Data Usage-Based Tier Update for January 2018 (Feb @ #263) (Mar @ #696)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Smeargle moved from RU to NU"

And our favorite, misunderstood artist continues his plunge towards the ally of art rejects that is PU. The poor painter just hasn't found as much success in conventional play ever since Baton Pass went of style. The Sticky Web industry boom at the start of this gen gave him a brief stint in the limelight, but not only was Shuckle always showing him at work, but the market crashed as soon as Mega Diancie became a player. And even today as Sticky Web tries to carve a place for itself in the harsh, artistry economy that is USUM, new competitors like Araquanid constantly crowd him out of job openings along with his old rival Shuckle.

In the past this wouldn't be such a big worry for Smeagle, as the ambitious artist could always get by in the land of VGC where his access to Dark Void as a non-Mythical Pokemon allowed him to be an invaluable player in the sector. But in this day in age, he can't even fall back on that market anymore, as the GameFreak association unanimously decided to ban Dark Void from the market.

Fortunately, our friend Smeargle predicted the market would continue to turn sour for him after he made his first plunge from OU to UU and has since moved to the zany country of Anything Goes. In its hyper capitalistic world with few Smogon clauses restricting his skills, Smeargle finds his artistic talents far more successful and continues to thrive happily:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-690387766

But seriously though. When's Smeargle getting an AG analysis? It's pretty much the only major tier that Smeargle can still be a monster in aside from a few the more gimmicky metagames.

At least it has the bulk and recovery for that, and it can actually threaten things out. Literally Blastoise's only niche is having Refresh to shake off Toxic.
It’s quite a bit frailer than it looks. And Synthesis doesn’t help when it is liable to keep spamming Synthesis or get KO’d the following then.

No, Dhelmise is a lot worse as it has a lot of difficulty actually doing something.

It’s quite a bit frailer than it looks. And Synthesis doesn’t help when it is liable to keep spamming Synthesis or get KO’d the following then.

No, Dhelmise is a lot worse as it has a lot of difficulty actually doing something.
Blastoise's bulk isn't a lot better and it's passive as fuck. Dhelmise at least has that nice 131 Attack stat and triple STAB to actually damage foes, and it is kinda useful on the occasional Trick Room teams. Using Blastoise would just be for the sake of using it, as Scald is not enough of a niche to use it over even the extremely unviable Claydol (yes, I said it. Blastoise is outclassed by Claydol.)

But let's stop this discussion, as with Mega Blastoise around people will likely only use that as a spinner.

Checking back on the stats usage, it appears Smeargle fell through the cracks. In the June tier shifts it simultaneously received enough usage in OU to rise to that tier, while also having sufficiently low usage in RU to be placed in the initial NU beta. Due to its rise to OU it was never actually usable in NU. When Smeargle usage dropped off in September it was overlooked and it fell to UU rather than to NU as it should have. It failed to drop in October, as it had just enough usage in UU to avoid quick-dropping, but it did quick-drop to RU in November. December stats were skipped, and of course in January it reached NU.

It really should have gone directly to NU in September, but it's too late now to fix that. It couldn't have been placed lower than NU by precedent since it has no historical usage in that tier in gen 7, so we'll have to wait for its usage stats to come in to see if it drops by the normal means.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I know this is going to seem kinda sudden, weird and out of place, but I honestly need to get this off my chest.

60 | Type: Null | 2.634% |
Type: Null usage currently in NU.
If you follow the NU meta, you know that Type: Null has been rising in popularity in the tier, having recently been promoted to A+ on the NU Viability Rankings, the same level as mons like Xatu and Klinklang. Silvally-Steel, the only Silvally form which managed to rise to NU this month, is currently around B level on the viability rankings. At the rate it's going, it won't be long until Null rises to NU itself.

Anyone else find it saddening and pathetic that Silvally is so terrible that it has been usurped by an entire tier by its non-type changing, less versatile, much slower pre-evolution? Normally, this wouldn't be a huge issue, Gen 7 gave us a fair share of bad mons like Shiinotic and Crabominable, and there have been instances like Chansey where Eviolite caused the pre-evolution to outclass the evolution. But... ...This is Silvally. Wasn't this supposed to be some kind of god-like, mini-Arceus type Pokemon? Didn't its in-game lore make it out to be some kind of marvel of genetic engineering? How could Game Freak fuck up THIS horribly?!

Silvally is the Pokemon equivalent to Sword Art Online: A genius concept with execution so horrendously botched it makes people sad and angry. Or, in this case, it makes me sad and angry. Does nobody else look at 17/18 Silvally forms rotting in PU and gloomily fantasize about what could've been?

I know this is going to seem kinda sudden, weird and out of place, but I honestly need to get this off my chest.

60 | Type: Null | 2.634% |
Type: Null usage currently in NU.
If you follow the NU meta, you know that Type: Null has been rising in popularity in the tier, having recently been promoted to A+ on the NU Viability Rankings, the same level as mons like Xatu and Klinklang. Silvally-Steel, the only Silvally form which managed to rise to NU this month, is currently around B level on the viability rankings. At the rate it's going, it won't be long until Null rises to NU itself.

