NU Ursaring

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
QC: Punchshroom Soulgazer Montsegur
GP: horyzhnz V0x

Overview
########
Ursaring is a very strong Pokemon with a gargantuan Attack stat and a respectable movepool, meaning it can deliver very powerful blows to most Pokemon in the tier. It also has a nifty ability in Quick Feet, mitigating its subpar Speed. However, this reliance on having a status effect to utilize Quick Feet undermines Ursaring's decent bulk.

Quick Feet
########
name: Quick Feet
move 1: Facade
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Protect / Swords Dance
ability: Quick Feet
item: Toxic Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Facade is the primary STAB attack, having twice as much Base Power from being statused. It allows Ursaring to utterly decimate any Pokemon that does not resist or is immune to it. As a result, Ursaring must run Crunch, allowing it to deal with Ghost-type Pokemon such as Mismagius and Rotom. These previous two moves still leave Ursaring partially walled by Steel-type Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Steelix, so Close Combat is used as it almost guarantees a 2HKO on the former, and allows for Ursaring to always 4HKO the latter. The last moveslot is reserved for a utility move, depending on the scenario. Protect can be used to allow Ursaring to guarantee the activation of its status orb, allowing it to outspeed many Pokemon in the tier that are not holding a Choice Scarf. However, Protect is redundant if Ursaring has any form of slow U-turn or Volt Switch support, as both of those guarantee that Ursaring gets statused. In this case, Swords Dance is much more beneficial to run, as it allows Ursaring to double its already high Attack stat. It also punishes Pokemon that attempt to stall out Ursaring, allowing Ursaring to get up to +2 Attack. Alternatively, either Seed Bomb or Earthquake could be run in the last slot. The former deals with Pokemon such as Rhydon and Seismitoad, always 2HKOing them after Stealth Rock damage. Earthquake can help deal with Garbodor, letting Ursaring avoid the Rocky Helmet and Aftermath damage at the expense of not always getting an OHKO.

Set Details
========
252 EVs in Attack allows Ursaring to tear through certain defensive Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Ferroseed easier, making it a force to be reckoned with. 252 EVs are placed in Speed alongside a Jolly nature, allowing Ursaring to outspeed base 106 Speed Pokemon such as Pyroar and Mismagius after the Quick Feet boost, and proceed to OHKO them with Facade and Crunch, respectively.

Usage Tips
========
The best way to ensure that Ursaring gets the Quick Feet boost without having to run Protect is to pivot it in on a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, ensuring that it gets in safely without having to take prior damage. The first priority of Ursaring is to whittle down opposing Pokemon, seeing as it cannot stay in for prolonged amounts of time due to the status ailment it requires to function. On Pokemon that attempt to stall Ursaring out with Protect, getting up a Swords Dance is a surefire way to ensure that Ursaring blasts through such Pokemon. Ursaring also needs to be cautious in certain scenarios that could cost it valuable health, such as in the instance of Ghost- and Steel-types. Trying to hit such Pokemon with a move that is not very effective can cost Ursaring precious time, so take into consideration what move to use based on the team matchup.

Team Options
========
Ursaring gets whittled down quickly due to Toxic damage and potential hazards, so having a Wish passer is greatly beneficial to Ursaring's performance. On more balanced teams, Audino is a decent fit for this, though it shares a weakness to Fighting-type attacks and costs momentum in certain instances. On more offensive teams, Slurpuff and Flareon are better at Wish passing, as they can also keep up offensive pressure. Slurpuff excels especially well on this one, being able to threaten Fighting-type Pokemon that pester Ursaring. Ursaring also lacks power without Guts, so it requires entry hazard support to score certain essential OHKOs. A prime example of this is against Rotom-S, as Ursaring has less than a 50% chance to OHKO it from full with Facade without prior damage, whereas Ursaring's Facade always OHKOes Rotom-S after Stealth Rock damage. The Pokemon best suited for this role would be Seismitoad, as it can take Fighting-type attacks relatively easy while still getting up Stealth Rock. Seismitoad can also attempt to burn physical attackers with Scald, thoroughly neutering them for Ursaring. To get Ursaring in safely and ensure a Quick Feet boost, having slow U-turn or Volt Switch support is almost required. Pelipper and Lanturn both work here, with the former being able to remove hazards that whittle Ursaring down as well as potentially burn physical attackers, and the latter having some offensive pressure and the ability to burn physical attackers for Ursaring. Other Pokemon that work would be Togetic and Musharna, which can both Baton Pass to Ursaring safely and not be threatened at all by Fighting-type attacks. Alternatively, Probopass can be used to wall faster threats in the tier, though it shares a crippling weakness to Fighting-type attacks with Ursaring.

