Unpopular opinions

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Most people are content to say the Anime's only awful these days, or even just after gen 1 or 2, but honestly... the worst thing the anime done in my opinion was in the first episode.
Ho-oh's appearance. It annoys the fuck out of me.
Now not necessarily the episode itself; the way it does it is fine. It's more the fact that it's never brought up again. I mean... okay, there's that one scene in the Pokémon Center in the next episode (or was it the episode after? idk) where Ash tells Oak about it, but beyond that nothing. Come on, this is the thing that inspired Ash to be a trainer, and not only was it a Pokémon we'd never seen before, it was a Legendary we'd never seen before. You'd think they'd make some arc out of it; but when they get to Ecruteak in Gen 2... I think Ash might have mentioned it? But nothing else. It's so annoying.
I remember an episode in Bill's place where Ash was comparing ancient drawings of the 3 kanto legendary birds with the Ho-oh he had seen, so I think it was brought up more than just the three episodes; they were just forgettable moments.

Most people are content to say the Anime's only awful these days, or even just after gen 1 or 2, but honestly... the worst thing the anime done in my opinion was in the first episode.
Now not necessarily the episode itself; the way it does it is fine. It's more the fact that it's never brought up again. I mean... okay, there's that one scene in the Pokémon Center in the next episode (or was it the episode after? idk) where Ash tells Oak about it, but beyond that nothing. Come on, this is the thing that inspired Ash to be a trainer, and not only was it a Pokémon we'd never seen before, it was a Legendary we'd never seen before. You'd think they'd make some arc out of it; but when they get to Ecruteak in Gen 2... I think Ash might have mentioned it? But nothing else. It's so annoying.
They also mention it in Johto when they get to the Tin Tower. He tells Eusine about it and he freaks the hell out

Didn't he see it flying towards Hoenn after the Silver Conference? That inspired him to go to that region.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The first season of the anime is only enjoyable for how weird it is when compared to the later stuff, and even then when I watched it on Netflix I couldn't keep myself interested to pay attention the entire time or even finish it. Also Johto is when the unjustified* filler hells starts happening.

*Orange Islands was justified to a degree because Gold and Silver weren't out yet (can't find the exact timeframe but it was like a year or so before they came out I think?), plus the writers got to be a little more creative with the Gym challenges. Also that battle with what's-his-face the champion is actually pretty good.

*Orange Islands was justified to a degree because Gold and Silver weren't out yet (can't find the exact timeframe but it was like a year or so before they came out I think?), plus the writers got to be a little more creative with the Gym challenges. Also that battle with what's-his-face the champion is actually pretty good.
Drake, the dude with the ten-move Dragonite. I enjoyed that battle too, although I found myself wondering that if this Dragonite was so powerful, why didn't he try to lure out and beat Lapras first to give Dragonite a potential sweep.

Drake, the dude with the ten-move Dragonite. I enjoyed that battle too, although I found myself wondering that if this Dragonite was so powerful, why didn't he try to lure out and beat Lapras first to give Dragonite a potential sweep.
It was still early in the anime where Pokemon with type advantages routinely were beaten by Pokemon they should be strong or immune to *cough*Brock's Geodude*cough*. They probably didn't care too much about that. Also, did Drake even know Ash had the Lapras really until that battle? I mean I don't remember the episodes but even if he saw it there was no guarantee that it would be used in battle. Remember the Lapras was still a child so he could have thought that Ash would send out a stronger Pokemon first.

I do like reading that the reason why the Dragonite knew 10 moves was just to make it seem even more powerful by having moves for and against everything.

I really don't like the idea of Event Pokemon. While it seems okay at first, "Oh! If I go here and do something, I get a (insert Event legendary)" I can see the drawbacks. Some of these events are in other countries, which would make it unaccessible for other players. Also, they end. When the event is over, you probably won't have another chance to get that Pokemon. So, you wan't to complete the dex you say? Well, you need all of these guys, and, you can't get them anymore! Event pokemon should not be needed for the dex.

