Unpopular opinions

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I fail to see where Pawniard and Bisharp have a design based on knights. They are chess pieces, but neither of them is a knight.

However, I won't deny of Yveltal fitting more for Ghost than Dark, but then again, so does Darkrai.
Actually only Pawniard's Japanese name references a form of chess called Shoji; Bisharp doesn't. They're more likely to be based on bandits as well as kaijin (humanoid monsters), also their armor body is based on Ashigaru (for Pawniard) and Samurai (Bisharp).

ORAS feels super empty to me. I don't feel immersed into the universe at all. Whenever the game gives me a camera angle which is probably supposed to wow me, I just get the feeling I'm in a game and super restricted. Even certain routes' backgrounds look like theater backdrops. The games' routes connect on several point, yet it managed to feel incredibly lineair during the actual story (though I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, I thought I'd just throw that in as well).

XY did incomparably better in that regard, even though it also felt lineair (maybe even moreso than ORAS)

Pokemon walking behind you is the most overrated and unnecessary mechanic. Like, I get why it pleases some people but practically speaking you move much quicker on the bike or roller skating and it's too space to dedicate to it.
I like it:( although I have to say, they varying/unrealistic sizes of some following Pokemon in HGSS ticked me off. I just didn't allow those ones to follow me

Although I haven't seen this sentiment on Smogon per se, people will try to claim Brock as a sexist and chauvinist character who was worthless to the story of the anime. I feel like this is incredibly untrue, as Brock was one of the funniest characters on the show and was a very skilled battler who could go toe to toe with very strong opponents (his battle against Team Rocket in Mewtwo's Return comes to mind.) Honestly, it feels like people being overly-sensitive about Brock being woman crazy even though if I'm not mistaken, he was only that way because he wanted someone to help him with his brothers and sisters back home, and the show never really portrayed his antics as a positive thing really.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't call Brock sexist so much as horny (or the family-friendly equivalent I guess); he did respect women, it's just that he was trying to get into their pants.

If anything his shtick was dumb because it stopped being funny after the fifth time, yet it was repeated ad nauseam for years without much in the way of variation.

I wouldn't call Brock sexist so much as horny (or the family-friendly equivalent I guess); he did respect women, it's just that he was trying to get into their pants.

If anything his shtick was dumb because it stopped being funny after the fifth time, yet it was repeated ad nauseam for years without much in the way of variation.
On that I can agree on. I just feel like some people took that joke way too seriously and ignored other parts of Brock's character because of it.

To the point of being embarrassing. It's like Team Rocket blasting off again. Once they ran out of ideas, it stopped being funny.

Unpopular Opinion
I actually liked having Tracy around (the guy from Orange Island). I thought that was kinda like a fresh breath after we finally finished with the "main arc" of the Indigo arc.
I was happy to see Brock return though, after the act was over...until they started to milk the running gag with him liking women the worst possible ways and always punishing him for that reason. I didn't laugh one when Misty or Max grabbed his ear or him getting Poison Jabbed.

Probably the only thing BW did right was to replace Brock again...and maybe make Team Rocket an actual threat.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Unpopular Opinion
I actually liked having Tracy around (the guy from Orange Island). I thought that was kinda like a fresh breath after we finally finished with the "main arc" of the Indigo arc.
I was happy to see Brock return though, after the act was over...until they started to milk the running gag with him liking women the worst possible ways and always punishing him for that reason. I didn't laugh one when Misty or Max grabbed his ear or him getting Poison Jabbed.

Probably the only thing BW did right was to replace Brock again...and maybe make Team Rocket an actual threat.
I had no negative emotions towards Tracy at all. Maybe because I didn't watch it in English.
Brock started out funny, but it starts to get stale during DP, since it's the same joke over and over and over and over again.

I had no negative emotions towards Tracy at all. Maybe because I didn't watch it in English.
Brock started out funny, but it starts to get stale during DP, since it's the same joke over and over and over and over again.
The worst thing about Brock, for me at least, is that he stopped having actual character arcs after the Johto arcs. The only "development" Brock got in the DPP arc was him deciding to become a doctor.
I am not saying it came out of nowhere (which is still debatable) but he just decided to do it immediately after saving one Pichu so...I can't take that seriously.

His only purpose was acting as comic relief, cook and explain stuff rather than actively helping in the adventure like solving puzzles or take part in battles anymore.

Brock had his Fox Sports segments with the Co star Dawn.

It's funny as these where basically the only parts where they said more than 2 sentences to each other.

This is why Sinnoh was that stale, characters never interacted outside of forced scenarios, BW had it worse as the forced scenarios more often than not where forced drama.

Tracey was fine, he was bland as hell but not bad.

