1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Updating past analysis?

Discussion in 'Site Projects' started by Matthew, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yes, even though DPP is the current generation that doesn't mean that RBY, GSC, and ADV shouldn't get their analysis updated a bit. RBY ones especially, though I haven't done much reading on GSC. Would anyone be up for a C&C project to help update these?
  2. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I've been meaning to fix a lot of the rby analyses for ages, but I dont find the time to do it. If someone else takes control of the project, I'd like to be able to make a lot of suggestions for things that need to be changed.

Have a nice day.
  3. Great Sage

Great Sage

The main obstacle to this is that there is not a reliable, commonly used simulator for the older generations. However, if someone is willing to lead this, go ahead.
  4. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I wouldn't mind updating these at all! We should try to have quality analyses for every generation anyway, so this is a good opportunity to start rewriting them.

I'd totally be up for this, and if you need help leading it Gen (I'm assuming you are going to lead it), I'd be glad to offer my assistance.

EDIT: I just looked at Aerodactyl's RBY analysis. This is going to be very interesting if you ask me.
  5. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I guess I could lead the project, but since it's a rather large one I would require some help keeping it updated, anyone want to help out?
  6. Loki

Loki like seashells
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournamentis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Champion

dont really have the time to write anything but i can consult for any gen
  7. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

While I think it is worthwhile to update past analyses... the related generations are all but extinct as far as Smogon is concerned. We do not support any simulator with RBY/GSC/ADV. As such, it is difficult to determine what the "current state" of the game might be for any of those games. There simply isn't an active medium and I think this project might be more effective if it is saved for such a time as RBY/GSC/ADV are regularly playable and an afficionado of the older gens is willing to step up to lead the project.

I'd be willing to direct the process if we supported the gens and someone would consult for GSC (which I dislike).
  8. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Well we definitely have enough expertise among our members to make these things of a sufficient standard, the only question is if there is anyone with that expertise willing to put aside the time to write these things.

I could accept that while there are no simulators there is no urgency to repair these things, but I dont see an issue with writing about the metagame as it was when there was a simulator. If there is no simulator then the metagame cant have changed..

If there is someone (or multiple people) who wants to take on the project then I'd like to help. But not to the extent of actually rewriting the analyses myself..

Have a nice day.
  9. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

I can consult as well. I don't think the generations have changed much since I last played them.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)