Karxrida

I let the 10-move thing slide because there's no way to justify the fours moves thing outside of the context of game mechanics.

I really don't like the idea of Event Pokemon. While it seems okay at first, "Oh! If I go here and do something, I get a (insert Event legendary)" I can see the drawbacks. Some of these events are in other countries, which would make it unaccessible for other players. Also, they end. When the event is over, you probably won't have another chance to get that Pokemon. So, you wan't to complete the dex you say? Well, you need all of these guys, and, you can't get them anymore! Event pokemon should not be needed for the dex.
According to TV Tropes and a bunch of other people, nobody really likes Event Mons.

Last edited:
My big problem with Event Mons is just that they're (/their item version is) only available temporarily, despite the fact that Wi-Fi pretty much should have them indefinitely available, whether it's an update or just a continuous distribution. And that's again only if Event mons have to exist in the first place.

The thing that irritates me most about the 4 moves mechanic is when you have moves that are just stronger versions of each other, such as Thundershock -> Thunderbolt.

I kind of wonder how it would affect the game if they were like FF Bolt -> Bolt 2 -> Bolt 3, and electric moves in a certain slot just drew from a PP pool for that slot (Flamethrower draws 2, Fire Blast draws 3, for example). Might screw with the game balance, but still irks me.

Reactions: JES

Karxrida

The thing that irritates me most about the 4 moves mechanic is when you have moves that are just stronger versions of each other, such as Thundershock -> Thunderbolt.

I kind of wonder how it would affect the game if they were like FF Bolt -> Bolt 2 -> Bolt 3, and electric moves in a certain slot just drew from a PP pool for that slot (Flamethrower draws 2, Fire Blast draws 3, for example). Might screw with the game balance, but still irks me.
I think this was brought up before, and the answer to why it's like that is game balance + making the player feel like they're getting stronger as the game progresses.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
According to TV Tropes and a bunch of other people, nobody really likes Event Mons.
I do. :(

I despise those stupid serial code events though, the ones where you have to go to Gamestop or w/e to get. If you're gonna force me to go to some store that I rarely/never visit, at least give me the Pokemon straight up like the old days of Gen IV, not a card with instructions on "how to download the Pokemon at home." It's a shame since that's becoming the go-to way to do events now.

I despise those stupid serial code events though, the ones where you have to go to Gamestop or w/e to get. If you're gonna force me to go to some store that I rarely/never visit, at least give me the Pokemon straight up like the old days of Gen IV, not a card with instructions on "how to download the Pokemon at home." It's a shame since that's becoming the go-to way to do events now.
I am actually fine with event Pokemon too. And I'm fine with the serial code events. It's better than having to go to Gamestop and trying to download the Pokemon since so many Gamestops played stupid with like "Oh, the wifi is turned off here we can't access the event" (I literally heard that excuse a couple of times. The funny part is the other Gamestop in the mall had it working. Hmmmmm).

Well, 4th gen is my favorite soooo...
And how the hell do people like gen 5 over anything? It was so fucking terrible...
This is a thread about unpopular opinions, so of course you're going to see people liking stuff others usually don't. I personally also find gen 5 disgusting. But I do like not having running shoes in gen 1 and 2, something others don't like at all. That's what makes this thread so interesting, in my opinion :)

._. Black and White 1 were great games, them being bad is not unpopular at all (but imo totally false)

I'm depressed at XY now because I essentially soloed the game with Mega Luke, Mega Zard X, and Xerneas.

I got stuck in the sewers in Black 2... haven't played it since.

I did steal* the game from my brother because he wasn't playing anymore. :3

*By steal I mean I asked him if I could have it.

