Unpopular opinions

Hmmm, that would make more sense with it. My main problem with ZardX might be the wings though. In the art and anime, they don't look bad. But for the XY/ORAS model...

Those wings I really don't like. Since when did Charizard have feathers? I can see this is supposed to be a little like a Chinese Dragon (which sometimes have feathers) but this doesn't work here. Comparing it to normal Charizard actually, it really changes nothing about the design except for the colors, wings, and fire coming from its nostrils. Then we have ZardY, who changes the design in obvious spots, but it is still Charizard. We have a cool head crest, the wings are MASSIVE and it has extra wings to aid with flying faster.
Zard-X's wings actually look like they were kind of clipped or shredded from battle damage, which further fits my image of "non-flying physical counterpart to Zard" in my post.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Aye, I'd definitely call those just designs or the effects of battle scarring, not "feathers". It'd be kind of ostentatious and impractical to only have... what, three feathers on each wing?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I actually quite like that - since Mewtwo is a scientific creation, then having a tail growing out of its head actually seems reasonable as a botched experiment.
This would be a neat idea, but unfortunately Mewtwo-Y is known as Mewtwo's "awakening forme" or something along those lines. Plus, mega-evolution is all about awakening the true formes of Pokemon.

Mewtwo's tail is right at home on its head. The scientists took it from Mewtwo's head and put it where a tail "should be".

In theory. Of course, Mewtwo-X exists. Mewtwo's other true forme. Mewtwo is a mixture of the two formes, so arguably Mewtwo is the botched experiment, not Mewtwo-Y.

Well... how woefully inept a scientist would you have to be to end up with a tail there?
Probably just another spinal cord or some blood mechanism to support its brain akin to the double tube. Who knows it's a cat fetus and I'm not well no to spend my time looking for the divergence in the fetus of mammals during gestation.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Well... how woefully inept a scientist would you have to be to end up with a tail there?
There's probably very little canonical connection between Mewtwo's escape from the lab in which it was created in the movies and Mega Mewtwo Y, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was. Humans already proved themselves pretty inept in that case, so going the extra mile to try and harness the power of Mega stones and a powerful creature like Mewtwo... it's so ignorant that it makes sense.

I really hate Shauna and Tierno. Calem/Serena and Trevor are okay, but I despise those two. Shauna is the most annoying little thing that has ever existed. Tierno on the other hand is extremely creepy to me, only beaten by Mr. Bonding. Did her first line have to be, "And i'm Shauna! We're coming to get you!" that line alone is creepy. What would it be like meeting a strange girl who says she is here to get you? I feel sympathy for male players as well, they endure this, "Um… You know… I've never watched fireworks alone with a boy before." can she be any more sappy? She reminds me of a neighbor I have, who is really nice, but something about her ticks me off and makes me want to punch someone. Tierno is alright, I just don't like him for unknown reasons.

I really hate Shauna and Tierno. Calem/Serena and Trevor are okay, but I despise those two. Shauna is the most annoying little thing that has ever existed. Tierno on the other hand is extremely creepy to me, only beaten by Mr. Bonding. Did her first line have to be, "And i'm Shauna! We're coming to get you!" that line alone is creepy. What would it be like meeting a strange girl who says she is here to get you? I feel sympathy for male players as well, they endure this, "Um… You know… I've never watched fireworks alone with a boy before." can she be any more sappy? She reminds me of a neighbor I have, who is really nice, but something about her ticks me off and makes me want to punch someone. Tierno is alright, I just don't like him for unknown reasons.
I don't mind Tierno, but I agree that Shauna is the most annoying thing ever.

My issue is the fact that the multiple rivals flat out have no purpose, because they neither contribute significantly to the plot, nor do they have their own arcs in any real detail, so having any beyond the standard one in Serena feels like a waste of time.

In B&W, both Cheren and Bianca had their own motivations that was gone into over the course of the story while battling them. Meanwhile every other game pretty much stuck to one rival because they didn't intend to do much of anything with them.

I can't remember anything of Tierno or Trevor's personalities (in terms of names I sometimes even for get which is which), and while SHauna had a personality, I don't think she had any real goal in mind. It all might've taken away from Serena, who's only real purpose seemed to be for the sake of someone to battle for the Mega Bracelet.

My issue is the fact that the multiple rivals flat out have no purpose, because they neither contribute significantly to the plot, nor do they have their own arcs in any real detail, so having any beyond the standard one in Serena feels like a waste of time.

