Unreleased OU

Never forget the mighty Bubble Beam Clefable. Think your Heatran, Gliscor or Talonflame can tank the Moonblast? Eat this super-effective Water move.
I have always wondered about Volcanion and Floette-E.

Steam Eruption is basically Sacred Fire and Hydro Pump rolled into one and switching in is difficult (harder than Scald). Even Grass-types need to worry about the Fire STAB Volcanion carries. I guess only Specially-based Dragons can come in but those are basically Ttar bait.

As for Flo, I think a Specs set might be viable. Given its barren movepool, just run Specs with LoR, Moonblast, HP Fire and filler. The threat of LoR is big that you can actually play more conservatively with Moonblast. Using LO is suicide since LoR forces you to take recoil already.

Never forget the mighty Bubble Beam Clefable. Think your Heatran, Gliscor or Talonflame can tank the Moonblast? Eat this super-effective Water move.
I have always wondered about Volcanion and Floette-E.

Steam Eruption is basically Sacred Fire and Hydro Pump rolled into one and switching in is difficult (harder than Scald). Even Grass-types need to worry about the Fire STAB Volcanion carries. I guess only Specially-based Dragons can come in but those are basically Ttar bait.

As for Flo, I think a Specs set might be viable. Given its barren movepool, just run Specs with LoR, Moonblast, HP Fire and filler. The threat of LoR is big that you can actually play more conservatively with Moonblast. Using LO is suicide since LoR forces you to take recoil already.
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Brine vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 148-177 (41.2 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Brine vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 151-179 (42.8 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Brine vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 120-143 (31.1 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Clefable Brine vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 82-98 (22.8 - 27.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Clefable Brine vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 66-78 (17.1 - 20.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

Seems like a pretty subpar option to me. Plus Clef already had Water Pulse before, which is only 5 BP weaker.

Specs Flo-E seems pretty decent from my short time with it. Life Orb and Specs are probably going to be its defining OU sets. The Calm Mind set posted earlier with Synthesis over Wish and Leftovers as an option over Life Orb also shows promise.

Edit: Flo-E Synthesis isn't legal on the teambuilder right now, but it is legal on the ladder and it gets it via move tutor http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/670.shtml#

Last edited:
Uh oh, seems that I underestimated how low Clefable's stats were and how low Bubble Beam's base power is.
Would like to see Raikou (now it deters Thunder Wave and Elec spam even more!) and Suicune (can switch into Scald now although it hates losing PP stall wars)

I hate to be that guy, but I do believe Insomnia Gourigeist is already released, but only on the average and XL formes.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Then that means we get on its L and S formes too, making it still valid.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey does this allow unreleased combinations like Lightningrod/Fake Out+ESpeed Raichu/Pikachu, Chlorophyll+Weather Ball Venusaur, Unaware+Softboiled Clefable etc.? Cause that'd actually be pretty cool if it did.

No, I'm pretty sure it's just mons/moves/items that are confirmed but not released. The combination of those moves + abilities (at least for Clefable) is not confirmed, so it won't be legal.

Awesome!

Volcanion offers great role compression for a whole bunch of teams, checking or countering threats like M-Gardevoir, Azumarill, Manaphy, Keldeo, Ferrothorn, the newly buffed Suicune and Entei, and so on. It also looks to have a major niche on stall, being almost a perfect partner to M-Sableye, absorbing Scald, appreciating Wish support, and just in general opening up a number of viable build structures.

Volt Absorb is obviously massive on a dedicated Electric counter, blocking Volt Switch and making the currently anachronistic AV set more viable. Is walled almost completely by other Raikou though so perhaps options like Toxic (plus Air Balloon perhaps) will see increased use as a result.

Is Water Absorb an upgrade? To me it looks like it makes Suicune better overall, but brings it into direct competition with the likes of CM Manaphy and even Vaporeon (which is really underutilised in OU), whereas Pressure at least has a niche in wearing down unprepared stalls. Regardless, with both Volcanion and other Suicune in the tier, I think Suicune's paltry movepool is going to be horribly exposed. Maybe an offensive CM set could work a la DPP, or Life Orb + Tailwind, but I don't see any of its sets receiving sustained usage.

