Unpopular opinions

Here's my unpopular opinion.

After seeing them in ROM hacks, I'd love that if for future Pokémon games, to add surprise field effects to the battles depending on where you battle. For example a battle in a forest that powers up Grass type attacks and weakens Water types. Or have a Fire type attack burn the battlefield and either nullify the effect and/or damage all other types. Or a battle in a cave where using Earthquake brings the cave down on everyone for massive damage. As I see it, field effects open the game way up and adds in factors that can be difficult and challenging to account for. Especially in a competitive battle. A certain Pokémon may not be so good. But if it has the home field advantage don't count it out just yet! Or a powerful OU Pokémon finds itself at the mercy of an RU Pokémon due to field disadvantage.

Here's something I don't think I've ever heard said before: I like Rotom-Wash as a design and concept. While most of us here on Smogon like Rotom-Wash as a competitive Pokémon (and for good reason), but everyone rolls their eyes at the fact that there is a washing machine Pokémon. Personally, I think it is funny and cute. I'm not completely sure why, but I just do. It has always been my favorite Rotom form, ever since I first saw it back in Generation IV, and it just fun to send out a washing machine to end my opponents.
As the first video game I ever owned was Banjo-Kazooie, I too have an ornate fondness for killer washing machines.

After seeing them in ROM hacks, I'd love that if for future Pokémon games, to add surprise field effects to the battles depending on where you battle. For example a battle in a forest that powers up Grass type attacks and weakens Water types. Or have a Fire type attack burn the battlefield and either nullify the effect and/or damage all other types. Or a battle in a cave where using Earthquake brings the cave down on everyone for massive damage. As I see it, field effects open the game way up and adds in factors that can be difficult and challenging to account for. Especially in a competitive battle. A certain Pokémon may not be so good. But if it has the home field advantage don't count it out just yet! Or a powerful OU Pokémon finds itself at the mercy of an RU Pokémon due to field disadvantage.
Er... the games already have this and it's called weather.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think what he's trying to say is that he thinks it would be a cool idea for Pokemon battles in future games to be more tied into the environment in which they are taking place in. Weather is cool and all and has cool effects in them, and can be summoned by Pokemon at will, but he's saying an interesting concept would be battled tied to the environment and location in which they are taking place. Rockslides in caves after using EQ, or incineration of the battlefield with Fire-type moves in the forest. He's saying it would be an interesting concept to tie in the environment of the specific location in the Pokemon game to a Pokemon battle and in a way have the environment directly affect circumstances in a Pokemon battle and cause some unique field effects to give Pokemon battles in the future an interesting twist. What he's thinking is something somewhat different from weather, better yet a more advanced form of field effect: like a battle being directly affected by taking place in a cave, or by being in the forest, or even while on water using Surf: these kinds of environments all causing field effects.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Well they're sorta doing this now with the new Field moves. But will they ever go all out with Grass- and Bug-type getting powered-up in a forest, Water-types in water, Rock- and Ground-types in mountains, etc.? Probably not. For one thing that might further limit the Pokemon who can appear in those areas. Like why would an Electric-type live in a forest or a Water-type ever go on land? Where would Flying-types get their boost being the only game to have the sky as a place you can encounter Pokemon is ORAS and who knows if that isn't just a one off thing? What about Dragon and Fairy, where would they get a power-up? Normal and Fighting? It sounds like a good and obvious idea at first but when it comes down to it it may add in a complexity which is unfair to some Pokemon. If they want to do things with the environment special moves are the way to go, be it a move that creates an environment or uses its current surrounding to do something for them (like Nature Power).

Back in my day unpopular opinions were opinions that made you unpopular for having them, not unpopular because not many people had them.
Yeah, the thread has just turned into a "A Wild Opinion Appeared!" thread where any old opinion, unpopular or just not talked about a lot, is posted. Would an official "A Wild Opinion Appeared!" thread be allowed?

New Unpopular Opinion: Here's something that's possibly an unpopular opinion: I hate how the recent sagas of the Pokemon Special manga has been doing things. Now I understand that things need to be changed when adapting one source to another. Games have a lot of extra content that's meant to help immerse the player into the game world while a written story usually has a main character and we're seeing the written world through their eyes. And I haven't really had a problem with previous interpretations of the Pokemon Special manga. However I felt that what they did with BW2 and XY just isn't sitting right.

