Unpopular opinions

It's still a pokemon, which still serves you.
I know, I'm not trying to defend it or anything, just suggesting reasons as to why people think that way, I mean I disagree personally with Pokemon waifus and the whole concept in general
People make those waifu things out of way more pokemon than Gardevoir and Lopunny.
There the most common plus I'm scared of that part of the internet

This image turns me off more than it attracts me.
...I truly can not comprehend this statement.

On Pokéwaifus:
I've never once understood the obsession with Gardevoir in this sense. Ever.
I mean you don't see many waifus on non humanoid Pokemon
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Sorry, it's just clear that there are parts of the internet you've never been on.

I mean the whole Waifumon craze really took off 10 years ago when it was revealed in Sinnoh that there had been a history of marriage between Humans and Pokemon, and since then it's only gotten bigger, with GameFreak deliberately facilitating it with the likes of (Mega) Lopunny, Mega Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Meloetta and Braixen (Have have you seen her in Pokken? LOL!).

Now in Gen 7 we already have Magearna(it surprises me it took so long to get a robot waifu tbh, due the their popularity in the mainstream media I expected one years ago) and we've only officially seen six Gen 7 Pokemon, so this train isn't stopping anytime soon, especially since GameFreak are in support of it, so you either go with the flow or GTFO lol. :P

P.S I should note that I'm talking about the humanoid Pokemon Waifus here, the people who have waifu'd the eeveelutions(too damn many of these people) are on their own.
P.S.S The Cubone gif is hilarious :mad:

Last edited:
Can I just mention the fact Serena in the anime is total shipper/waifu appeal? Which I don't mind because I honestly do ship her with Ash, but it's really obvious they're pointing to her being Ash's match for fan appeal.
I can't take shipping in the anime seriously since it involves kids, if Serena and Ash were several years older I may start paying more attention to it, but as of now it's just useless fluff in my eyes. Not to mention that it's brought out a side of the community that I wish had never been revealed.

Can I just mention the fact Serena in the anime is total shipper/waifu appeal? Which I don't mind because I honestly do ship her with Ash, but it's really obvious they're pointing to her being Ash's match for fan appeal.
Even though I'm a Genwunner in terms of the anime, I enjoy Serena as Ash's OTP more than Misty for the half season that I was able to watch. There's at least a real dynamic that they're trying to pull here that they haven't tried before. It's a shame she's probably going to get dropped by this time next year for the next female protagonist.

P.S I should note that I'm talking about the humanoid Pokemon Waifus here, the people who have waifu'd the eeveelutions(too damn many of these people) are on their own.
WHAT ME AND ANTHRO VAPOREON SHARE IS A SPECIAL BOND! STOP JUDGING ME!

I love this ship so much. It produces the best fan art.

I can't take shipping in the anime seriously since it involves kids, if Serena and Ash were several years older I may start paying more attention to it, but as of now it's just useless fluff in my eyes. Not to mention that it's brought out a side of the community that I wish had never been revealed.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I also feel. Ash has shown about five trillion times that he hasn't reached that part of his life where he has romantic feelings (and he never will...). But as I just said, it does give me plenty of Yandere Serena fan art, which amuses me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I like Serena's development as a Pokemon Performer, a bit reminiscent of Dawn's development as a Coordinator (notably both lost their first time, felt absolutely crushed, but vowed to become better and did), I do have a problem with her relationship with Ash. Basically, due to her having a (early) childhood crush on Ash, she's always accepting of what he does. And since they don't want her to ever disagree with what Ash does this has caused Ash to pretty much become a bit of a Gary Stu. Yeah, Ash is still a bit thick but have you noticed he hasn't made any major mistakes outside of a wrong battling strategy, or any mistake at all? Now remember in previous seasons where Ash would make mistakes. When Ash made mistakes the female companion was usually the first one to call him out on it, sometimes ending up in a fight with Ash defending the goof he did (and might become the theme of the episode where in the end they make up). But since in Serena's eyes Ash can do no wrong, the writers don't want to make her look bad so Ash has to be a perfect role model.

