Unpopular opinions

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Probably gets so sweaty that all of your Pokémon will refuse to wear it afterwards. And then you find out it's non-washable, unless you take really good care of it, using just the right amount of just the right brand of detergents...

... and you're ten years old. Might as well throw the thing away, because who cares to learn laundry like that?

The thing that irks me is a certain degree of inconsistencies with how held items are handled in main game battle. Like, single use Battle items (excluding berries) can be completely used up like Air Balloon, Weakness policy, etc.

But at the same time, losing items to circumstances like Knock Off, Trick, Thief, etc. is reverted post battle. I find it inconsistent, and kind of arbitrary considering most of the items that would be abusable (Focus Sash, Air Balloon) usually aren't readily available until post-game anyway.
If the item is removed due to Trick, Knock Off, Thief, etc., then the item is still around, and you have to give the item back because you aren't allowed to steal other trainers' items. However, if you use the item (like Air Balloon popping, for example), then the item is merely destroyed. It no longer is usuable.

If the item is removed due to Trick, Knock Off, Thief, etc., then the item is still around, and you have to give the item back because you aren't allowed to steal other trainers' items. However, if you use the item (like Air Balloon popping, for example), then the item is merely destroyed. It no longer is usuable.
But even when dealing with Wild Pokemon you get the item back, even if you flee the battle, Phaze it away, knock it out and it runs, etc.

Because imagine how annoying it'd be to lose Lefties to a wild Pokémon using Trick! Thank goodness you get items back in that fashion!

Tobias did nothing wrong

You will never has a postgame as expansive as Black2/White2 ever again

Game Freak will fall into mediocrity because they can get away with it due to the of nature regarding micro transactions and Amiibo's lining nintendos pockets, causing the expected game sales Nintendo demands to drop and Game Freak following suit.

Tobias did nothing wrong
He just used legendary mons to sweep the league. From a logical perspective, he is a trainer who used his most powerful mons to steamroll opponents. Kind of what we do ingame, quite often in speedruns.

It's that the writers just suddenly introduced him and abruptly ended the d/p series which was great overall apart from this. If they had actually introduced him earlier and built his character, it would have been much more believable and easier to stomach. (I am still waiting for the Ash vs the e4 rematches and Ash vs Cynthia battle!)

I would have been perfectly fine with Ash winning the league only to be immediately curbstomped by Cynthia. As Ash himself put it: "What...can you say? She's the champion!" This of course raises the question of who gets the honors.

What I would have liked to see is something more like the battle with Drake. You recall how Ash had pretty much dominated that one until that Dragonite came in and blew through half his team before losing to Pikachu. (And how the writers intentionally broke the four-move rule.) I'm thinking something similar here, so that we would get to see Tobias' entire team--I'm interested in who he would have kept in the back in the off-chance Darkrai lost. This way, when Darkrai finally came out and Pikachu just couldn't take it down, it would be a lot more believable. But then, I'm in the camp who thinks Ash needs to win one of these leagues and that the series won't end if he does--there's always another region, right? He doesn't have to become champion, just win a league. (And, as I said above, go ahead and let the champion trounce him. It'll motivate him to keep going.)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Game Freak will fall into mediocrity because they can get away with it due to the of nature regarding micro transactions and Amiibo's lining nintendos pockets, causing the expected game sales Nintendo demands to drop and Game Freak following suit.
Your opinion on Tobias is valid. It's an opinion, after all. Feel free to have it, share it, discuss it, whatever.

But these two latter points fall under our "speculation prohibited" rule. We don't want baseless speculation around the forums, so take stuff like that to our IRC channel if you want to discuss it (and in there, we do, frequently).

