US Last Chance Qualifier - Indianapolis, IN - June 25th, 2010 - WON BY GODUDETTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan is Dubulous, he lost in round 4 to the same guy I lost to (who was using zerowing's team). That guy ended up making top 16 at least, but it was disheartening seeing some guy (from a suburb near where I live, amusingly) with electivire/zapdos lead make it to the finalists lounge =/
electivire zapdos lead? my team would have murdered that... that is disappointing.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
omg i should have called a hack check on synre he used top ogre and i'm pretty sure he got it from huy so 512 EVs??? yeah he cheated so much

I'm dying to hear from them ._.

EDIT: OmegaDonut, PBB, godudette and skarm are all qualified for Nats. Congrats ^^ Btw...i want to know who won ._.

tada!

ya me skarm godudette and omegadonut qualified in the lcq. so did metabou and tr_jessie (absol ftw!) should be pretty fun tomorrow.

time to unleash the most powerful pokemon in the game on everybody jajajajaja

they didn't go till a winner, it was just whoever got top 16. they had around 20 people get to the finalists lounge, then mike does the handing out of cards. if you got the psychic card, you got into the top 16. if you got the electric card, you had to play the other recipients of the other electric cards until there were 16 people left total. almost identical to the regionals method of giving out byes.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
no one won, they stopped at top 16. also strong absol. hope drcossack enjoys his new membership with tgi fridays lololololololol

You were there, PBB? Why didn't I see you? lol

It was awesome today. Absol is super strong with super luck. Loved that match you had tr_jessie where you got 3 crits and KO'd two of your opponents Pokemon with two of those crits. I lost to that guy sadly because he got a crit with his blizzard from scarf kyogre.

Anyway yeah hopefully tomorrow is as eventful as it is today. I'm in my hotel and can't contact anyone since i don't have anyone's number lol

If anyone was wondering, here was my team and my battles:

Leads:
Groudon @ Lum Berry
Jolly
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw (was deciding between this and Shadow Claw, never really needed either)

Lugia @ Leftovers
Calm
212 HP, 212 Spd (enough to outspeed Groudon by 1 point), 84 Sp Def
- Protect
- Aeroblast
- Icy Wind
- Swagger

Other dudes:
Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Brave (0 Speed IV)
212 Atk (I think), some combination of HP and Sp Def that I don't remember atm
- Protect
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Adamant
255 Attack, 255 Speed
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak
- Sunny Day

My basic strategy was to protect with Groudon turn 1 and use Icy Wind to make my opponent's slower than me. Then I would use Swagger on Groudon and start raping with EQ/RS. I was prepared to face many kinds of teams and adjust accordingly, but it turns out that I mispredicted the ScarfOgre matchup. I also had these two guys that I never used:

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
Modest (WHY DO PEOPLE USE TIMID, THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING YOU OUTSPEED WITH TIMID THAT YOU DON'T WITH MODEST EXCEPT FOR WEAVILE, WHO CANNOT OHKO YOU)
252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Grass Knot
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Blizzard

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash (I would obviously never use Aboma and Shed at the same time. I used a Chesto Berry as my 6th item)
Quiet (0 Speed IV)
252 Sp Atk, 252 HP, 4 Sp Def
- Blizzard
- Grass Knot
- Protect
- Ice Shard

My battles were as follows:

Round 1 (vs some youngish kid who sees my duck shirt and declares that he is going to lose):

Opponent sent out Cresselia and Groudon (shiny)!

Knowing I was going to be faster, I just went ahead and Swagger'd turn 1. I thought he would protect with Groudon turn 1, so I chose Rock Slide.

Lugia used Swagger (attack raise, Lum cures)!
Groudon used Rock Slide!
Foe Groudon used Rock Polish (!!!)
Foe Cresselia Flinched! (neither of his dudes got hurt particularly badly from RS, Cress took maybe 20% or so)

So now I want to kill Groudon ASAP, so I Icy Wind and EQ.

Foe switched Groudon for Metagross!
Lugia used Icy Wind (missed Meta, hit cress for minimal damage)!
Groudon used Earthquake (OHKO on Meta)!
Foe Cresselia used Light Screen!
Opponent sent out Groudon!

I decide to go for the Icy Wind/EQ again, knowing I have a pretty solid lead here and Cress isn't going to do much to me.