Other Options
########
Ursaring can run a Choice Band set to utilize its monstrous Attack stat, though it does not guarantee that Ursaring gets statused, which is one of the key reasons to use Ursaring. Alternatively, Ursaring can run a Guts set in place of Quick Feet, though it is outclassed by Zangoose as Ursaring has no access to priority and is relatively slow. However, a Guts set can easily be used as a bluff to surprise opponents expecting to survive a Quick Feet attack. In that regard, Ursaring should only run a Toxic Orb on this set, as a Flame Orb would make it clear to the opponent that the Ursaring is Guts instead of Quick Feet. Finally, Ursaring can run Taunt to prevent set up sweepers from setting up, utilizing the immense Speed it possesses after a Quick Feet boost.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Steel-types**: Steelix can easily switch into a Close Combat from Ursaring, and retaliate for heavy damage after the defense drops. Ferroseed can also switch into anything but Close Combat and proceed to whittle it down with Leech Seed. Ursaring also faces the issue of taking Iron Barbs damage from Ferroseed, which further wears it down.

**Fast Fighting-types**: Pokemon such as Sawk and Primeape that outspeed Ursaring are typically able to OHKO it with any STAB move, as Ursaring has only moderately decent Defenses.

**Priority Attacks**: Ursaring doesn't boast the greatest defenses, and has a hard time recovering any HP due to the status it has to inflict on itself in order to work. This means that most STAB priority moves such as Gurdurr's Mach Punch can remove Ursaring once it has been whittled down a decent chunk.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Jolly Quick Feet is the only viable set Ursaring has atm; Zangoose completely outdoes Ursaring in the 'smash everything with Uber-powered Facades' department and even has priority, while Ursaring's access to Play Rough is no longer an advantage since Spiritomb is gone. Quick Feet Ursaring can at least Crunch the Ghost-types that Zangoose cannot Quick Attack against.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

Goddamnit, I meant to change that when I removed Guts. Thanks for the catch Water Drone. Also grats on da ladybug+mentor methinks.

Edit: I even changed it in the set details before posting. Dahell is wrong with me?

Punchshroom

You're going to have to be more convincing as to why Earthquake even deserves a slash, because you did not give any notable reason why it should be used at all: what targets take more damage from Earthquake than Facade or Close Combat?

Also, Ursaring is not supposed to get 'multiple' Swords Dances, it should just go for one and clean up; not because one boost is enough, but because it simply won't last long enough to aim for two. Instead of mentioning Protect and Swords Dance's flaws, elaborate on their advantages that the other move does not have: mention that Protect allows Ursaring to revenge kill opponents, while Swords Dance can take advantage of opponents trying to Protect stall Ursaring or pivot switch against it.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, while EQ may not be that great on ursaring it certainly has a huge merit that is not mentioned. By using earthquake, you can always OHKO or 2HKO garbodor (depending on prior damage and if it has an sd up) and you avoid the rocky helmet and aftermath damage. That is pretty huge for physical attackers.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The overview is still suited for the Guts set, change please

I think Earthquake should be moved to Moves or even OO. It doesn't hit many things notable apart from Garbodor and a super effective EQ hits less hard than a neutral Facade / super effective CC.

In Set Details, mention the speed tier that Ursaring jumps as well as relevant Pokemon that it beats

Usage Tips is quite bare, you need to expand on that: should you predict a lot? when do you send out Ursaring? when do you SD? etc

Team Options is also really bare. Is Audino really such a good teammate for it? You'll need to do a lot more convincing if you're keeping it there because it doesn't seem like it to me (Audino sorta slows down momentum and they both share weaknesses). Your second point also makes no sense because you mention the KO on Rotom from Guts but that has no significance whatsoever to entry hazards. You'll need to add more stuff as teammates as well, especially slow pivots which you talked about in usage tips.