Also, so this doesn't become too much of a mod post, here's my unpopular opinion of the week:

Gen. I sometimes gets flak for having unoriginal designs, which I find to be a valid opinion, but the complainers focus on the wrong type of unoriginality (is that a word?). Balls and piles of goo, yadda yadda, I get that, but seriously, there's one type of Pokémon that Gen. I has way too many of, that nobody seems to notice: Bipedal, dinosaur-like monsters with a tail and legs on the side of the body. Just compare the body shape of all the linked Pokémon (only one from each generation family, for brevity). Slightly forward-leaning, a pair of arms sticking out, head distinctly separated from the body, a broad belly, with legs on the sides, big round knees, and a straight, pointed tail. OK, you might not want to include Lickitung (not a straight tail) or Porygon (no arms), depending on your level of pendancy (is that a word?), but I did leave out Golduck because of its usual posture, and Blastoise because of its shell, so there. In addition, you've got the evolutionary relatives of some of those too, making the number of Gen. I designs based around this frame quite plentiful.

Yes, this body type design is used in all the other generations too. Tyranitar, Aggron, Gabite, Krookodile and Heliolisk are only some of the examples. But compared to Gen. I, this body type is relatively uncommon in the other generations. GameFreak seems to have toned down the "standing dinosaur" body type quite drastically since the days of RBY, and when it's still used, it's mostly in dinosaur-based Pokémon such as Rampardos or Tyrantrum.

Charizard doesn't deserve to be in smash.
Being realistic with the fact that Jigglypuff isn't going any time soon - unfortunately - Charizard does seem to be the one Pokémon that makes their side of the roster far too big. Pikachu's obviously there because mascot, Greninja's the new gen rep, Jiggly is Smash 64 so never going, Mewtwo's the superboss which should always be in smash as the closest thing to an antag Pokémon has, and Lucario was in Brawl with a unique moveset and represents a gen that isn't the first or the most recent. Charizard is just another Gen 1 Pokémon on top of the pile which without Pokémon Trainer honestly has a very boring moveset, is very slow and sluggish to use, and I firmly believe that it's frame and body shape really don't fit into smash (yes, I'm one of those keep-ridley-out people). It's by far the worst Pokémon still in Smash and brings the least to the game than any of the others.
Sorry if I quote a post from a week ago, but I like SSB debates so...

Charizard has a niche as a fighter archetype. It's the one that makes you grow the most chest hair.
I'm of the opinion that Charizard deserves that fighter spot if only for being easily the most recognizable Pokémon after Pikachu and the most loved Pokémon bar none. The moveset honestly isn't that bad(certainly accomplishes what it's looking for, sheer power), it could have made use of better framedata, sure, but I don't see anything wrong conceptually except perhaps lack of fire effects. And I mean, who would you even replace Charizard with? Using another Fire type starter would either end in a Charizard without a triple jump(Typh, Emboar) or something that still wouldn't be very unique compared to another character(think of Blaziken and Infernape compared to Captain Falcon or Delphox compared to Robin, Ness or Zelda). Any unique thing that you would think for them could easily be applied to Charizard itself. None of them also reaches that level of being iconic; being this sponsorized in the franchise, Charizard is almost like a core character for a series like Pokémon which doesn't have true core characters, cutting it for another Fire type would be almost like replacing Mario with Waluigi, Link for Tingle or DK for Chunky Kong on the basis that they would supposely be more "unique". Also remember the backlash that happens when a character gets cut, even if it is the most worthless of clones? I can guarantee you that Charizard being cutted would lead to negative reactions as big as the reactions that followed the Mewtwo exclusion from Brawl and pre-DLC announcement Smash 4 3DS/Wii U, if not more(and Mewtwo also was/is a low tier character like Charizard).

