Resource Useful LC stuff / Introductions / Simple Questions Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best fourth move (after Eruption, Fire Blast and HP Grass) on a Scarf Cyndaquil this gen? Nature Power was the name of the game last gen, but that's now Tri Attack, so...

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What's the best fourth move (after Eruption, Fire Blast and HP Grass) on a Scarf Cyndaquil this gen? Nature Power was the name of the game last gen, but that's now Tri Attack, so...
Maybe Extrasensory? The coverage it gives isn't all that great though.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I'd say Quick Attack, since it has a bit more utility than Extrasensory.
Quick Attack isn't going to be doing a lot, I'm afraid. And even if you make it slightly decent, you'll have to run a nature other than Modest or Timid for any kind of relevant priority damage output, which will make Cyndaquil even more squishy than it already is.

Hellow LC
I'm Pikasohn and I've been playing other tiers for quite a long time before coming here to LC
Ever since I saw it I fell it love :3, and I started to abandon all the other tiers because of LC's attractiveness
I came to smogon after a while of playing LC already, and I would love to become friends with you all :]

I am SPD
Back in the good old days when Goddes Briyella didn't have a scrolling postbit of ;) b/w 2 I was pretty well known on the ladder and forums making arguably one of the best weather-less and balanced teams of b/w and gaining a CC for my contributions to this forum. I went on a huge leave of absence but I will be around lc a bit more now and it is time for me to take a crack at this x/y shit even regardless whether or not blara has fucked the tier up :OOOOOOO its good to be around my lovely LC friends again :D

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
I am SPD
Back in the good old days when Goddes Briyella didn't have a scrolling postbit of ;) b/w 2 I was pretty well known on the ladder and forums making arguably one of the best weather-less and balanced teams of b/w and gaining a CC for my contributions to this forum. I went on a huge leave of absence but I will be around lc a bit more now and it is time for me to take a crack at this x/y shit even regardless whether or not blara has fucked the tier up :OOOOOOO its good to be around my lovely LC friends again :D
HOLY CRAP SPD I LOVE YOU SIGN MY PROFILE

Hey, I'm Dr. sableye and I have played competitively since gen 5, but I knew how it worked since gen 4. I have always been a lurker on the forums and I decided to try contributing more as I learn the metagame more. As for irl, I am 14 (but I am not an immature idiot), going into high school and I play the violin, piano, soccer, and I draw. I hope to get to know some of you much more as I become part of the community in lc.

Um, in LC Clamperl rules! Im not even kidding guys, the set i have and i sweep quite a bit with it is:
HP Fighting
Shell Smash
Surf
Ice Beam.
Give it the deepseatooth (raises Sp.At) and EV's: 248 in Sp.At/76 in special defense/184 in speed. Give it a modest ability and make sure you send it in when you're sure someone is setting up! ~Opple

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Um, in LC Clamperl rules! Im not even kidding guys, the set i have and i sweep quite a bit with it is:
HP Fighting
Shell Smash
Surf
Ice Beam.
Give it the deepseatooth (raises Sp.At) and EV's: 248 in Sp.At/76 in special defense/184 in speed. Give it a modest ability and make sure you send it in when you're sure someone is setting up! ~Opple
problem with clamp is cottonee and knock off spam, knock off spam takes off its best item while cotton encores it into setup, so it isn't that great :@

problem with clamp is cottonee and knock off spam, knock off spam takes off its best item while cotton encores it into setup, so it isn't that great :@
But Clamperl is to be set out after a Cottonee, its built for other set ups and as a last resort too. Dont set up when cot is in and go for an ice beam to try destroy that thing. :D

HP Fighting
Shell Smash
Surf
Ice Beam.
In all honesty, I'd suggest HP Grass over HP Fight on this set, since it allows you to hit Water-types (Chinchou) for 2x damage, whereas the rest of your moves are resisted. I'm curious as to why you use HP Fight, as Pawniard is hit hard enough by Surf and HP Fire would be more suitable for Ferroseed.

