Unpopular opinions

... plus if anything should be removed its those three fucking unova monkeys
I absolutely love those monkeys. Every time I can get one early, I use one. I've used it for every playthrough of Black and White and I even used a Simisage in Y. Each time, they served me very well.

Anyway, I'm going to end this conversation since this is going nowhere fast.

I think Exploud is a very cool, underrated Pokémon. I like the design, which actually looks better in its Generation VI model than any sprites as you can see it with its mouth shut. And Scrappy Boomburst is a hell of a lot of fun to use. I remember it once caught me off guard and knocked out my Gengar in the early days of the gen. I even use an Assault Vest version and she does a very good job as a Special tank, even in the higher tiers.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Just saying... the Jynx Club on deviantArt has more than 100 members.... so maybe finding fans for Watchog isn't as difficult as you imagine.
Dunsparce has a rather big fan-listing site too.
Just saying, Dunsparce is among one of my favorite Pokemon. I like its concept & design, and it has a pretty sweet movepool too. I used one in my last HG playthrough all the way up to Red, and he was actually pretty decent; any Pokemon that gives Whitney's Miltank the big middle finger is a cool Pokemon in my book. Shame his stats are so bad though.

But yeah, every Pokemon has at least a few fans, so removing Pokemon is out of the question unless Game Freak does a complete reboot, which isn't happening anytime soon.

Trust me, if we could get rid of baby Pokémon I would rejoice hard, breeding a 4iv hp ice, HA, Naive volt tackle Pikachu took me almost a month.

Raichu is a decent Pokémon to be honest, and as much as I genuinely like Pikachu and was traumatized into disliked Pichu after breeding I just simply love Raichu design, the tail the hind legs, it's a big rat with trex hands dude it's freaking cute to be honest.
Baby Pokemon are very hit or miss to me. I can understand why some of them like Elekid and Budew exist (to make a good Pokemon not so broken at the beginning of the game), but the likes of Pichu and Igglybuff and friends have no real reason to exist since their first evolutions aren't all that strong to begin with, and they generally have nothing to offer in the movepool department (except Volt Tackle, but that point is sorta moot since that wasn't introduced until Gen III). Friendship evolutions are also extremely annoying to have on Pokemon that struggle to beat freaking Caterpies on their own.

New opinion: we really don't want any more regular evolutions to old pokemon.

Eevee aside, GF has only done this twice, and while Gen 2 was fine (and even necessary for some pokemon) Gen 4 was... mixed.

I mean sure we got good ones like Roserade, Magnazone, Dusknoir, Mamoswine, Gallade, Mismagius, Weavile, Froslass, Togekiss, Honchkrow, and Electivire,

But we also got Probopass, Rhypherior, Magmortar, and Electivire.

Gliscor lies in limbo between the two.

...okay so maybe I'm just really hard on Gen 4 but Rhypherior annoys me! How could they take a classic like this:

Free hugs for everybody!

And turn it into this:

Don't worry, the Doctor says it's not contagious.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
I mean sure we got good ones like Roserade, Magnazone, Dusknoir, Mamoswine, Gallade, Mismagius, Weavile, Froslass, Togekiss, and Electivire,

But we also got Probopass, Rhypherior, Magmortar, and Electivire.

Gliscor lies in limbo between the two.
No, Gliscor is cool and is also an amazing Pokémon (it has been consistently on my team since I trained my first on in Gen V. Poison Heal for life).
Also, you put Electivire in both good and bad.

No, Gliscor is cool and is also an amazing Pokémon (it has been consistently on my team since I trained my first on in Gen V. Poison Heal for life).
Also, you put Electivire in both good and bad.
Yes, that's the joke. :P

I've come to like Gliscor, but his design is a bit hectic and I find the fact that most of the time his arms aren't connected to this wings bizarre. I guess it's supposed to be like a kite? It didn't help that his introduction sprite was this:
Oh jeebus that face. Platinum and everything after gave him much more flattering poses/sprites.

I personally think Raichu is cuter than Pikachu, on top of just being more useful and having a better design. I hate that Pikachu specifically is the mascot, rather than the line or even just each region's Pika-clone taking over. I partially blame that on the anime refusing to let go of Ash, since a big part of his Pikachu's character is refusing to evolve. If I had a say, Johto would've starred a Gold expy, starting with a Pichu (or hatching a Pichu egg to show off the mechanic) that eventually evolves to a Raichu, since the big deal about baby Pokemon is supposed to be bonding and such to help them reach their full potential, i.e. their final stage. I also blame the anime for the fact that we'll probably never see a Mega Raichu since Ash obviously couldn't use it despite it being part of his signature mon's line.

