Ursaring GP 2/2

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>Ursaring is possibly one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when inflicted with a status condition, it can be a great Trick Room sweeper. Outside of Trick Room, Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if its Speed has not been boosted.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Sweeper
move 1: Facade
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Protect
item: Flame Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice because its base 315 power, thanks to Guts, is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012 if Facade is not used, as it lets it 2HKO most Pokemon who resist it. Close Combat, although it drops its Defense and Special Defense, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KOs on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill, and hits Steel-types for major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types so Crunch is preferred because it can possibly OHKO standard Chandelure. Ursaring should avoid using Protect except when Trick Room is being set up or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it isn’t very useful, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring alive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring only really works in Trick Room, so a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs are best. The given EV spread is to increase Ursaring's durability and works best if Ursaring isn't constantly in battle.</p>

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners such as Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Facade stronger with Helping Hand if needed. Because of the damage it takes from its Flame Orb, Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse, specifically Slowking, who can also set up Trick Room and counter most Fighting-types. Pokemon with Intimidate are welcome partners as well, as most Fighting-type moves tend to be physical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to attack freely while its partner takes any damage directed at Ursaring. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast-paced VGC metagame; Sableye provides both Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring can use an Adamant nature with a Speed IV of 31 instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better. Earthquake can be used to hit Pokemon such as Heatran harder, but Close Combat is usually a better choice. Low Kick is essentially a weaker Close Combat, but may be preferred because it doesn't lower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a lot of prediction to work effectively. Fling is also usable when using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch the superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent makes it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Ursaring isn't using Guts, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The elemental punches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful to destroy Reflect and Light Screen. Night Slash's higher critical hit ratio is all it really has over Crunch, and is therefore an inferior option to it. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times, as the Speed drops would make actually Ursaring faster. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with its status cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither works well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is to be played more conservatively, as it does less damage than a Flame Orb only if Ursaring is on the field for three or less turns. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry that preserve its bulk can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being attacked twice in one turn, nor can it hande facing most Fighting-types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of its access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't switch out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always problems, but it depends on which move they stop. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon uses a priority move on it, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring. Pokemon with very strong, Gem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; for example, most Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i think a 0 speed iv would be ideal if it's being used under trick room so that should be specified

maybe mention return in oo if facade doesnt seem like it'll work on your team (if youre using toxic orb already or just dont want to be taking residual damage each turn)

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
I think Brick Break and Night Slash could be unslashed to keep it from having too many slashes, seeing how there are much better options for it to use that those moves are slashed with. Maybe switch Hammer Arm for Low Kick maybe. Also make mention of Flame Orb+Fling possibility. Personally I would use Flame Orb instead of Toxic Orb, but that's just me I guess. Mention Sableye as a partner who can burn with Will-O-wisp allowing Ursaring to use gems possibly. Good stuff :D

Cassie

giant claw
Alright added the changes, I chose Toxic Orb because it's less damage in the long run and Fling is pretty hard to pull off, but I see your point. I'm gonna put Brick Break and Hammer Arm in oo, and put Low Kick as the second slash since it still has the 87% chance of KO through chople on Tyranitar.

I have it as a simple outline for now, I plan on going really in-depth on Ursaring.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Toxic Orb only takes 3 turns to out damage Burn Orb. After Protect stalling, Burn Orb usually ends up being the least damaging over the long run encase you aren't able to switch out to reset the damage counter.

I don't think that Quick Feet should really be considered, seeing as Guts is Ursaring's main selling point, and one little speed boost to its measly 55 Base Speed really won't outspeed much (and considering Ursaring works better in Trick Room anyways).

And yeah I'd run Flame Orb instead, just me.

Cassie

giant claw
Switched Toxic Orb for Flame Orb, but it really depends on the person and what they're trying to do with Ursaring. As for the Quick Feet thing, I'll just be mentioning that Ursaring has that as a possibility to use it, but I will not be supporting it. I just want to mention why Guts is better.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that Cofagrigus deserves a mention in counters, as Mummy will screw over Ursaring's attack boost.

Aside from that, this looks good to me.
QC 1/2

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seeing almost all users of Fighting-type attacks are physical, Intimidate support would be good.

Not sure why you're moving out Low Kick for Hammer Arm, seeing as Ursaring won't outspeed most things out of it, and the lowered Speed would help immensely in Trick Room. Of course, things like Tyranitar do take less damage from it, but it would help against the likes of Ferrothorn, which wall it otherwise if you're running Low Kick. The tradeoffs favor Hammer Arm imo.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would probably add more emphasis on priority moves in the counters section, especially Scizor's Bullet Punch and Hitmontop's Mach/Sucker Punch. Even Metagross too if you want, just because they obviously hit first both in and out of Trick Room. Ursaring doesn't have spectacular defences and not to mention with the status damage + possible Close Combat defence drops, picking it off with priority would be fairly easy.

