Updating Your Analysis/Thread

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Something that's been bothering me is thread etiquette, specifically when making edits to the OP from people's suggestions in the thread. If someone posts in your thread with a suggestion, whether it be the QC or GP team, or just someone with a good idea, please address them by posting or at least editing a post directly above them by saying that you've made a change to the OP or not and your reasons why. Don't worry about making pc++ posts, as long as your not double posting or being obnoxious about this. I would much rather know what is going on in your thread, than having to infer or guess.

Too often have I seen people taking other people's suggestions and making major edits to the OP without posting to say that they've done so. This is particularly troublesome when applying GP or QC edits. I realize that we can see when your most recent edit was, and we can probably assume that your most recent edit addressed the latest post in your thread, but you could have just as easily made a simple spacing correction or minor edit without having addressed the last post at all. We don't know.

Even if you give your reason for editing, or if you give a log like bmb does, please post in the thread saying that you've updated the OP. Just something as simple as "Thanks Chou I implemented your changes." This will make mine, the QC team, and the GP teams' lives so much easier. That way we know that you know that your thread is up to date.

Agreeing with this thread. Oglemi addressed this problem with me a few months ago (when I was doing it as well), and being on the QC team, I can definitely say that posting in your analysis will help.

/support

I completely support this. It's nice to post informing that you implemented something and to thank the person who came up with that suggestion (personally I think the latter is also very important).

Most users already do this, and for those who don't, it's much easier to actually make them aware of the issue by talking to them individually instead of posting a "READ ME" thread that none of the guilty users will read anyway.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I disagree, which is why I made the thread. This way there's also evidence that I can point to for stating a reason why they should do so.

Also, it wasn't that rage-filled, just rage-esque.

There's reason anyway. It's common sense for users to inform others of changes to their OP, because if they don't, they can edit it against QC/GP's wishes an do whatever they want. Regardless, it is still better to handle the users individually, and that is what you should do. Sweeping threads about things like this are never read by the users that should read them and aren't taken seriously because they're impersonal.

Oglemi

Borf
Handling the users individually is something which I have been doing and will continue to do, but giving a sweeping thread can hit many of the perpetrators at once, and will cut down on the people that I/we have to tell. Especially now that we've had this conversation, people may take it seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)