Flash Fire Entei is a very significant buff. Entei vs Entei mindgames could easily predominate in the tier, leading to options like Air Balloon seeing use. Suicune walls it with a RestTalk set but as mentioned, I don't see that having the kind of usage which could trouble Entei.

Always wanted to use Flame Body Heatran to troll M-Sableye. Regice would be reasonable if defensive Hail wasn't god awful. It'd probably be better off running Hail itself than relying on Abomasnow, but even specially defensive Kyu-B (which is actually semi-legit in OU) is probably better. 'Lucha gets a buff of course.

Looking at all this together, I definitely see sand offense maintaining high usage. Offense is always the best way at dealing with an unstable meta, and sand takes advantage of the Ground weakness of many of the new toys while faring well defensively against Entei and Raikou. I think Air Balloon on both Entei and Raikou is likely to be a popular choice. The whole meta looks extremely interesting anyway, it'll be great to play around with it when I've got some free time.

Approved by Subject 18

UNRELEASED OU

Unreleased OU is essentially OU but with:

- Unreleased Pokemon: Floette-Eternal, Volcanion

- Unreleased Abilities: Volt Absorb Raikou, Flash Fire Entei, Water Absorb Suicune, Sturdy Regirock, Ice Body Regice, Light Metal Registeel, Flame Body Heatran, Insomnia Gourgeist

- Unreleased Items: Gems, Mail

- RBY moves

Standard OU clauses and bans apply. Check out the OU Viability Ranking.

Unreleased OU is available on Pokemon Showdown for the month of March!
What do you mean by RBY moves? Are they even useful? Thanks!

What do you mean by RBY moves? Are they even useful? Thanks!
Moves that are only available in RBY. List below:
Actually, somebody has posted a full list in the RBY thread. Here it is:

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur get Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, and Bide.

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard get Leer, Rage, Take Down, Submission, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Submission, Rage, Reflect, and Bide. Blastoise (but not Squirtle/Wartortle) also gets Fissure.

Caterpie/Metapod don't get anything, but Butterfree alone gets Razor Wind, Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, and Psywave.

Weedle/Kakuna don't get anything, but Beedrill alone gets Take Down, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot get Razor Wind, Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Rattata/Raticate get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Spearow/Fearow get Take Down, Rage, and Bide.

Ekans/Arbok get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Pikachu/Raichu get Take Down, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Reflect, and Skull Bash.

Sandshrew/Sandslash get Take Down, Submission, Rage, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Nidoran-F/Nidorina/Nidoqueen get Tackle, Rage, Reflect, and Bide. Nidorina/Nidoqueen (but not Nidoran-F) also get Horn Drill, Bubble Beam, and Water Gun. Nidoqueen alone also gets Pay Day, Submission, and Fissure.

Nidoran-M/Nidorino/Nidoking get Tackle, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Nidorino/Nidoking (but not Nidoran-M) also get Bubble Beam and Water Gun. Nidoking alone also gets Pay Day, Submission, and Fissure.

Clefairy/Clefable get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Vulpix/Ninetales get Take Down, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Zubat/Golbat get Razor Wind, Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, and Bide.

Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume get Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Paras/Parasect get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Venonat/Venomoth get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Psywave. Venomoth (but not Venonat) also gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, and Teleport.

Diglett/Dugtrio get Take Down, Rage, and Bide.

Meowth/Persian get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Psyduck/Golduck get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Mankey/Primeape get Take Down, Pay Day, Submission, Bide, and Skull Bash. Mankey also gets Rage (Primeape already got it).

Growlithe/Arcanine get Rage, Dragon Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Arcanine (but not Growlithe) also gets Teleport.

Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath get Take Down, Rage, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave. Poliwhirl/Poliwrath (but not Poliwag) also get Fissure. Poliwhirl also gets Submission (Poliwrath already got it). And Poliwag/Poliwhirl also get Amnesia (Poliwrath can't learn it in RBY).

Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam get Take Down, Submission, Rage, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack. Kadabra/Alakazam (but not Abra) also get Dig.

Machop/Machoke/Machamp get Take Down, Rage, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, and Bide.

Tentacool/Tentacruel get Water Gun, Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Geodude/Graveler/Golem get Harden, Take Down, Submission, Rage, Fissure, and Bide.

Ponyta/Rapidash get Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Slowpoke/Slowbro get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Pay Day, Rage, Fissure, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack. Slowbro (but not Slowpoke) also gets Submission.

Magnemite/Magneton get Take Down, Rage, Teleport, and Bide.

Farfetch'd gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Rage, and Skull Bash.

Doduo/Dodrio get Whirlwind, Take Down, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Doduo also gets Tri Attack (Dodrio already got it).

Seel/Dewgong get Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Rage, Bide, Skull Bash, and Strength.

Grimer/Muk get Rage, Mega Drain, and Bide.

Shellder/Cloyster get Water Gun, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, and Tri Attack.

Gastly/Haunter/Gengar get Rage, Mega Drain, Bide, and Skull Bash. Gastly/Haunter also get Thunder (Gengar already got it). Gengar (but not Gastly/Haunter) also gets Take Down and Submission.

Onix gets Take Down, Fissure, Teleport, and Bide.

Drowzee/Hypno get Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Krabby/Kingler get Take Down, Water Gun, Rage, and Skull Bash.

Voltorb/Electrode get Take Down, Teleport, Reflect, and Bide.

Exeggcute/Exeggutor get Take Down, Rage, Teleport, Bide, and Psywave. Exeggutor (but not Exeggcute) also gets Mega Drain. Exeggcute also gets Egg Bomb (Exeggutor already got it).

Cubone/Marowak get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Fissure, and Bide.

Hitmonlee gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Hitmonchan gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Lickitung gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Koffing/Weezing get Rage and Bide.

Rhyhorn/Rhydon get Leer, Rage, Fissure, Teleport, and Bide. Rhydon (but not Rhyhorn) also gets Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, and Submission.

Chansey gets Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Tangela gets Take Down, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Kangaskhan gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Horsea/Seadra get Horn Drill, Take Down, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Goldeen/Seaking get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, and Bide.

Staryu/Starmie get Take Down, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, and Tri Attack.

Mr. Mime gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Scyther gets Take Down, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Jynx gets Thrash, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Electabuzz gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Metronome, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Magmar gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Metronome, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Pinsir gets Slash, Take Down, Rage, and Bide.

Tauros gets Stomp, Leer, Horn Drill, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Magikarp doesn't get anything, but Gyarados alone gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Lapras gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Rage, Solar Beam, Dragon Rage, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Ditto doesn't get anything.

Eevee/Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon get Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Eevee also gets Focus Energy (but only an unevolved Eevee, none of its evolutions learn it in RBY). Vaporeon alone also gets Mist and Bubble Beam. Flareon alone also gets Leer.

Porygon gets Take Down, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Omanyte/Omastar get Horn Attack, Horn Drill, Take Down, Submission, Rage, Reflect, and Skull Bash. Omanyte also gets Spike Cannon (Omastar already got it).

Kabuto/Kabutops get Hydro Pump, Razor Wind, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Kabuto also gets Slash (Kabutops already got it).

Aerodactyl gets Razor Wind, Rage, Dragon Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Snorlax gets Harden, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Articuno gets Peck, Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, and Bide.

Zapdos gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Moltres gets Peck, Leer, Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite get Horn Drill, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Dragonite (but not Dratini/Dragonair) also gets Razor Wind.