Seriously even though Serena and Clemont barely had moments the whole crew on XY had very organics family like interactions, no forced drama until Ash breakdown in Snowbelle arc.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How's this for unpopularity:

Having Nidoran♀ and Nidoran♂ as separate species is archaic and should be fixed. Ever since form differences became a common thing in Gen IV, the Nidoran-Nidoran split should have been merged. There is only one Wormadam, despite it having three vastly different formes depending on evolution. Only one Combee, despite the female evolving and the male not. Only one Shellos, one Gastrodon. One Wurmple. Male and Female Snorunt and Kirlia are the same species. The two forms of Unfezant are arguably as dissmiliar as Nidoking and Nidoqueen, the same goes for both Frillish and Jellicent.

Back in Gen I, it might have made sense to count the Nidoran forms separately. Gender wasn't a thing yet, and gender differences still several generations away. But in later generations, it has been a confusing mess, and led to some interesting mechanics clashes (such as Nidorina and Nidoqueen being unable to breed). Meanwhile, bred Nidorino and Nidoking can produce Nidoran♀ as an offspring.

Fixing this wouldn't be that hard either, although it would imply great changes to the Pokédex. Merging the Nidorans would shift all subsequent Pokédex numbers down by one. It could be remedied somewhat by moving Cleffa from #173 to #34, and Wynaut from #360 to #173. Chimecho and Absol (#358 and #359) could have their numbers go up by one, putting Chingling in at #358 before Chimecho, from its current placement at #433. Had this occurred in Gen VI, there would be no further problem. However, the evolutionary isolation of Gens V and VI make further shifts more impractical.

Instead, we're stuck with the annoying remnant of the limitations of the original Pokémon games. It was not fixed at earliest opportunity (Gen II). Not when it would have made thematic sense (Gen IV). It's too late now, and it seems we'll have to accept one Pokémon split across two dex entries, and sterile Nidorina/Nidoqueen for the foreseeable future.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I really like the cutscenes in the newer games and in ORAS as it adds more storyline to the game. It does make it harder to do faster though!
To add on to this with my own opinions, the cut scene for Groudon was cool enough and short enough that I didn't mind having to watch it every time I soft reseted for a good one. If you ask me, the problem is not being able to check natures after catching Rayquaza, Xerneas, or Yveltal because of the battle immediately afterward, but because of the music and/or battlefield and how easy it is to find out the nature without the game telling you which one it is, I don't care about that problem ether.

Basically, there's problems, but they're awesome problems that don't slow you down too much.

I actually love Bidoof because it looks so doofy, but Patrat is just a piece of shit that evolves into one of my more hated Pokemon (seriously it's only really good as an annoying Team Plasma Pokemon).
I completely forgot about that pos, he's just an ugly bidoof standing up to me

also, I like all the early birds except for pidove, which felt like a starly recolour at the time

Unpopular opinion (sort of?): All of the fire and grass starters are shit choices. Water is the best! (except for johto, Snivy and Fennekin)

How's this for unpopularity:

Having Nidoran♀ and Nidoran♂ as separate species is archaic and should be fixed. Ever since form differences became a common thing in Gen IV, the Nidoran-Nidoran split should have been merged. There is only one Wormadam, despite it having three vastly different formes depending on evolution. Only one Combee, despite the female evolving and the male not. Only one Shellos, one Gastrodon. One Wurmple. Male and Female Snorunt and Kirlia are the same species. The two forms of Unfezant are arguably as dissmiliar as Nidoking and Nidoqueen, the same goes for both Frillish and Jellicent.

Back in Gen I, it might have made sense to count the Nidoran forms separately. Gender wasn't a thing yet, and gender differences still several generations away. But in later generations, it has been a confusing mess, and led to some interesting mechanics clashes (such as Nidorina and Nidoqueen being unable to breed). Meanwhile, bred Nidorino and Nidoking can produce Nidoran♀ as an offspring.

Fixing this wouldn't be that hard either, although it would imply great changes to the Pokédex. Merging the Nidorans would shift all subsequent Pokédex numbers down by one. It could be remedied somewhat by moving Cleffa from #173 to #34, and Wynaut from #360 to #173. Chimecho and Absol (#358 and #359) could have their numbers go up by one, putting Chingling in at #358 before Chimecho, from its current placement at #433. Had this occurred in Gen VI, there would be no further problem. However, the evolutionary isolation of Gens V and VI make further shifts more impractical.

Instead, we're stuck with the annoying remnant of the limitations of the original Pokémon games. It was not fixed at earliest opportunity (Gen II). Not when it would have made thematic sense (Gen IV). It's too late now, and it seems we'll have to accept one Pokémon split across two dex entries, and sterile Nidorina/Nidoqueen for the foreseeable future.
Honestly, the entire National Pokedex could use some rearranging so things are grouped together more naturally instead of just being every generation's Pokemon listed in numerical order.

There's a lot of evolutionary lines where one or more members is widely seperated from the others (in some cases, the entire line are seperated from each other, like with the Happiny/Magby/Elekid/Porygon lines), and that's never made a whole lot of sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)