Anyone else find it saddening and pathetic that Silvally is so terrible that it has been usurped by an entire tier by its non-type changing, less versatile, much slower pre-evolution? Normally, this wouldn't be a huge issue, Gen 7 gave us a fair share of bad mons like Shiinotic and Crabominable, and there have been instances like Chansey where Eviolite caused the pre-evolution to outclass the evolution. But... ...This is Silvally. Wasn't this supposed to be some kind of god-like, mini-Arceus type Pokemon? Didn't its in-game lore make it out to be some kind of marvel of genetic engineering? How could Game Freak fuck up THIS horribly?!

Silvally is the Pokemon equivalent to Sword Art Online: A genius concept with execution so horrendously botched it makes people sad and angry. Or, in this case, it makes me sad and angry. Does nobody else look at 17/18 Silvally forms rotting in PU and gloomily fantasize about what could've been?
Type: Null is mainly used for its defensive capabilities. Offensively Silvally is better as it has the moves to do so. It lacks what makes Arceus great, Extreme Speed and Recover

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
as a silvally user i can assure u that the forms in nu are not used for their offensive calabilities, can u please stop talking out of ur ass as it is clear u dont know shit about the meta
At any rate, I'm not going to be sweeping with steel Silvally anytime soon, but it seems like he just said that Silvally is (overall) better than Null offensively. As much as I love fat helmet doggo...

But... ...This is Silvally. Wasn't this supposed to be some kind of god-like, mini-Arceus type Pokemon? Didn't its in-game lore make it out to be some kind of marvel of genetic engineering? How could Game Freak fuck up THIS horribly?!

Plenty of legendary and mythical Pokemon have been useless before. At least Silvally is viable in PU. I guess maybe whatever game designers were behind this have never heard of the concept of "movepool" before.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Plenty of legendary and mythical Pokemon have been useless before. At least Silvally is viable in PU. I guess maybe whatever game designers were behind this have never heard of the concept of "movepool" before.
At least Defog is pretty cool, it was rlly bad before that

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Plenty of legendary and mythical Pokemon have been useless before. At least Silvally is viable in PU.
Barely. As of this writing, the only really usable Silvally forms are Fairy, Water and Ghost (Steel was picking up in usage, but that moved up to NU before it could receive a proper raise). Not one of them is ranked above B. Everything else is either ranked too low and is too niche to be worth considering most of the time, or isn't ranked period.

Silvally is such a fuckin tragedy, man. Sure, we've had bad legends in the past, but never so awful to where they started out in PU day 1. The only legend I can think of that maybe fits in that category is Regigigas. God damnit, if only Silvally had Recover and some base stats high enough to actually do anything...

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Barely. As of this writing, the only really usable Silvally forms are Fairy, Water and Ghost. Not one of them is ranked above B. Everything else is either ranked too low and is too niche to be worth considering most of the time, or isn't ranked period.

Silvally is such a fuckin tragedy, man. Sure, we've had bad legends in the past, but never so awful to where they started out in PU day 1. The only legend I can think of that maybe fits in that category is Regigigas. God damnit, if only Silvally had Recover and some base stats high enough to actually do anything...
Regigigas is infinitely worse than Silvally, also Regice sucks. At least Silv has a 570 BST and not 670

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Regigigas is infinitely worse than Silvally, also Regice sucks. At least Silv has a 570 BST and not 670
Regice used to be pretty good back in RSE OU. Yeah, those times are obviously long, long gone, but at least Regice had a little bit of time to shine before power creep took over. Silvally just debuted and is already starting off at the bottom of the tier list with most of its forms not even ranked. The Arceus clone's future looks grim, unless it gets some absurd Mantine-level buff (GF, please, just give it Recover and mythical stats and I'll be happy). God, what a mess...

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Regice used to be pretty good back in RSE OU. Yeah, those times are obviously long, long gone, but at least Regice had a little bit of time to shine before power creep took over. Silvally just debuted and is already starting off at the bottom of the tier list with most of its forms not even ranked. The Arceus clone's future looks grim, unless it gets some absurd Mantine-level buff (GF, please, just give it Recover and mythical stats and I'll be happy). God, what a mess...
Regice wasn't killed by power creep lol, it was good cuz Ice had only 1 special weakness in fire before the physical/special split. And you never defended Regigigas' reputation

They'll never give a legendary stat increases. 570 BST is the start of legendary Pokémon stats. It's the same as the Tapus and the UBs. 95 across the board isn't the worst thing we've seen. Phione has 80 across the board and that thing is really bad LOL

But... ...This is Silvally. Wasn't this supposed to be some kind of god-like, mini-Arceus type Pokemon? Didn't its in-game lore make it out to be some kind of marvel of genetic engineering? How could Game Freak fuck up THIS horribly?!
They really over-did it with the power-down. Going from 720 to 570 is already a steep drop, but they also lowered the BP of the signature move from 120 to 90, and its stat-changing item doesn't give it a damage boost like Arceus gets, and on top of all that they gutted its movepool. They nerfed it until it no longer had anything interesting to offer beyond a gimmick.

Silvally's even stat spread leaves it without any area of strength, and it must choose between having a moveslot and an ability slot. On paper it may have the same BST as the Tapus, but in practice it's not even in their league.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Well, y'know what? As horrifically disappointing as vanilla Silvally is, at least we got the badass Pet Mods community to save it and make it cool. From each form having it's own broken, UB-Cteaming mega in MFA, to some great ideas for Battle Ready which are being voted on currently.

The main devs may have screwed it up, but at least we can fix it ourselves.

Castform has already shown us that if humans try to create Pokémon themselves, they WILL fail horribly.

Unless some evil organization funds you (Mewtwo says hi).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)