It's might be cheaper to print up a bunch of cardboard than to make a special DS card like they used to.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
It's might be cheaper to print up a bunch of cardboard than to make a special DS card like they used to.
Eh, if it's that big of a deal, wynaut just make serial codes and the majority of other events an online thing then, and host just a couple of irl events once in a blue moon? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Game Freak is necessarily short on cash.

Idk, maybe I'm just being an old fart here, but getting the Pokemon straight up is more of an incentive for me to take a moment out of my busy schedule to run by a Game Stop for a brief second, not to mention it adds to the rarity and sentimental value of said Pokemon; a piece of cardboard for a code I could easily get from someone online isn't much of a reason for me to step aside for a moment to go and grab from a store that I would otherwise have no reason to stop at. Judging from the majority of users in the Wi-Fi sub-section that are requesting for Maxsoft Rayquaza/Game Stop Dragonite codes, I don't believe I'm the only one who feels this way.

I like serial code events, considering the fact that game shops aren't really a thing in my country. Before serial code events, I couldn't get my own event Pokemon at all, period. It's also cool for people who move to a region their 3DS isn't native to, since they can still have a fair chance of taking part in events for their 3DS region by asking for event codes online.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Ah, but there's the rub: access. Not every American has a Gamestop within reasonable distance, for example.
I like serial code events, considering the fact that game shops aren't really a thing in my country. Before serial code events, I couldn't get my own event Pokemon at all, period. It's also cool for people who move to a region their 3DS isn't native to, since they can still have a fair chance of taking part in events for their 3DS region by asking for event codes online.
I'm not knocking serial code events as a whole; I'm perfectly fine with online-based serial code events, like the Unova starters and PGL events for instance. It's the codes that you have to obtain from a store that irks me. To me, it feels like Game Freak's trying to fuse the modern online events with the past method of going to a local store to acquire the Pokemon, which just unnecessarily complicates the process. Irl-based serial codes events aren't really much different from irl-Wonder Card events, since not many people out there will just hand out the codes online without asking for a trade or some other form of compensation.

._. Black and White 1 were great games, them being bad is not unpopular at all (but imo totally false)

I'm depressed at XY now because I essentially soloed the game with Mega Luke, Mega Zard X, and Xerneas.
Well, every game's easy to be honest. I could get through White with a team of Stunfisk, Eviolite Dewott and Billy the Fly Slave Pidove™.

I like them because it allows me to get extras for friends. The codes are a one-time-use code but depending on how many Gamestops I go to I can get plenty. Like right now I have 4 Dragonite codes. One's mine, one's my brother's, one's going to a friend of mine, and the last is up for grabs.

For the Diancie event I got like a dozen total and gave them all away except for two of them.

The Pokémon games are not fun anymore to me due to GF's refusal to do anything new beyond Mega Evolution. The only things I really enjoy about Pokémon these days are the world and multi battles with friends - the games themselves are extremely primitive and outdated compared to what other RPGs can do these days.

Might as well drop my other opinions:

1. Fennekin is best Kalos Starter.

2. Pokemon Rumble is more fun to me than PMD. With the obvious exception of Rumble U.

3. I wish they gave two mega evolutions to other, more obscure Pokemon, not the overhyped as fuck genetic purple fetus cat or the lizard with wings and a fiery tail.

4. Gen 5 is my favorite generation.

5. Diancie is a better Smash Bros. character candidate than Sceptile.

6. I found the way they used a female Mewtwo in the 16th movie to be creative and unique.

7. The anime fanbase is almost as bad as the Sonic fanbase. Almost.

8. Dragon could use a higher offensive coverage. I mean, why is it only super effective against itself?

8. Dragon could use a higher offensive coverage. I mean, why is it only super effective against itself?
Well, that's because the Dragon type is characterized by high base power in it's moves and generally high offensive stats in many of it's (fully evolved) Pokémon, so this is seen as a way to balance it out (sort of in the same way Normal is; I mean it has a no-drawback physical attack of 102 base power and it's super effective against nothing). Not saying you're wrong or whatever; just giving the reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)