Cassie

giant claw
Okay added what gec said, and decided to move CC to oo because the defense drops make it easy to pick off. Low Kick covers most of the CC KOs so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Hammer Arm is staying in oo as well, Low Kick should only be used against Steel- / Rock-types anyway.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ahhhhh i wrote a post then closed out T_T;

4 spd evs not def, porygonz

ivs: 0 Spe not Speed o 3o

cc / eq low kick in oo

(ttar and metagross important, low kick hits less stuff, facade all the things)

Amateur GP Check

[Overview]

<p>Ursaring may be one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and a STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when Ursaring has a status condition, it can be a great Trick Room Sweeper. Outside of Trick Room environments Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if it does not have a Speed advantage.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice for Ursaring's moveset because its base 315 power (thanks to Guts) is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012 <such as?>. Ursaring's Facade 2HKOes most resistant Pokemon as well <such as?>. Close Combat, although crippling to Ursaring, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KO possibilities,s on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill; Close Combat hits, while also hitting Steel-Ttypes that resist Facade harderfor major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types, so Crunch is preferred, possibly OHKOing standard Chandelures. Ursaring should avoid using Protect, except for the turn that Trick Room is being set up, or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it won't be used much, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring in the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring prefers Trick Room conditions, so a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs are best. The given EV spread is to increase Ursaring's survivability, and works best if Ursaring isn't constantly in battle.</p>

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners like Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Facade even stronger with Helping Hand, if needed. The damage from Bthe burn means that Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse partners, specifically Slowking who can set up Trick Room, hit the pesky Fighting-types, and heal Ursaring. Intimidate partners are welcome as well, as most Fighting-types moves tend to be Pphysical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to freely attackattack freely while its partner takes the damage. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast paced metagame that is VGC 2012; Sableye provides both Fake Out support and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring could use an Adamant spreadnature with a 31 Speed IV instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better <why would you use Adamant? Does it outspeed anything notable? If not, I would remove this sentence>. Earthquake can be considered to hit things like Heatran harder, but Close Combat tends to be better. Low Kick is basically a weaker Close Combat on some Pokemon, but may be preferred because it doesn't droplower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a high level of prediction. Fling is also usable while using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch betterthe superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent could make it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Guts isn't Ursaring's ability, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The Eelemental Ppunches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful if Reflect or Light Screen seem threatening. Night Slash's higher Ccritical Hhit ratio could make it a desirable option over Crunch. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times while on the field, as the Speed drops would make it thUrsaring become fastestr. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with Guts cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither work well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is more conservative. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry, that preserve its bulk can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being double targeted or facing most Fighting -types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of it's access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't get switched out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always terriproblems, it just depends on which move it stops. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon uses a priority moves, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring <such as?>. Pokemon with very strong gemGem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Ursaring may be one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and a STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when Ursaring has a status condition, it can be a great Trick Room Sweeper. Outside of Trick Room environments Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if it does not have a Speed advantage.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice for Ursaring's moveset because its base 315 power (thanks to Guts) is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012 <such as?>. Ursaring's Facade 2HKOes most resistant Pokemon as well <such as?>. Close Combat, although crippling to Ursaring, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KOs on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill, while also hitting Steel-types for major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types, so Crunch is preferred, possibly OHKOing standard Chandelure. Ursaring should avoid using Protect, except for the turn that Trick Room is being set up or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it won't be used much, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring in the game.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring prefers Trick Room conditions, so a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs are best. The given EV spread is to increase Ursaring's survivability, and works best if Ursaring isn't constantly in battle.</p>

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners like Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Facade even stronger with Helping Hand, if needed. The damage from the burn means that Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse, specifically Slowking who can set up Trick Room, hit pesky Fighting-types, and heal Ursaring. Intimidate partners are welcome as well, as most Fighting-type moves tend to be physical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to attack freely while its partner takes the damage. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast paced metagame; Sableye provides both Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring could use an Adamant nature with a 31 Speed IV instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better <why would you use Adamant? Does it outspeed anything notable? If not, I would remove this sentence>. Earthquake can be considered to hit things like Heatran harder, but Close Combat tends to be better. Low Kick is basically a weaker Close Combat on some Pokemon, but may be preferred because it doesn't lower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a high level of prediction. Fling is also usable while using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch the superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent could make it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Guts isn't Ursaring's ability, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The elemental punches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful if Reflect or Light Screen seem threatening. Night Slash's higher critical hit ratio could make it a desirable option over Crunch. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times, as the Speed drops would make Ursaring become faster. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with Guts cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither work well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is more conservative. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry, that preserve its bulk can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being double targeted or facing most Fighting-types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of its access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't switch out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always problems, it just depends on which move it stops. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon uses a priority move, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring <such as?>. Pokemon with very strong Gem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>