"Well that's not a bad thing, it's showing Ash is maturing". Yes and no, you can argue that but the problem is Ash didn't mature from his experiences, he was matured by the writers to make sure Serena doesn't look bad for seeing no wrong in him. It feels artificial, like we're reading a journal Serena wrote and she purposely left out the parts of Ash goofing up. This has also sort of made the group dynamic feel a bit stilted. Everyone agrees with one another (aside from the occasional sibling shenanigans between Clemont and Bonnie), only their quirks and goals separate them personality wise. When Ash would argue with his female companion about something he did I felt a strong dynamic between them, a confirmation of their personalities and how they view things. And I also feels it makes the group stronger as they need to accept each other's faults (and throughout their journey it provides options for how the characters will react differently in situations). It also makes each character feel more independent. Ask yourself this: how do you think Serena would act if Ash did mess up. Say Ash was goofing around and accidentally broke Pancham's glasses and Pancham is now really upset, how would Serena respond? I honestly don't know, she'd of course calm Pancham down but how would she talk to Ash. Would she yell at him? No, that doesn't seem like her. Would she be forgiving of him (as in before fixing the situation)? Maybe, but that wouldn't be fair to Pancham, her Pokemon who's care should come first. And what about when Ash's journey in Kalos ends? The way she has acted would make you think she'd follow Ash to Alola and if she doesn't would be a out of character (sure you can justify it, but it would be pretty weak).

(Bitch, there's only room for one girl is Ash's life...)

Going back a bit, thinking about it there's only one group moment I can think back to did I feel there being an tension between the group, and it doesn't involve Ash and Serena. At the beginning of XY103 "A Cellular Connection" it's evening and Ash & co. are eating dinner. Bonnie is worried about Squishy who ran off after encountering Team Flare last episode and, after Ash, Serena, Clemont fail to ease her worries, tries to run off to look for Squishy. Clemont grabs Bonnie's arm and refused to let her go, yelling at her she could get hurt, and Bonnie breaks down and starts crying. It's a very strong group moment, high emotions and showing both Clemont's and Bonnie's personalities and how they clashed at this particular moment... and I think it's the only moment where something like this happened. And this is episode 103 of the XY saga, out of all the group moments there were only this one really stands out to me in terms of character interaction. Actually, wait, I lie, or rather I should specify this stands out to me in term of HUMAN character interaction. I just now remembered all the little squabbles Ash & co.'s Pokemon have, in particular Chespin and Pancham, which helps flesh them out. Or how about Eevee being afraid of everyone except Bunnelby, that also creates group dynamic.

Tl;dr: Serena's essentially submissiveness to Ash has drained personality from the group dynamic. Serena sees Ash in doing no wrong, thus to not make her look bad he needs to be written with no major faults. This has resulted in characters needing to fall back on quirks and their goals to flesh out their group dynamic moments. This is also doing a disservice to Serena's character as it's taking away moments she can prove she can be individual from the group if they do something she doesn't like and also if her and Ash part ways at the end of the XY saga (or ever) that would be out of character for her. I get a stronger dynamic from Clemont and Bonnie, both comical and at one point serious, who you do see butt heads but in the end are siblings so they quickly make up or sweep it aside (or in the serious moment confide and comfort each other). Even the Pokemon feel more dynamic as you're always seeing shenanigans between them during group moments.

While I like Serena's development as a Pokemon Performer, a bit reminiscent of Dawn's development as a Coordinator (notably both lost their first time, felt absolutely crushed, but vowed to become better and did), I do have a problem with her relationship with Ash. Basically, due to her having a (early) childhood crush on Ash, she's always accepting of what he does. And since they don't want her to ever disagree with what Ash does this has caused Ash to pretty much become a bit of a Gary Stu. Yeah, Ash is still a bit thick but have you noticed he hasn't made any major mistakes outside of a wrong battling strategy, or any mistake at all? Now remember in previous seasons where Ash would make mistakes. When Ash made mistakes the female companion was usually the first one to call him out on it, sometimes ending up in a fight with Ash defending the goof he did (and might become the theme of the episode where in the end they make up). But since in Serena's eyes Ash can do no wrong, the writers don't want to make her look bad so Ash has to be a perfect role model.

