1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Announcement Usage-based Tier Updates for March (Hello, RU!)

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Antar, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LorisMasta17

LorisMasta17

Is there any usage stats for RU Alpha?
  2. theDSC

theDSC

Haxorus moved from RU to UU

Good to have Komoo-o back. It's more or less the same thing but it's something.

With the usage now posted does this also means RU is in beta now i suppose?
    Gorechomp and Melons-N-Soda like this.
  3. Zekaius

Zekaius

So I definantly see where you are coming from and the logic makes sense, the only issue I have is all of the pokemon listed as examples EXCEPT protean greninja are allowed in at least one other meta game(OU), I just figured as these are starter pokemon and likely fan favorites of many it may be nice to give an option for them to be used in a meta game that isn't uber. Either way thank you for the response I can accept that answer!
  4. Gatorboy

Gatorboy

Nahh, I miss my phat phish dude. And no chance that it should've been banned. It wasn't over centralized like Mega Lix was, Mola was always top 10 most used in usage, but never above number 5 iirc.
  5. Dakress

Dakress

As long as Scolipass is a thing, Xurkitree will always be OU (it also happens te righr next to Scolipede usage wise). Rain teams are still around because of it's abusers (Swift Swim, Thunder Koko, Hurricane Dragonite/Volcarona, etc.)

So in theory, both Clef and Gengar need to be OU by usage again next month to rise?
    Melons-N-Soda likes this.
  6. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

LorisMasta17, Melons-N-Soda and Ark like this.
  7. MaahirMomtaz12

MaahirMomtaz12

Xurkitree is still used for the 2 Z-Move sets it has and Pelipper will definitely drop in April
  8. Grass Avenger

Grass Avenger

9. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

10. Martin

Martin Like the hole in a doughnut
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributor

I can't believe fucking Araquanid was used more than Amoonguss in DOU
  11. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Ultra Ball off of Abyssal Hand for Lele for Guzma for game
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Can you believe Araquanid is just as good as, if not arguably better than, Amoonguss in DOU? Because with Koko and Fini ruining Spore, and the likes of Tapu Lele and Mega Salamence around, Amoonguss is a lot less viable this gen as a bulky utility mon
  12. Punchshroom

Punchshroom Paralysis is slightly less of a devil
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

So I heard that newly introduced Megas start off in OU, even though I have heard rumors that Mega Mawile did indeed start off in RU (albeit briefly) and was quickbanned thusly. Can I get more information on this?
  13. Melons-N-Soda

Melons-N-Soda

The former is true, the latter definitely isn't. (Mega Mawile is not listed as Quickbanned anywhere in the SM RU forums, only Suicune is)
  14. Marrrrrrrrrr

Marrrrrrrrrr

I think that was only because of a glitch and Mega Mawile wasn't supposed to be in RU in the first place, so they didn't bother mentioning it. Also it happened in Alpha I think.
  15. Punchshroom

Great, so this is basically the whole "wait for higher tiers to drop the Mega Stones slowly tier by tier" as opposed to "Mega Stones start off in the same tier as the base mon, quickban/suspect if necessary". Can't say I like this approach.
  16. Martin

Martin Like the hole in a doughnut
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributor

I'm so used to Amoonguss being a staple of doubles metas, so this is really offputting for me--especially when I consider that Araquanid is basically in the same boat as Vaporeon in singles (compresses roles but doesn't actually do anything that something else doesn't do better) and I can't really think what it does in dubs that other things wouldn't do better outside of hyper team specific role compression. Then again, I don't play gen 7 dubs so I'm probably missing something. It's still bewildering for me though.

Could you elaborate on what Araquanid does that makes it viable in doubles?
  17. MaahirMomtaz12

MaahirMomtaz12

It's known for Water Bubble Liquidation which destroys any bulky Pokémon. It's also known for Entrainment where it can pass its ability to another Water-type. That's just some of the things about Araquanid
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  18. Arcticblast

is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

On top of that Liquidation being strong as hell, Wide Guard is a very strong move in Doubles, and with its Ground/Water/Fire resists + Wide Guard it's a solid check to Zygarde, Charizard Y, Heatran, and Kingdra rain at the same time. It doesn't offer a whole lot else besides good typing + reasonable bulk + Liquidation though (your next best move is Lunge as a utility move, but when are you ever using that?), so it's not top tier or anything.
    Entrainment isn't worth using, Gastrodon is too rare to bother
  19. Rennyjesus

Rennyjesus

The use of Entrainment is not for passing through water absorb pokes, but for allies like Gyarados and Azumarrill that would enjoy the added strenght on their principal STABs and a burn immunity...
  20. Arcticblast

Except then you have two Water types on your team in a metagame where Tapu Koko is one of the strongest Pokemon around and every team has at least two checks to Water types (also why the FUCK are you removing Azumarill's Huge Power lmao)
  21. lost heros

lost heros Meme Master

The Mega Pokemon are considered unique Pokémon from their base form. Any mega Pokémon is effectively an unreleased Pokémon, and all unreleased Pokémon start as default in OU until their usage drops it to UU and then they're UU till the usage drops again. Besides can you imagine having Mega Mawile in RU? It'd be insane.
    thesecondbest likes this.
  22. Punchshroom

Yes I know this, but the point I'm making is that it'd be less costly/time-consuming for lower tiers if the Mega Stones were immediately available in the same tier as the base Pokemon. If an overpowered Mega Stone, such as Altarianite and Lopunnite, were to be released in the base Pokemon's home tier, it can be resolved immediately with quickbans or suspects, and there's even the possibility that via the latter, the Mega Stone might prove to be not that overwhelming after all. However, with the current system, lower tiers have to wait at least a month before even getting the chance to use some of the lesser Mega Stones, such as Cameruptite, Steelixite, Audinite, etc.

Of course, this is only me expressing my dissenting opinion anyway, and I wouldn't be that bothered if they stuck with it since the whole "unreleased Pokemon starting in OU" system still makes sense; I'm just voicing my surprise that they changed up the Mega distribution system at all.
  23. Hanken

Hanken

Just as a thought, maybe place the mega in the tier it previously was in last gen (or closest to it). By doing this, the balancing of the mon generally stays the same. Also, because a large chunk of megas are generally centered around the NU-UU area, it would be a nice time to start placement this way.
  24. thesecondbest

thesecondbest Just Kidding I'm First

That's why the quickdropping system exists, so bad megas fall quickly. Better than ruining a tier until a broken mon gets banned.
  25. Test Bot #

Test Bot #

The fact that Oranguru is used more than Volcarona and Azumarill in Doubles OU saddens me. Well, not really, but it will probably remain as one of those "lower ladder" staples that will never get to see the light of DUU or even DNU.
    Arcticblast likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)