US Regional Qualifier - Dallas, TX, May 29, 2010 - WON BY JGILES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaaa i knew i was in trouble when the guy i faced had his national shirt on lol.. Then i really suprised myself and almost beat him !! But seeing as to it was yours and my first time i think we should be pretty proud !! maybe next year ill get to meet you up there !

Yeah. I think I talked to the guy that beat you. Well I at least talked to a guy with a nats shirt. He is a smogoner, but his name escapes me. You must have lost right when I did, because I watched him enter the finalists lounge after I was walking away from loosing.

79-75220-42324 is the Battle Video number for the final match for Dallas, for anyone interested.
Totally an awesome battle, loved watching it in person. You switched out so many times lol. At least one switch every turn almost, though you got a 4-0 win so it worked. Congrats!

Regarding the final match that I lost … completely my fault, completely my mistake. Though your comment makes it sound like I was pwnd in some way … to set the record – it was my Hippo and Ttar against his 1/2 life Top. I could have EQ’d and RS’d and no matter which he hit with mach punch he was going to die. I had it won, and I clicked the wrong move using crunch instead of a follow-up EQ) – like a wideout turning to run without holding the ball. I blew it. Of course had I not, you would be sitting here talking about the ridiculous lucky jerk who somehow – through miracles and deals with the devil managed to make it to the top 4. This is nothing against the guy who beat me. I want to take nothing from his victory – I screwed up, but he played well and was calm and cool even when he thought I had it locked. His composure won the match and I enjoyed the battle.
Yea that's what I thought while watching your battle. My friend and I were saying "oh man, he's got this won" but then Crunch came instead of EQ and our mouths dropped lol. It's really unfortunate but those mistakes do happen. In 3 of my battles, I accidentally used Fake Out instead of some other attack. I finally started paying more attention in the 4th round...only to lose :/
ANYWAY, you did good :D

There was waay too much protecting going on from the Groudon team. Protect is a good move, but if you use it almost every turn, they just get to attack you.

There was waay too much protecting going on from the Groudon team. Protect is a good move, but if you use it almost every turn, they just get to attack you.
The only thing in my team that could take Kyogre on was Tangrowth in the sun (I plan to remedy this by Nationals). I played too conservatively and missed my chance on the first turn, expecting a Fake Out. Then he just stayed one step ahead of me for the rest of the match.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dances, you're the guy who got second, right? You beat me in the top 16 match. Do you remember? I lead with Weavile-Palkia.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I should've double-targeted Tangrowth turn one, but I forgot it had sleep powder. I don't know if I would've won even if I had done that, though. But I was the kid with the red backpack, the second youngest in the finalists lounge.

I won Junior 1st place at the Dallas VGC. I coan't believe I talked to and had a picture with Marriland! That was an awesome experience. I advise anyone who wants to go to a VGC, go. It's an awesome experience. You never knoiw when you're going to win big.

I made Top 8 with a Trick Room team... Actually, I was the guy that held up the finals for a bit after that battle with the stalling Blissey.

79-75220-42324 is the Battle Video number for the final match for Dallas, for anyone interested.
Totally owned. Good example of controling the weather.

The stupid mistake at the start if he had Power whip on Tangrowth and it was faster than Kyorge thanks to the sun, but he got scared of the Fake Out for no reason.

Oh, that guy! I remember you battling a Dialga. Anyone who waw a freakin awesome Shuckle and Zapdos whippin butt in Trick Room, that was me.

Totally owned. Good example of controling the weather.

The stupid mistake at the start if he had Power whip on Tangrowth and it was faster than Kyorge thanks to the sun, but he got scared of the Fake Out for no reason.
Yeah, except for the whole Blizzard xx Tangrowth's awful special defense xx Get Raped combo being a pretty legitimate reason to fear the Fake Out.

Someone decides to spill the guts on his team, that beat the majority of teams presented despite being Rock/Ground/SS based, and everyone goes crazy saying he's a noob and doesn't know what he is doing.

I greatly appreciate hearing these stories of how the tournament goes, but if you are beat or beat someone with a "noob team" that should not have made it as far as it did and talk about how crappy it was, that's not exactly good sportsmanship.

To make it to top 8, he had to beat likely 10 other people, and in the mix there HAD to be TONS of people packing the same team, since it swept most tourneys in Japan, and several here in the states. Since he built to counter that, he did well, and I don't think you should knock him for using a strategy that except played by him, probably wouldn't have made it past round 1.

Congratulations to jgiles and all the other Smogonites who participated! I really do find the Solrock/Hippo/T-tar/Regirock team very intriguing. The whole strategy where you Dig and explode with something slower (err... faster thanks to TR I guess :p), then next turn explode again with something faster before you resurface is interesting... I recall people discussing that back during JAA as a way to use the oh-so-broken Fly Rayquaza :p. Speaking of JAA, I remember someone winning a qualifier back then with a team that had a similar concept - anti-metagame with no ubers.

I'm curious as to the 510 EVs in Special Attack... what Pokémon was it? It really angers me that someone can pull something like that and eliminate good players with legit teams from the tournament before they're caught via the hack check. I never knew that they didn't do the hack check until round 4, but I suppose it makes sense; with 1280 potential competitors, there's no way they can examine each game cart individually.

I think his mewtwo had it in speed because mine was +speed nature and 252 evs in speed with 31 ivs in speed and it outsped twice, I assumed it won the speed tie twice and got lucky. I think the dialga had it in s atk as well, but I managed to ohko with low kick (after finally waking up) before it could do any real damage on anyone. Idk for sure, and we only think thats how he hacked, he could have just poke sav'd his team, or been over by a couple of ev's. And there were more that one hackers also, I beat one in round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)