.

If you don't know anything about the pokemon in front of you, then it's 18 steps harder.

For newbie's (like my sister playing X/Y for the first time having skipped all others) the exp. share is crutch that allows her to experiment with a flood of new pokemon every route without losing progress because at least her starter will be up to the challenge. And if regional pokedexes are going the Kalos style of 300+, then the new exp. share will probably be here to stay. While veterans will find it too easy, newbies will find it a lifesaver as they have 700+ pokemon to get acquainted with.

While I wish we could bridge the gap between in-game play and meta-game play, I totally understand why Gamefreak does what they do.

Can't you just accept that some people have opinions that we don't like? After all, some people just don't like balls of cuteness as a design and may think that it's to plain.
Uh... I wanted to be in the middle ground, but after seeing this... BASK IN THE CUTENESS OR DIE! (At least I tried being in the middle ground...)

I want it.
There is no denying Rowlet, a Pokémon so lovable it toppled Gengar as my favorite Pokémon. BASK!!!!!
Also, how can anyone not like balls of cuteness? They're balls of cuteness!
Also, my shiny Spheal! MINE!

Aside from the part where it, y'know, turns into a dragon and gets a typing very few other Pokémon have.
(in addition to evolving into a dragon).
I'm talking about Charmander as a base form. Magikarp evolves into Gyarados but that doesn't make Magikarp cool.

It's tail is on fire. I'm okay if you think its design is basic but there is something about it which stands out
It still doesn't stand out to me. It's a tiny flame and that's it.

New Unpopular Opinion: Thinking about it, I think it was a bad idea to make the Exp. Share into what it is now instead of creating a new item.
We always tell people who complain about the changes to the Exp. Share that if they don't like it then don't use it, but what about those who want the middle ground that the original Exp. Share gave: only having the Pokemon its attached to getting experience. And since is was a held item it meant you gave up having an item that provided battle advantage to have that Pokemon gain experience even if it didn't battle. We could still have the new one (as a separate item), but for those who don't want to use it its a bit unfair to leave them with nothing when it past generations they had the held version of the Exp. Share to make leveling your team easier but also having to switch out Pokemon and swap around the Exp. Share instead of mindlessly battling with a few Pokemon as everyone else gets experience without needing to give up their item slot.
Don't know what they would call the item (or what it would look like) that would do what the Exp. Share does now. The English version could call it the Exp. All as a callback to the Exp. Share's original name (actually what the Exp. Share does now is exactly what it did in Gen I since there were no held items), though the Japanese version had always called it the "Learning Equipment".
The more I think about it the more I don't mind the new Exp Share. I mean I mostly agree with Siggu here. In Fire Red I had a level 48 Jolteon. Blue had like levels 60s in his team. Most people aren't competitive players and are casual so they're obviously not as good, they need the new Exp. Share

I think you misspelled "greatest Pokémon ever, we should all bask in its glory and unbeatable cuteness!"

BASK!!!!!!!!!
This image turns me off more than it attracts me.

So the question comes: Do you prefer Owls or Seals?
Both. I literally can't decide (and there too different anyway imo)

Taking the discussion away from Rowlet (which leaves me fairly indifferent to be honest.)

I really hate Pokémon waifus. Not the Pokémon themselves mind you, but how some people fawn and drool over any Poké that has the slightest feminine feature to it. It's not even the sexualization per se that bothers me (I have more fetishes than I can count), it's just an innate hate.

Following this, I don't like how the last CAP was named CruciBELLE when it looks fairly gender-neutral, and how some people assumed it was a female-only specie. Rock/Poison doesn't really scream "cute girl" either.

I really hate Pokémon waifus. Not the Pokémon themselves mind you, but how some people fawn and drool over any Poké that has the slightest feminine feature to it. It's not even the sexualization per se that bothers me (I have more fetishes than I can count), it's just an innate hate.
I never understood the whole thing and never will. I actually don't like certain Pokemon made too human like. Gardevoir and Machoke feel weird to use in battle since they look like actual humans. Humanoid Pokemon are fine if they at least have some aspects that make them not look like humans. Pokemon that resemble humans pretty well are awkward and I don't know why they exist.