To go into detail, in the BW2 games the story is you and your childhood friend & rival, Hue, have grew up together and have decided to go on a Pokemon journey to help Hue get back his little sister's Purloin that was stolen by Team Plasma 2 years ago. Now there's a bit more to it and from there the story of course grows, but that's how it basically begins. How does the manga tell this story? Well one thing to remember here is that the manga sort of has to include both the male and female playable character so already there's an extra element, however that's not really a problem and previously I liked how they've done it. But in BW2? For one thing Lack-Two and Whi-Two (yes, that's really Nate and Rosa's manga names...) both have just moved to Aspertia Town so they have no connection at all with Hue essentially pushing his story entirely to the sidelines. But that's not my only problem. Now the interesting thing about Whi-Two is that she's a former Team Plasma member and they moved to Aspertia Town hoping to start a new life (though Whi-Two is in love with N and wants to find him, that's why she goes on a Pokemon journey since she doesn't really care about Pokemon). Now I have no problem with this, it actually makes for an interesting backstory and it has places for her to grow. My problem is with Lack-Two. Lack-Two is a super secret agent who's looking for former agents of Team Plasma. He's a womanizer and manipulator, sometimes combining both to seek out Team Plasma agents, and what's more baffling is that Looker answer to him. What?! It feels forced like they reallly wanted him to be the butt heads with Whi-Two, but this is just too far. First off you make him unrelatable and unlikeable. Two you didn't need him to be like that because had he just been a kid from Aspertia and friends with Hue I'm sure Hue could have filled that role. Three you have Looker, why make Lack-Two an agent. And why is Lack-Two a "super agent"? Looker, a veteran agent of the International Police who has been involved with arresting Charon and sent to Unova to investigate Team Plasma two year prior... is answering to a kid?
I like how they did things in DPP, where Diamond and Pearl were friends like in the game but they had a gimmick (they both wanted to be a comedy duo). Platinum (though called Lady Berlitz at first because they didn't know what the third version would be called at the time) was a girl from an upper class and rich family who's family tradition was to go on a Pokemon journey. After a mix-up, Diamond and Pearl were accidentally given the job to guard Platinum on her journey (them thinking they were on a reality TV show so they went along with it). Yes its a bit wacky but they still followed the story and just added their own twist to it.

Going to XY, once again I have a problem with the male character. Now they did change the story by having all 5 kids knowing each other but I have no problem with that as it doesn't really change the story much (the only reason they did it in the games was so that the rivals would introduce themselves to you so you'll know who they are, otherwise they act as if they've known you for years). My problem is in the characterization. X in a trainer prodigy who won a Junior Pokemon Tournament with his Kangaskhan and received a Mega Ring as a prize. After winning the tournament he gets swarmed by journalists and the trauma of that makes him becomes a shut-in. He's so much of a shut-in infact that in order to force him onto a Pokemon Journey they needed to have Yveltal and Xerneas use Vaniville Town as a battleground and completely destroying it (which is hilarious, all the manga should start that way. Our main protagonists are getting ready to go on their journey but just before they do BOOM! The mascot Legendaries appear and start wrecking their home town! Now get going on your journey because you don't have a home anymore you little brats!). But anyway, really? After just that one bad experience he decides to become a shut-in? I can understand not liking reporters after that (and also I kind of find the whole "swarmed" by reporter things dumb too. It's just a junior battling tournament, yeah X was good in it but its not like he just became the Champion. Heck I'd think most reporters would consider this is small story, they definitely wouldn't swarm him. Also being X was a kid I'd like to think that reporters would have more intelligence that swarming a child like that would be a bit traumatic to them) but there's a difference between refusing to have anything do with reporters and shutting yourself away from the world and your friends.
Also another problem which I can sort of understand them doing but think is a bit misguided was that they actually tried to make Team Flare a serious threat. Yeah, no. You're trying to turn this:

Into something to be taken seriously? THEY'RE SUPPOSE TO BE A JOKE! But instead the manga tries making them into an efficient task force to be reckon with.