"Well that's not a bad thing, it's showing Ash is maturing". Yes and no, you can argue that but the problem is Ash didn't mature from his experiences, he was matured by the writers to make sure Serena doesn't look bad for seeing no wrong in him. It feels artificial, like we're reading a journal Serena wrote and she purposely left out the parts of Ash goofing up. This has also sort of made the group dynamic feel a bit stilted. Everyone agrees with one another (aside from the occasional sibling shenanigans between Clemont and Bonnie), only their quirks and goals separate them personality wise. When Ash would argue with his female companion about something he did I felt a strong dynamic between them, a confirmation of their personalities and how they view things. And I also feels it makes the group stronger as they need to accept each other's faults (and throughout their journey it provides options for how the characters will react differently in situations). It also makes each character feel more independent. Ask yourself this: how do you think Serena would act if Ash did mess up. Say Ash was goofing around and accidentally broke Pancham's glasses and Pancham is now really upset, how would Serena respond? I honestly don't know, she'd of course calm Pancham down but how would she talk to Ash. Would she yell at him? No, that doesn't seem like her. Would she be forgiving of him (as in before fixing the situation)? Maybe, but that wouldn't be fair to Pancham, her Pokemon who's care should come first. And what about when Ash's journey in Kalos ends? The way she has acted would make you think she'd follow Ash to Alola and if she doesn't would be a out of character (sure you can justify it, but it would be pretty weak).

(Bitch, there's only room for one girl is Ash's life...)

Going back a bit, thinking about it there's only one group moment I can think back to did I feel there being an tension between the group, and it doesn't involve Ash and Serena. At the beginning of XY103 "A Cellular Connection" it's evening and Ash & co. are eating dinner. Bonnie is worried about Squishy who ran off after encountering Team Flare last episode and, after Ash, Serena, Clemont fail to ease her worries, tries to run off to look for Squishy. Clemont grabs Bonnie's arm and refused to let her go, yelling at her she could get hurt, and Bonnie breaks down and starts crying. It's a very strong group moment, high emotions and showing both Clemont's and Bonnie's personalities and how they clashed at this particular moment... and I think it's the only moment where something like this happened. And this is episode 103 of the XY saga, out of all the group moments there were only this one really stands out to me in terms of character interaction. Actually, wait, I lie, or rather I should specify this stands out to me in term of HUMAN character interaction. I just now remembered all the little squabbles Ash & co.'s Pokemon have, in particular Chespin and Pancham, which helps flesh them out. Or how about Eevee being afraid of everyone except Bunnelby, that also creates group dynamic.

Tl;dr: Serena's essentially submissiveness to Ash has drained personality from the group dynamic. Serena sees Ash in doing no wrong, thus to not make her look bad he needs to be written with no major faults. This has resulted in characters needing to fall back on quirks and their goals to flesh out their group dynamic moments. This is also doing a disservice to Serena's character as it's taking away moments she can prove she can be individual from the group if they do something she doesn't like and also if her and Ash part ways at the end of the XY saga (or ever) that would be out of character for her. I get a stronger dynamic from Clemont and Bonnie, both comical and at one point serious, who you do see butt heads but in the end are siblings so they quickly make up or sweep it aside (or in the serious moment confide and comfort each other). Even the Pokemon feel more dynamic as you're always seeing shenanigans between them during group moments.
The irony is that if Serena WAS a bit more the yandere that fans like to paint her as, there might be some tension in the group and more interesting moments.

NEW UNPOPULAR OPINION: Let's create a topic dedicated to Pokémon yandere fan art!
*sigh* No one's going to do that...

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That gigantic post about Ash and Serena reminded me of an opinion that, while might not be unpopular here, would probably get me blasted in other parts of the Pokemon fandom: I legitimately find most Pokemon shipping to be rather creepy! I mean, isn't Ash a kid, like 10-12 years old? Why on earth are you so invested in a kid's romantic life that you get involved in forum flame wars over it? I just don't understand, whats in it for the shipper?

Theorymon I never understood how or why people became obsessed with Ash's romantic life either. He's merely ten years old, which is the age of a fourth grader in Pokémon's home country. I can kind of understand this in some Shonen Jump manga, which are marketed towards ages 13 and up, but not in my lovely Pokémon franchise.

I think some parts include when you grow up with the character they don't FEEL that young. Sure Ash may only be 10-12, but when you, yourself, are 10-12, Ash doesn't appear that young. And if you had some crushes during that time it's easy for you to ship him with other girls and vice versa. I know I felt this way with some Fire Emblem characters when I first got into the series but now I look back and realize like the 14 and 15 year olds may have been my age then, but they haven't gotten any bit older since then.

Of course, some others choose to ignore the age completely. I mean Ash and most of his female companions (minus probably Iris) look like they could easily be in their teens themselves if you choose to ignore like size differences between them and everyone else. (Seriously, May, you have a rack larger than my ex-girlfriend who is over 10 years older than you. Stop that.) So it makes it easier to project romantic interests if you can just ignore that number. It helps that the anime drawing style really covers up age differences unless they actually really want to portray as someone younger. Is it right? Probably not, but at least there's some justification...potentially.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also the anime doesn't shy away from shipping either. Misty had a crush on Ash, May and Drew flirted, Kenny liked Dawn (and do I even need to mention Conway?), and now we have Serena fawning for Ash. Plus we've had other characters the same age as Ash & co. who were in relationships. Heck, in addition to Misty and Serena, Ash has a few other girls crushing on him like Anabel and Angie.