In B&W, both Cheren and Bianca had their own motivations that was gone into over the course of the story while battling them. Meanwhile every other game pretty much stuck to one rival because they didn't intend to do much of anything with them.

I can't remember anything of Tierno or Trevor's personalities (in terms of names I sometimes even for get which is which), and while SHauna had a personality, I don't think she had any real goal in mind. It all might've taken away from Serena, who's only real purpose seemed to be for the sake of someone to battle for the Mega Bracelet.
Trevor's the walking dictionary.
Tierno is the fat-ass dancer guy.
Shauna is just a pain.
Serena at least gets battled periodically throughout the story, and is your real rival.

I do like though how they have alternate rivals for X/Y depending on whether you are the male or female character.
But it had been done before in Hoenn.
I didn't really care for the rivals. I didn't hate them, but none of them had any personallity that made them enjoyable. If it wasn't for the fact they all called me "Lord Vader", I wouldn't have any real fun involving them other than trouncing them. Also, none of them were as difficult as some previous rivals. Even now, Blue still has a nice bit of challenge (well, for Pokémon) yet them? I would send in the appropriate type (usually Delphox, Blastoise, or Simisage) and just wipe the floor with them.

To be honest, most of the rivals after Blue are nothing in comparison. While I do like Bianca and Cheren since they actually had stories and stuff, Blue was just the perfect rival. You want to beat his smug, arrogant face in.

I must say Bianca and quilfish guy where really fun friendly rivals, if I recall Bianca freaking tops Cheren by just having fun with her darlings level and team wise and Hugh despite everything helps you move forward and it's helpful without being annoying.

But I have to agree birch kid was lame, Silver is almost as overrated as Red and Barry wich was a bit obnoxious was quite a good rival along the ride.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
TBH I feel like the two rivals we could have done without are Tierno (seriously what is even the point of him? Dancing attacks isn't even a game mechanic, it's pure flavour) and Serena/Calem. Your "main rival" was so deathly boring that beating them didn't feel like satisfaction in the slightest. What do we know about them? Their parents are like super famous renowned trainers, aaaaaaand.... that's about it. The only remotely interesting thing about them is when you fought them for the Mega-Evolution bracelet, but just to see what happened I once lost to them on purpose and they just give you the bracelet anyway.

If Serena/Calem didn't exist and you fought Shauna all the time, there would have been plenty of instances to properly develop her character and actually make her interesting. I don't really understand what the problem is that people have with her, because I never found her annoying. That fireworks scene always stood out as a hidden gem to me in an otherwise criminally bland game story-wise.

Trevor is also pretty neat, just because his idea of a Pokemon battle (comparing PokeDexes) legitimately made me laugh a little bit when I first played on my X due to how completely ridiculous and uncool he is. I feel like, like so many other things in X and Y's story, there were grounds with Trevor to actually build a nice little arc in the story. He's so timid and demure to start with... if he joined you half way through your adventure and developed as a character, breaking out of that shell, there would have been a real purpose to him besides trying to entice newer players into catching/seeing loads of Pokemon and it would have actually made people care about him. The same grounds to build upon don't exist with lolTierno and Calem/Serena.

But it had been done before in Hoenn.
I didn't really care for the rivals. I didn't hate them, but none of them had any personallity that made them enjoyable. If it wasn't for the fact they all called me "Lord Vader", I wouldn't have any real fun involving them other than trouncing them. Also, none of them were as difficult as some previous rivals. Even now, Blue still has a nice bit of challenge (well, for Pokémon) yet them? I would send in the appropriate type (usually Delphox, Blastoise, or Simisage) and just wipe the floor with them.

To be honest, most of the rivals after Blue are nothing in comparison. While I do like Bianca and Cheren since they actually had stories and stuff, Blue was just the perfect rival. You want to beat his smug, arrogant face in.
I always cared more for Silver than Blue. He always seemed more interesting to me because he had the same smugness and egotisticalism about him, but actual story and character development too.

Tierno seems to be the most hated of the three friendly rivals, if I recall correctly. I'm actually one of the few people who happen to like him for some strange reason without hating on the other rivals. I like Trevor's goal most, though: filling up the Pokedex.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah according to TV Tropes hating Tierno is nothing new... outside of Japan. In Japan he's really popular apparently, as he topped a favorite character poll or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 5)