Ursaring [4N] - Trick Room Sweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at anything like this, but I think this set deserves to be on the site. I've used it to great success for quite some time now; but unfortunately my actual playing skill level leaves a lot to be desired, so giving my results would not be doing this bad boy any justice. I've written it up as though it is for OU play, so I hope this is the right place for it. Also, I hope Trick Room isn't seen as too much of a gimmick to consider this set. =/ I also hope the write-up itself is ok, because I would like to do a few more articles in the future.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ursaring

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Facade
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Close Combat / Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch
item: Flame Orb / Toxic Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring has the potential to be a devastating sweeper, but due to its average speed it is often overlooked. However, under the effects of Trick Room, Ursaring really shines. 130 base attack and 55 base speed are perfect for Trick Room sweeping, and Ursaring is one of the better candidates to do so.</p>

<p>Facade is the main attack you'll be using with this set, especially when inflicted with a status condition. 140 base power + STAB coming off max+ base 130 attack with a Guts boost is really quite scary to face off against, especially with Normal's pretty good neutral coverage. The other three attacks are mainly for coverage, due to there being a certain few threats that Facade just won't deal with. Crunch is needed for Ghosts such as Rotom-A, Dusknoir and Gengar who take zero damage from Facade, and are essentially the biggest concern Ursaring has. The choice between Close Combat and Earthquake is sometimes a tough one, since Fighting and Ground have near-identical coverage, but it should be adapted to what the rest of your team can deal with. Close Combat does tend to hit harder though, due to the extra 20 base power. Fire Punch is essential to take out Skarmory and Bronzong in one hit, and also does a number on Scizor, who annoys Trick Room teams with that renowned Bullet Punch.</p>

<p>The given EVs are quite simple really. 252 HP gives Ursaring some bulk, since no speed is required under the effects of Trick Room, and it means Ursaring can still take down at least one Pokemon when Trick Room has worn off if played correctly. 252 EVs in attack just make that beautiful 130 base attack utilized to its utmost. 4 EVs get shoved in defense because they may as well go somewhere. Brave nature is used to get to minimum speed whilst bringing that fearsome attack to its maximum.</p>

<p>Dusknoir is a very good partner in crime with Ursaring. Dusknoir can set up Trick Room, is bulky, and can use Will-o-wisp to cripple something and possibly force a switch. Its Ghost typing also means it can take the Fighting attacks aimed at Ursaring and set up Trick Room again when it has been exhausted. Porygon2 is also useful in aiding Ursaring for a sweep, since it can come in and Trace any Intimidating Pokemon who threaten to lessen Ursaring's damage output and end its sweep prematurely. Sadly it shares the same typing as Ursaring, so having both Ursaring and Porygon2 on the same team could be a liability.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at anything like this, but I think this set deserves to be on the site. I've used it to great success for quite some time now; but unfortunately my actual playing skill level leaves a lot to be desired, so giving my results would not be doing this bad boy any justice. I've written it up as though it is for OU play, so I hope this is the right place for it. Also, I hope Trick Room isn't seen as too much of a gimmick to consider this set. =/ I also hope the write-up itself is ok, because I would like to do a few more articles in the future.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ursaring

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Facade
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Close Combat / Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch
item: Flame Orb / Toxic Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring has the potential to be a devastating sweeper, but due to its average speed it is often overlooked. However, under the effects of Trick Room, Ursaring really shines. 130 base attack and 55 base speed are perfect for sweeping in Trick Room, and Ursaring is a prime candidate to take advantage of these stats.</p>

<p>Facade is the main attack you'll be using with this set, especially when inflicted with a status condition. 140 base power and STAB coming off maximum base 130 attack with a Guts boost is really quite scary to battle, especially with the Normal type's good neutral coverage. The other three attacks are mainly for coverage; Facade, while powerful, is walled by certain Pokemon. Crunch is needed for Ghosts such as Rotom-A, Dusknoir, and Gengar, who aren't affected by Facade. These Pokemon are essentially the biggest concern Ursaring has. The choice between Close Combat and Earthquake is sometimes a difficult one, since Fighting and Ground have near-identical coverage. Hence, the choice should be based on what the rest of your team has trouble dealing with. Close Combat, however, does tend to hit harder though, due to the extra 20 base power. Fire Punch is essential as it allows you to OHKO Skarmory and Bronzong in one hit, and also OHKOes Scizor, who can spell trouble for Trick Room teams with its powerful Bullet Punch.</p>

<p>The given EVs are extremely simple; 252 Hit Point EVs give Ursaring some bulk, since no speed is required under the effects of Trick Room, and it allows Ursaring to get another kill when the effects of Trick Room wear off. 252 attack EVs just allow Ursaring's beautiful base 130 attack to soar even higher. 4 EVs get shoved in defense because they may as well go somewhere. Brave nature is used to achieve minimum speed while bringing that fearsome attack to its maximum.</p>

<p>Dusknoir is a very good partner for Ursaring. Dusknoir can set up Trick Room, is very bulky, and can use Will-o-Wisp to cripple a physical attacker and possibly force a switch. Its Ghost typing also means it can take the Fighting attacks aimed at Ursaring and set up Trick Room again when its effects have been diminished. Porygon2 is also useful in aiding Ursaring for a sweep, since it can come in and Trace any Pokemon who may Intimidate Ursaring, aiming to lower its damage output. Sadly it shares the same typing as Ursaring, so having both Ursaring and Porygon2 on the same team could be somewhat of a liability.</p>
Additions in blue, things to take out in red.

This seems pretty much the same as the normal Ursaring sets, except for you say that it is meant to be used under Trick Room. I'm honostly not to sure if this deserves a spot in the analysis, but I'll test it later on if I have any time.

With only 4 turns to get the job done in Trick Room conditions. Flame Orb is definately the better option and I do not beleieve Toxic Orb should even be slashed it as it is simply an inferior option on this perticular set.

While it means nothing at all practically. You do not have to say that the defense EVs are there for nothing but something more along the lines of most priority attakcks are physical.

Other than that good job

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This has already been mentiond in This Article, and I do not believe we are allowing sets used for niche purposes such as this unles the Pokemon learns it.

Because of this, I'm afraid I will have to lock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)