In OO, mention that Zangoose outclasses Guts by quite a bit.

Checks and Counters needs to be changed. You didn't mention a single thing that can switch into Ursaring. I'd like you to add some of those (I hope I don't need to list them for you). Also, remove VoltTurn cores because I don't see how they even check Ursaring, much less counter it. Pretty much everything you have here can be grouped into one section on Faster Pokemon: Choice Scarf users, naturally faster Pokemon, and priority users.

Punchshroom

The three last moves all serve various different purposes: Protect to scout for moves, Swords Dance to allow Ursaring to become a late-game sweeper, and Earthquake for more coverage. However, all of these moves have fault with them. Protect does nothing beneficial to Ursaring, instead whittling away at the HP it cannot regain. Swords Dance is similar to Protect, wasting turns of residual damage. Protect can aid Ursaring in revenge killing, however, through allowing Ursaring a guaranteed Quick Feet boost which lets it outspeed a good portion of Pokemon. However, supposing Ursaring gets up a Swords Dance, it still takes moderate amounts of damage, leaving it quite susceptible to priority moves. It is primarily used as a late game cleaner, allowing it to either remove or whittle down remaining Pokemon immensely. Earthquake, while nice, is a move that serves no particular purpose as most of the Pokemon weak to Earthquake take larger amounts of damage from Facade. The only exception to this is in the instance of Ursaring not being statused yet, such as a first turn in. Having Earthquake allows Ursaring to always OHKO standard Magmortar and almost always OHKO standard Typhlosion, whereas Facade does a maximum of 65%.
I feel like you're overexaggarating the 'disadvantages' of Protect and Swords Dance. Again, simply elaborate what each move does for Ursaring. You did not mention the bit about Swords Dance punishing opponents that attempt to stall out Ursaring with poison damage. Also why on earth would you send in an unboosted Ursaring against Magmortar / Typhlosion, when Quick Feet Facade easily makes short work of both of them?

252+ Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 348-411 (119.1 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 309-364 (104 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Implement scorp's changes while you're at it.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
dont say that ursaring is predictable in overview lol, if its using a toxic orb its impossible to tell if its gonna be Guts or Quick Feet, and if they guess wrong it can be bad for the opponent.

I don't think Ursaring has the time to use Swords Dance. Earthquake and Seed bomb seems more interesting.

Quick Feet
########
move 4: Protect

Swords Dance, Seed Bomb (hits Rhydon and Seismitoad), and Earthquake (hits Garbodor, and Steel-types without recoil).

Taunt in Other Options.

do this and qc 2/3 slayerx725232

slayerx725232

Not entirely sure if I hit all the points Soulgazer since I'm kinda out of it right now and preoccupied with homework, so if you wouldn't mind making sure I did hit them all that would be lovely.

Punchshroom

I don't think Ursaring has the time to use Swords Dance. Earthquake and Seed bomb seems more interesting.
Ursaring has time for Swords Dance against opponents that switch back and forth on Ursaring to stall it out. Being faster than Zangoose can prompt more opponents to try that tactic, which SD easily punishes.

Also slayerx725232 you can say Protect is not nearly as necessary if slow VoltTurn support is used, and you can say that Guts (in OO) can be used to surprise foes expecting to tank a Quick Feet set, though using Flame Orb is not recommended as it would give it away.

Also put Swords Dance back in.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would like to see Swords Dance slashed after Protect, reason being if it gets up a Swords Dance litterally nothing can wall it.

You forgot to put the title as 2/3 lol.

3/3 slayerx725232 (why do you have so many numbers in your name lol ?.?)

Edit @ below: I know its his PS name and I think I asked about it once, I just dont remember why lol

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would like to see Swords Dance slashed after Protect, reason being if it gets up a Swords Dance litterally nothing can wall it.

You forgot to put the title as 2/3 lol.