Mewtwo gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Mew gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Horn Drill, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Mega Drain, Dragon Rage, Fissure, Teleport, Bide, Egg Bomb, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Just going to point out that the list of gen 1 only moves is off. Charizard is able to get Fissure in Gen 1 by TM. I noticed this was off and remembered that I had one with it as a kid, went and checked Serebii and it was missing there. I checked my VC copy of read and it claimed that Charizard could learn Fissure as well as Bulbapedia confirming this as well. Doesn't really matter because of Oko Clause but it does bring the list into question.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Just going to point out that the list of gen 1 only moves is off. Charizard is able to get Fissure in Gen 1 by TM. I noticed this was off and remembered that I had one with it as a kid, went and checked Serebii and it was missing their. I checked my VC copy of read and it claimed that Charizard could learn Fissure as well as Bulbapedia confirming this as well. Doesn't really matter because of Oko Clause but it does bring the list into question.
It's possible that some confusion happened because RB and Y have slightly different TM learnsets. For example, Charizard can't learn Fly in RB but it can in Y.

My dream was always to use mail.
Mail might actually be kinda niche and useful because iirc it can't be tricked away, obviously gothitelle isn't around anymore but it might be useful i guess? Correct me if i'm wrong about this (i'm also not sure if mail can't get knocked off, which could also be useful if you need a dedicated knock sponge?). Overall not very good but a funky niche set might be able to use it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
For all we know Waves and Arrows could be tied to specific Formes, similar to how Kyurem gets Fusion Bolt + Freeze Shock or Fusion Flare + Freeze Burn based on it being Black or White.

Last edited:
This meta drew me back onto showdown for a bit and I had some fun. Some thoughts:

Volcanion pretty much defines this meta. The amount of stuff it blanket checks and the amount of role compression it provides both offensively and defensively make it pretty much seen on every team although that isn't surprising. I am seeing people run scarfed Volcanion on the ladder and I really think it is subpar compared to other Volcanion sets. Between the legendary dogs all being common now and having immunities + volcanion on every team being locked into a single move really sucks most of the time. I really like Shuca Volcanion though. Shuca Volc with earth power makes a pretty good Volcanion lure and it eases switchins. Most mons that stay in to EQ or Bulldoze die to Steam Eruption or HP Ice so it deals with many defensive threats better like Landorus+Garchomp.

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

RBY moves, Gourgeist, Regis don't affect the tier to any noticeable degree. Volt Absorb Raikou is bae. Gems are amazing, seriously gems alone make me like this meta. Definitely an increase in Unburden+Gem and Talonflame on the ladder but gems are so useful and versatile that more diverse and honestly better sets I imagine will be developed. Definitely some experimenting in the teambuilder to be done.

Steels took a hit with Volc on almost every team with its quad steel resistance. Mons that benefit from the decrease in bulky steels such as Weavile are really powerful right now. Pretty much every Lati twin is running EQ in lieu if HP fire. Also seeing less water types in general not named Volc because people don't want double up on water types or a run an offensive waters when water absorb is everywhere. Hoopa is also pretty good especially with gems. I ended up making a team with the legendary trio Diancie+Hoopa+Volcanion and surprisingly they are all pretty potent together. Hoopa enjoys the now available gems and destroys stall; Diancie fulfills the mega slot, deters rocks for Volc and shreds enemy volcanions with Diamond Storm while dealing with many common mons; Volc blanket checks everything including other Volc, spreads status with Steam Eruption, and provides a water immunity for the trio.
Also never saw Shiny Volcanion before until now and it is definitely not pretty

View attachment 57944
The misery train never ends for poor dogsnakeGundam

I know that they're not technically in Zygarde's learnset but is there any chance we can bend the rules a little in this instance?
Nope. It's purely speculation. We don't know even know if it learns it, let alone how or if it will be released. If there was some evidence, like a movie trailer or in-game text, then I would.

This meta sure looks interesting, I oughta try it sometime.

Oh yeah, you can remove the Regis from the list.

From Serebii:

It has been confirmed that, from Friday until October 31st, Regirock, Regice and Registeel will be available to all players who use Pokémon Bank. These Pokémon are special in that they come with their Hidden Abilities of Sturdy, Ice Body and Light Metal respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)