I also wish Gamefreak would understand what's wrong with their marketing focus. Gen 4, Lucario got popular and so they pushed him a bit more during the time. Then Gen 5 came out and they kind of tried to recreate that popularity with Zoroark, which fell by the wayside when people gravitated to other mons like Zekrom. Now Gen 6, not only is Lucario still everywhere, but they're putting Greninja everywhere too (look at the anime Form). It's basically the problem I have with Pikachu in miniature: they over-marketed something that got natural popularity, tried to make lightning strike twice, and then retreated into over-marketing previous stuff, thinking it was Zoroark itself rather than trying to force popularity through marketing that left a sour taste. And one reason I personally liked Lucario at the time was because his debut movie not only made him a full character, but properly gave the spotlight to him rather than Ash, a problem I again attribute to Pikachu.

In most movies, Ash and co. tend to have most of the spotlight, always focusing on how they can somehow fix what is literally a legendary problem while focusing on saving it through power of friendship and reassuring each other. In so many movies a bunch of scenes usually end up being Ash, Pikachu, and one of the featured Pokemon, even when they get the focus right like Keldeo. Lucario's movie took Pikachu out of the picture for most of the plot, so they actually had to focus on something different in the form of Lucario's distrust in his past and in Ash rather than "Pikachu and I can accomplish anything if we work hard and work together" being Ash's solution to so many things in the films.

At the end of that rant, I guess I should clarify that I don't hate Pikachu itself so much as the fact that it embodies so many blemishes or shackles on the Pokemon IP both for my personal tastes and in legitimate design/marketing manners.

Other unrelated opinion: I think despite having one of the better designed regions, Johto has the weakest set of original Pokemon. Sure, there are some really good and stand out Pokemon designs, but as a whole the 100 mons Johto introduced weren't that interesting to me, whether their design was too simple or derivative of something else (Slowking, Espeon/Umbreon). Some people complain about Gen 4 adding evolutions to so many old mons instead of wholly original ones, but I at least give those credit for adding something interesting to really forgettable Gen 2 mons (Gliscor, Weavile, and Honchkrow to name my stand out cases).

Jotho and better designed are not stuff I would put on the same sentence without some form of a negative part or a part praising another region over jotho.

I mean I can appreciate the aesthetic, but level and gameplay experience wise Jotho is really bland.

And yes jotho is kind of the add on for stuff that somehow didn't fit in RBY, as much as I love stuff like steelix, skarmory, Donphan and Raikou derpy face in GS a bit portion of its dex feels like it depends too much on the previous region to work.

I don't want to be an edgelord but umbreon simple jet black fur with golden rings as patches appeals more to me XD

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Jotho and better designed are not stuff I would put on the same sentence without some form of a negative part or a part praising another region over jotho.

I mean I can appreciate the aesthetic, but level and gameplay experience wise Jotho is really bland.

And yes jotho is kind of the add on for stuff that somehow didn't fit in RBY, as much as I love stuff like steelix, skarmory, Donphan and Raikou derpy face in GS a bit portion of its dex feels like it depends too much on the previous region to work.
I agree.
I think i've forgotten most of the Johto Pokemon by now. Not many were remarkable unless you are talking about the really gimmicky ones like Unown, Delibird.

Other unrelated opinion: I think despite having one of the better designed regions, Johto has the weakest set of original Pokemon. Sure, there are some really good and stand out Pokemon designs, but as a whole the 100 mons Johto introduced weren't that interesting to me, whether their design was too simple or derivative of something else (Slowking, Espeon/Umbreon). Some people complain about Gen 4 adding evolutions to so many old mons instead of wholly original ones, but I at least give those credit for adding something interesting to really forgettable Gen 2 mons (Gliscor, Weavile, and Honchkrow to name my stand out cases).
A lot of things that make Johto great (as well as poor) stem from it being a sequel to Gen 1 that was supposed to be the last games.

Well, since this has descended into a roll call of eeveelutions, Vaporeon is best pony Eevee.

(Although personally they are all good, with Flareon being cutest but Vaporeon has always been the most useful to me until Sylveon showed up).

For an actual opinion, I like Johto a lot (HG/SS is my favorite game of the main series) but it had a different design goal then any other game after, save maybe B2W2. Instead of "whole new region" it felt very much like a sequel, having one shoe in the previous games and one shoe in actual new stuff. It felt more like a polished expansion pack to R/B/Y, a feeling I don't get from Hoenn, Shinoh, Unova, or Kalos. So the pokemon added were more to supplement the original 151, and as such don't stand out on their own as much.

Not necessarily a bad thing, more an opinion or taste.

Last edited:
Speaking of Johto, here's my ultimate unpopular opinion: I didn't really like HGSS at all

I actually fell in love with GSC, even though Gold was like my third or fourth game (first was FR). Excellent soundtrack, every tune is basic (with 4 or 5 instruments at most) but solid (you can almost listen to each instrument on its own). I didn't like the battle music that much, but the routes and cities were just incredible to hang around in. And yes, to echo stage7_4 it felt like a sequel, which I personally quite enjoyed.

But ooh, HGSS. Somehow the GF folks saw the need to turn every piece orchestral with a dragged out beginning - New Bark Town, Route 29, Route 30, etc etc - and subsequently a lot of the tracks lose that very spontaneous feeling of adventure (looking at you, Route 29). Not to mention the whole array of instruments stuffed into each track - worst offender to me is that xylophone thingy - the whole complexity really detracted from the listening experience for me. I'd point to ORAS as a much better example of how to pull off remake remixes - roughly the same instruments, same pacing, but with a lot more oomph.