I would just be more specific in some places and provide more examples to make the analysis more informative.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Ursaring may be is possibly one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and a STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when Ursaring has a status condition,it can be a great Trick Room Sweeper. Outside of Trick Room environments Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if it does not have a Speed advantage it’s Speed has not been boosted.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice for Ursaring's moveset because its base 315 power (thanks to Guts) is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012 such as…?. Ursaring's Facade 2HKOes most resistant Pokemon who resist it as well such as…?. Close Combat, although crippling to Ursaring, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KOs on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill,while also hitting and hits Steel-types for major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types, so Crunch is preferred, possibly OHKOing standard Chandelure. Ursaring should avoid using Protect, except for the turn that Trick Room is being set up or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it won't be used much isn’t very useful, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring in the game alive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring prefers Trick Room conditions only really works in Trick Room, so a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs are best. The given EV spread is to increase Ursaring's survivability durability, and works best if Ursaring isn't constantly in battle.</p>

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners like such as Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Facade even stronger with Helping Hand, if needed. The damage from the burn burn damage means that Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse, specifically Slowking who can also set up Trick Room, hit counter most pesky Fighting-types, and heal Ursaring. Intimidate partners Pokemon with Intimidate are welcome partners as well, as most Fighting-type moves tend to be physical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to attackfreely while its partner takes the any damage directed at Ursaring. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast paced metagame; Sableye provides both Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring could can use an Adamant nature with a 31 Speed IV Speed IV of 31 instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better <why would you use Adamant? Does it outspeed anything notable? If not, I would remove this sentence>. Earthquake can be considered used to hit things like Heatran harder, but Close Combat tends to be better. Low Kick is basically essentially a weaker Close Combat on some Pokemon, but may be preferred because it doesn't lower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a high level a lot of prediction to work effectively. Fling is also usable while when using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch the superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent could makes it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Guts isn't Ursaring's ability Ursaring isn't using Guts, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The elemental punches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful if to destroy Reflect or and Light Screen seem threatening. Night Slash's higher critical hit ratio could make it a desirable option is all it really has over Crunch, and is therefore an inferior option to it. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times, as the Speed drops would actually make Ursaring become faster. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with Guts cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither works well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is more conservative. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry, that preserve its bulk can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being double targeted attacked twice in one turn or facing most Fighting-types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of its access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't switch out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always problems, it just depends on which move it they stops. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon usesa priority move on it, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring <such as?>. Pokemon with very strong, Gem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; for example,most Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>
[Overview]

<p>Ursaring is possibly one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when Ursaring has a status condition, it can be a great Trick Room Sweeper. Outside of Trick Room Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if it’s Speed has not been boosted.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice because its base 315 power (thanks to Guts) is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012. Ursaring's Facade 2HKOes most Pokemon who resist it. Close Combat, although crippling to Ursaring, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KOs on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill, and hits Steel-types for major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types, so Crunch is preferred, possibly OHKOing standard Chandelure. Ursaring should avoid using Protect, except for the turn that Trick Room is being set up or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it isn’t very useful, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring alive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring only really works in Trick Room, so a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs are best. The given EV spread is to increase Ursaring's durability, and works best if Ursaring isn't constantly in battle.</p>

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners such as Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Façade stronger with Helping Hand if needed. The burn damage means that Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse, specifically Slowking who can also set up Trick Room, counter most Fighting-types, and heal Ursaring. Pokemon with Intimidate are welcome partners as well, as most Fighting-type moves tend to be physical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to attack freely while its partner takes any damage directed at Ursaring. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast paced metagame; Sableye provides both Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring can use an Adamant nature with a Speed IV of 31 instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better. Earthquake can be used to hit things like Heatran harder, but Close Combat tends to be better. Low Kick is essentially a weaker Close Combat, but may be preferred because it doesn't lower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a lot of prediction to work effectively. Fling is also usable when using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch the superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent makes it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Ursaring isn't using Guts, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The elemental punches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful to destroy Reflect and Light Screen. Night Slash's higher critical hit ratio is all it really has over Crunch, and is therefore an inferior option to it. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times, as the Speed drops would make actually Ursaring faster. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with Guts cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither works well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is more conservative. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry, that preserve its bulk can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being attacked twice in one turn or facing most Fighting-types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of its access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't switch out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always problems, it just depends on which move they stop. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon uses a priority move on it, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring. Pokemon with very strong, Gem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; for example, most Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>