3/3 slayerx725232 (why do you have so many numbers in your name lol ?.?)
I'll get him to remove them eventually...its his PS name D:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
Ursaring is a very strong Pokemon with a gargantuan Attack stat as well as a respectable movepool, meaning it can deliver very powerful blows to most Pokemon in the tier. It also has a nifty ability in Quick Feet, mitigating its subpar Speed. However, this reliance on having a status effect to utilize Quick Feet undermines Ursaring's moderately decent bulk. To make up for it, Ursaring does have a respectable movepool and coverage.

Quick Feet
########

Moves
========
Facade is the primary STAB attack for Ursaring, gaining both the STAB multiplier and the double getting twice as much Base Power from being statused. It allows for Ursaring to utterly decimate any Pokemon that does not resist it. Ursaring is unable to hit Ghost-types with this, however, and subsequently must runs Crunch, allowing it to deal with Ghost-type Pokemon such as Mismagius and Rotom. These previous two moves still leave Ursaring partially walled by Steel-type Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Steelix, so Close Combat should be run is used as it almost guarantees a 2HKO on the former, and allows for Ursaring to always 4HKO the latter. The last moveslot is reserved for a utility move, depending on the scenario. Protect can be used to allow Ursaring to guarantee a desirable status the activation of its status orb, allowing it to outspeed many Pokemon in the tier that are not holding a Choice Scarfed. However, Protect is obsolete redundant if Ursaring has any form of slow U-turn or Volt Switch support, as both of those guarantee that Ursaring gets the boost gets statused,(RC) which is the main purpose of Protect on this set. If Ursaring has any form of slow momentum support In this case, Swords Dance is much more beneficial to run, as it allows Ursaring to take double its already high Attack stat and double it. It also punishes Pokemon that attempt to stall out Ursaring with partner Pokemon that cover each others' weaknesses, freely getting allowing Ursaring to get up to +2 Attack. Supposing Ursaring does get to +2, it is still susceptible to priority, though, as it gets whittled down through the process of setting up. Alternatively, in place of the two utility moves,(RC) either Seed Bomb or Earthquake could be run in the last slot. The former deals with Pokemon such as Rhydon and Seismitoad as it always gets the 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage. Earthquake can help deal with Garbodor, letting Ursaring avoid the Rocky Helmet and Aftermath damage at the expense of not always getting an OHKO.

Set Details
========
A maximum 252 EVs in Attack allows for Ursaring to tear through certain defensive Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Ferroseed easier, making it a force to be reckoned with. The other main 252 EVs are placed into Speed alongside a Jolly nature, allowing Urasring Ursaring to outspeed base 106 Speed Pokemon such as Pyroar and Mismagius after the Quick Feet boost, and proceed to OHKO them with Facade and Crunch, respectively.

Usage Tips
========
The best way to ensure that Ursaring gets the Quick Feet boost without having to run Protect is to pivot it in on a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, ensuring that it gets in safely without having to take prior damage. The first priority of Ursaring is to whittle down opposing Pokemon, seeing as it cannot stay in for prolonged amounts of time due to the status ailment it requires to function. On Pokemon that attempt to stall Ursaring out with Protect, getting up a Swords Dance is a surefire way to ensure that Ursaring blasts through such Pokemon. Ursaring also needs to be cautious in certain scenarios that could cost it valuable health, such as in the instance of Ghost- and Steel-types. Trying to hit such Pokemon with a move that is not very effective can cost Ursaring precious time, so take consideration in what move to use based on the team matchup.

Team Options
========
Ursaring gets whittled down quickly due to Toxic damage as well as getting attacked by opposing Pokemon, so having a Wish passer is greatly beneficial to Ursaring's performance. On more balanced teams, Audino is a decent fit for this, though it shares a similar weakness to Fighting-type attacks that Ursaring does as well as and costing costs momentum in certain instances. On more offensive based teams, Slurpuff and Flareon are better at Wish passing, as they can also keep up offensive pressure. Slurpuff excels especially well on this one, being able to threaten Fighting-type Pokemon that pester Ursaring. Ursaring also lacks a certain destructive power without Guts, so it requires entry hazard support to score certain essential OHKOes. A prime example of this is against Rotom-S, as Ursaring has less than a 50% chance to OHKO it (with what?) from full without prior damage, whereas Ursaring's Facade always OHKOes Rotom-S after Stealth Rock damage. The Pokemon best suited for this role would be Seismitoad, as it can survive take Fighting-type attacks moderately easy relatively easily while still getting up Stealth Rock. Seismitoad can also attempt to burn physical attackers with Scald, thoroughly neutering them for Ursaring. To get Ursaring in safely and ensure a Quick Feet boost, having slow U-turn or Volt Switch support is almost required. Lanturn and Pelipper both work here, with the former being able to remove hazards that whittle Ursaring down easily, and the latter having some offensive pressure and the ability to burn physical attackers for Ursaring (??? i don't see how pelipper has offensive pressure when its only set is the defensive defog one, and both have access to scald as well ???). Other Pokemon that work would be Togetic and Musharna, which can both Baton Pass to Ursaring safely while not being threatened at all by Fighting-type attacks. Alternatively, Probopass can be used to wall faster threats in the tier, though it shares a crippling weakness to Fighting-type attacks with Ursaring.