It's not so much that I overly like humanoid Pokemon, it's more that they're neutral. I just don't see them as different from any other Pokemon. I like to use machamp and gardevoir and whatever from time to time. If you change your perspective a bit it's not weird at all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
While not my kink, as Kurona said I'm okay with it up to a degree (you usually have to go looking for those things so just keep Safe Search on and you should be good). Like if you don't go too far with it or just make jokes about it fine, have at it, there's an artist on Deviant Art called "RakkuGuy" who I'm pretty sure he has a Gardevoir fetish (he bred Ralts until he got a Shiny), but he never goes too far with it and often makes joke comics with them. However there's then the opposite end of the scale who just want to %#$& feminine Pokemon like Gardevoir (in order to remember the RakkuGuy's name I typed "Gardevoir" into Google images and curiosity got the best of me so I turned Safe Search off, I immediately turned it back on again). Though not like GF helps mitigate this behavior I'm looking at you Mega "torn stocking pattern" Lopunny.

Reactions: JES
While not my kink, as Kurona said I'm okay with it up to a degree (you usually have to go looking for those things so just keep Safe Search on and you should be good). Like if you don't go too far with it or just make jokes about it fine, have at it, there's an artist on Deviant Art called "RakkuGuy" who I'm pretty sure he has a Gardevoir fetish (he bred Ralts until he got a Shiny), but he never goes too far with it and often makes joke comics with them. However there's then the opposite end of the scale who just want to %#$& feminine Pokemon like Gardevoir (in order to remember the RakkuGuy's name I typed "Gardevoir" into Google images and curiosity got the best of me so I turned Safe Search off, I immediately turned it back on again). Though not like GF helps mitigate this behavior I'm looking at you Mega "torn stocking pattern" Lopunny.
As I said, I don't mind the sexualization itself. It's more the people's attitude toward potential waifus. I can't really explain it myself, to be honest.

Gardevoir or course is the favorite waifu by far, and GF didn't help but giving it (not her!) a Mega that looks like a ballroom queen. I always find kinda funny that Gardevoir isn't a female-only specie... not even a female-dominated specie. It has a 50/50 gender ratio. Careful you waifu lovers, half the Gardevoir out there are dudes =P

Gardevoir isn't a female-only specie...
Gardevoir: You can be who you want to be
Don't be held back by society

As I said, I don't mind the sexualization itself. It's more the people's attitude toward potential waifus. I can't really explain it myself, to be honest.

Gardevoir or course is the favorite waifu by far, and GF didn't help but giving it (not her!) a Mega that looks like a ballroom queen. I always find kinda funny that Gardevoir isn't a female-only specie... not even a female-dominated specie. It has a 50/50 gender ratio. Careful you waifu lovers, half the Gardevoir out there are dudes =P
Still worried about humanity if they regard Pokemon as potential waifus.

Sexualizing pokemon sounds like something very close to bestiality since the majority of them are based on animals, and imo its wrong to make that kind of encounter with something that is far less intelligent with far less agency than you. That need for sexual interaction with something that won't and can't say no is more than a little unsettling.

Sexualizing pokemon sounds like something very close to bestiality since the majority of them are based on animals, and imo its wrong to make that kind of encounter with something that is far less intelligent with far less agency than you. That need for sexual interaction with something that won't and can't say no is more than a little unsettling.
The thing is people don't view Pokemon like Gardevoir as animals because it looks so human like. Psychic Type Pokemon typically have high intelligence (by Pokemon standards) and it looks more human than animal. People just see what they want to see - a humanoid Pokemon. They don't think of them in the way that you might they Dunsparce or Herdier or Bulbasaur etc etc. The people who treat Gardevoir like you described see and treat it as if it were a human because it looks like one. I'll never understand why they designed Gardevoir the way they did though.

I mean you don't see many waifus on non humanoid Pokemon

The thing is people don't view Pokemon like Gardevoir as animals because it looks so human like. Psychic Type Pokemon typically have high intelligence (by Pokemon standards) and it looks more human than animal. People just see what they want to see - a humanoid Pokemon. They don't think of them in the way that you might they Dunsparce or Herdier or Bulbasaur etc etc. The people who treat Gardevoir like you described see and treat it as if it were a human because it looks like one. I'll never understand why they designed Gardevoir the way they did though.

I mean you don't see many waifus on non humanoid Pokemon

It's still a pokemon, which still serves you. Also, explore more parts of the internet. People make those waifu things out of way more pokemon than Gardevoir and Lopunny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)