Foe Cresselia used Helping Hand!
Lugia used Icy Wind (not too much damage to either pokemon due to LS)!
Groudon (mine) used Earthquake (kills his Groudon)!
Opponent sent out Lugia!

I know I have the match at this point, so I just use Icy Wind and Rock Slide.

Foe Cresselia used Protect!
Lugia (mine) used Icy Wind!
Groudon used Rock Slide! (his Lugia is at half health now)
Foe Lugia used Calm Mind!

Lugia used Icy Wind!
Groudon used Rock Slide! (Lugia dies, Cress is at a little less than half now I think)
Cresselia used some non-damaging move!

Lugia used Aeroblast!
Groudon used Dragon Claw!

So yeah, I won my first round without taking a single point of damage, which felt really good. It gave me some confidence going into...

Round 2 (vs some old dude named Danny who ended up making top 16):

Opponent sent out Kyogre and Hitmontop! (Scarfogre, so it is sunny)

Heh, I have a plan here. I think I have a solid chance here, but that will quickly change. I move along according to plan:

Lugia used Protect!
Groudon used Protect!
Kyogre used Water Spout!
Hitmontop used Fake Out! (targeting Groudon)

OK, all good. Now I switch to Shedinja and Aeroblast top, while he Water Spouts and uses Mach or Sucker Punch on Groudon... right? Why wouldn't he keep the pressure on me?

Opponent switches Kyogre for Abomasnow!
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Groudon switches for Shedinja!
Hitmontop used Sucker Punch, but it failed! (targeting Groudon)
Lugia used Aeroblast! (~75% damage)
Everything is hurt by Hail!
I sent out Metagross!

So now I am mad at myself for losing Shed so easily. My plan was to use Sunny Day on turn 3 to protect myself from the incoming Abomasnow (because I knew my opponent was playing an exact clone of Paul's team), while his Sucker Punch failed. However, my opponent must have seen something I didn't and decided to completely catch me off guard. Nevertheless, I still have a chance here... until I blow it. I convince myself that my opponent only switched out so that he could switch Kyogre back in and get control of the weather again. Thus, I figured he would switch one of his guys back to Kyogre, whom I had no definite answer for with Shedinja gone. I decided that I must explode with Meta this turn. It turns out that my opponent didn't know his types or something, because the turn went like this:

Lugia used Protect!
Hitmontop used Mach Punch! LUGIA PROTECTED ITSELF (seriously I am going to lose to this guy?!?!?! ugggghhh)
Metagross used Explosion! (Aboma's Sash activates)
Abomasnow used FUCKING GRASS KNOT! (who was he going to target with this, seriously?)
I sent out Groudon!
Opponent sent out Palkia!

At this point I have very little hope. I need to hit Kyogre with Icy Wind and then Swagger Groudon on the next turn and smash it with EQ. I play accordingly:

Lugia used Icy Wind! (misses Palkia annoyingly, kills Abomasnow)
Palkia used Spacial Rend! (hits Lugia for ~25%)
Groudon used Earthquake! (hits Palkia for 50%)
Opponent sent out Kyogre!

So yeah, I am pretty much dead. I need to somehow get Icy Wind off while Protecting and then Swagger Groudon up and win. The final dagger came in the form of:

Groudon used Protect!
Foe Kyogre used Water Spout! It's a critical hit! (Lugia dies obviously)
Palkia used whatever!

I lost and was feeling terrible at this point =[ It didn't really help that a lot of the other Smogonites/Ducks lost early as well. It was refreshing to see the two Mikes, Skarm and OmegaDonut, as well as Andrea (godudette) make it through to the top 16. I was actually a bit annoyed that PBB got into the top 16 after the reentering the line incident (I'm sorry if that sounds petty, but that just bothers me so greatly). But I am having a great time regardless, hanging out with everyone is awesome and I am looking forward to cheering on Smogon to victory tomorrow and Sunday!

(deleted quote)

Electivire/Zapdos isn't an absolutely AWFUL strategy, but it's incredibly predictable and fairly easy to counter (and also gets stomped by TopOgre, as we witnessed when he got slaughtered by Danny). Congrats on getting as far as you did, you did better than me and a number of other Smogonites! You could argue that your opponents were worse, which is certainly possible, but meh, I definitely made mistakes and could have played better than I did. By the way, imperfectluck is a young asian male. He was wandering around during the matches today, but didn't really hang out with us too much, so you may not have seen him.