GP 1/2

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
placeholder for amcheck
<p>Ursaring is possibly one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when Usaring has inflicted with a status condition, it can be a great Trick Room Sweeper. Outside of Trick Room, <add comma> Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if its <remove apostrophe> Speed has not been boosted.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice because its base 315 power, <add comma> (thanks to Guts), <add comma> is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012 if Facade is not used. <remove period> because its Facade 2HKOes most Pokemon who resist it. Close Combat, although crippling to Ursaring it drops its Defense and Special Defense, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KOs on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill, and hits Steel-types for major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types, <remove comma> so Crunch is preferred, <remove comma> because it can possibly OHKOing standard Chandelure. Ursaring should avoid using Protect, <remove comma> except for the turn that when Trick Room is being set up or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it isn’t very useful, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring alive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring only really works in Trick Room, so a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs are best. The given EV spread is to increase Ursaring's durability, <remove comma> and works best if Ursaring isn't constantly in battle.</p>

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners such as Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Façade stronger with Helping Hand if needed. The Because of burn status-inficting damage, <add comma> means that Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse, specifically Slowking, <add comma> who can also set up Trick Room, counter most Fighting-types, and heal Ursaring. Pokemon with Intimidate are welcome partners as well, as most Fighting-type moves tend to be physical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to attack freely while its partner takes any damage directed at Ursaring. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast-paced VGC metagame; Sableye provides both Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring can use an Adamant nature with a Speed IV of 31 instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better. Earthquake can be used to hit things like Heatran harder, but Close Combat tends to be better is usually a better choice (you just said "tends to be better"). Low Kick is essentially a weaker Close Combat, but may be preferred because it doesn't lower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a lot of prediction to work effectively. Fling is also usable when using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch the superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent makes it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Ursaring isn't using Guts, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The elemental punches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful to destroy Reflect and Light Screen. Night Slash's higher critical hit ratio is all it really has over Crunch, and is therefore an inferior option to it. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times, as the Speed drops would make actually Ursaring faster. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with Guts cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither works well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is more conservative. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry, <remove comma> that preserve its bulk, <add comma> can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being attacked twice in one turn, <add comma> nor can it hande facingmost Fighting-types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of its access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't switch out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always problemgs, it just depends on which move they stop. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon uses a priority move on it, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring. Pokemon with very strong, Gem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; for example, most Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>

done

GP CHECK
[Overview]

<p>Ursaring is possibly one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when inflicted with a status condition, it can be a great Trick Room Ssweeper. Outside of Trick Room, Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if its Speed has not been boosted.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice because its base 315 power, thanks to Guts, is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012 if Facade is not used because, as it lets it 2HKOes most Pokemon who resist it. Close Combat, although it drops its Defense and Special Defense, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KOs on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill, and hits Steel-types for major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types so Crunch is preferred because it can possibly OHKO standard Chandelure. Ursaring should avoid using Protect except when Trick Room is being set up or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it isn’t very useful, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring alive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ursaring only really works in Trick Room, so a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs are best. The given EV spread is to increase Ursaring's durability and works best if Ursaring isn't constantly in battle.</p>