And going off that, there is another complaint I have concerning Team Flare, specifically with Lysandre. Both the manga and anime seems to think that Lysandre's plans heavily rely on Mega Evolution. They don't. Yes Lysandre has a passing interest in Mega Evolution but it wasn't really part of his plan, at most he was only studying it to maybe help him understand the power used by the Ultimate Weapon and/or as a tool to help him battle anything that gets in his way. His main goal was using the power of Yveltal/Xerneas to power the Ultimate Weapon, Mega Evolution never really factored in until you battled him and he sends out his Mega Gyarados.

Green was a dick in the first two or three Pokemon Adventures she appeared in. I had to say it. She stole and conned Red and other people, had her own mini-plan... she didn't even return Red's badges!

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Green was a dick in the first two or three Pokemon Adventures she appeared in. I had to say it. She stole and conned Red and other people, had her own mini-plan... she didn't even return Red's badges!
You're getting Blue and Green mixed up. Blue is the female protagonist in the Manga (not like the games, where Blue was Oak's grandson), while Green is Red's rival & Oak's grandson in the Manga.

You're getting Blue and Green mixed up. Blue is the female protagonist in the Manga (not like the games, where Blue was Oak's grandson), while Green is Red's rival & Oak's grandson in the Manga.
Depends what translation you read. The more recent (I believe) Singapore translation says Red is the protagonist, Blue is the rival (like in the games), and Green is the girl.

The only standalone Pikachu short I've watched so far was the Meloetta one in English, and it was adorable.

An (Well-accepted? Who knows) opinion: The problem I have with the English dub, especially 4kids' at the time ( and even now), wasn't the voice acting. It was the dialogue, soundtrack changes, and unnecessary edits. They're getting better with the edits, but still.

I actually enjoyed MOST of the soundtrack changes. Apparently the original Japanese version had a ton of dead time in the soundtrack that the American dub filled in. I didn't mid the innocuous background music.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I havent seen these posted yet (i think they are unpopular so dont bite me):
I sort of like how serena hasnt done much yet ash is near his 6th badge (well for were im at). In past series may/dawn would have several ribbons already which i think is kind of stupid since (iirc) they only failed one contest before winning. Serena watches ash train and tries to learn from it, rather from becoming a master straight away. However i do admit it would be nice if she had more of a focus on her contest stuff (i want that girl she met in the poffin making competition to come back as well). Also dubs not subs :]

I like what bw did to try in making a game with new pokemon, but i just think they did it badly. BW had the potential to be a lot different, like have a much longer play through when trying to beat alder, but they made you want to stop playing after the level jump. Having a completely new pokedex was something a i really enjoyed, as that was my first game since like ruby

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Despite Serena being immensely popular in Japan (most popular Pokemon female ever)
I think Serena is just meh...
I think her personality isn't obvious enough.

Yeah, I read the English translation. Red is main, Blue is the rival, and Green is the female character.
American English : Green= girl, Blue= Rival
Singaporean English (same as Japanese and other Asian translations) : Green= rival, Blue= girl.

Well aren't translations a strange little thing. I thought it was on purpose that they wanted it to be like this, oh, Red has the green colored starter, Blue has the red starter, and Green has the blue one!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I havent seen these posted yet (i think they are unpopular so dont bite me):
I sort of like how serena hasnt done much yet ash is near his 6th badge (well for were im at). In past series may/dawn would have several ribbons already which i think is kind of stupid since (iirc) they only failed one contest before winning. Serena watches ash train and tries to learn from it, rather from becoming a master straight away. However i do admit it would be nice if she had more of a focus on her contest stuff (i want that girl she met in the poffin making competition to come back as well). Also dubs not subs :]

I like what bw did to try in making a game with new pokemon, but i just think they did it badly. BW had the potential to be a lot different, like have a much longer play through when trying to beat alder, but they made you want to stop playing after the level jump. Having a completely new pokedex was something a i really enjoyed, as that was my first game since like ruby
Taking Her (and Our) Time: Serena taking her time to get into what she wants to do is fine but my problem is that she's doing not much else. And yes, you could say the same thing for Misty and Iris but Misty did try to catch new Pokemon and actively battled people (though by Johto he had become sort of a tag-a-long so thus started the tradition of replacing the female character every saga) and we also complained about Iris not really do anything. The problem with introducing female characters like Iris and Serena after May and Dawn is that both of them were actively doing. And yes, maybe their rise as Coordinators seem a bit unbelievable for new trainers since Contests were a knockout tournament where only the winner got ribbons (had say the top 3 got Ribbons maybe then it would be believable as they could have had them winning 3rd and 2nd as well), but for the sake of the story that could be overlooked (they did lose some competitions and they didn't win the Grand Festivals). But now that Serena has a goal we'll see her doing more stuff so I guess the point is moot. Also your problem with May and Dawn being Coordinator masters? Serena won her first key in her second Showcase performance and it's likely she'll continue on a winning streak despite being a new trainer. :P