I think Jigglypuff's inclusion comes by extension of how pronounced it was in the anime in the first couple of seasons. It appeared every so often as a running gag, so I can only assume that including it in Smash the first time was to continue said gag where it was... completely unnecessary :|
It's not just that. If it was just for its role in the anime, Meowth, Charizard or Mewtwo would be much more obvious inclusions(Team Rocket's talking Pokémon appearing on every single episode, Ash's strongest mon plus a starter in the games, first movie's star plus THE legendary Pokémon in the games, respectively). It was that Smash 4 was a low budget game and Jigglypuff was the only feasible Pokémon rep, being easy to semi-clone from Kirby(they share all their normals in 64). Interestingly enough, Mewtwo, along with Bowser and King Dedede, was planned for Smash 64 but removed likely for lack of resources. Additionaly, our Based Hero Samurai likes Jigglypuff as a mon, so that's also a reason why it got choosen as a fighter.

In conclusion, I don't think we need new Pokemon reps in Smash Bros, repleacing veterans or coming alongsidee them, but if I were to choose a Pokemon newcomer it would be Rayquaza ຈل͜ຈ

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tobias did nothing wrong

Tobias: I have no problem with Tobias using Legendaries, I more have a problem of them pulling out the Legendary using trainer and then having Ash lose the next league to a complete idiot. You're right, Tobias didn't do anything wrong, while in the games players may have a rule not to use Legendaries because it would be cheap, in the Pokemon World where the characters are living if one had caught a Legendary of course they're going to use it to become one of the strongest trainers. And I felt how they handled the whole Tobias thing was okay. He may have been suddenly introduced but during the League they did build him up by first mentioning there was a trainer who used a Legendary, then showing Tobias with his Darkrai batting, and then finally matching Ash up against him. However Ash's battle against Tobias was entertaining, sure Ash got half of his party steamrolled by Darkrai but Ash used a bit of strategy with the Pokemon he used and then seeing Sceptile come in and take out Darkrai with one shot was awesome (and making the third normal Pokemon to take out a Legendary, the other two being Ash's Charizard and Pikachu). Tobais sending out Latios out next did feel cheap, like if the rest of the battle was a normal battle Tobias would still have won since Darkrai took out half of Ash's team. However Ash still proved how far he had come by having Pikachu do a double knockout with Latios. Ash took out TWO Legendary Pokemon where Gym Leaders and the rest of the Sinnoh League wasn't even able to knock out Darkrai (not even the trainer Tobias faced in the finals got passed Darkrai!).
But the problem with introducing a Legendary using trainer is how do you follow it up next League? Another Legendary using trainer would just feel like a repeat of Tobias but where else could they go? Well... I guess you can say the Unova League was sadly an all around disappointment compared to the Sinnoh League, mainly in two ways: main rival battle and how Ash was defeated. Ash vs. Paul was an AWESOME 6-vs.-6 battle with Ash using his Sinnoh team which Paul prepared his team to take on since he knew Ash would do that meaning Ash was going in with a disadvantage (and it was then followed by Ash's battle with Tobias). So how did they do the rival battle in the Unova League? It was the PRELIMINARY battle of a 1-vs.-1 battle of Pikachu vs. Serperior... and for most of the battle it was just Serperior squeezing Pikachu until it got free and knocked it out. *sigh* So, how did they have Ash lose? Did he lose against the interesting and skilled Eevee trainer they introduced just before the League who would go on to win the entire Unova League? NOPE! Instead Ash went up against that idiot trainer who thought the Unova League was being held in Johto, didn't realize you needed 8 Badges to qualify, and didn't know a full team battle meant 6 Pokemon. But of course he had a Riolu that evolve into a Lucario which gave it instant god mode (though to be fair Ash's team wasn't the best in the Unova League with many being not fully evolved). Actually its kind of funny now, Pikachu couldn't defeat a normal Lucario but its now able to go head-to-head with a Mega Lucario. But still, in retrospect the Unova League both made the Tobais battle look better and worse; better since it was a good battle despite the curbstomp but worse since it set a high bar for future League battles.

