XY LC Untitled 501

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hello, everybody. I'm mostly a LC player, and figured I would post a team of my own; it's a stall team I've been working on recently that has been a lot of fun to play with.

Teambuilding

I like Foongus

Staryu found itself mostly shafted aside during the Misdreavus era because as a Rapid Spinner, it found it quite difficult to break through the premier Spinblocker, Misdreavus. I decided to see how it would fare in the current metagame, where it can Rapid Spin much more reliably.

This left me quite vulnerable to Fletchling and Magnemite, so I decided to include Chinchou to combat them both. However, such a team layout lost badly to opposing Foongus, and was unable to take thorough advantage of the switches it forced, so I added Ferroseed as well.

Ferroseed's biggest issue on a defensive team such as this one is that it often has trouble lasting very long. As such, I added Spritzee to provide Wish support while having excellent type synergy with Ferroseed to pass Wishes more easily.

I realized that at this point, I really needed a check to Pawniard, so I picked Mienfoo for its resilience, being able to bounce back from most attacks thanks to Regenerator.

My main concern with Mienfoo was that it had trouble against Swords Dance Pawniard, as well as leaving me somewhat vulnerable to Croagunk and Fletchling, so I replaced it with Ponyta, who is able to threaten to burn all of Pawniard, Croagunk, and Fletchling.

Team

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

It is of my opinion that Foongus is a phenomenal Pokemon, through and through, and one of the most effective Pokemon in the current metagame. Although its stats are quite unimpressive at first glance, a combination of its typing and incredible defensive ability allows it to singlehandedly put specific Pokemon out of commission by rendering them nearly entirely useless; because Foongus never has to waste turns healing, it can switch into key threats like Chinchou and Timburr over and over without having to worry about being worn down. Foongus additionally checks Fighting-types, which is useful because it is usually far less worried about losing its Eviolite than Spritzee. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are my mandatory STAB moves, the former providing a bit of healing to render Foongus even more difficult to break through, and the latter also carrying a small but useful poison chance; although they aren't very powerful against anything that carries an Eviolite and isn't weak to it, they will usually suffice. Spore has very limited distribution, possibly because of how good of a move it is, being the most powerful status option with 100% accuracy, and Foongus is one of the few Pokemon with access to it. Hidden Power Fighting is what is usually seen in the last slot to beat Pawniard, but I run Hidden Power Fire because Ferroseed is a fairly problematic switch-in otherwise.

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Every defensive team needs a method to get rid of hazards because of how much switching is involved. It is usually ideal for these Pokemon to carry reliable recovery so they do not simply get outlasted by the opposing hazard setters. The biggest advantage Rapid Spin has over Defog is that you don't have to spend turns re-applying hazards, and Staryu happens to be the only Rapid Spinner in LC with reliable recovery. As for the other two moves, Scald is useful as a STAB move that carries a handy burn chance, while Thunderbolt hits Omanyte and Staryu in particular hard. Thunderbolt also OHKOs Fletchling after Stealth Rock, which is important because otherwise my team would have a great deal of trouble with the Fletchling + Diglett combination. The reason I choose Thunderbolt over Ice Beam is because although Ice Beam hits Grass-types, the most common of these switch-ins to Staryu are Ferroseed and Foongus; Ferroseed takes neutral damage from Ice Beam, meaning it would probably be better to fish for the Scald burn, while Foongus can avoid the 2HKO and heal off the damage with Regenerator because I don't have Knock Off support on my team. On the other hand, Thunderbolt usually OHKOs -1 Omanyte after two rounds of Stealth Rock, and because Ferroseed gets worn down quickly, Staryu is usually my initial switch-in of choice. The EVs in this case are quite specific; they allow Staryu to usually avoid the 2HKO from Drilbur's Earthquake, allowing it to serve as a solid check, and the OHKO from +2 Fletchling's Acrobatics, allowing Staryu to KO with Thunderbolt.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Chinchou is often listed among the very best Pokemon in LC, and for good reason. Its well-rounded stats and unique typing allow it to fit onto a variety of team archetypes and perform well. In this case, I'm using Chinchou to absorb status moves and check key threats in Fletchling and Magnemite, among others. Scald and Volt Switch are my STAB moves of choice that, although weak, are very useful; Scald has a nice burn chance that makes checking certain Pokemon easier, whereas Volt Switch is great for gaining momentum for the team in addition to dealing a bit of damage. Chinchou often has trouble lasting very long due to the number of Pokemon it has to switch into, meaning it gets worn down quite easily, so Rest serves to remedy this, while Sleep Talk ensures that Chinchou isn't left completely vulnerable while asleep.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 192 Def / 8 SpA / 152 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock

Ferroseed is able to do so many things in just one Pokemon. It checks the numerous dangerous offensive Water-type Pokemon, walls most Fairy- and Grass-types, and is able to set up hazards. Ferroseed all but guarantees that my team won't get swept by the likes of Omanyte, Zigzagoon, and Tirtouga. With that being said, I usually try to let the rest of the team handle most threats unless Ferroseed is the only one able to do so because of how difficult it is for Ferroseed to regain its HP compared to the rest of my team. Leech Seed and external support are pretty much Ferroseed's only methods, as it's a bit of a waste of Ferroseed's supporting potential to give up two moveslots for Resttalk. Bullet Seed is Ferroseed's STAB move, and is able to do a fair amount of damage with favorable rolls due to LC mechanics. Hazards are of course needed to take full advantage of the usage of Rapid Spin over Defog, as well as the switches the Pokemon on my team tend to force, with Stealth Rock arguably being the most effective hazard overall. Hidden Power Fighting allows Ferroseed to serve as a back-up check to Pawniard, OHKOing Life Orb variants after Stealth Rock and one round of Iron Barbs recoil, with Ferroseed almost always avoiding the OHKO from a +2 Life Orb-boosted Knock Off if at full health.

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

A staple on balanced and defensive teams alike, Spritzee is an incredible utility Pokemon that also checks Fighting-types in particular, which would otherwise be quite dangerous for this team. Wish support is great for Ferroseed in particular, as I mentioned earlier, and the entire team appreciates being rid of troublesome status through Aromatherapy. A combination of Wish and Protect allows Spritzee to reliably heal itself as well so it can stick around, and Moonblast is Spritzee's mandatory STAB move, dealing decent damage to Pokemon that don't resist it. The EVs lean towards being physically defensive because most Fighting-types are physical.

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 236 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Ponyta primarily serves as my team's check to Pawniard and Sun sweepers. It is arguably the best user of Will-O-Wisp right now, in part due to its high speed; this is useful for evading Sucker Punch against the likes of Pawniard and Stunky, as well as just crippling physical attackers that Ponyta would otherwise struggle against, including but not limited to Tirtouga, Archen, and Drilbur. Flare Blitz is able to deal heavy damage to most targets due to its high base power and Ponyta's good Attack stat, even without investments, and serves as a strong STAB move. Morning Sun, despite its low PP, is especially necessary on defensive Ponyta because Ponyta often does not resist the attacks it is switching into, such as Pawniard's Knock Off and Mienfoo's Drain Punch, as well as ensuring that it does not get worn down by Stealth Rock. Sunny Day is mostly a filler option, but helps to power up Flare Blitz and Morning Sun further. The given EVs are standard to ensure that Ponyta is able to avoid the 2HKO from Pawniard's Knock Off and Fletchling's Acrobatics, but in this case, I choose an Impish nature over the standard Jolly nature, mostly because I like the noticeably increased physical bulk in the jump from 15 to 16 Defense. In particular, the extra point increases Ponyta's chances to survive Archen's Stone Edge and Adamant Bunnelby's Earthquake before Stealth Rock and Tirtouga's Waterfall and Adamant Reckless Mienfoo's High Jump Kick after Stealth Rock, possibly in the case of a Will-O-Wisp miss.
Zeriloa suggested the use of Toxic so I don't have to rely on PP stalling to beat Porygon and Munchlax.

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 192 Def / 8 SpA / 152 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 236 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

That's all for my team. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to GhostGlaceon and Yagura for helping me through the process of writing this up :)​

Last edited:
this is a really interesting team and i'm not exactly an expert on stall, but i'd suggest toxic > sunny day on pony to put opposing porygon on a timer (atm your only real way of dealing with it is pp stall), it also wears down opposing sunnybeam pony, which could be problematic. you know a lot more about stall than me so maybe i'm wrong. anyways, team looks solid but it looks like most games would last 200 turns lol. also i disagree with impish because you're going to really want to have the speed tie chance against LO abra, which sort of runs through this team once ferro is weakened.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)