Also Miette (the girl with the Slurpuff from the Pokepuff Baking Contest) has returned in XY079 (the episode where Serena wins the Showcase) as a Performer so it looks like she's officially Serena's rival. Though being Showcases are like Contests where you need to win to get a key I don't think we'll seeing much of her, maybe one or two more times before the final competition.

BW All Over: We discussed this somewhere before, but I pointed out why the idea of a region full of new Pokemon doesn't work as well as one may think. Though what makes the games popular is its metagame it still needs to apply to some basic RPG elements. You just can't get the best stuff right off the bat, you need to build yourself up thus "weaker" Pokemon need to exist to help fill that gap. Now Pokemon can sort of subvert this trope since Pokemon evolve thus these initially weak Pokemon used to get the player through the first part of the game can become much more useful in their later evolution (Talonflame and Diggersby is proof of that being evolutions of the gen bird and rodent yet are considered OU Pokemon). Of course XY was only able to do that because they had previous gen birds and rodents to fill up the gaps and didn't introduce that as many new (non-Mega) Pokemon. Not so much for BW, it introduced over 150 new Pokemon so it needed to fill those gaps a previous gen Pokemon could have filled. Honestly its what you do with the new Pokemon which helps them stand out not how many you introduce.

The level jump was a bit of a surprise when post game I battled a Plasma grunts who Pokemon's levels were nearly equal to mine, however after exploring around a bit (and maybe grinded somewhere, I don't remember) I managed to level up my team again where I was once again the boss.

Since Codraroll doesn't seem to mind as long as it's decently written, here's a CAP-related opinion.

I genuinely like Plasmanta outside of that stupid memetic mutation that is Ohmagod. I actually liked the flavor behind the concept as well, even though the gameplay behind killing your own Pokémon to switch in another wouldn't have worked. Maybe Plasmanta are just willing to sacrifice their lives to save those of a domesticated Gyarados in need? Snugglow, on the other hand, are just generically cute to me, and don't seem to have any particular relationship with Magikarp.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Since Codraroll doesn't seem to mind as long as it's decently written, here's a CAP-related opinion.

I genuinely like Plasmanta outside of that stupid memetic mutation that is Ohmagod. I actually liked the flavor behind the concept as well, even though the gameplay behind killing your own Pokémon to switch in another wouldn't have worked. Maybe Plasmanta are just willing to sacrifice their lives to save those of a domesticated Gyarados in need? Snugglow, on the other hand, are just generically cute to me, and don't seem to have any particular relationship with Magikarp.
I find CAP to to be an interesting project... though at the same time I do have some criticism of it. Now I understand that being this is a community project on a forum focusing on advanced metagame that a focus is needed. Still, I kind of feel sometimes the concept picked is maybe a bit too specific that it results in people finding other uses for the CAP thus all that work for nothing (like if I recall people just started using Plasmanta as is since it was fast and had a high enough Special Attack). Now I guess versatility shows how well designed the CAP was made, but when the versatility of it doesn't really include its original purpose does it still count as a success?

I find CAP to to be an interesting project... though at the same time I do have some criticism of it. Now I understand that being this is a community project on a forum focusing on advanced metagame that a focus is needed. Still, I kind of feel sometimes the concept picked is maybe a bit too specific that it results in people finding other uses for the CAP thus all that work for nothing (like if I recall people just started using Plasmanta as is since it was fast and had a high enough Special Attack). Now I guess versatility shows how well designed the CAP was made, but when the versatility of it doesn't really include its original purpose does it still count as a success?
The thing is that stuff even happens with the real Pokemon. Remember hearing about Gamefreak's shock that Aegislash was being used a special sweeper?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I thought this thread was about official stuff, not fan projects.

Next thing you know people will start talking about some fanfiction most of us have never heard of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 5)