Other Options
########
Ursaring can run a Choice Band set to utilize its monstrous Attack stat, though it does not guarantee that Ursaring gets statused, which is one of the key reasons to use Ursaring. Alternatively, Ursaring can run a Guts set in place of Quick Feet, though it is outclassed by Zangoose as Ursaring has no access to priority and is relatively slow. However, a Guts set can easily be used as a bluff to surprise opponents expecting to survive a Quick Feet attack. In that regard, Ursaring should only run a Toxic Orb on this set, as a Flame Orb would make it clear to the opponent that the Ursaring is Guts instead of Quick Feet. Finally, Ursaring can run Taunt to prevent set up sweepers from setting up, utilizing the immense Speed it possesses after a Quick Feet boost.

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Steel-types**: Steelix is a Pokemon that can easily switch into a Close Combat from Ursaring, shrug it off,(RC) and retaliate for heavy damage after the defense drops. Ferroseed can also switch into an Ursaring,(RC) as long as it doesn't use anything but Close Combat on the first turn,(RC) and proceed to whittle it down with Leech Seed. Ursaring also faces the issue of taking Iron Barbs damage from Ferroseed, which wears it down immensely.

**Fast Fighting-types**: Pokemon such as Sawk or and Primeape that outspeed Ursaring are typically able to OHKO it with any STAB move, as Ursaring has only moderately decent Defenses,(RC) not being willing to take one of the previously mentioned Pokemon's STAB attacks.

**Priority Attacks**: Ursaring doesn't boast the greatest defenses, and has a hard time recovering any HP due to the status it has to inflict on itself in order to work. This means that most STAB priority moves such as Gurdurr's Mach Punch can remove Ursaring once it has been whittled down a decent chunk,(RC) such as Gurdurr's Mach Punch.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

slayerx725232

lol horyzhnz I accidentally switched up the order on Pelipper and Lanturn. Anyways, implemented the check and this baby is ready for its final checkarooni. Gonna tag based user: fleurdyleurse because what is an analysis without her expert help?

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
gping

Overview
########
Ursaring is a very strong Pokemon with a gargantuan Attack stat and as well as a respectable movepool, meaning it can deliver very powerful blows to most Pokemon in the tier. It also has a nifty ability in Quick Feet, mitigating its subpar Speed. However, this reliance on having a status effect to utilize Quick Feet undermines Ursaring's decent bulk.

Quick Feet
########

Moves
========
Facade is the primary STAB attack,[comma] having getting twice as much Base Power from being statused. It allows Ursaring to utterly decimate any Pokemon that does not resist or is immune to it. As a result, Ursaring subsequently must run Crunch, allowing it to deal with Ghost-type Pokemon such as Mismagius and Rotom. These previous two moves still leave Ursaring partially walled by Steel-type Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Steelix, so Close Combat is used as it almost guarantees a 2HKO on the former, and allows for Ursaring to always 4HKO the latter. The last moveslot is reserved for a utility move, depending on the scenario. Protect can be used to allow Ursaring to guarantee the activation of its status orb, allowing it to outspeed many Pokemon in the tier that are not holding a Choice Scarf. However, Protect is redundant if Ursaring has any form of slow U-turn or Volt Switch support, as both of those guarantee that Ursaring gets statused. In this case, Swords Dance is much more beneficial to run, as it allows Ursaring to double its already high Attack stat. It also punishes Pokemon that attempt to stall out Ursaring, allowing Ursaring to get up to +2 Attack. Alternatively, either Seed Bomb or Earthquake could be run in the last slot. The former deals with Pokemon such as Rhydon and Seismitoad,[comma], always 2HKOing them after Stealth Rock damage. as it always gets the 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage. Earthquake can help deal with Garbodor, letting Ursaring avoid the Rocky Helmet and Aftermath damage at the expense of not always getting an OHKO.