But the thing is about most of these crushes is that they were a side trait, nothing to really dwell. Sure it may mold some interactions between the characters, but only when the circumstance calls for it. Because they are kids, at most the characters who are doing the crushing are thinking of their future relationship, when they're all done with their journey's, rather than thinking of what it means now aside from finding someone they like. Which leads back to my complaints about Serena's crush on Ash. It can't go anywhere, it's not going anywhere, so why put so much time into it at the cost of character interaction and development between the two.

That gigantic post about Ash and Serena reminded me of an opinion that, while might not be unpopular here, would probably get me blasted in other parts of the Pokemon fandom: I legitimately find most Pokemon shipping to be rather creepy! I mean, isn't Ash a kid, like 10-12 years old? Why on earth are you so invested in a kid's romantic life that you get involved in forum flame wars over it? I just don't understand, whats in it for the shipper?
Welcome to anime. And the internet.

And it's not like they are not teasing with that, at least with Ash and Serena.

For me... well, everyone has their one weird trait.

I've been trying to figure this out for 15 years, and I still don't have an answer, it's a massive waste of time that can't go anywhere because those involved are too damn young to get into anything serious. The whole shipping had actually been on a bit of a wane for a few years but the introduction of Serena brought it back stronger than ever. Hopefully the writers don't try and pull it again with the next chick, who for some reason 4chan has taken to calling Luna.

Theorymon I never understood how or why people became obsessed with Ash's romantic life either. He's merely ten years old,
Haven't they said he's about 13 now? I know they think their audience is not intellectually adept but having that many adventures & traveling to so many cities in under a year is not logical no matter how many resources a person has.

I think the reason many care about Ash's romantic life is the same reason we care whether he accomplishes anything -- most of us were introduced to pokemon when we were young so we've experienced a passage of time with this character. It doesn't feel like he's ten.

Most 10 year olds are not anything like Ash either. He's shown great maturity (at times) and just physically done things that we can't fathom kids doing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Haven't they said he's about 13 now? I know they think their audience is not intellectually adept but having that many adventures & traveling to so many cities in under a year is not logical no matter how many resources a person has.

I think the reason many care about Ash's romantic life is the same reason we care whether he accomplishes anything -- most of us were introduced to pokemon when we were young so we've experienced a passage of time with this character. It doesn't feel like he's ten.

Most 10 year olds are not anything like Ash either. He's shown great maturity (at times) and just physically done things that we can't fathom kids doing.
Nope, the Pokemon Company's stance is that Ash is still 10 years old. Despite having gone through 6 regions, several side locations and events, and seeing day upon weeks pass, Ash is still officially ten. Obviously this is because they don't have to show him age, he'll be the same age as the new playable characters (except in Gen V) so can have them as companions, and they never have to worry about replacing him if he became too old. Of course this has led to the illogical fact that the entirety of the anime (20 seasons, 900+ episodes, 19 movies, not counting specials) is taking place in one year AND still hasn't looped around to Ash's 11th Birthday.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Obviously this is because they don't have to show him age, he'll be the same age as the new playable characters (except in Gen V) so can have them as companions, and they never have to worry about replacing him if he became too old.
Which is odd because the PCs have never been 10. Red was 11 in Gen I, Brendan and May are 12ish in ORAS, and the Gen V and VI PCs are clearly teenagers. iirc the English manual/guide for BW even states that Hilda and Hilbert are old enough to own driver's licenses, which (depending on the US state) pegs them as 16-18, and even without that they're clearly older than 13. The other PCs have ambiguous ages, but they seem to be older than 10.

Later Gens have clearly been leaning towards older designs, which makes Ash's age staying 10 much more of an artifact. It's honestly not necessary.

Of course this has led to the illogical fact that the entirety of the anime (20 seasons, 900+ episodes, 19 movies, not counting specials) is taking place in one year AND still hasn't looped around to Ash's 11th Birthday.
The third movie's Pikachu short actually takes place on Ash's birthday, though it is never explicitly refered to as such. Ash just says it's the anniversary of the day he and Pikachu met.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)