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners such as Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Façcade stronger with Helping Hand if needed. Because of status-inficting damagethe damage it takes from its Flame Orb, Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse, specifically Slowking, who can also set up Trick Room, and counter most Fighting-types, and heal Ursaring. Pokemon with Intimidate are welcome partners as well, as most Fighting-type moves tend to be physical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to attack freely while its partner takes any damage directed at Ursaring. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast-paced VGC metagame; Sableye provides both Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring can use an Adamant nature with a Speed IV of 31 instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better. Earthquake can be used to hit things likePokemon such as Heatran harder, but Close Combat is usually a better choice. Low Kick is essentially a weaker Close Combat, but may be preferred because it doesn't lower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a lot of prediction to work effectively. Fling is also usable when using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch the superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent makes it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Ursaring isn't using Guts, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The elemental punches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful to destroy Reflect and Light Screen. Night Slash's higher critical hit ratio is all it really has over Crunch, and is therefore an inferior option to it. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times, as the Speed drops would make actually Ursaring faster. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with Gutits status cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither works well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is to be played more conservatively, as it does less damage than a Fle Orb only if Ursaring is on the field for three or less turns. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry that preserve its bulk, can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being attacked twice in one turn, nor can it hande facing most Fighting-types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of its access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't switch out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always problemgs, it jusbut it depends on which move they stop. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon uses a priority move on it, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring. Pokemon with very strong, Gem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; for example, most Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Ursaring is possibly one of the most overlooked Pokemon in the VGC 2012 metagame. With access to Guts, a base 130 Attack stat, and STAB Facade that reaches a base power of 315 when inflicted with a status condition, it can be a great Trick Room sweeper. Outside of Trick Room, Ursaring struggles because of its base 55 Speed, so it does not see much action. Ursaring's niche is sweeping, so it's important to avoid keeping Ursaring on the field for long periods of time if its Speed has not been boosted.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Facade is an obvious choice because its base 315 power, thanks to Guts, is just too much to pass up. Ursaring is otherwise outclassed by the more common Pokemon seen in VGC 2012 if Facade is not used, as it lets it 2HKO most Pokemon who resist it. Close Combat, although it drops its Defense and Special Defense, is the best choice for this set because it gets crucial KOs on Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Excadrill, and hits Steel-types for major damage. Facade can't touch Ghost-types so Crunch is preferred because it can possibly OHKO standard Chandelure. Ursaring should avoid using Protect except when Trick Room is being set up or when facing Fighting-types with priority moves, such as Hitmontop. Although it isn’t very useful, Protect can be invaluable when trying to keep Ursaring alive.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Seeing as Ursaring works best in Trick Room, it loves Trick Room partners such as Cresselia or Chandelure; Cresselia is even able to make Facade stronger with Helping Hand if needed. Because of the damage it takes from its Flame Orb, Ursaring appreciates partners with Heal Pulse, specifically Slowking, who can also set up Trick Room and counter most Fighting-types. Pokemon with Intimidate are welcome partners as well, as most Fighting-type moves tend to be physical. Follow Me and Rage Powder users are also extremely useful to Ursaring, allowing it to attack freely while its partner takes any damage directed at Ursaring. Fake Out users are priceless in the fast-paced VGC metagame; Sableye provides both Fake Out and Will-O-Wisp support, allowing Ursaring to have a bit more freedom when attacking outside of Trick Room.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Ursaring can use an Adamant nature with a Speed IV of 31 instead, but Trick Room Ursaring tends to work better. Earthquake can be used to hit Pokemon such as Heatran harder, but Close Combat is usually a better choice. Low Kick is essentially a weaker Close Combat, but may be preferred because it doesn't lower Ursaring's defenses. Counter can be really useful, but requires a lot of prediction to work effectively. Fling is also usable when using Flame Orb or Toxic Orb, but the one time chance and the prediction needed to pull it off makes Crunch the superior option. Rock Slide's ability to possibly flinch the opponent makes it another desirable option. Double-Edge and Return should only be used if Ursaring isn't using Guts, but Ursaring isn't really worth using without Facade. The elemental punches are also usable on Ursaring for coverage purposes. Brick Break doesn't hit nearly as hard as Close Combat or Low Kick, but can be useful to destroy Reflect and Light Screen. Night Slash's higher critical hit ratio is all it really has over Crunch, and is therefore an inferior option to it. Hammer Arm is more useful if Ursaring is guaranteed Trick Room at all times, as the Speed drops would make actually Ursaring faster. Swords Dance and Bulk Up are possible choices over Protect, but they won't get much use with its status cutting Ursaring's HP every turn. Unnerve and Quick Feet are Ursaring's other abilities, and neither works well enough to be used over Guts. Toxic Orb is a useful item if Ursaring is to be played more conservatively, as it does less damage than a Fle Orb only if Ursaring is on the field for three or less turns. Although Ursaring is severely outclassed without Guts, other items such as Sitrus Berry or Chople Berry that preserve its bulk can be considered.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ursaring can't handle being attacked twice in one turn, nor can it hande facing most Fighting-types. Hitmontop is especially annoying for Ursaring because of its access to Mach Punch. If Ursaring doesn't switch out at all, then its burn will eventually take it out instead. Cofagrigus's Mummy ability tends to cause problems because it nullifies Guts. Disable and Cursed Body from other Ghost-types aren't always problems, but it depends on which move they stop. Ursaring becomes frail after a Close Combat, so if any Pokemon uses a priority move on it, Ursaring will probably go down. Steel-types and bulky Pokemon tend to give Ursaring trouble because they can usually take a hit and then leave a dent in Ursaring. Pokemon with very strong, Gem-boosted attacks also give Ursaring trouble; for example, most Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteors can OHKO Ursaring, so Trick Room definitely needs to be set up to avoid these situations. Without the Speed advantage, Ursaring is very easy to stop.</p>

GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)