Unpopular opinions

Looking through Aegislash's movepool I can maybe see where they're coming from. For one thing it doesn't naturally learn any Special moves while even by TM or Tutor the only useful Special Moves it gets are Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon. But what they probably didn't realize is that's what it only needed. Shadow Ball is its strongest Ghost-type attack and its strongest Steel-type attack is tied with Flash Cannon and Iron Head (which is maybe why they're surprised by Flash Cannon, Iron Head is just as strong). Of course what probably gives Flash Cannon more of a push is that its secondary effect can happen any time while Iron Head needs to move first and with a Speed of 60 it's not going to (heck, I think 60 is considered too high for a Trick Room team). Also considering that King Shield lowers the opponent's Attack and there's Abilities like Intimidate it might be a better idea to use its Special Attack so that the opponent's can't mess with your strategy by doing some trickery with the Attack stat.
Nope, flash cannon punishes the switch ins better than iron head as it doesn't fear contact conditions nor intimidate or burns. Even with the fairy type overall being more about spdef than def it's already punished hard by it.

They never considered any special move in that interview, although they where mostly surprised by flash cannon.

Odly enough it's the physical options the ones that are situational on aegis, pursuit, ssneak, headsmash, ssword and lol shadow claw if you want to underperform... Then the support choices that we know and love, specially mono attacking sub toxic due to its great stab neutral coverage and ability to force switches XD.

Aegislash is the prime example of the game designers idea of balance as they pull a big "We didn't think this through" even for the standards of an intimidate plagued metagame like doubles... Wich is the one the designers where trying to cater since the 4th gen.

Last edited:
I think I might be the only person who likes the Eon Flute. All I've seen about it is negative. I love it. While the Mega Evolution animation isn't needed, I do enjoy soaring over Hoenn as it is much more interesting and visual than the meh Flying animations of the past. Also, just being able to push X and a direction feels better than pushing the tiny button on the touch screen/Y and A, selecting the Pokémon with Fly and picking Fly. That and I don't need a Fly HM slave at all. I can keep my normal team active at all times. It makes Elite Four challenges better since I don't have to walk through low-level routes, encountering wild Pokémon not worth my time, just to get the Fly HM slave. It just is a pain.
In short, I love the Eon Flute.

Yeah I mean, it's probably just personal preference but I don't really find soaring a pain even after a thousand times. It's pretty nice to see a pretty graphical representation of Hoenn, it's not hard to fly to places (except the safari zone due to being such a small area so close to it's route), and it... doesn't waste TOO much time, really just a few seconds. Hell I sometimes find myself just flying around randomly just for fun.

It really helps me when I don't have my designated flyer in my party. Sometimes I'm only carrying stuff like my competitive Volcarona (which has Flame Body) and a bunch of eggs so if I need to do something else, I can just Soar. It will also help me in my current Omega Ruby playthrough where my main team will not have anyone that can use Fly (all electric Pokemon but I want them to have my OT so no Zapdos or Thundurus)

It really helps me when I don't have my designated flyer in my party. Sometimes I'm only carrying stuff like my competitive Volcarona (which has Flame Body) and a bunch of eggs so if I need to do something else, I can just Soar. It will also help me in my current Omega Ruby playthrough where my main team will not have anyone that can use Fly (all electric Pokemon but I want them to have my OT so no Zapdos or Thundurus)
I mean to be fair, the biggest flaw with the Eon Flute tbh is the fact you only get it after Cave of Origin. I mean, reason's obvious - it's the way you get to the mirage spots with National Dex mon, but you mostly use Fly before that point (going back to Slateport after Lilycove, then going back to Lilycove, etc)

You didn't really need to Fly at all in ORAS, though. There was a lot of warping in the storyline so you didn't have to worry about traversing routes you already cleared to reach the next plot-point.

I don't really get how you could prefer Fly over Soar anyway. I always kind of wanted a cinematic of the player going in a little arc on their Flying-mon over a perspective view of the region when Flying, and Soaring kind of gives me that.

I always kind of wanted a cinematic of the player going in a little arc on their Flying-mon over a perspective view of the region when Flying, and Soaring kind of gives me that.
...and I just wanted to get somewhere without watching #^=£÷^$ cutscenes. Then ORAS and mirage spots happened.

As for unpopular opinions? I never liked any of the main game stories. (Never liked any of side games ones either)

I just close my eyes and mash A through any dialouge, especially all the friendship speeches in X/Y. I tend to just grind with my starter and only catch HM slaves.

All I want to do is beat the E4 so I can breed/SR legends.

My main problem is that the Eon Flute just feels redundant when Fly could be used for the same travel. If the Mirage Spots were the reason, then just don't have Mirage Spots appear until post- Cave of Origin, since most of the legendaries are Hoopa messing around.

Been replaying Platinum. While it was the game that got me back into pokemon after divorcing it in high school, and it's poor taste to hate on the current unloved middle child no-remake game, and that Gen 4 gave us many many things to be thankful for (phys/special split, wifi trading/battling, HGSS, Team Galactic Battle Music, Garchomp...)

But man-o-man, Sinnoh has issues. Especially in the level design, just so much artificial difficulty. Right now I'm on the blizzard route and there is just so many annoyances. Constant hail, low visibility, slow movement speed (due to snow banks), and most of the trainers are Ace Trainers meaning well-balanced type diverse teams. Plus this comes after the equally frustrating Mt. Coronet (part 3 of 5) and it's so many HM puzzles. I'm running a 3-mon party, because that's all I can afford to do, because the last three are all HM slaves!

While I do like a fair difficulty and feel that Nintendo overcorrected this in Gen 5 and 6, this isn't so much difficult as it is slow. So... very... slow. Kinda don't get why the Hoenn Gen3 water routes got the evil eye when this is ten times worse.