BW2 Post Game: I wouldn't say that, if anything XY and ORAS postgame, while short, was more complex than BW2's. Sure BW2's unlocked a ton of additional stuff, but XY had the Looker Missions and ORAS had the Delta Episode which gave us an intriguing stories which introduce new interesting characters and followed-up on a few things. Also BW2 had an advantage of being sequels so it had a previous game's story to follow up upon. All I'm saying let's see what they have planned for XY2.
Also I think Gen II's post game would like to have a word for you, not mentioning the additional stuff they added to that in HGSS.

Gamefreak: ... WHAT? Where did that come from? First, why would it be micro-transactions and the Amiibo that would cause Nintendo's and GF's "fall to mediocrity"? Yeah, they messed up supplying the Amiibo, but that has nothing on the quality of the games they make. And out of all the companies I'd say for the most part Nintendo sort of stayed away from doing hideous micro transactions that many AAA game companies have done as of recently (yes they've made games with micro transactions, but they're the free matching game clones that are easy enough to ignore). If anything the money they're making off the Amiibo is making back the money they lost on the recent years of lackluster console sales they had. Second, how does that mean GameFreak would "follow suit"? GameFreak hadn't really released any Amiibos, the only Pokemon ones being for Smash Bros.. Actually, Pokemon had tried the interactive figurine thing before with Pokemon Rumble U but that didn't go anywhere (though those figurine were very stylized and cheap looking, though one could argue that helped keep the cost down). And only 2 side games use micro transactions and they're both free-to-play (one being a matching game and another part of the Rumble series). Honestly as long as they keep hideous micro transactions out of the main games I don't think there will be any problems.
Yes, in the past Nintendo games had a problem of becoming stale for following predictable formula, but that has nothing to do with micro transactions and Amiibo. It's them playing it safe, but that does look to maybe be changing. They're starting to release new IPs like Operation S.T.E.A.M. and Splatoon and even though the formula for Pokemon games had become predictable that's mainly because GF keeps old core mechanics and tries building on top of it. New generations always introduce new mechanics to the battling system, Gen VI introducing a new type and Mega Evolutions. Also Pokemon just jumped into the 3D realm and stories are becoming more complex. I think you're just judging things just by the surface.

Gen. I sometimes gets flak for having unoriginal designs, which I find to be a valid opinion, but the complainers focus on the wrong type of unoriginality (is that a word?). Balls and piles of goo, yadda yadda, I get that, but seriously, there's one type of Pokémon that Gen. I has way too many of, that nobody seems to notice: Bipedal, dinosaur-like monsters with a tail and legs on the side of the body. Just compare the body shape of all the linked Pokémon (only one from each generation family, for brevity). Slightly forward-leaning, a pair of arms sticking out, head distinctly separated from the body, a broad belly, with legs on the sides, big round knees, and a straight, pointed tail. OK, you might not want to include Lickitung (not a straight tail) or Porygon (no arms), depending on your level of pendancy (is that a word?), but I did leave out Golduck because of its usual posture, and Blastoise because of its shell, so there. In addition, you've got the evolutionary relatives of some of those too, making the number of Gen. I designs based around this frame quite plentiful.

Yes, this body type design is used in all the other generations too. Tyranitar, Aggron, Gabite, Krookodile and Heliolisk are only some of the examples. But compared to Gen. I, this body type is relatively uncommon in the other generations. GameFreak seems to have toned down the "standing dinosaur" body type quite drastically since the days of RBY, and when it's still used, it's mostly in dinosaur-based Pokémon such as Rampardos or Tyrantrum.
That's because they had a limited amount of menu sprites so needed to make the Pokemon look similar enough so they could use the same menu sprites. :P

If you didn't match any of these guys, YOU DIDN'T EXIST!

I'm kidding BTW. Honestly body shape doesn't really bother me, as long as they make it look interesting I'm fine with it. I'm more interested in what they do with the Pokemon design, especially when it looks similar to a real life animal.