Props to HGSS though for making most of the battle music much more kickass. The electric guitar really brings out the intensity of the Rival, Team Rocket, Gym Leader and Champion battle themes.

And a related but (probably) equally unpopular opinion: I thought Voltorb Flip was a great idea. Clever design, made you feel like a genius every time you cleared a level.

Last edited:
But ooh, HGSS. Somehow the GF folks saw the need to turn every piece orchestral with a dragged out beginning - New Bark Town, Route 29, Route 30, etc etc - and subsequently a lot of the tracks lose that very spontaneous feeling of adventure (looking at you, Route 29). Not to mention the whole array of instruments stuffed into each track - worst offender to me is that xylophone thingy - the whole complexity really detracted from the listening experience for me. I'd point to ORAS as a much better example of how to pull of remake remixes - roughly the same instruments, same pacing, but with a lot more oomph.
I totally disagree here. Personally, I love what they did with the HGSS music because of the changes it brought to the soundtrack. I felt like it revitalized Johto and helped it feel fresh, even though I had played through it in GSC before. Some of the remixes they made even helped set a new mood to an area. For example, the 2nd-gen version of Goldenrod City's music sounds like a chiptune lullaby; decent song but I'm not sure how well it fits for the biggest modern city in the region. The poppiness of HGSS's version suits it much better, giving a better sense of a lively, energetic city. Other touches to the game's soundtrack also work well, such as how Ecruteak and Cianwood took different spins on what was once the same song (Ecruteak now possessing a greater emphasis on its cultural influence, while Cianwood being much more quiet and out-of-the-way).

Meanwhile, I found ORAS's soundtrack - or at least most of the remixed songs - dull. I was looking forward to what they would do with the music in ORAS, and in many cases, I don't feel like it changed much besides what instruments were used, which somehow REDUCED their vitality. Reinstrumenting the same songs became especially disappointing when I reached Mauville City, which featured the same exact song used in Rustboro and Mossdeep (just like in the 3rd-gen games) despite how drastically they redesigned this central city. Personally, I hate the overall design of "Mallville", but you'd think they would do something to set apart the music of the central city of the region / a city whose redesign was supposedly inspired by Lumiose City in Kalos. Or at the very least, I was hoping they wouldn't play the same elevator music used in Mallville in Rustboro (though I guess it could make sense in Hoenn's industrial hub) and Mossdeep (no excuse here).

I will point out exceptions, though: not all of the remixes are lame. I like the bit of piano at the start of the rival theme, and the Maxie / Archie battle theme seems slightly slower, which adds some intensity. The Spanish guitar (or whatever it was) on the outside of Mt. Pyre was pretty neat, too, and it's hard to bring down the Team Magma / Aqua theme. I wish they did something to help differentiate the Trainer Battle and Gym Leader themes more. Good songs, but in RSE, I always felt they could be interchangeable without people who haven't played the games much noticing, which doesn't happen in any other region (afaik).

I will agree with you on Voltorb Flip, though; I wish Pokemon would add more mini-games like that. I feel like people mainly rag on it because they couldn't just buy Coins in HGSS.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
We should've been allowed to buy coins in HGSS, but Voltorb Flip was fun. It's also easier to get coins from it over the slots without destroying your vision trying to keep track of the reels.

Also, I like the Johto mons. The fact that they're basically an extension to RBY is a bit of a strike against them, but the standalone Pokemon and the evolutions are mostly cool. I still hate Unown with a passion though.

Pokemon that are popular (at least among my friends) that I don't really like.

Pikachu: Okay, I'm sure a lot of people can back me up when I say I don't like pikachu. Still, there are a lot of people that love pikachu and I am determined to stomp out their hopes and dreams (okay, that's a bit much, but I really hate pikachu) I mean, I just thought that some of my best bros would be with me on this one, but they all love pikachu. Oh, well. This probably stems from my hatred of the Pokemon anime.

Lucario: Like pikachu, this one has a root in my friends. When I was a kid, they were talking about how strong Lucario was all the time and how it was a legendary. Now, I was stupid kid back then, but I wasn't that stupid. I kept trying to tell them that Lucario wasn't a legendary, but they wouldn't listen. So yeah. I hate Lucario.

Luxray: This one is mostly due to the fact that I had to let my friend down to reveal the truth about this Pokemon. When he got into competitive play, I had to sit him down (figuratively, we were talking via Skype) and tell him that Luxray was absolute ass in competitive play. He was pretty disappointed. I essentially don't like it how people like Pokemon before even looking at how they perform in battle and just expect them to be good be used they have a BA design.

Outta time, gotta go.

Reactions: JES
Seeing as how I don't do competitive except rarely doing random battles, I have to say I usually go design-wise when thinking about a team to use for a new game. Don't care about IVs, EVs, Nature, or Ability. As long as it looks good and has few decent moves, I'm all set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)