In all honesty, I'd suggest HP Grass over HP Fight on this set, since it allows you to hit Water-types (Chinchou) for 2x damage, whereas the rest of your moves are resisted. I'm curious as to why you use HP Fight, as Pawniard is hit hard enough by Surf and HP Fire would be more suitable for Ferroseed.
HP fighting was more towards the fact that it was a filler. And that is literally all it way. :/ I am rethinking my clamperl set, but this has been very successful so far!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I don't think Cottonee is the biggest issue for Clamperl, since otherwise, Clamperl would likely have seen more usage before Cottonee rose in popularity. As GlassGlaceon mentioned, Knock Off is HUGE in LC, as one of the most defining aspects of the metagame, since so many Pokemon rely on Eviolite for bulk, and Knock Off is able to permanently cripple them; this same attack significantly lowers Clamperl's damage output, to the point where many bulkier Pokemon can survive its attacks with ease. Other than that, Clamperl's reliance on Deepseatooth is detrimental in another aspect: it leaves Clamperl unable to hold an Eviolite itself, rendering its bulk mediocre at best, and making it even more difficult for Clamperl to set up, especially in a fairly offensive metagame. More importantly, powerful priority moves from the likes of Fletchling and Pawniard run rampant, and at -1 and without Eviolite, Clamperl finds itself incredibly vulnerable to these attacks due to its own lack of priority, even if it does nab a Shell Smash boost. If a Modest nature is run, Clamperl is actually outsped by several notable Choice Scarf users, even after a boost, all of which are able to swiftly KO. With all that being said, Shell Smash Clamperl is still able to function as a decent win condition with some support; it's just not quite a metagame-defining threat at the moment.

I don't think Cottonee is the biggest issue for Clamperl, since otherwise, Clamperl would likely have seen more usage before Cottonee rose in popularity. As GlassGlaceon mentioned, Knock Off is HUGE in LC, as one of the most defining aspects of the metagame, since so many Pokemon rely on Eviolite for bulk, and Knock Off is able to permanently cripple them; this same attack significantly lowers Clamperl's damage output, to the point where many bulkier Pokemon can survive its attacks with ease. Other than that, Clamperl's reliance on Deepseatooth is detrimental in another aspect: it leaves Clamperl unable to hold an Eviolite itself, rendering its bulk mediocre at best, and making it even more difficult for Clamperl to set up, especially in a fairly offensive metagame. More importantly, powerful priority moves from the likes of Fletchling and Pawniard run rampant, and at -1 and without Eviolite, Clamperl finds itself incredibly vulnerable to these attacks due to its own lack of priority, even if it does nab a Shell Smash boost. If a Modest nature is run, Clamperl is actually outsped by several notable Choice Scarf users, even after a boost, all of which are able to swiftly KO. With all that being said, Shell Smash Clamperl is still able to function as a decent win condition with some support; it's just not quite a metagame-defining threat at the moment.
I forgot to add the ability! Woops! Ability Rattled. Dark type moves raise its speed! Worth the cripple imo.

Omaynte is better with stronger defense no reliance and Still is hits hard with a bit better coverage. Earth Power, Surf, Ice Beam coverage is amazing it also gets to have eviolite give it's base 100 defense.

Hello , I'm Sunny, i played LC in at the end of BW2 and in the beginning or XY. I just find this meta funny and cool so i decided to come back, and my love Briyella is here to help me ♥ all what i want is to be known by every member in this community, have good friends, participate in tournaments...
That's all, frens. ThxBye ♥

Last edited:
Hello , I'm Sunny, i played LC in at the end of BW2 and in the beginning or XY. I just find this meta funny and cool so i decided to come back, and my love Briyella is here to help me ♥ all what i want is to be known by every member in this community, have good friends, participate in tournaments...
That's all, frens. ThxBye ♥

Welcome between us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)