US Regional Qualifier - San Francisco, CA - May 15th, 2010 WON BY BIANCA222

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Duy and everyone going to Nats!
What was the turnout like and what were popular pokemon/ teams that were seen?

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yes plz put up war stories an the common pokemon/team in san-fran. was abomasnow as popular in san fran as it was in seattle?

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hmmm my team is more than ready for those 3 but it keeps getting raped by mewtwo or a toxicroak on a raindance team. timid mewtwo outspeeds my everything unless he has really bad luck in speed IV's

mostly kyogre/palkia and abomasnow
Yeah, When observing at one time, I saw 8 kyogres on the screens and 3 hitmontops... then, like 2 abomasnows... it was crazy...

I went, lost to luck... I don't feel bad because I know that my strategy and planning was strong, you just can't predict when you miss or your opponent gets a flinch (with a razor claw, btw)...

It'll still haunt me, but I'm thinking of testing my team a bit more and possibly heading to the LCQ

I'm not sure how many of you know me; I've been more or less absent from the Pokemon community since JAA 2006, I never really got into fourth gen for a number of reasons. For those who might have seen me at the event, I was wearing khaki shorts and a maroon shirt with team number 42 on the back.

My classes ended last week, and six days ago, my friend Metabou told me that he was going to SF for a Pokemon tournament on Saturday. It sounded like a fun way to spend a Saturday, so I decided to tag along with Metabou and Deagle (both friends of mine who also happen to be brothers). With the help of Amazon's 2-day shipping, my sister's stylish pink DS, a loaner team kindly provided by Metabou, and around 20 practice battles on Netbattle, I was able to prep for the event and reach a level that was evidently somewhat competitive.

Metabou ended up getting knocked out in the third round (I think) by a series of unfortunate events, which included Fissure taking out half of his team, and an untimely missed Draco Meteor. I ended up playing the same guy next round. One of his leads was a Blissey that basically sat around doing nothing while I worked my way through the rest of his team. He was using Minimize and spamming Counter but I managed to take him out in a reasonable amount of time (in the end he only got one Softboiled off).

29 people made it to the lounge and I was one of the lucky three people who got a bye (and automatic seed to the top 16), though I did win my next match which made me feel better about cheesing my way to the top 16. However, I didn't make it past the top 8; I lost to a kid named Eric who was eliminated by the guy who lost to Duy in the final round.

The two semi-final matches were: Deagle vs Duy, Eric (guy who beat me) vs Guy who lost to Duy. Deagle vs Duy was the one shown on the screen.

Even though I got an invite, I won't be attending the nationals in Indianapolis both due to the cost involved and a number of academic responsibilities I have during that week. Had I made top 4, I probably would have found a way to attend, but not making top 4 made the decision to not attend a fairly easy one.

I didn't really get to meet up with a lot of Smogoners (it seems like there are a lot of new faces who I probably wouldn't know anyway), though I did speak briefly with Batpig (who also made the top 16). I did get to meet a lot of really cool people from outside the Smogon community and the four hours I spent waiting in line was one of the best parts of the day. Today I learned that the PokeWalker accessory can interface with other PokeWalkers for a mystery-gift type thing, and after a certain point, interfacing starts giving you watts instead of items. There were several people who walked up and down the entire line of 400+ people who racked up an insane number of watts.

By calculations, there were ~464 participants (the lounge was 29 people and there were 4 elimination rounds leading up to that point), which isn't that close to capacity (which I believe was over 700).

Based on what I had been told by Metabou and Deagle, I had expected to see a lot of Hitmontop/Kyogre copycat leads, but surprisingly I saw Hitmontop only once the entire tournament. I did see a lot of Kyogre, which started on the bench at least as often as it appeared as a lead. Palkia was also somewhat common, and seen as a lead more often than Kyogre. Most of the teams that I saw using Abomasnow also used Kyogre. I think the single most-common Pokemon I saw was Giratina. Giratina has has great typing and it's quite splashable as well, it seems to be the go-to slot filler for teams that have a vacant spot.

Great story and great information. Are you able to give your spot in Nats to your friend that did not make it or does he actually have to win? Anyway, good job, and thanks for all the stats you gave. They help when finalizing team designs.

Are you able to give your spot in Nats to your friend that did not make it or does he actually have to win?
To the best of my knowledge, the invites are non-transferable.

Duy was using Focus Sash Groudon, it was one of several factors that led to Deagle's loss in the semi-finals. I can't confirm Cresselia, Abomasnow, and Kyogre, but that does sound about right.

EDIT:

11:42 PM - Kuiper: Do you remember what Duy used?
11:42 PM - DeagleBeagle: yeah
11:42 PM - DeagleBeagle: cress lead groudon lead with sash groudon and helping hand icy wind cresselia
11:42 PM - DeagleBeagle: with abomasnow and kyogre in the back

Also, sorry if posting moveset details isn't cool but I figured that since several people were recording videos are probably going to go up on Youtube anyway it doesn't really matter; if it's an issue I will remove details from this post.

I will confirm Cresselia, Abomasnow and Groudon. He totally swept the last guy before he won =) Awesome team. I dunno if he had a Kygore though, I never got a chance to see it.

Dude, Duy sweeping the competition, that's awesome. Great job, and I'll see you in Indianapolis.

So yeah, basically, I would have won the match that I lost until the last turn showed up:

-------

"I used Meteor Mash! His Machamp is in mid yellow!"

"His Life Orb Machamp used DynamicPunch against my full HP Metagross!

"It's a critical hit! Metagross fainted!"

-----

Well, there's really nothing viable I could have done to prevent that critical hit, so I'll just have to try again either in both Phoenix and Indianapolis or just Indy at the LCQ.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, there's really nothing I could have done, so I'll just have to try again in San Fransisco, fail again, then try at Phoenix or Indianapolis.
Is that more accurate?

I'd highly recommend nobody try the shit you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)