Set Details
========
252 EVs in Attack allows Ursaring to tear through certain defensive Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Ferroseed easier, making it a force to be reckoned with. 252 EVs are placed in Speed alongside a Jolly nature, allowing Ursaring to outspeed base 106 Speed Pokemon such as Pyroar and Mismagius after the Quick Feet boost, and proceed to OHKO them with Facade and Crunch, respectively.

Usage Tips
========
The best way to ensure that Ursaring gets the Quick Feet boost without having to run Protect is to pivot it in on a slow U-turn or Volt Switch, ensuring that it gets in safely without having to take prior damage. The first priority of Ursaring is to whittle down opposing Pokemon, seeing as it cannot stay in for prolonged amounts of time due to the status ailment it requires to function. On Pokemon that attempt to stall Ursaring out with Protect, getting up a Swords Dance is a surefire way to ensure that Ursaring blasts through such Pokemon. Ursaring also needs to be cautious in certain scenarios that could cost it valuable health, such as in the instance of Ghost- and Steel-types. Trying to hit such Pokemon with a move that is not very effective can cost Ursaring precious time, so take into consideration in what move to use based on the team matchup.

Team Options
========
Ursaring gets whittled down quickly due to Toxic damage and potential hazards (being attacked isn't really whittling IMO) as well as getting attacked by opposing Pokemon, so having a Wish passer is greatly beneficial to Ursaring's performance. On more balanced teams, Audino is a decent fit for this, though it shares a weakness to Fighting-type attacks and costs momentum in certain instances. On more offensive teams, Slurpuff and Flareon are better at Wish passing, as they can also keep up offensive pressure. Slurpuff excels especially well on this one, being able to threaten Fighting-type Pokemon that pester Ursaring. Ursaring also lacks power without Guts, so it requires entry hazard support to score certain essential OHKOs. A prime example of this is against Rotom-S, as Ursaring has less than a 50% chance to OHKO it from full with Facade without prior damage, whereas Ursaring's Facade always OHKOes Rotom-S after Stealth Rock damage. The Pokemon best suited for this role would be Seismitoad, as it can take Fighting-type attacks relatively easy while still getting up Stealth Rock. Seismitoad can also attempt to burn physical attackers with Scald, thoroughly neutering them for Ursaring. To get Ursaring in safely and ensure a Quick Feet boost, having slow U-turn or Volt Switch support is almost required. Pelipper and Lanturn both work here, with the former being able to remove hazards that whittle Ursaring down as well as potentially burn physical attackers, and the latter having some offensive pressure and the ability to burn physical attackers for Ursaring. Other Pokemon that work would be Togetic and Musharna, which can both Baton Pass to Ursaring safely while not being and not be threatened at all by Fighting-type attacks. Alternatively, Probopass can be used to wall faster threats in the tier, though it shares a crippling weakness to Fighting-type attacks with Ursaring.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########
**Bulky Steel-types**: Steelix can easily switch into a Close Combat from Ursaring, and retaliate for heavy damage after the defense drops. Ferroseed can also switch into anything but Close Combat and proceed to whittle it down with Leech Seed. Ursaring also faces the issue of taking Iron Barbs damage from Ferroseed, which further wears it down.

**Fast Fighting-types**: Pokemon such as Sawk and Primeape that outspeed Ursaring are typically able to OHKO it with any STAB move, as Ursaring has only moderately decent Defenses.

**Priority Attacks**: Ursaring doesn't boast the greatest defenses, and has a hard time recovering any HP due to the status it has to inflict on itself in order to work. This means that most STAB priority moves such as Gurdurr's Mach Punch can remove Ursaring once it has been whittled down a decent chunk.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)