Lost in the first round due to a freeze on my Giratina. -_-
Really nice to meet all of you! I'll be back tomorrow to watch Nats.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My last game was ridiculously close. I was at a disadvantage the entire time but I managed to get Trick Room off which really kept me in it. It ended up coming down to a few random damage rolls (I think?) not going my way, which resulted in Trick Room ending just one turn too early. Danny (a TCG dad) was running TopOgre and didn't make any mistakes in the game unfortunately.

My team:
Hariyama@Toxic Orb
Fake Out
Ice Punch
Low Kick
Bullet Punch
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Palkia@Haban Berry
Trick Room
Protect
Spacial Rend
Thunder
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Kyogre@Wacan Berry
Water Spout
Thunder
Blizzard
HP Flying
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Abomasnow@Sitrus Berry
Blizzard
Ice Shard
Grass Knot
Protect
208 HP / 44 Atk / 252 SpA

Pretty basic strategy and it worked like a dream for me the first three rounds. I could go through each match (I remember them decently well) but it was basically I got Trick Room off and they couldn't handle the sheer offensive power of my team. I did beat a father/daughter combo in Round 1/2 which made me feel kind of bad though :/.

I did better than I expected though and overall I am pleased with the day, I suppose. It's a little disheartening to know that I could have been playing tomorrow had I done a few things just a little bit better. I'll definitely be playing in these again next year if it is at all possible, they are a blast.

That crit abuse Absol sounds vaguely similar to my crit abuse Honchkrow... Lol. I'm curious as to why use Absol over Honchkrow though. Honchkrow can survive a rock slide from groudon, can evade EQ, can ohko infernape, toxicroak, and hitmontop with brave bird, doesn't get destroyed by fighting attacks (top mach punch), and is bulkier than Absol. The only thing against Honchkrow is his weakness to ice. Anyway, I'm very glad someone else saw the use in crit abuse. Good luck to everyone tomorrow! =]

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
Modest (WHY DO PEOPLE USE TIMID, THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING YOU OUTSPEED WITH TIMID THAT YOU DON'T WITH MODEST EXCEPT FOR WEAVILE, WHO CANNOT OHKO YOU)
Except for other Mewtwo? Did you forget about that?

There are also several scarfers (especially Abomasnow, who outspeeds Modest Mewtwo by one point even) that you outspeed with Timid and not Modest. ScarfTar? Lol, maybe not that, but Aboma is often scarfed to fire off Blizzard without dying.

Jolly Life Orb Weaville does have a chance to OHKO, and that's guaranteed with Fake Out. Or enough residual damage (hail is common).

+speed Azelf also outspeeds Modest Mewtwo, and I don't think most teams would enjoy being forced to eat that Explosion if Mewtwo can't take it down first.

Exactly what OHKO's does Modest Mewtwo get that Timid doesn't? Speed is always more important than power if it still does the same job, and I don't think it's missing on anything important.

What was chaos's "ridiculous" team?

Victreebel [BananaVine]@ Scope Lens
Jolly
252Atk/252Speed
-Razor Leaf
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- SUCKA PUNCH

Hypno [SaiyanLord]@ Wide Lens
2Attack/252Hp/252 Spatk/4Spdef
Modest
- Hypnosis
- Nightmare
- Dream Eater
- Hyper Beam

Cloyster [toshquanda]@ Focus Sash
Skill Link
Adamant, 252Atk/252 Speed
- Explosion
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Poison Jab

Ho-Oh [BARKERS]@ Stick
Jolly 252Speed/252Attack
- Fly
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Roost

Wooper [WOOOOOOPA]@ Life Orb
Stuff

Koffing [smogon]@ Sitrus Berry
-Smog

All of them had amusing nicknames as well.

Victreebel @ Scope Lens
Unknown evs
I don't know the natures
-Razor Leaf
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- I forgot, it wasn't protect though

Hypno @ Nothing?
???
???
- Hypnosis
- Nightmare
- Dream Eater
- Hyper Beam

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
???
???
- Explosion
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Poison Jab

Ho-Oh @ something
???
???
- Fly
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Roost

Wooper @ nothing
Stuff

Koffing @ nothing
Stuff

All of them had amusing nicknames as well.
LOL! That is like the ultimate n00b Hypno! Ho-oh doesn't really fit in with the other NUs/UUs! I'm not surprised that he used a Koffing. His win must have been a very amusing game to watch. Props to him for having some fun with this team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)