Reactions: JES
Anyway, I think every game has at least one or two of those strange things that aren't even animal-themed. Gen V Had lots, and I agree with Pikachu about the fact the body shape really doesn't matter. It matters if the design if really cool or cute mostly. The Honedge line and Vanillite line are good examples.

Yeah yeah, I can't think of any from Gen II and III. Gen I is just easy to think of, and I never played those two. Deal with it. xD

Anyway, I think every game has at least one or two of those strange things that aren't even animal-themed. Gen V Had lots, and I agree with Pikachu about the fact the body shape really doesn't matter. It matters if the design if really cool or cute mostly. The Honedge line and Vanillite line are good examples.

Yeah yeah, I can't think of any from Gen II and III. Gen I is just easy to think of, and I never played those two. Deal with it. xD
Gen 2 had alphabet soup, gen 3 has a windchime, gen 4 has a mirror and a bell.

Gen 2 had alphabet soup, gen 3 has a windchime, gen 4 has a mirror and a bell.
I hate Chimecho for the sheer fact that it was the LAST Pokemon I needed for my Sapphire Dex. And it was so hidden off at the VERY top of Mt. Chimney. AND it was ridiculously rare on top of it. GRR! I hated it.

Your opinion on Tobias is valid. It's an opinion, after all. Feel free to have it, share it, discuss it, whatever.

But these two latter points fall under our "speculation prohibited" rule. We don't want baseless speculation around the forums, so take stuff like that to our IRC channel if you want to discuss it (and in there, we do, frequently).

Also, so this doesn't become too much of a mod post, here's my unpopular opinion of the week:

Well, I happen to like that sort of body design. Nido and Rhydon are some of my favorite Pokémon design wise. It is nice and simple. That and saurian rhinos are so damn cool.

The Delta episode was episodic and something I'd like to see done more for third member legendary uber pokemon.

If speculation isn't allowed, then change that second opinion of mine.

Postgames in pokemon that involved meaningful high leveled casual battling died at White Forest/Black City

He just used legendary mons to sweep the league. From a logical perspective, he is a trainer who used his most powerful mons to steamroll opponents. Kind of what we do ingame, quite often in speedruns.

It's that the writers just suddenly introduced him and abruptly ended the d/p series which was great overall apart from this. If they had actually introduced him earlier and built his character, it would have been much more believable and easier to stomach. (I am still waiting for the Ash vs the e4 rematches and Ash vs Cynthia battle!)
For me, it's really the fact that he pulled a fucking DARKRAI out of his hat with no backstory or explanation for how he got it. It was just, like, there.

And he probably Dark Voided his way through the gyms, too. There's a Fighting Gym in Sinnoh, and Maylene has a Lucario (which would still quad-resist Dark Pulse at the time) in both game and anime. There's no way a single Dark-type could plow through three (or five) things it's weak to in a fair fight. Then again, Dark-types don't fight fair.

For me, it's really the fact that he pulled a fucking DARKRAI out of his hat with no backstory or explanation for how he got it. It was just, like, there.
There is no need for a backstory, guy caught X, guy use X, guy roflstomp everyone with X, I find it decent to be honest.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And he probably Dark Voided his way through the gyms, too. There's a Fighting Gym in Sinnoh, and Maylene has a Lucario (which would still quad-resist Dark Pulse at the time) in both game and anime. There's no way a single Dark-type could plow through three (or five) things it's weak to in a fair fight. Then again, Dark-types don't fight fair.
It knew Dream Eater which is how he knocked out most Pokemon in the Sinnoh League.

I should probably bring up a new unpopular opinion, and being we're talking about the anime here's one: Pokemon Origins was no better than the normal Pokemon anime. Sure it started out okay, but several times it drifted off the story it claimed it was based directly off. Now I understand needing to change a few things to make a more smooth story (though I would have actually liked it to stick to the game's story), but some points about it bugged me like the Giovanni Gym Battle. I could go into more specifics but I think I'd be nitpicking if I'm not already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)