I have always said it Sinnoh is the roadblock region. Someone was too fond of himself and his level design he decided to make you stay there till you appreciated it and even do an affectionate parody of the speedrunners with the rival.

Also put swagger on everything to pretend it is difficult.

I have always said it Sinnoh is the roadblock region. Someone was too fond of himself and his level design he decided to make you stay there till you appreciated it and even do an affectionate parody of the speedrunners with the rival.

Also put swagger on everything to pretend it is difficult.
They put in so many HM roadblocks and yet still they needed to throw a Psyduck line at a chokepoint. Sure B2W2 had the dancing men for no reason, but at least they were tongue and cheek about it. And the BW map route was (mostly) linear with no backtracking instead of back and forth and around and up Mt. Coronet again and again and again and again.

In FR/LG,the key items like Exp. Share,HMs,etc. can be obtained only after you catch a specific no. of pokemons which is bad as there are a very few good pokemons in Kanto region in the beginning as compared to the relatively good ones in R/S/E.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Relatively good ones in RSE? In my opinion, RSE struggles the hardest with terrible Pokémon available in the first half of the game. Sure, Taillow can be a reliable partner, and Shroomish will eventually become the powerful Breloom, but otherwise the early-game selection of Pokémon in RSE (or at least RS, I seem to recall that Emerald fixed a fair few things) was a real suckfest in my opinion.

Of course, in Gen. III movepools weren't exactly as refined as they are today, so many 'mons that are decent or even good nowadays were kind of underwhelming back in FR/LG too. Come to think of it, the real powerhouses of Kanto were few and far between, so you might actually be right.

You get pokemons like Ralts,Voltorb,Oddish,Numel,Trapinch and Swablu in earlier and mid stages of R/S/E,while in FR/LG,you get spearow,rattata,weepinbell,etc.Even if Hoenn region lacks good grass types(except Roselia),i prefer first set to the second one.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Ralts isn't much to cheer for either, considering it won't pull much of its weight until it is a Gardevoir. Ralts needs babying, Kirlia is still weak (albeit learning Psychic early helps), and Gardevoir arrives late. Amazing when you get it, but not that good before then. Also, it's such a rare encounter that inexperienced players are likely to miss it entirely.

To be honest, even in OR/AS there isn't a lot of exciting Pokemon around until after Slateport. I mean that's true with most generations (minus Gen 5 which had a variety of different Pokemon available and XY), but Gen III just wasn't that exciting.

Speaking of variety, Gen 2 didn't have much, either. The pokémon you'd consider catching were usually the pokémon that appeared in previous games, still struggled with the number of Flying types and you actually had to use HM moves so your pokémon would have a reliable move.

While I'd argue adding Abra, Makuhita, Lotad, and Marill (and perhaps Whismur) to the decent early game pokemon, I can agree with Gen 3 being a reverse Gen 5 where the starter pokemon were amazing enough to handle almost the entire game themselves while the regional pokemon take awhile to catch up.

Well, Torchic and Mudkip at least. Treecko isn't bad, but it doesn't become amazing until last quarter (and elite four in Emerald).

It wasn't as bad in past gens, since while you were stuck with Weedle so was everybody else. But in the center of this game if you didn't have a way to deal with Magnemite you were screwed.

And you don't get one until post 5th gym badge. :(

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily add Abra to that list, because you better hope that first Poke Ball works. Abra used Teleport!

Nincada is actually a decent early game pick, because while it needs a bit of babying, it evolves into not one but two decent party members, Ninjask being gottagofast and Shedinja messing with the AI's mind.

I wouldn't necessarily add Abra to that list, because you better hope that first Poke Ball works. Abra used Teleport!

Nincada is actually a decent early game pick, because while it needs a bit of babying, it evolves into not one but two decent party members, Ninjask being gottagofast and Shedinja messing with the AI's mind.
I actually used Shedinja in a gen3 run. I learnt just how many things get Astonish/Feint Attack. Almost every gen 3 poke has one of those.

In fact, the only situation where Sheddy was useful was against a Kingdra in the late game.

Well hey, if we're talking early to mid-game shit in kanto...
Spearow, Geodude, Clefairy, Nidos, Abra, Oddish/Bellsprout, Diglett... you're not exactly strapped for options. I mean, the one big glaringly awful thing is that if you chose Charmander you had to use Mankey, who in my experience honestly sucks beyond Brock.

Well hey, if we're talking early to mid-game shit in kanto...
Spearow, Geodude, Clefairy, Nidos, Abra, Oddish/Bellsprout, Diglett... you're not exactly strapped for options. I mean, the one big glaringly awful thing is that if you chose Charmander you had to use Mankey, who in my experience honestly sucks beyond Brock.
It's even worse when Mankey wasn't even available until after Mount Moon in RB so you are kinda stuck spamming Ember on Brock's Pokemon. Hope you get lucky with Burns (even if you don't, their piss poor Special means they die in a few hits anyway)

EDIT: Even if you get Mankey, it doesn't even has access to STAB Fighting moves by level-up until Yellow. It's really facepalm-worthy that "Karate Chop" is classified as a Normal-type move instead of a Fighting-type move.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
It's even worse when Mankey wasn't even available until after Mount Moon in RB so you are kinda stuck spamming Ember on Brock's Pokemon. Hope you get lucky with Burns (even if you don't, their piss poor Special means they die in a few hits anyway)

EDIT: Even if you get Mankey, it doesn't even has access to STAB Fighting moves by level-up until Yellow. It's really facepalm-worthy that "Karate Chop" is classified as a Normal-type move instead of a Fighting-type move.
I thought you could use Butterfree because it has special attacks, and Brock's Pokemon are weak specially.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)